Calling in sick

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I used to work in retail, I’d been feeling quite unwell but kept dragging myself into work. One particular day I went in to do a 9-6 shift really not feeling myself & asked if I could go home as I felt dreadful. This was about 11.30am, my manager said I couldn’t leave any earlier than 5pm. Later that night I was in A&E and spent 10 days in intensive care with sepsis from a kidney infection.
I continued to work their for another 5 years but I never forgot the way management made me feel that day.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
I always feel so, so guilty about calling in sick. I go into so much detail in my texts/emails as I feel like I have to justify myself!

I’ve worked at a particular shop a couple of times as a Christmas temp and I remember we were all told we must come in for every shift unless we were on deaths door 😳

I woke up one Sunday morning and I was absolutely full of cold, with a banging headache and barely any voice. I felt awful and lived at home at the time - my parents told me not to go in as I was so poorly and I’d be coughing and sneezing all over the customers.

Just before Christmas some permanent positions became available and all the temps were told to apply. I was great at the job and loved it so I applied, but was called in to the back office one day and told I hadn’t been successful in securing a permanent role cos I’d had that day off. Absolutely shocking!

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I hate ringing in sick, I doesn't matter how genuine I am, I always worry they won't believe me. I don't do it often but in my current job all you have to do is email the boss, who is fine about it. Thankfully I only had to do it once when I was in a car accident towards the end of last year and I was only off one day but honestly the guilt and anxiety I had even though I was being honest, was awful. I work for a great company though and everyone is respectful, its a good place to work, nobody takes sick days.

My previous job people took the piss all the time, One guy faked his own grandmothers death just because he had been on the coke the night before and hadn't made it to bed :confused::(

I have worked in places late teens that would say no voicemails or texts, has to be a phonecall... then massive back to work disciplinary's etc when you did go back in.

Worked for Tesco when I was 18 and my manager was a real cow, one of our best friends committed suicide and I was really in a bad place because of it, I had told them I would be taking the Thursday off to go to her funeral which they said would be no problems however on the day off the funeral my manager rang and demanded to know where I was, I reminded her it was my friends funeral, she didn't even apologise for forgetting, just hung up the phone. I genuinely liked worked there and had made lots of friendships with both customers and staff so I was really sorry to leave.

I know some people seriously take the piss in regards to phoning in sick but some people are genuine and it just isn't fair to assume everyone is lying!

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I've worked in places where it's a rule that you have to phone in personally (including one where my colleague was told she didn't sound sick and if she didn't turn up she'd get the sack - so she did, only to faint mid-morning and have to be carted off to hospital).

Maybe it's just me, but I've always felt that if I'm sick, it's best to actually go into work and show everyone so they don't accuse you of trying to skive off. It's hard to prove things like stomach cramps though. I work from home permanently now, but in this COVID world I wouldn't hesitate to stay home if I was symptomatic.

• Wow
I've worked in places where it's a rule that you have to phone in personally (including one where my colleague was told she didn't sound sick and if she didn't turn up she'd get the sack - so she did, only to faint mid-morning and have to be carted off to hospital).

Maybe it's just me, but I've always felt that if I'm sick, it's best to actually go into work and show everyone so they don't accuse you of trying to skive off. It's hard to prove things like stomach cramps though. I work from home permanently now, but in this COVID world I wouldn't hesitate to stay home if I was symptomatic.
See it is strange my old work said if you are well enough to come in you are well enough to work. It really shows how different industries and managers work.

Reactions: 5
Also if you go in, you run the risk of infecting somebody else in the time that you’re there.

It’s terrible what some managers and companies will do to their staff though. At the end of the day, we’re all just numbers to them. Easily forgotten and easily replaced.

• Heart
Also if you go in, you run the risk of infecting somebody else in the time that you’re there.

It’s terrible what some managers and companies will do to their staff though. At the end of the day, we’re all just numbers to them. Easily forgotten and easily replaced.
I think it's really important to step back sometimes and remind yourself of this. I know that I for one am guilty sometimes of going above and beyond, doing way more than I should or is required of my paygrade, thinking I'll get some sort of acknowledgement or thanks. It never happens. I always find myself being disappointed when it never happens, and sometimes, I've taken it personally. When in reality it's not, it's because you are just a number. Easily replaced.

Next time I don't feel well enough to work and I'm forcing myself out of bed because I don't want anyone to have a negative opinion of me, I'm definitely going to have a word with myself and remind myself of this.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I was terrified of managers when I was in my early 20s and worked in retail. A lot of them are simply bullies. I know there are always exceptions but I saw too many colleagues dragging themselves in when they were clearly unwell and crying in cupboards, throwing up in the toilets, etc. They only came in because they were threatened with being sacked, and they simply needed the job and money to keep their heads above water. Some of the managers would claim those people were just hungover, but they absolutely weren't - the ones who were hungover just wouldn't show up or even step foot in the shop again.

We could probably devote an entire thread to horrendous managers!

• Sad
We could probably devote an entire thread to horrendous managers!
Now this would be fascinating; I've had some really bad experiences including a couple of managers (who didn't even manage me personally) be determined to get rid of me and make up tit about me. In the end they sort of succeeded in getting rid of me but I played them at their own game and resigned, refusing to work my notice which fucked them over. Some people are vile.

