Call The Midwife #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My Nanna had undiagnosed twins in the late 50s. My grandad was so ecstatic he ran out of the house, jumped on the nearest bus and told anyone who'd listen 🤣 must have been a hell of a shock! My mum was born just over a year later so they had their hands full! Me and my sister were born in the 80s, and I don't think scans were common. My mum might have had one with my sister but I'm not sure. Amazing to think we have 3D scans now and you can see the babies faces before they're even born.

Reactions: 6
My Nanna had undiagnosed twins in the late 50s. My grandad was so ecstatic he ran out of the house, jumped on the nearest bus and told anyone who'd listen 🤣 must have been a hell of a shock! My mum was born just over a year later so they had their hands full! Me and my sister were born in the 80s, and I don't think scans were common. My mum might have had one with my sister but I'm not sure. Amazing to think we have 3D scans now and you can see the babies faces before they're even born.
My nan had two singletons, then had twin girls in ‘59 and then 14 months later got pregnant with twins again which were diagnosed via an X-ray.

My poor nan cried all the way home wondering how they’d manage with four in nappies and the cost of it all. I think she was really shocked. She had local journalists coming to interview her because it was rare!

They went on to have another baby less than two years later. I guess that was life back then, they made do somehow.

Reactions: 10
My nan had two singletons, then had twin girls in ‘59 and then 14 months later got pregnant with twins again which were diagnosed via an X-ray.

My poor nan cried all the way home wondering how they’d manage with four in nappies and the cost of it all. I think she was really shocked. She had local journalists coming to interview her because it was rare!

They went on to have another baby less than two years later. I guess that was life back then, they made do somehow.

It was much cheaper in the 50's. Babies wore Terry nappies that were washed/boiled and reworn over and again. Pampers came out during the 80's and at first mums only used them when taking baby out. They weren't as good as they are today as they didn't have elastic.

Back in the 50's the way to sterilise anything simply involved pouring boiling water over, no sterilising units etc. And there was much more pass me downs too, and beautifully hand knitted garments.

What I miss most are the "proper" Silver Cross carriage prams that babies could use until they were about one year old. These days they grow out of them so quickly and they're so dinky.

It was much cheaper in the 50's. Babies wore Terry nappies that were washed/boiled and reworn over and again. Pampers came out during the 80's and at first mums only used them when taking baby out. They weren't as good as they are today as they didn't have elastic.

Back in the 50's the way to sterilise anything simply involved pouring boiling water over, no sterilising units etc. And there was much more pass me downs too, and beautifully hand knitted garments.

What I miss most are the "proper" Silver Cross carriage prams that babies could use until they were about one year old. These days they grow out of them so quickly and they're so dinky.
Oh I know about the cloth nappies (even my brothers had cloth nappies)! That’s what my nan was crying about bless her, all the washing of those! And then all the costs of other items that come with raising a large family.

Things were cheaper yes as people had less really, but my grandparents did feel massive financial strain. My grandad worked two jobs before the twins x 2 went to school and when they went to school him and my nan both worked. They remortgaged their house a few times to free up cash. Having seven kids was a huge financial strain for them, but they made it through somehow.

Reactions: 9
Oh I know about the cloth nappies (even my brothers had cloth nappies)! That’s what my nan was crying about bless her, all the washing of those! And then all the costs of other items that come with raising a large family.

Things were cheaper yes as people had less really, but my grandparents did feel massive financial strain. My grandad worked two jobs before the twins x 2 went to school and when they went to school him and my nan both worked. They remortgaged their house a few times to free up cash. Having seven kids was a huge financial strain for them, but they made it through somehow.

Absolutely. Back in those days large families were the norm. My mum was one of nine kids, so I can well understand your grandparents situation. Back then everyone helped everyone else out and made do, darning was the thing - now kids have far too much and as soon as a little hole appears in their clothes they sling them out!

