Carrie Hope Fletcher #6 Over 800 books and she's reading tattle

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

I skimmed it and ended up at 2.26 in - her proof copy.

Jesus. So smug.

It just comes across some pretentious.
OMG I've never heard a booktuber mention proof copies so many times in video other than for hauls etc. Was really pissing me off. I swear she hadn't read half of them either.

Reactions: 9
Also what a coincidence that Oliver just happened to turn up in that video when everyone was speculating here if he was still about

Reactions: 2
I bet 95% of the arcs are from penguin, her own publisher. They do that hoping for a quote for the cover.

Reactions: 4
Hey everyone, here's the final part! We made it to the end, woo! Thanks everyone for all your support with this. It's been great to have an extra project in these days of isolation, and I hope you enjoyed the summary. I have strong feelings about the ending, so make what you will of it...

OH GOD. They said it couldn’t be done. They said there would never be a chapter I hated more than chapter twelve. But behold: chapter twenty-one. This chapter ties up all of the loose ends in the book and brings the story to a close-but it’s bad. I’ve avoided full-on shitting on the book until now, but this is just straight up, unarguably not good. What’s frustrating is that with a bit of editing, it didn’t have to be this way, but this is the book we have, and not the book we wish we did.

So half the final chapter is given over to Walter relaying what happened to Fawn to Oscar. A blow-by-blow retelling of the whole story, from Hamish to the pearl bullet. I mean, I get that Oscar doesn’t know, but the reader does-we just had five chapters of it! Having to read a recap of what we just read a minute ago in the previous chapter just feels…patronising. And boring. Anyway, Walter calls Oscar “boy”, like all the older men in this book call all the younger men, and Oscar calls him “old man”, which would be quite a funny retort if I thought it wasn’t meant to be serious. Carrie’s over-explaining of everything is rife in this chapter-for example, Walter refers to Fawn, the love of his life as “the rising starlet that was Fawn Burrows”. I mean, why would he say that? The reader knows that’s what she was, and why would Walter refer to someone he was close to in such a detached way if not for the benefit of the reader? Walter also calls her the best actress he’s ever seen, and Oscar thinks “I hope he’s not including Olive”, because Olive is all anyone in this book ever thinks about. I don’t know why that annoyed me, but it did. Oscar’s friend just had his arm crushed, he’s realised that ghosts are real and able to hurt the living, and all he’s worried about was oh, Olive’s the best actress to ever live, don’t you know? Gah.

So Walter is still haunted by Fawn’s death because he doesn’t know if she stepped in front of the bullet on purpose. Which is a bit peculiar, because as I said, the ensemble girls who saw the whole thing seemed to know at once that it wasn’t an accident, despite not knowing anything about the situation? But go off, I guess. I like that he’s not certain and he’s still haunted all these years later, but considering (spoiler) that Walter does get closure at the end of this chapter, it might have been structured better if Carrie had kept the reader in the dark as to why Fawn had stepped in front of the bullet. If we hadn’t got Fawn’s point of view as she was making the decision to step in front of the bullet, and instead had been following Walter’s POV, we could have suffered with him as readers and his closure would have been a release for us too, and therefore much more emotionally impactful. Instead, because the reader already knows, Walter’s worrying about it is frankly a bit dull and pointless.

To answer the question you’re probably asking too as you read this, Walter did try to ask Fawn’s ghost why she did it, but she always vanished as soon as he did, so he stopped asking in order to spend more time with her when she appeared. Fair. Quite admirable there: Carrie saw a plot hole and filled it with something pretty reasonable.

Anyway, Walter tells Oscar that if Hamish’s ghost is around too, it’s not a good idea to leave Olive alone, because apparently even the dead are obsessed with her (they are, they all are, you’ll see). So Walter and Oscar go back to the scene of Doug’s accident, everyone is really upset about it, and the cast are comforting each other. They call out for Olive, who is standing in the rafters. Please stay with me here, because it’s a bit woolly.

So Hamish’s ghost has possessed Olive’s body (stay with me). Walter tells him to leave Olive alone, as she has nothing to do with any of this, but Hamish says that she has “everything” to do with this. Because Olive is the centre of the universe. Hamish tells us that he’s been hanging around haunting this theatre ever since his “sorry life” ended. Hold on a second-why would Hamish, the conceited twat, call his own life “sorry”? This is what I mean when I say that all the characters are cartoons with black and white morality. Hamish is aware that he’s evil and lived a bad life-he basically turns to the camera and says “I am the bad guy. You are not supposed to like me”. The mark of a good villain is that they think, despite everything, that they are in the right. I hate to cite JK Rowling as an example, but look at Lord Voldemort-even he thought he was doing the right thing with his wizard superiority-over-muggles thing. But Hamish knows that he is baaaad. It’s the least subtle thing ever.

