Caitlin Moran #did not stay at home.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The way she gurns in every photo kills me and has annoyed me for years.
If she’s half as confident as she proclaims to be, she wouldn’t feel the need to pull stupid faces in EVERY photo.
I met her once, years ago, before she was well known as a journalist, and she was very annoying and pleased with herself even then.
Acted as if she believed her own press release.

Reactions: 17
Today she's telling the story of her daughter's eating disorder and mental health struggles. It's very uncomfortable that she's invading her privacy in such a way - obviously the girl agreed to it but she's very young and may regret it later.:(

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
Today she's telling the story of her daughter's eating disorder and mental health struggles. It's very uncomfortable that she's invading her privacy in such a way - obviously the girl agreed to it but she's very young and may regret it later.:(
It’s no surprise to me at all that a daughter of Caitlin’s has MH issues. A narcissist for a mother will do that to you.

• Sad
Nope nope nope. That's not on. Using your daughter as fodder for your column? Bang out of order. I'm so glad I'm not close to any columnists

• Heart
  • Sad
Reminds me of Julie Myerson writing an entire book about her son's weed addiction and MH problems. She said it was to highlight the problem in general but I remember Jeremy Paxman barking at her something along the lines of "Do you think this will help him in life??" and it stuck in my mind. Some things have to be off-limits.

It's a long extract from her book rather than her column but it's published in the Times today - pretty awful really.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
I read it this morning and had mixed feelings. On the one hand, I don’t expect CM to be so awful that she didn’t get approval from her daughter. I did feel it was mostly sensitively written and it is a hugely important topic aimed at fellow parents of teenagers. CM references how the NHS is at the point of collapse and how eating disorders and self-harm are so common in teenagers and I think she got the tone of that spot on. Her own experiences serve to enhance that.

At the same time, I did feel there was a slight undercurrent of “look at this hugely tragic thing I have weathered so brilliantly as a mother”. A lot of references to CM hugging her daughter to sleep and how close they were/are, not in the context of “I’d do anything for her” but more that she’s telling us she is just this amazing mum.

I don’t know, maybe I’m being biased because she pisses me off so much, but there was something that felt a teeny bit performative about some of the incidents she described.

Then again, I’m not a parent and I have no idea where I’d even start with something so awful, so I don’t feel well placed to have an opinion. I do think the topic is waaaay more relevant and important than basically anything else she’s ever written. For that alone I wasn’t quick to criticise it like I was the “maintenance shag” excerpt and the “feminism is for men” bullshit.

I thought the look at me good mother stuff was kind of looking back and seeing how useless she really had been in the face of it, despite feeling at the time that she was up to the job.

I too had mixed feelings about "using" her daughter, while still admiring the raw pain and honesty of it.

Reactions: 4
I read CM’s article about her daughter’s anorexia and I thought it was one of the most chilling things I’d read, and unusually good for CM (but I have a daughter a few years off her teens and am terrified of her going down that path). But then today I saw a tweet criticising her for saying Botox is feminist because it’s an “unnatural” thing that benefits women, like washing machines. Back to normal service then 😂

Reminds me of Julie Myerson writing an entire book about her son's weed addiction and MH problems. She said it was to highlight the problem in general but I remember Jeremy Paxman barking at her something along the lines of "Do you think this will help him in life??" and it stuck in my mind. Some things have to be off-limits.
I remember her “anonymous” column in Guardian Family too. The tit really hit the fan when she was outed, she ended up estranged from the son and he became a heroin addict IIRC 😳

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
I think that‘s staggering writing - yes chilling. I am truly shocked that she, with all her boisterous, confident, women are great, clever, beautifully bodied joie de vivre messaging has a daughter in this terrifying situation. I have not liked Caitlin Moran for a very long time but I am very sorry to read that.

Reactions: 9
read CM’s article about her daughter’s anorexia and I thought it was one of the most chilling things I’d read, and unusually good for CM
I thought the same. I thought it was sensitively written and surprisingly good. Shame she doesn't write a bit more like that instead of the same boring ' oh I'm so working class girl done good'. It was from the heart. I feel the same about Kathy Lette. She irritates the hell out of me with her constant talking in soundbites and quips, but she wrote about her autistic son. I was so surprised she could actually be sincere and articulate.

Is this the same daughter that has released the single?
I think its the younger one. She didnt identify which one, so I suppose her privacy has been protected to that extent. I have a pre teen very introverted boy and the teen years terrify me too.

Reactions: 7
🤪🤪 Caitlin in emoji form
At least the BOTOX will sort that out

😑

Oh my goodness, she says that Botox is "unnatural" but so are emergency caesareans and contraception. How dare she place those on the same moral footing!

I'm also reeling from the whiplash of yesterday's harrowing but meaningful account of motherhood to "yay Botox!"

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 7
Does anyone have a share token? I’d like to read that, she can be really good when she’s not trying to be amusing or telling people what to think.

Reactions: 1
At least the BOTOX will sort that out

😑

Oh my goodness, she says that Botox is "unnatural" but so are emergency caesareans and contraception. How dare she place those on the same moral footing!

I'm also reeling from the whiplash of yesterday's harrowing but meaningful account of motherhood to "yay Botox!"
What a tone deaf moron

This made me laugh.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Re: the botox, I'd like to direct her to her own opinion that a good way to tell if something is sexist is to ask: are men doing it? And the answer is largely, no - wrinkles are not demonised to the same extent on men, and can even be labelled 'characterful, sexy'.

She's blatantly had botox and needs to feel better about it.

Exactly this. Wrinkles on a man are seen as "ruggedly handsome" or "craggy".

If anyone wants botox that's their right but don't try to dress it up as feminist empowerment. It's like when SH was adamant that red lipstick is a feminist tool.

Reactions: 10
Re: the botox, I'd like to direct her to her own opinion that a good way to tell if something is sexist is to ask: are men doing it? And the answer is largely, no - wrinkles are not demonised to the same extent on men, and can even be labelled 'characterful, sexy'.

She's blatantly had botox and needs to feel better about it.
Yeh I totally agree, I would say more men get rid of pubes than Botox (in my experience anyway)

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.