Call The Midwife #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I watched today. I found it very meh this year. It was on 90 minutes and not much really happened. I did see Rosie Jones will be appearing in the new series in the preview so there’s an episode for me to skip.
Noooooooo!! I love Call the Midwife, never missed an episode, but I cannot stand Rosie Jones. That will be the first episode I skip

Reactions: 13
I’ve just watched it and it might be because I’m a couple of glasses of Prosecco down, but I quite enjoyed it. Hoping Cyril gets a more meaningful storyline in the new series and that Trixie’s brother becomes a permanent fixture - he’s a lovely addition! Shan’t be watching Rosie Jones under any circumstances

Reactions: 2
I’ve just watched it and it might be because I’m a couple of glasses of Prosecco down, but I quite enjoyed it. Hoping Cyril gets a more meaningful storyline in the new series and that Trixie’s brother becomes a permanent fixture - he’s a lovely addition! Shan’t be watching Rosie Jones under any circumstances
He played Nathan in corrie! And once he was in a play I watched in my town and I had a fag (vape) with him. He's lovely!

Also why does everyone hate Rosie Jones? I thought j was the only one!

Reactions: 2
Was just going to ask who is Rosie Jones lol didn’t realise the programme was an hour and a half I sure I must have been half listening andwatch8ng.

Yes I was surprised Cyril wasn't as vocal over missing Lucille either but at least the Turner kids spoke lol

I was expecting a showdown/revelation over the multiple birth as in the other doctor knew it was more etc, but like the other storylines it fizzled out to nothing.

Love Trixie's brother!

We are going into 1969 then now? Possible events to include 😏
* Moon landing
* Manson cult killings
* Concorde test flight
* Charles becomes Prince of Wales
* Woodstock music festival
* Beatles release Abbey Road album

Reactions: 1
For me, the magic of the Christmas specials has gone. Cyril never mentioned his wife Lucille, Shelagh getting in a flap about the present from Hong Kong and Nurse Crane was very under utilised. It was set in 1968 but with the social values of 2023 - no one batted an eyelid at the mixed race baby's birth and Nancy (a single unmarried mother) permitted to live in her place of employment with her illegitimate daughter! As ever, the endless background music is a distraction.
It's lost it's magic. You are spot on about Nancy, the mixed race baby but also Trixie's gay brother would not be so open about his sexuality! Being gay was illegal back then. I couldn't be bothered to get to the end of the episode. I've lost any interest in sister MJ (she has been a dull back story for years and to focus an Xmas special on the death thoughts of an elderly woman really is a stretch). They have stopped concentrating on the mother's and the stories of real people, which is typical of todays writers and the over woke BBC in general trying to re-write reality, the show is suffering because of it. What on earth the point of Nurse Crane even being in the episode, complete waste of a decent actress.

Reactions: 19
I thought the Turner kids were sweet, nice to see them with speaking parts. Twins into quadruplets was typical CTM over egging the pudding so Dr Turner could save the day again!

But I can't help still loving it!

Reactions: 10
It's lost it's magic. You are spot on about Nancy, the mixed race baby but also Trixie's gay brother would not be so open about his sexuality! Being gay was illegal back then. I couldn't be bothered to get to the end of the episode. I've lost any interest in sister MJ (she has been a dull back story for years and to focus an Xmas special on the death thoughts of an elderly woman really is a stretch). They have stopped concentrating on the mother's and the stories of real people, which is typical of todays writers and the over woke BBC in general trying to re-write reality, the show is suffering because of it. What on earth the point of Nurse Crane even being in the episode, complete waste of a decent actress.
I found myself looking at the clock thinking "is it getting near the end yet?" As for Sister Monica Joan, I hope it is her last Christmas. Her character stopped being of any value many years ago. Sadly all period dramas are going the same way, history is rewritten to satisfy the woke box-ticking criteria.

• Sad
Reactions: 17
I enjoyed the Christmas Special this year but I do wish they'd stop rewriting history. I think it's important that children see the bigotry of the past so that they can learn from it. It's important that we don't misrepresent what people went through, it'll become all too easy for people to gloss over what went on if we aren't exposed to it.

Be woke in contemporaneous dramas, not in historical dramas. I applaud liberal social attitudes but I do not applaud misrepresentation in the slightest. It's dangerous to pretend they weren't racist, homophobic or misogynistic in this country, some still are

Reactions: 22
I used to really love it, and there's bits I still like, and some characters I love such as Nurse Crane and Miss Higgins. They were both in peculiar parallel stories, away from everyone else, especially Phyllis.

I may have rolled my eyes a bit when I saw how much it was centred on Sister MJ. I can only take her in small doses now. I found it too dragged out, even though there were some nice moments.

Reactions: 13
I found myself looking at the clock thinking "is it getting near the end yet?" As for Sister Monica Joan, I hope it is her last Christmas. Her character stopped being of any value many years ago. Sadly all period dramas are going the same way, history is rewritten to satisfy the woke box-ticking criteria.
I think they are trying to do it out of representation, but they are failing the very people they are trying to represent. If you are not telling the true stories of these peoples lives and experiences then you are doing them a disservice. How will they claim their victimhood if history says they were never victims in the first place?

It fails the show badly.

Reactions: 14
I wonder if she was not available to film at the time because most of her scenes weren’t with the rest of the regular cast and are the sort of things they could slot in at a later date. 🤔
Yeah I wondered if she was away filming something else and it overlapped. They did it with Nicola on Derry Girls because she was filming Bridgerton at the same time.

Reactions: 5
Just watched it. Was the whole point to allow the writer a chance to get her husband into robes?

I’m gutted this programme has been allowed to continue running under such abysmal writing. The original series based on Jennifer Worth’s actual memoirs were superb and prove that social history is interesting enough without the need for moral preaching, hammy acting and poor script writing.

It’s barely about the midwifery, mothers and children now and more to do with Dr Turner saving just about anything whilst casually and clumsily mentioning something historically relevant that has nothing whatsoever to do with the storyline.

I also wonder if there is possibly some other issue behind the scenes by the way nurses Valerie and Lucille both left very abruptly without any proper announcements from the BBC.

Reactions: 22
They should have finished it when it got to 10 years old. You look back at the earlier series and theres no comparison.

Reactions: 12
I’m gutted this programme has been allowed to continue running under such abysmal writing. The original series based on Jennifer Worth’s actual memoirs were superb and prove that social history is interesting enough without the need for moral preaching, hammy acting and poor script writing.

It’s barely about the midwifery, mothers and children now and more to do with Dr Turner saving just about anything whilst casually and clumsily mentioning something historically relevant that has nothing whatsoever to do with the storyline.

I also wonder if there is possibly some other issue behind the scenes by the way nurses Valerie and Lucille both left very abruptly without any proper announcements from the BBC.

Patsy and Delia were written out off-screen as well. It really bothers me the way they’ve done that to so many characters, characters that you feel you’ve become invested in.

Reactions: 9
I wonder if she was not available to film at the time because most of her scenes weren’t with the rest of the regular cast and are the sort of things they could slot in at a later date. 🤔
I wondered the same.

It seemed totally pointless and separate from everyone and everything else. She is my favourite character. I would prefer a storyline centred around her than Sister MJ, anytime. Miss Higgins too was mostly separate from everyone else. It was very disjointed.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.