Anyway, Hamish says that the ghosts were able to materialise because Oscar and Olive have fallen in love in the theatre. That’s it. That’s the reason. Hamish has Olive grab the prop gun and put it to her head, saying that because he lost Fawn, he’s going to take Olive from Oscar because mwah-ha-ha-ha he’s evil. He reveals that it was Oscar he meant to hit when he sent the light crashing down, but somehow he mistook him for Doug???? Despite the fact it’s never been mentioned that they even look vaguely alike, other than that they’re both…men, I guess???? But okay, I’ll suspend my disbelief.

Meanwhile, our girl Olive is in there fighting. She tries to force Hamish out, but it’s just no use. Luckily, it’s Fawn to the rescue! She manages to expel Hamish from Olive’s body and climbs in herself so she can talk to Walter, because apparently we’re going by Whoopi Goldberg ghost rules-but oh no, Hamish has latched onto Walter instead, and tries to have Walter shoot himself with the gun. Walter’s fighting him-but instead of doing literally anything to save himself-this bullshit freaking happens:

Walter, WITH A GUN TO HIS HEAD goes into a page-long monologue about how wonderful Olive is. I’m not even kidding. It’s all, Oscar, you’re the luckiest person in the world to have Olive, because she’s a total gem and not like other girls, and she’s prepared to let Oscar screw her around because she just wuvs him so much. I wish I was joking. I’m sure I don’t have to remind you at this point that Olive is a self-insert character. At the beginning of the book wer were told that Olive's only flaw is letting people take advantage of her, but I guess it's okay if it's Oscar. What's character development, after all, in the face of tru wuv? Then Fawn backs this up, waxing lyrical about how special the two Os are together. A quick reminder that they do this while Hamish is supposedly fighting to take over Walter’s body. I kind of get that they want the Os to have the life they couldn’t, but it’s just another example of the world revolving around Olive and every single character living to praise her, and it’s SO ANNOYING.

Anyway, after a SECOND monologue about how Olive’s so wonderful and not like other girls-and then a THIRD monologue about Olive-I’m not even exaggerating, I wish I was-Walter lets Hamish make him shoot himself so that he can be with Fawn. So in this man’s dying moments, all he does is go on and on and on about Olive. It just royally pissed me off, I’m sorry. I liked Walter and Fawn, who both actually suffered during the story, unlike the Os who get (spoiler) a Cinderella ending (pun intended). Fawn and Walter deserved better. (look at me actually caring about these character lol)

So Hamish is banished by the gunshot, and Fawn and Walter (restored to his youth) are ghosts together, and now they can both go “on”. This had so much potential to be a completely lovely scene, with the two star-crossed lovers reunited and at peace at last. But WAIT. Before poor Fawn can go, she has to deliver one last speech to Olive about how special she is and what a brilliant actor she is…why? This poor girl had a completely horrible and short life, her death has been unrestful, and now she’s got to spend her final moments joining the we-love-Olive fan club that is comprised of every single character in this book but Tamara and Jane? Girl, Olive is terrible.

ANYWAY. One last annoying, self-indulgent thing happens in this chapter. Just before Fawn and Walter finally take their leave, the Southern Cross Theatre is filled with ghosts of the audience who were present the night Fawn died. SERIOUSLY. I get that’s it’s supposed to be cinematic, but you’re expecting me to believe that ALL these freaking hundreds of ghosts, with their own lives and families, have all hung around in this theatre for however long since they died, just to see a random actress they saw ONCE (remember WTCF was her debut, it’s not like she’s Judi Dench) take her final bow. SERIOUSLY. I am done. I am done.

I’m not done. The epilogue. Oh God, the epilogue.

I didn’t think I could dislike this book more, but my expectations are constantly surpassed. So the epilogue is set twelve years later, where we are met with an extract of a magazine article about Olive Green. Olive, two time Olivier award winner, which is basically like the British Tony Award as far as I know, is starring in Cat On A Hot Tin Roof on Broadway. But the article tells us that this isn’t even Olive’s Broadway debut (that would be too exciting, and this book has remained steadily boring), because WTCF transferred to Broadway. I don’t know much about theatre, so I don’t know how likely that is, but go off. It’s nice that Doug’s accident didn’t harm the production at all (for Olive of course, not for Doug). Anyway, so we find out Oscar’s career has similarly taken off and he is starring as the sidekick in an Indiana Jones remake, so he’s gone from being a soap actor to an international star. Fair, I guess, if you must. Oh, and we find out that Oscar and Olive got married. Because of course they freaking did. I’m actually happy for them, because they’re both as annoying and patronising and sanctimonious as each other.

Olive’s friend Lou (who I’ve not mentioned up until this point and you’ve not noticed her missing because she appears only via text in the book and, yes, you guessed it, exists to praise Olive) gives her a call and they talk about how brilliant Olive is and how wonderful New York is, and how they call Oscar Mr Green, which is fair I guess, but Olive takes the opportunity to clunkily explain that although she’s married, she’s keeping Green forever as her stage name. Fair. Lou uses the word “corking”, which is weirdly old-fashioned and just makes her sound like Olive and, you know, literally every other character in the book.

