Call the Midwife #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't watch this on a regular basis but I just crinched that Miss Higgins's long lost son just HAD to die, all these years and he pops his clogs as soon as he meets her, is it necessary to be sooo cheesy about everything. And Trixie is a spoilt madam, no doubt looking for the next sugar daddy.
Also if Miss Higgins is still alive, there’s a high chance his adoptive parents might be as well. Wouldn’t they be called if their son was about to die?

Reactions: 8
I really like the actor who plays Trixie’s brother. He’s a fab actor who can portray a mood with just a nuanced expression. Going to look him up and see what else he’s been in
He’s fab! So likeable is this yet so hated when he was a pweirdo/groomer in Coronation Street!

ooh I didn’t know he was in Corrie. I haven’t watched it for years and only catch it when my mum watches it.

For a show called 'Call The Midwife' there's been very little midwifery this series. The lady giving birth on the bus this week just felt like an afterthought. It really feels like it's lost what made it so special in the beginning.

Reactions: 13
Only just caught up on the finale, but I'd checked twitter out on Sunday evening - I'm not sure I'm watching the same TV show as those claiming to be bawling their eyes out? CTM today, doesn't raise emotion in me at all.

I just don't care about:
Any of the Nuns bar Sister Julienne. All the rest in the cast today, are just annoying and utterly pointless.

May - I actually think it would have made for better writing and a good (more realistic) story, if the child had of been returned to her mother or sent to another family. The Turner kids add nothing to the show whatsoever and yet are featured frequently.

Mrs. Higgins' mixed race, adopted child - Seriously? An actual Miss Higgins would never have reacted too pleased to see a child she put up for adoption turning up on her doorstep. This entire storyline was completely out of whack for the period (and probably today).

Joyce - Unlikable and just arrived new character, now a main character being given a lot of leeway over the qualifications and job she obtained by deception and with a false identity. This absolutely would not have happened. London was horribly racist and nursing very strict back in those days and she would in no way still have a job and/or be able to remain living with nuns! Absurd.

Trixie - Used to love Trixie, but again her storyline (that has always been a little bit of a stretch) is just ridiculous. So, she's now on sleeping tablets and taking them through the day (absurd), she's made up with whatshisface and is heading to NYC. So, either she is absent from the first few episodes of S14 only to return after leaving twit and Jonty behand for good or leaving - probably the former.

Trixie's look - is awful in this series - she has had some work done to her face and it looks very odd and he hair is either are really bad wig or she needs to get a good conditioner. She's looking rough either way.

Nancy - Thankfully she wasn't in this episode too much but her entire craic just would never have happened at all - the entire Nancy arc is completely unrealistic and would never have happened back in the late 1960's.

Cyril & the posh one - It is obvious that the writers are hinting at a little liaison between these two. If they choose to go ahead then it needs to be very realistic, her family would, without a doubt disown her and they would be a frowned upon coupling. It would be better if they used the Trixie/Tom romance template for this but I doubt that is the route they will take given the past few years of ghastly twee writing.

What I do care about is:
The stories of actual women who used the midwife services of the time - but no, we have terribly written tosh full of 2020's identity politics and the re-writing of the real lives and experiences of the women of that time.

TV show's are repeatedly doing this right now, however re-writing the past does a massive disservice to the people who lived and suffered during those times.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
I get the fact that 1960’s, 1970’s view might make for uncomfortable viewing but this Poplar is very progressive, accepting of various issues that back then would likely have raised eyebrows.

Agree with the idea May should have been taken from the Turner’s as everything is so twee and nice. That or she actually have significant long lasting issues from almost drowning.

I find the posh new midwife very Mary Sue like, apart from her staying up stupidly late to study and seeking approval from superiors what personality does she have?

Reactions: 2
I’ve always thought it’s weird how they never see any of the new mums and babies. Being a small area they would see them out and about. Be nice to have updates.

Only just caught up on the finale, but I'd checked twitter out on Sunday evening - I'm not sure I'm watching the same TV show as those claiming to be bawling their eyes out? CTM today, doesn't raise emotion in me at all.

I just don't care about:
Any of the Nuns bar Sister Julienne. All the rest in the cast today, are just annoying and utterly pointless.

