Calling in sick

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The amount of stories here of people who work in public facing roles who are being told they still need to come in when clearly ill with sickness or diarrhoea is terrible! Not only is it not fair on you, or your colleagues, it's not fair on the members of public who you're being forced to face! I can't believe how harsh some managers are!

• Heart
Reactions: 19
The amount of stories here of people who work in public facing roles who are being told they still need to come in when clearly ill with sickness or diarrhoea is terrible! Not only is it not fair on you, or your colleagues, it's not fair on the members of public who you're being forced to face! I can't believe how harsh some managers are!
I know, reading people's experiences of this in hospitality would put you off eating out 🤢

Reactions: 6
Oh don’t get me started on how some managers treat you in the private care sector. I was 9 weeks pregnant with my first baby when I came down with a really bad kidney infection on my birthday. I was taken to hospital in an ambulance and spent three nights in with IV fluids and antibiotics. My work knew the situation as I’d called them already. My manager at the time called me every day asking when I would be back. It got to the point I had to ignore the calls but she just kept leaving voicemails.
Once out of the hospital, the doctor gave me a sick note because I needed to rest and complete my course of antibiotics, and my partner handed it in for me. When I came back everyone was lovely to me because my good news was now public knowledge, but the manager had a face like a slapped arse. I have never been one of those who takes a day off for nothing and it was a rare occurrence.

Another time after this, same company but with a different manager, my baby who was 15 months old at this point, had to be taken to hospital because he was having breathing difficulties (I had to sit in the ambulance with him holding a nebuliser over his face while he thrashed around terrified 😢 ). He was admitted for overnight stay and placed on oxygen, spent most of the night so distressed being woken to have nebulisers every hour, and I stayed with him (also pregnant with my second at the time).

I called my work to let them know as I was supposed to be in the next day. The manager was great and didn’t question it just asked if I was ok and more importantly if my son was. This happened a few times while I was still there (it turned out he’s asthmatic and it’s now manageable). I couldn’t imagine how it would’ve been if the previous manager was still in charge at the time. I think I would’ve ended up telling her to stick her job up her arse.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
I'll admit calling in sick terrifies me....i just can't do it unless I literally can't get out of bed.

I work for a local council and if we have a certain number of sickness in a 6 month period we get a disciplinary.

I was also told recently after telling my boss i was going to be 20 mins late for a blood test that I'm not allowed to make doctors/dentists appointments in work time but I work 8.30 to 5 so it's almost impossible. She didn't ask me what the blood test was for or if i was okay either.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 8
At my last job, I had to leave early because my wisdom tooth had become infected. I went to work that morning though in pain, face swollen and unable to really focus on my job (I worked in clinical trials so I needed to concentrate really!). Anyway my manager let me go early as I managed to get an emergency dentist appointment - she was really understanding about it. Went back the next day and she called me into her office - asked if I’d actually been to the dentist, like why would I lie you saw the pain I was in yesterday. I got the antibiotics out of my handbag and showed her them as ‘proof’. I had to have the wisdom tooth taken out eventually and used 2 days a/l for it as I knew I’d feel rotten the day after the op.

Honestly every job I’ve had, I’ve been unfortunate with managers. I now work in academia (pgr researcher) and theyre a lot more flexible with sickness, family emergencies.

• Wow
  • Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
I was off sick a couple of weeks ago with anxiety due to a work related incident. I was only off 3 days and each morning my manager texted me saying ‘do you think you will be ok to log on today’ and called me to ask me work related questions. I was planning to go to the doctor on the Monday to get a sick note but then I checked my diary and she had rearranged all our joint meetings that I had missed for the Monday and I got so anxious that I was letting her down so I came back on the Monday and had to catch up on the last three days because she is incompetent and couldn’t do anything without me. I really don’t think it’s acceptable to be sending those kinds of texts

• Sad
Reactions: 8
You should never ever feel bad about calling in sick. I had an absolutely terrible manager who was awful about anyone wanting time off (even annual leave was made out to be a favour!) so I was pleased to leave that company which was incredibly toxic. My last few jobs have been great and only people who absolutely take the piss and are off every week are talked about with eye rolls.

Really though, there is never any point in forcing yourself into work when you feel crap. Because of my terrible ex boss I do find it difficult to call in sick because of fear of letting people down but I have found it's easier to tell them that I just won't be coming in due to sickness (give one reason and stick to it) rather than waiting for them to give permission for you to take the day off.

As an adult you are responsible for knowing when you should and shouldn't come in so don't feel like you need permission from your boss to do so. As long as you aren't taking the piss you have every right to take a sick day when you need to. Most companies really don't give a damn about their employees so never feel bad about putting yourself first.