Anyway, so Oscar’s in the audience watching Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, and he gets recognised by some squealing teens. Some random person tells him they don’t like the Indiana Jones remake, so he totally owns them by saying, well, he has had dinner with Harrison Ford so-HA! GOT THEM!

Anyway, the show is “an undeniable success”, and while everyone’s clapping, the producer’s son says that he’ll be taking Olive Green home at the end of the night. I guess this is supposed to be a call-back to Hamish, but it’s a bit lackluster. Anyway, Oscar leans over to him and is like “Oh, you see…I’m her husband.” like it’s a big reveal, even though we’ve already been told a million times in the epilogue that yes, Oscar and Olive are married. It would have been better if we didn’t know, and it was a reveal-or if the reveal was that Olive's husband was someone else-but I’ve said that a thousand times through this summary, and there's no point saying it again.

Oscar says how lucky he is to have Olive. That’s it. That’s the end of the book.

I’m left frustrated. Carrie clearly has good ideas, but she needs either more time or more assistance to make them happen as well as they deserve. Olive hasn’t suffered, and she hasn’t changed as a character, or learned anything, or become a better person-she is exactly the same. This whole book has just been about people praising her and telling her she’s perfect. Perhaps that’s the moral-people don’t have to change-but since Olive is such a sanctimonious, patronising self-insert, it feels disingenuous. That’s the trouble when your lead is a Mary Sue self-insert-a writer is really shooting themselves in the foot when their lead is supposed to reflect them, and they’re not willing to criticise them as a result. Carrie has done herself dirty if we’re supposed to see her in Olive, who is terrible. Wish-fulfilment (just as an example in the epilogue, Carrie has mentioned dreaming of Broadway herself) can also ruin a good ending, as we can clearly see here; a supermegahappy ending is just dull and predictable. Maybe Oscar has changed-I’ll give him that much credit, but the only change is that he's committing to Olive now. He's still a patronising idiot. Point is, there were so many good parts about this book that were ruined by the totally unlikable and unrelatable protagonist, poor structure, over-explaining, clunky prose and dialogue, and no distinct character voices. It’s probably not Carrie’s fault if no one at her publisher’s is trying to make her a better writer, because her name sells books anyway. Whoever Carrie is working with either needs to be harsher with her edits, or frankly, do more work to make Carrie’s end product better. She has potential to be a good story-teller, and it’s such a shame. That’s my final word on this book. It’s a shame.

The whole summary of WTCF has totalled over thirteen thousand words, which is a considerable amount of your time to have spent reading, so thank you for all the support on this site and I really hope you’ve enjoyed it! Love, agirlofnoimportance

Reactions: 26
Love your summary, as always, and I find it both hilarious and infuriating that her books are _this_ bad, and she still gets to call herself an author. I knew they were bad, but I didn't know the level of it. This just makes me want to tell the publishing industry to get it together and _at least_ edit her books before forcing them on the public.

Reactions: 8
I’m sorry you had to go through the book but I am thankfull you told us the plot.
The randomly chaning POVS would have driven me crazy

also for someone who had done video from years and is a performer....that chocolate add was terrible

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
That video - great, Carrie, you live in your own mini Waterstones. How much have you actually read though?

Reactions: 14
Inspired by @agirlofnoimportance, I went to check out the reviews for this book on Goodreads, and they are also hilariously shady and accurate!
I just read a few reviews and they fall into two categories - those who worship the ground she walks on and who are completely blind to any faults (i.e. the superfans) and those who want to like her work but are repeatedly disappointed by the piss-poor editing and self-insertions. She really should give it up. And god her YouTube is sooooo dull these days.

Reactions: 7
I haven’t read any of her books, but when I hear the concept I think they sound okay. Sounds like they have the potential but the editors just don’t care. You hear Carrie raving about her editors, does she not realise they do the bare minimum when it comes to her books?

Reactions: 5
Just when I thought the marketing of Cinderella couldn’t get more confused, we now have a recipe for buns added in to the mix. I know it’s Easter but really?

Reactions: 12
Maybe everything to do with Cinderella was just one huge, expensive April Fools Joke and today they'll announce the actual cast and a solid concept/storyline.

Reactions: 11
Someone on Theatreboard posted about this article speculating that ALW wants Paul Mescal from Normal People for Cinderella. I'd rather not give The Daily Mail clicks, but I'd never heard of him in contact with Cinderella before, so that's interesting. Apparently there was a video with the "hot cross buns baker" singing about...buns...before it was taken down. The caption they used about him.. and his "buns" and the winky face emoji...just when I think they can't possibly make it worse, they turn it into even more of an absolute cringefest once again.

I feel so bad for anyone involved with this show. On the Cinderella Twitter account, there's a sound clip of Emerald Fennell "introducing us to Belleville" (the town in Cinderella, apparently). It. Is. So. Cringe. I can't....On Theatreboard, someone said she makes it sound like it is going to turn into Magic Mike

Attachments

Reactions: 2
Carrie shared that video to her story. I did try to find it on the cinderella twitter and tiktok and it wasn't there. The talent thats being dragged into this shit show is too much. First Ivano, now poor Paul.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.