Carly Burd Salty Allotment #3 a pinch of salt for free

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
View attachment 2745682

It just occurred to me when reading this, there's really an assumption that our elders have a lot of knowledge that they may well don't have, probably as part of our uniquely British inclination to see WW2 as a lot closer than it actually is. Well, some 'elders' will, but

For example, my grandfather (who would be in his 90s were he still alive), was a small child when the war started and in his mid-teens when it ended. He lived in the suburb of a city. His family probably grew vegetables during the war but I have little to no memory of him doing so. I think he probably just went Sainsbury's.
My parents are 80 in a couple of years. It was the generation before that which experienced, as children, keeping animals for food in the yard. My mother grew up in a house attached to a market garden (mostly flowers, some fruit and vegetables). My parents, as adults, grew some fruit and vegetables, but we were in no way self-sufficient in them. The generations which have direct, lived experience of subsistence farming, which is what she's describing here, are mostly dead.

Reactions: 15
No one’s going to feed their family wholly or mainly from an allotment. That said, there are lots of good reasons for community allotment projects - but Carlzzzzz isn’t running one!
(unlike Colin)

• Haha
Reactions: 13
No one’s going to feed their family wholly or mainly from an allotment. That said, there are lots of good reasons for community allotment projects - but Carlzzzzz isn’t running one!
(unlike Colin)
Colin is the only Harlow Elder to have shown any interest in this project and she banished him.*

*to his allotment

• Haha
Reactions: 17
The Cumbria Zen man?
That weirdo follows me on instagram (I have a gardening account) He’s liked and commented on a few of my posts and I’ve seen him in the comments of lots of other female gardening/allotment accounts giving unsolicited ‘advice’ including telling someone who had just moved house and was sharing her plans for her lovely big garden that it would be ‘too much for her’!!

• Wow
  • Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 15
yeah what type of elder does she mean? Being old doesn’t automatically mean you know anything about horticulture… or how to teach children. The lady at my son’s nursery who instigated their vegetable patch is in her 40s. Is she after 90yo? Does this count as age discrimination? As ever, so many questions

Reactions: 6
yeah what type of elder does she mean? Being old doesn’t automatically mean you know anything about horticulture… or how to teach children. The lady at my son’s nursery who instigated their vegetable patch is in her 40s. Is she after 90yo? Does this count as age discrimination? As ever, so many questions
My dad is in his 80s and can’t even keep a pot plant alive! It’s actually a luxury to many to not know.

Reactions: 4
Since the initial allegations of a certain substance being consumed, the late evening pie-in-the-sky we will do this we will do that updates have made a lot more sense tbf. (And I don't personally care what people do or don't consume, although of course don't agree with people lying)
---
Spill it, comment squig, and we'll nominate you for a BBC Essex award!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.