Call The Midwife #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think they are deluded about the role Sister MJ plays. Most people, I think, watch it despite her not because of her. I also see Shelaigh was at it again with her 'Thunderbirds arms' acting style.

Also, did anyone think Trixie's brother looked like Sister Hilda?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
Noooooooo!! I love Call the Midwife, never missed an episode, but I cannot stand Rosie Jones. That will be the first episode I skip
Yep, I saw that preview with Rosie and my first thought was "Hell no!". I will be giving that episode a miss.

Reactions: 5
I’m gutted this programme has been allowed to continue running under such abysmal writing. The original series based on Jennifer Worth’s actual memoirs were superb and prove that social history is interesting enough without the need for moral preaching, hammy acting and poor script writing.
The quality of the series were better when they were based on Jenny’s memoirs. Even Jenny’s own family were quoted in the media as saying the programme should have ended when the makers stopped basing it on the memoirs. I can watch the earlier series over and over and still get enjoyment but from series 7 onwards, I've only watched the episodes once.
---
I also wonder if there is possibly some other issue behind the scenes by the way nurses Valerie and Lucille both left very abruptly without any proper announcements from the BBC.
Patsy and Delia were written out off-screen as well. It really bothers me the way they’ve done that to so many characters, characters that you feel you’ve become invested in.
I read a magazine article where Heidi Thomas was being interviewed. She stated she would have no qualms about getting rid of actors/actresses if they were becoming interested in doing other work. I've always thought the abrupt departure of Patsy, Delia and Valerie was strange considering the characters made no reference to moving on. Lucille was slightly different because her homesickness and return to Jamaica was written into the show. But for all of those actresses, there was silence from the programme makers which makes me suspicious that all is not rosy behind the scenes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
They should have finished it when it got to 10 years old. You look back at the earlier series and theres no comparison.
there was always jeapordy and it wasn’t all tied up in a nice neat bow like it is now. Not once did I feel there was a risk to any child even when it showed baby was in distress and a woman gave birth to quads. It’s all very twee and lost any grit there was. Didn’t help there was very little Nurse Crane to help things out.

Reactions: 8
I think they are deluded about the role Sister MJ plays. Most people, I think, watch it despite her not because of her. I also see Shelaigh was at it again with her 'Thunderbirds arms' acting style.

Also, did anyone think Trixie's brother looked like Sister Hilda?
Totally agree. When she said it was going to be her last Christmas, I thought okay. I was never very taken with the character tbh, and wouldn't miss her.

Reactions: 4
I think the writing is biased to make the Turners seem perfect which isn’t surprising as it’s written by his wife.
It raised awareness of lots of issues, but now it isn’t realistic. Would Cyril really have got a job with the council?! I suspect Leonie left because it wasn’t reflective of the racism faced by black people at the time and maybe any suggestions she gave were ignored.
I kinda hope they’re going to shake the Turners up with May’s mum appearing on the scene.

Reactions: 7
I think I only watch out of habit now, it's a shadow of the show that it used to be. I don't know if I can watch another series. The final straw for me was the sickeningly twee nativity scene where Trixie was illuminated by the light from the manger🤢

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Patsy and Delia were written out off-screen as well. It really bothers me the way they’ve done that to so many characters, characters that you feel you’ve become invested in.
Patsy (Emerald Fennell) is quite a high flying film director, she won an Oscar in 2020. Don’t think she was ever going to stay long in CTM

I think I only watch out of habit now, it's a shadow of the show that it used to be. I don't know if I can watch another series. The final straw for me was the sickeningly twee nativity scene where Trixie was illuminated by the light from the manger🤢
Yes and why would you choose the only person with peroxide blonde hair to play the Virgin Mary? 🙄

Dr Turner donned his SuperDoc cape again - he didn’t give the mum the medication after 3 babies just in case there was a fourth!
I’m surprised when he was talking to Mr Shah he didn’t say “you have PTSD. It’s little known, but I’ve been researching it and will show my findings to the Medical Council!”

It is so unrealistic for the era now.
The Sisters would not have allowed an unmarried woman and her illegitimate daughter to live under their roof.
Baby Mark, being bi-racial, would have been frowned upon.
Would the lady have really happily given water to her non-white neighbour who was squatting in the room next door?

Was the dementia/absent mindedness that Sister Monica Joan appeared to have a few series ago explained as being caused by something else? For example a UTI? It’s no longer mentioned and her memory seems fine now. Dementia cannot be cured so did I miss the explanation?

Reactions: 16
I’m nostalgic about the show as it started just after I had a baby but it’s not what it was.

I think the writing is biased to make the Turners seem perfect which isn’t surprising as it’s written by his wife.
It raised awareness of lots of issues, but now it isn’t realistic. Would Cyril really have got a job with the council?! I suspect Leonie left because it wasn’t reflective of the racism faced by black people at the time and maybe any suggestions she gave were ignored.
I kinda hope they’re going to shake the Turners up with May’s mum appearing on the scene.
Oh god no, I find that entire storyline really dull. Hopefully the swift end of Trixie's marriage may make for a bit of va va voom - but I doubt it. I have a bad feeling about this season, that it is just going to be really boring. Even Fred's lost his sparkle of old.

I found it annoying how colette was such the star of the show. I don't want to see the kids, show me the midwives please.

Reactions: 15
Finally got round to watching the Christmas special...liked that the Turner kids had a voice but a bit too sickly sweet for me

Yes I was surprised Cyril wasn't as vocal over missing Lucille either but at least the Turner kids spoke lol

I was expecting a showdown/revelation over the multiple birth as in the other doctor knew it was more etc, but like the other storylines it fizzled out to nothing.

Love Trixie's brother!

We are going into 1969 then now? Possible events to include 😏
* Moon landing
* Manson cult killings
* Concorde test flight
* Charles becomes Prince of Wales
* Woodstock music festival
* Beatles release Abbey Road album
1969 is the year of the first heart transplant so get ready for Dr Turner performing a transplant in clinic and then going home for tea

• Haha
Reactions: 41
1969 is the year of the first heart transplant so get ready for Dr Turner performing a transplant in clinic and then going home for tea
You’ve missed out a major part of the storyline.
Not only does Dr Turner perform the heart transplant, he is the actual donor too. That man is remarkable! Super Doc saves the day again! 😜😆

• Haha
Yes, without turning a hair, in the process.
---
Not only does Dr Turner perform the heart transplant, he is the actual donor too. That man is remarkable! Super Doc saves the day again! 😜😆
Of course!

Reactions: 8
Whilst Sheila wrings her hands and sighs in exasperation as she looks wistfully at her husband whilst simultaneously knitting blankets for the local orphanage and boiling the piss of the entire pregnant women of the East End to test for diabetes.

Meanwhile Sister MJ will be staring at a television and sideways glancing at children in worry over a handpicked 1969 news item, whilst Sister Julienne stands in the hallway smiling inanely at nothing and none of the actual midwives are called to do any midwifery whatsoever.

In a background storyline, Cyril and Trixie’s husband do something irrelevant and Trixie wears a dress and says one line.

#CallTheTurners

• Haha
Also why does everyone hate Rosie Jones? I thought j was the only one!
My reason is she just annoys me and it’s genuinely nothing to do with her disability. She was on SUTC a few years back with a group of kids that had fought/fighting cancer and she just bulldozed her way in and made it all about her and ever since she’s annoyed me.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.