Another time I was leaving my house to go to work in the morning and was in a bit of a hurry as my taxi was waiting. I lost my footing and fell down the steps at my front door and landed awkwardly on my foot. I jumped up in shock and somehow managed to get in the taxi (I think I was definitely in shock, the driver hadn’t seen me fall but he did comment that I looked chalk white, he made a joke about being hungover and I just sort of awkwardly laughed it off). I think I was in such a daze that I barely said anything, focusing too much on trying not to cry.

Anyway, I got to work (care home, half shift so 8pm-2pm). I stayed and worked my entire shift as I was so nervous about asking to go home, despite the fact that I was in extreme pain especially towards the end of it. My foot was so swollen I couldn’t get my shoe off. In the end I called my then partner at the time as my shift was finishing and told him. He picked me up and took me to the A&E straight after my shift. By this point he had to help me in because I was hobbling. I had tore the ligaments in my ankle and was signed off for 6 weeks but ended up going back after 4 because I couldn’t afford anymore time off. The SSP was just enough to cover my rent and nothing else. I still get pain in that foot to this day (worse in Winter) and that was 9 years ago.

It’s just the way they make you feel guilty to the point where you end up sacrificing your own health and well-being just to make up the numbers. I still feel guilty when I have to call in and I have the silent war in my head over it, but since Covid I wouldn’t hesitate. Your health should always come first.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
In my current company we get 3 paid sick days a year. Thats it no more and it doesnt matter if you have a doctor's note you dont get paid.
Been wfh since March and there have been days where I felt truly awful but knew I would lose a days pay if I rang in sick but also be made to feel guilty for not working.
My manager will work through anything and never goes sick so its assumed that you will too.
I once worked for a company that rewarded those who didnt take a sick day with a 200 pound bonus at the end if year.
Bloke who sat beside me would come in with all sorts of ailments because he wanted that bonus. He made about 10 of us sick once and we lost our chance at the bonus because of him.
Another place was horrible I worked nights so had to ring in before 2pm if I wasnt going in. Once I was so sick I was rushed to A&E by ambulance and had to ask for a note to prove I was there as I knew my manager wouldnt believe me.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
It's unbelievable how many people seem to have a total lack of boundaries when it comes to hassling employees who are off sick. I understand that it can probably be very challenging and even frustrating to be a manager if you feel that employees are taking the piss but, really, hassling people will do nothing to help!

Most people really do know where to draw the line and surely HR could step in if absences really were a problem so I really don't get chasing and hassling people who are simply off for a few days here and there.

To me this seems like such an old-fashioned way of working. It's not the 1950s and presenteeism isn't a guarantee of a well-functioning company! Trusting your employees to work like adults is surely the best way forward but so many companies are yet to wake up to this! You don't own your staff and good people will walk away if the culture is toxic and damaging

• Heart
At my last job, I had to leave early because my wisdom tooth had become infected. I went to work that morning though in pain, face swollen and unable to really focus on my job (I worked in clinical trials so I needed to concentrate really!). Anyway my manager let me go early as I managed to get an emergency dentist appointment - she was really understanding about it. Went back the next day and she called me into her office - asked if I’d actually been to the dentist, like why would I lie you saw the pain I was in yesterday. I got the antibiotics out of my handbag and showed her them as ‘proof’. I had to have the wisdom tooth taken out eventually and used 2 days a/l for it as I knew I’d feel rotten the day after the op.

Honestly every job I’ve had, I’ve been unfortunate with managers. I now work in academia (pgr researcher) and theyre a lot more flexible with sickness, family emergencies.
I actually find big companies are more compassionate about sick policies, partly because they have such a strict HR rules that manager cannot side track from that. It is usually the small fry companies that think they can blatantly ignore sick policies and benefits entitlement.

Reactions: 4
I actually find big companies are more compassionate about sick policies, partly because they have such a strict HR rules that manager cannot side track from that. It is usually the small fry companies that think they can blatantly ignore sick policies and benefits entitlement.
I don’t know, I worked for a huge Japanese finance company here in the uk and well... I’ve already said how that played out 😔

Reactions: 2
I don’t know, I worked for a huge Japanese finance company here in the uk and well... I’ve already said how that played out 😔
HAHA! Bless you I know is tit isn't. I am half SE Asian and used to live in Asia for many years. Different culture and totally not worth the stress and politics.

Hopefully you will be able to get out from your situation

Reactions: 3
I worked for a huge American company (think mouse) and our sick policy was HORRIFIC!

Reactions: 5
Ok I now feel incredibly lucky with my current company. I have had a nightmare in the year I've joined.. heart surgery, pericarditis, viral meningitis and then still not fully recovered. I have been paid throughout and then in November the decision was made to furlough me rather than keep stressing my body to actually let me fully recover. In reality I should be on SSP but that would put me on £95 a week which wouldn't even cover half my rent (I live alone) whereas I'm on 80% of my full salary. There is no pressure from them and they just want me to actually get better and return slowly rather than rush and end up getting worse again.
Reading other people's stories I appreciate my company 100x more.

