Caroline Hirons #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This thread is so fascinating - what a breath of fresh air! I’d always been a “face wash and nivea” girl and never suffered with skin problems. I was lucky to have good skin and people would compliment it.

A few years ago when I hit the big 3-0 and had more disposable income I started to read more from sali Hughes and Caroline Hirons. I feel hook line and sinker for CH’s skincare cheat sheets. I also remember her saying “spend the most money on your face. If you’re willing to spend big money on your handbag you should be willing to spend as much on your skin”

I didn’t spend heaps, but I did have a multi-step routine as recommended by CH. Then, I started to get terrible cystic acne. I’ve no doubt much of it has been hormone related but it’s been awful. Nothing seemed to help so at the beginning of 2020 I stripped my “routine” to cleansing (no more abrasive hot flannels either), a cerave eye cream, and Effaclar Duo to treat my spots. I use moisturiser as and when my skin needs it. My skin isn’t completely recovered but it seems to be getting there. I heartily regret falling for it all.

Skin care is a bit like diet and nutrition in that one regime doesn’t fit all. You know your skin better than anyone else.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
She’s talked about the hair thing before. She went blonde because her natural hair is quite grey now apparently and she was finding the root upkeep on dark/brunette hair much harder to manage. IIRC, she said she was having to go to the colourist every few weeks and it was time consuming and not great for the condition of her hair. The blonde allows the greys to blend and she can go longer between colours. It was a practical decision rather than an aesthetic one.

Reactions: 3
This thread is so fascinating - what a breath of fresh air! I’d always been a “face wash and nivea” girl and never suffered with skin problems. I was lucky to have good skin and people would compliment it.

A few years ago when I hit the big 3-0 and had more disposable income I started to read more from sali Hughes and Caroline Hirons. I feel hook line and sinker for CH’s skincare cheat sheets. I also remember her saying “spend the most money on your face. If you’re willing to spend big money on your handbag you should be willing to spend as much on your skin”

I didn’t spend heaps, but I did have a multi-step routine as recommended by CH. Then, I started to get terrible cystic acne. I’ve no doubt much of it has been hormone related but it’s been awful. Nothing seemed to help so at the beginning of 2020 I stripped my “routine” to cleansing (no more abrasive hot flannels either), a cerave eye cream, and Effaclar Duo to treat my spots. I use moisturiser as and when my skin needs it. My skin isn’t completely recovered but it seems to be getting there. I heartily regret falling for it all.

Skin care is a bit like diet and nutrition in that one regime doesn’t fit all. You know your skin better than anyone else.
Exactly the same! I had a basic routine and skin people would compliment me on. Started following SH, CH et al, acids here and there and all of a sudden cystic acne! I think it is mainly hormonal but I too have stripped back my routine now and it seems to be the best it has been in a long time. Don’t believe the hype!

Reactions: 7

It's dreadful isn't it? This woman is not a dermatologist and yet she feels she can tell people what to do with their skin. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think dermatologists of the future are going to see a lot of women with seriously compromised skin because of all the crap they've been encouraged to plaster it with by people like Caroline. If someone is happy with their basic routine and it works for their skin why is this woman actively encouraging them to spend loads of money on stuff they don't need - I wonder 🤔🤔🤔. I used to work for dermatologists in an NHS hospital and I think they'd be really shocked with what some people are doing to their poor faces.

Reactions: 13
Exactly the same of my skin getting worse due to all of the products. I'm late 20s with oily skin and prone to breakouts. Since lockdown all I've been using is cerave hydrating cleanser am and pm, and acnecide in the morning/Avene triacneal in the evenings (when I remember anyway!) and I've seen a massive improvement! I havent used moisturiser at all though and am concerned I shouldn't stop using it so might introduce a light one and use when needed.

Exactly the same! I had a basic routine and skin people would compliment me on. Started following SH, CH et al, acids here and there and all of a sudden cystic acne! I think it is mainly hormonal but I too have stripped back my routine now and it seems to be the best it has been in a long time. Don’t believe the hype!
It’s so disheartening to suffer with skin problems - I felt so gross when my acne was at its worst.