Reactions: 3
I’m quite lucky, you’ve only got to fart in my office and they’re on at you to go home 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
A few years ago I was rushed to A&E, yet I still messaged my manager in my retail job, explaining my situation and how I obviously wouldn’t be able to work. This is the reply I got, no sympathy, no get well soon, nothing! I could’ve not messaged them at all but I was a decent employee and this is what I got. Employers can be such pricks but you’ve got to put yourself and your health first!

Attachments

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 10
I have had some shocking managers in my younger years and still have that guilty feeling when calling in sick - now in a much better job and wouldn’t think twice if I needed to call in sick.

One thing that always stuck with me. A few years ago I was buying something from an hole-owned sports shop (yep, that one) and the girl serving me was literally crying while she was serving me, I asked her if she was okay and she replied that she had come to work with an ear infection and they wouldn’t let her go home and she was in agony. I spoke to her manager on the way out and gave them a bollocking - always wonder to this day if she was sent home.

• Sad
I have had some shocking managers in my younger years and still have that guilty feeling when calling in sick - now in a much better job and wouldn’t think twice if I needed to call in sick.

One thing that always stuck with me. A few years ago I was buying something from an hole-owned sports shop (yep, that one) and the girl serving me was literally crying while she was serving me, I asked her if she was okay and she replied that she had come to work with an ear infection and they wouldn’t let her go home and she was in agony. I spoke to her manager on the way out and gave them a bollocking - always wonder to this day if she was sent home.
Doubt it. She probably got a bollocking herself for getting them a bollocking off a customer.

• Sad
I remember a few years back I had the flu really bad, to then have a allergic reaction to the cold/flu medicine I was taking to then get ontop of that a ear infection cause damage to my ear causing me now to have vertigo (yay) all in all I was bed bound for around 10 days and including a visit to a&e for the reaction and vertigo.

After being off for 8 working days (sick for 10 total days) - I go back to work to be pulled up into a meeting as I have used up all my sickness for the WHOLE year as your only allowed to be off 5% of the year and anymore sickness will become disaplinarys

Any job I've worked in I hardly ever go off sick maybe 1 or 2 times for vertigo/migraine attack but when I have/do call they've made me feel so awful about doing so I rather go into work and either try to work through it or be sent home.

I'm one to if I'm sick in the evening the night before I try to call and let them know in advance so they can get cover in a previous job I had to stay and cover certain people so many times as they would call 30 mins before their shift when the rules was no less than 2 hours before and some how they always got away with it logic? (One of those you see on fb/insta the same evening out or looking not ill 🤨)

• Sad
Reactions: 1
The 2 worst managers I had when it came to sickness were both in the NHS.

I was admitted to the hospital I worked in for 8 days, my manager came to my bedside to ask when I'd be back at work.

The other one I had to ring her every day I was off even if I wasn't on shift. I didn't because I was so ill and she proceeded to give me a good shouting at.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 7
I’m a nurse and hate calling in sick. My brother in law was in a serious accident at Christmas - basically he was missing, we filed a police report and then found him as a John Doe in an ICU. I rang in work hysterical on the Sunday, saying I wouldn’t be in for the Monday. I got written up as I didn’t call on the actual Monday. Sorry Jenny hun, you guys were the last thing on my mind

• Wow

yeah I agree, for people in office style jobs how many paid sick days do you have? (if there is a limit, I know some (few) companies don't). We get 3, which clearly isn't much and just means that people always come in sick as they cannot afford to lose money, meaning then colds etc spread round the office like mad, and it is kind of pointless as no one is working well if they are ill anyway. I am wondering if when we go back to the office this attitude will change

yeah I agree, for people in office style jobs how many paid sick days do you have? (if there is a limit, I know some (few) companies don't). We get 3, which clearly isn't much and just means that people always come in sick as they cannot afford to lose money, meaning then colds etc spread round the office like mad, and it is kind of pointless as no one is working well if they are ill anyway. I am wondering if when we go back to the office this attitude will change
We don’t have a limit and I’ve not had any questions asked. I’m very lucky with my workplace from the sounds of some of your stories. I’ve only ever heard of someone being questioned on it because they tended to be “sick” on Fridays and Mondays 😂

• Haha
We don’t have a limit and I’ve not had any questions asked. I’m very lucky with my workplace from the sounds of some of your stories. I’ve only ever heard of someone being questioned on it because they tended to be “sick” on Fridays and Mondays 😂
wow you are lucky, but that is so much more logical, surely everyone has to finish their work regardless so if they are off ill they just catch up later anyway. I am lucky in the sense that I am very rarely too ill to work, but I make sure I always take my 3 days off!, basically just use them as holiday. I just make sure I don't take them when it will be a really difficult day for everyone else

I’m a nurse and hate calling in sick. My brother in law was in a serious accident at Christmas - basically he was missing, we filed a police report and then found him as a John Doe in an ICU. I rang in work hysterical on the Sunday, saying I wouldn’t be in for the Monday. I got written up as I didn’t call on the actual Monday. Sorry Jenny hun, you guys were the last thing on my mind
Oh my gosh petty tit like this drives me mad.

My partner had to go into hospital with kidney stones years ago so it was up to me to call his employer (McDonald’s at the time) to tell them he wouldn't be in for a couple of days. All I remember at the time is that they tried to ask me to get him to call himself, I was like well no because he’s laid up in hospital with no signal you idiot, me calling up on his behalf should be good enough, and then I hung up on them.

I think even if you had died some work places would still expect you to call up yourself to confirm🙄

Reactions: 2