May - I actually think it would have made for better writing and a good (more realistic) story, if the child had of been returned to her mother or sent to another family. The Turner kids add nothing to the show whatsoever and yet are featured frequently.

Mrs. Higgins' mixed race, adopted child - Seriously? An actual Miss Higgins would never have reacted too pleased to see a child she put up for adoption turning up on her doorstep. This entire storyline was completely out of whack for the period (and probably today).

Joyce - Unlikable and just arrived new character, now a main character being given a lot of leeway over the qualifications and job she obtained by deception and with a false identity. This absolutely would not have happened. London was horribly racist and nursing very strict back in those days and she would in no way still have a job and/or be able to remain living with nuns! Absurd.

Trixie - Used to love Trixie, but again her storyline (that has always been a little bit of a stretch) is just ridiculous. So, she's now on sleeping tablets and taking them through the day (absurd), she's made up with whatshisface and is heading to NYC. So, either she is absent from the first few episodes of S14 only to return after leaving twit and Jonty behand for good or leaving - probably the former.

Trixie's look - is awful in this series - she has had some work done to her face and it looks very odd and he hair is either are really bad wig or she needs to get a good conditioner. She's looking rough either way.

Nancy - Thankfully she wasn't in this episode too much but her entire craic just would never have happened at all - the entire Nancy arc is completely unrealistic and would never have happened back in the late 1960's.

Cyril & the posh one - It is obvious that the writers are hinting at a little liaison between these two. If they choose to go ahead then it needs to be very realistic, her family would, without a doubt disown her and they would be a frowned upon coupling. It would be better if they used the Trixie/Tom romance template for this but I doubt that is the route they will take given the past few years of ghastly twee writing.

What I do care about is:
The stories of actual women who used the midwife services of the time - but no, we have terribly written tosh full of 2020's identity politics and the re-writing of the real lives and experiences of the women of that time.

TV show's are repeatedly doing this right now, however re-writing the past does a massive disservice to the people who lived and suffered during those times.
Now I've read this I think they're trying to recreate a Barbara with that new posh midwife.

Now I've read this I think they're trying to recreate a Barbara with that new posh midwife.
I agree but Barbara marrying Tom made sense because she was a vicar's daughter. Cyril and Lucille made sense too, both very Christian and from abroad.

If the posh-one got together with Cyril they would almost certainly have been met with a lot of resistance and pressure to either keep it quiet or leave him. What would be a good storyline is if they got friendlier (but not coupled) and then Lucille came back even for 1 or 2 episodes. That would work well.

Trixie wasn’t taking sleeping tablets during the day. It was the equivalent of pro-plus. Caffeine tablets.
I’m the show’s biggest fan but even I think it’s had its day now.

Why did Sister Julienne look so surprised when it was “revealed” that it was her that the other Sisters had nominated as Mother Of The Year? She was nodding along when they were waxing lyrical, who else could they have been talking about?! Certainly not Nancy 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I agree but Barbara marrying Tom made sense because she was a vicar's daughter. Cyril and Lucille made sense too, both very Christian and from abroad.

If the posh-one got together with Cyril they would almost certainly have been met with a lot of resistance and pressure to either keep it quiet or leave him. What would be a good storyline is if they got friendlier (but not coupled) and then Lucille came back even for 1 or 2 episodes. That would work well.
In the books real life Trixie marries Tom the vicar and surprises everyone by really taking to a vicars wife's role.
I feel like the writers want to right a wrong and also have a happy ending with Cyril by having him and Rosalind (I think thats her name) together.
I always feel like they haven't known what to do with Trixie's love life since they split her and Tom up.

Reactions: 1
I think maybe the new CTM writer might be trying to pitch Cyril as competition for Dr Turner in the do-gooding stakes. If he teams up with Rosalind then they could be a match for the Turners. Given the speed Cyril picks up new careers then he could start diagnosing before the end of the series.

Lucille is the only fly in the ointment or maybe she just won't be mentioned again.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Just been reading CTM sub on another app and read something else I completely forgot hadn't been addressed this season - we never had any update on Sister Mary Cynthia after she was saved from the sanitarium and taken to the mother house. So many characters with developed storylines just disappear into thin air with no updates at all

Reactions: 5