Out of interest, what are you putting on your skin nowadays?

It’s so disheartening to suffer with skin problems - I felt so gross when my acne was at its worst.

Out of interest, what are you putting on your skin?

I am still using some of my old items, but I’m using:

am: cerave salicylic acid face wash
Pixi vit c serum
Rodial SPF 15 moisturiser cream

pm
Same face wash
Hyaluronic acid serum from Superdrug (about£3!)

Alternate nights I use a solution from Dermatica, an online dermatologist. They are really good and are actual doctors and qualified derms.

I’ve also been taking a DIM supplement because I believe it is mainly hormonal and topical items alone will not fix it, Omega 3 and Zinc supplements

My skin is nowhere near where it was even 18 months ago, but it’s getting better. Hardly any cystic acne, just ‘comedones’ under my skin.

Once I’ve got it back to near as normal I won’t indulge in all this stuff anymore, just pare it right back and wear SPF! in all honesty I was a No 7 girl when everything was hunkydory!

Incidentally, I DM’d CH a while back because she mentioned Obagi which is meant to be amazing for acne and I wanted her opinion before I bought it. She never replied 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 1
Hi I’m new here and found this group by default from the Caroline Hirons Freaks group, ( I’m fairly new there too), someone had asked a question about beauty pie, (mentioned the spat but said it’s all been discussed before and google if you want to know, so I did).
Glad I did as it’s brought me here.
I’ve read through both threads and found a lot of honesty. I had great concerns and confusion about what to apply and when and was questioning the amount of products that are deemed necessary to have good skin. I’ve cleansed, toner and moisturised forever.
One member in particular I found made rounded comments and I have to thank her “save the drama” so thank you.
Through others I have found some other ladies to follow so I have started to follow them and I did laugh at the quip about the ‘good morning shows and the vitamin c debacle.
It was disappointing to find out about the lack of honesty about the impartiality but answered another question as to why CH never mentions manufacturers such as Elemis who I know are a good brand.
I’ve also laughed to find that a bunch of ladies dislike and don’t understand how someone can make a career out cleaning without leaving home.
Stay safe 💖

What did you find out about why CH doesn’t mention certain brands? Is it discussed on her board? I assume it’s conflict but would be interested to know if it’s discussed rationally on there rather than defensively.

Reactions: 2
What did you find out about why CH doesn’t mention certain brands? Is it discussed on her board? I assume it’s conflict but would be interested to know if it’s discussed rationally on there rather than defensively.
Because she isn’t impartial, so it’d be a conflict. I’d understand if she didn’t like someone because she didn’t rate them but that’s different.
No I realised about the lack of impartiality from this group.
And I feel more comfortable now I have the bigger picture as I was getting really uncomfortable about the whole scene.

what happened with ch and beautypie? i can't find anything on google.

I don’t know anything about Beauty Pie or her not talking about brands like Elemis, have I missed some threads?

She had a big fall out with the guy who runs Drunk Elephant because he told someone through DM that Caroline didn't know what she was talking about. Not sure about Beauty Pie, she's got one of their cleansers in her newest box so I wouldn't have thought much?? Although saying that, she slagged off Sunday Riley a while back and all of a sudden she was their number one fan again.

I’ve just noticed myself over the years that she never mentions Olay, massive heritage brand, recognised by most of us with price points to suit most of us too etc.

Last edited:
She's so aggressive when she's talking to camera on instagram stories, I can't bear it. What is with the chin touching, pointing and necklace fixing? So irritating and I've noticed others starting to do it too, Bryony Blake being one of them. She's not aggressive but she has adopted the chin touch, pointing and necklace fiddling. :rolleyes: Caroline is absolutely not someone you should try to emulate.

Reactions: 4
All the talking heads on social media fondle their faces so much. I used to think it was about showing off your mani and getting free ones but everyone’s got gash nails right now.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.