Caitlin Moran #did not stay at home.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Mostly critical comments from Times readers on this article, including:

View attachment 2084759

I don't often read her articles but I did this one and it reminded me that one of the things I find off-putting about her is the seeming assumption that her circumstances are universal, that we can all relate. Here, for example, the apparent assumption that every house has a 'big luxurious toilet' upstairs and that any downstairs lavatory is necessarily right next to the kitchen. As if every house has the same amenities and layout as hers.
Quite. You can tell she, Sali and Lauren Laverne all have very decided views about this and think they are hilarious. Probably best saved for those kitchen table smug discussions rather than inflicting it on the general public.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Quite. You can tell she, Sali and Lauren Laverne all have very decided views about this and think they are hilarious. Probably best saved for those kitchen table smug discussions rather than inflicting it on the general public.
Exactly

Reactions: 4
I strongly suspect she has difficulty relating to other points of view.
Interestingly many of the critical BTL comments say pretty well that - that, for example, her mother-in-law suggesting a downstairs lavatory might be because her MIL would appreciate one when she visited.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
I had no idea you weren't supposed to tit in the downstairs loo.
My OH will only tit in the downstairs loo, apparently (as we are mid terrace) I doesn't trust not knowing where the waste pipe is or something..

Ours is by the front door tho, not the kitchen. Is that better? Or worse?

• Haha
Reactions: 9
My OH will only tit in the downstairs loo, apparently (as we are mid terrace) I doesn't trust not knowing where the waste pipe is or something..

Ours is by the front door tho, not the kitchen. Is that better? Or worse?
Handy for when the post comes.

• Haha
If I get really bored this weekend I might start a mumsnet thread on it “AIBU to ask DH not to poo in the downstairs loo, especially as we don’t have room for a loo brush in there?”

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Just came here as my phone kindly flagged up the ableist article by caitlin moran ref not believing in downstairs loo...
Annoyingly she is behind a paywall, I'd love to be proven wrong and see some sort of punchline or caveat for disabled, infirm or for those who may be likely to need one at some point.
God she's annoying and an eternal poor media example of a feminist

Reactions: 18
At my mum’s house, only guests were allowed to poo in the downstairs loo…. And my dad had to use the outside ‘Nettie’ for all his manly nastiness.

• Haha
How many toilets does she have upstairs though? With three people in the house it is living on the edge just to have one.

Especially if they all have coffee at the same time in the morning.

• Haha
What is the point of The Times? What is the point of her writing for The Times? Is this a career?

• Haha
Reactions: 13
What is the point of The Times? What is the point of her writing for The Times? Is this a career?
Equally what is the point of her being the keynote speaker at the Institute of Student Employers conference in June? I guess she will wear her wacky red shoes and tell madcap stories about various hijinx when she was starting out as a hack. I keep getting emailed that if I book to go I can send in my questions for her, not really much of an incentive.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Equally what is the point of her being the keynote speaker at the Institute of Student Employers conference in June? I guess she will wear her wacky red shoes and tell madcap stories about various hijinx when she was starting out as a hack. I keep getting emailed that if I book to go I can send in my questions for her, not really much of an incentive.
Well she’s never been a student,

And also got a job when the employment market (especially in her firld) bears literally no resemblance to how it is today
So she’s a shoe in for this role. None of her kids are students either.

Reactions: 6
A completely insufferable person.

In a world crammed full of insufferable British columnists, only Liz Jones is worse.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.