I did also used to work in hospitality but we weren't ever allowed to work if sick. Maybe I have just been really lucky?

• Heart
I was also told recently after telling my boss i was going to be 20 mins late for a blood test that I'm not allowed to make doctors/dentists appointments in work time but I work 8.30 to 5 so it's almost impossible. She didn't ask me what the blood test was for or if i was okay either.
I got told this when pregnant regarding my midwife appointments when I worked in a supermarket. Pretty impossible to book appointments outside of work hours when your shift pattern literally changes from one week to the next, but they didn’t care or make any effort to accommodate🙄

• Angry
  • Wow
  • Sad
The idea that you have to have an interview to return to work after having ONE measly day off is horrendous! I'm lucky in that we simply have to fill out a form which states the date we were off and a brief description of why (writing "felt sick" is fine). I can't imagine how demoralising having to sit and have an interview about your one day off must be!
I’ve had this in my last job! My manager watched me fill the form in! This was half a day taken as sick to go to the dentist with wisdom tooth pain 😩

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I had a car accident back in October and took half a day off to go to the hospital where I was told I had whiplash and concussion from where my head hit the pillar, I went back to the office the next day and my boss told me how she had once gone into work with a broken leg and the younger generation (meaning me) don't know what a work ethic is. I then ended up testing positive for Covid about 5 days later. She allowed me one day sick even though I was horrendously ill. I was trying to answer customer calls at home and was struggling to breathe and vomitting meaning I had to hang up on them. After my 10 days isolation were up my partner was still really poorly with it and had active symptoms e.g. fever, cough so Public Health advised me to stay at home and isolate until he was 48 hours clear of fever. I let my boss know over the phone and she sent me an awful email and copied HR in basically saying I was refusing to return to the workplace and she just didn't know what to do with me... I offered to come back but if I gave everyone Coronavirus then that would be on her conscience not mine 🤷‍♀️ I have always hated phoning in sick as I feel like I am letting people down but I no longer care (at the workplace I am now) as they treat you like shite whether you're actually ill or not.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 11
I know exactly what you mean! I used to work in hospitality and they would have wanted you in even if you were in a full body cast. I once had norovirus, the worst of which had been over my 2 days off but I still couldn’t keep anything down/inside so phoned to say I’m really sorry but I am too ill to work and worried I’ll pass it on to someone else. The landlady of the pub I worked at’s reply was ‘but *** hasn’t had a day off and he’ll have to stay on if you can’t come in’ I was like fine 🙄 dragged myself in, somehow worked a 10 hour bar shift. The next day I got a phone call ‘can you come in (6 hours) early, ***** (the landlady) is really ill and can’t be on the pub floor’ I was so pissed off not only was I not allowed a day off sick, which would have been unpaid too! But I was having to go in early because she’d made me come in and obviously caught the virus off me, it was karma though too 🤣🤣🤣

Proper grim what goes on in hospitality. God knows how many other people I passed it on to pouring drinks and taking food out 🤢

In my new job, I once ended up getting rushed to the doctors from the office as it was the middle of summer 30 degree heat and I was violently shivering, I’d ignored a UTI which had become a nasty kidney infection. I was sternly told to take time off if I need to to go to the doctors or call in sick! It was a totally foreign concept to me to do so!
I too worked in hospitality for years, working at various venues behind the bar. You should never have been allowed to work behind a bar if you had a sickness virus and the fact that your boss caught the virus off of you, was proof enough.

Like you said, karma paid her a visit. 😂

• Heart
Another time I was leaving my house to go to work in the morning and was in a bit of a hurry as my taxi was waiting. I lost my footing and fell down the steps at my front door and landed awkwardly on my foot. I jumped up in shock and somehow managed to get in the taxi (I think I was definitely in shock, the driver hadn’t seen me fall but he did comment that I looked chalk white, he made a joke about being hungover and I just sort of awkwardly laughed it off). I think I was in such a daze that I barely said anything, focusing too much on trying not to cry.

Anyway, I got to work (care home, half shift so 8pm-2pm). I stayed and worked my entire shift as I was so nervous about asking to go home, despite the fact that I was in extreme pain especially towards the end of it. My foot was so swollen I couldn’t get my shoe off. In the end I called my then partner at the time as my shift was finishing and told him. He picked me up and took me to the A&E straight after my shift. By this point he had to help me in because I was hobbling. I had tore the ligaments in my ankle and was signed off for 6 weeks but ended up going back after 4 because I couldn’t afford anymore time off. The SSP was just enough to cover my rent and nothing else. I still get pain in that foot to this day (worse in Winter) and that was 9 years ago.

It’s just the way they make you feel guilty to the point where you end up sacrificing your own health and well-being just to make up the numbers. I still feel guilty when I have to call in and I have the silent war in my head over it, but since Covid I wouldn’t hesitate. Your health should always come first.
8am-2pm, not 8pm-2pm. duck that! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 3