Reactions: 5
Absolutely. Back in those days large families were the norm. My mum was one of nine kids, so I can well understand your grandparents situation. Back then everyone helped everyone else out and made do, darning was the thing - now kids have far too much and as soon as a little hole appears in their clothes they sling them out!
Yeah they were the norm. My nan always wanted lots of babies because she was an only child. She didn’t expect four babies in 14 months though 😂.
Life was definitely simpler in a lot of good ways. Times were hard, but most people didn’t know any different as that was life. People are definitely way more materialistic now.

Reactions: 3
I remember when I was having my first, my parents told me I didn't need half of the baby stuff I was buying. I thought they were mad, but did I need it? Definitely didn't use the fancy changing station and bath, used the sink mostly and my knee.

Reactions: 5
I was an undiagnosed twin in 1979, no scans then unless they thought you needed one, the twin died before birth and no one noticed because my mum was still pregnant. It wasn't until I was born they realised anything was wrong! A friend of mine also born in 1979, her mum did have a scan because she was having twins and the twin died, so it seems it was a bit hit and miss in 1979 at least. My sister had babies in 1985, 1986 and 1987 and didn't get a scan with any of them

• Sad
Of all of them it's Nurse Crane I'd want there for me if I'd had to give birth, she just oozes experience and calm
Yes, she’s brilliant! Reassuring, practical and organised. Also wouldn’t mind her calling me lass. Being called Precious on the other hand would make me want to punch Lucille!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Yet I did and I live out the back of beyond when I had my children. Wonder if it was different hospitals or if there where problems.
I was born in 1982 and I am certain my mum had scans with me as the doctors kept saying I was too small and kept pushing my due date further and further back!

My parents were based in London, so probably had access to the latest technology etc though.

Reactions: 2
I don't think scans were very good back in the day. My twins were missed on my 16 week scan. They were only spotted as the baby they did see was too small for my dates and they booked me another scan to find out what was going on. (1985). One of my neighbours had undiagnosed twins at about the same time. Her husband had too go out and buy extra of everything.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
It’s amazing how not so long ago a lot of twins were undiagnosed and delivered vaginally with no problems. These days drs are so quick to recommend c section

I’m sure my mum & dad said they didn’t know if I was a boy or a girl and I was born in 91.
My daughter was born in 1992 and I had a scan and could know the sex.
I’m finding these few episodes interesting as I was born the summer of 68 so when I see the babies born I think ahh, he/she’s 54 now. Interesting to see the era too.

Reactions: 8
My daughter was born in 1992 and I had a scan and could know the sex.
I’m finding these few episodes interesting as I was born the summer of 68 so when I see the babies born I think ahh, he/she’s 54 now. Interesting to see the era too.
My youngest sister was born in 1990. My mum definitely had scans with her as at her first one, she was told it was twins. By the next one, the twin had been absorbed.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
My youngest sister was born in 1990. My mum definitely had scans with her as at her first one, she was told it was twins. By the next one, the twin had been absorbed.
It’s called vanishing twin syndrome. It happened with my first pregnancy - when my son was born the only thing left was an extra bit of placenta from where the other baby would have been.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
1974 no scans back then as i was born breech and had clubfoot so nothing was known, till i was born.
1990 my brother was born and my mother had ultrasound scans then

It’s called vanishing twin syndrome. It happened with my first pregnancy - when my son was born the only thing left was an extra bit of placenta from where the other baby would have been.
My mum would have been approaching 40 when she had my sister, so I think she went for a super early scan in case of health issues for both her and baby ( higher risk for Down’s Syndrome and other developmental delays/severe illnesses) so the vanishing twin clearly wasn’t around very long as she went for a second scan soon after and it had vanished!

I'm a 91 baby my parents were told they was having a boy. As there was such a little gap between me and my older brother they didn't really buy much. I then arrived, my nan went mad at my dad and made him rush out to the shops for anything pink 🤣
My mum got told I was a boy and I was actually a girl, also 91.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.