Budgeting and money saving

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yep its ..
Settings .. help .. other ... I want to complain about a survey.
šŸ˜
Thank you! Thereā€™s been at least 3 recently that Iā€™ve finished and then not been paid forā€¦ Iā€™ll be complaining next time šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 1
Thank you for the replies! Going to do some research on the sites mentioned tonight :) thinking about it, I use PayPal for a lot of online purchases which should protect me using debit only.
I have started to keep a log of all my outgoings to keep me accountable. Probably need to develop it to start tracking my debt too...

I was wondering if I could ask for some advice? This is embarrassing to admit as an adult but I've never really understood credit cards. I thought as an adult I needed one, so when I got my first professional job I applied for and got one, and I feel like since then I've been using it to live above my means. Currently, I feel like I'm stuck in a vicious loop- I push a big amount of money to the credit card repayment, but am unable to repay it fully, then I have to use the card because I have no money left after trying to pay it off, so the balance never....goes down. The interest is very high too. I have been thinking and I think I saw it on this thread that you can do a balance transfer? Get a special card for that? I was thinking of trying to obtain a new card with a low interest and transferring the debt over, then reducing the amount I pay each month to allow myself to slowly pay off the debt...but then also be able to utilize my salary as a debit only, and therefore learn to live within a world where that's all the money I have? I don't know if I'm explaining this well, and again, I'm sorry if any of this comes across as childish. I am not good with finances. But as I rapidly hurtle towards my thirties I am trying to do better. I was just wondering if my plan is a good one or if I will be in a worse way than I am now? Also is it ok to just live using a debit card? Everyone around me seems to use credit cards for everything but they don't seem to have debt from it. It confuses me. Do I have to use the credit card?
Donā€™t feel embarrassed - I recently helped a family member in his 60s switch his credit card to an interest free one as his monthly payments were only ever covering the interest and therefore his actual credit card debt was never going down! He had no idea he could do it either.

Sites like compare the market are good to see which credit cards are available to you. Obviously youā€™ll need to make sure that the one you choose has a high enough limit to transfer what you owe too.

You definitely donā€™t need a credit card for every day use either, I have only but only use it for big purchases like furniture when we moved house. Setting up a spreadsheet is a good way to track your money - I have one that lists my monthly pay, then all my outgoings, so that I know what I have left ā€œspareā€ at the end of each month. Once you start to understand where your money is going itā€™s easier to manage and you may even find youā€™re paying out for things that you donā€™t need to.

Reactions: 3
Donā€™t feel embarrassed - I recently helped a family member in his 60s switch his credit card to an interest free one as his monthly payments were only ever covering the interest and therefore his actual credit card debt was never going down! He had no idea he could do it either.

Sites like compare the market are good to see which credit cards are available to you. Obviously youā€™ll need to make sure that the one you choose has a high enough limit to transfer what you owe too.

You definitely donā€™t need a credit card for every day use either, I have only but only use it for big purchases like furniture when we moved house. Setting up a spreadsheet is a good way to track your money - I have one that lists my monthly pay, then all my outgoings, so that I know what I have left ā€œspareā€ at the end of each month. Once you start to understand where your money is going itā€™s easier to manage and you may even find youā€™re paying out for things that you donā€™t need to.
Thank you. That's exactly the cycle I have been in. I didn't know about the balance transfer until this thread. There are quite a few resources out there once you know what you are looking for though. I did some comparisons to choose one. Just hoping they'll accept me. Thankfully my credit card has always been quite low (I knew I was high risk for getting in trouble so was quite firm with my bank about ever raising it to the levels they wanted. The one good decision I made when it came to the whole business!) I'm hoping the fact that I don't need to transfer a lot will work in my favour.

I am thinking that rather than cancel my credit card, I'll keep it someplace safe and just unlink it from my online accounts and ensure it's never on me. That way, it's still available if there is a genuine reason (not a "there is a good sale on X site" type reason šŸ™„)

My bank has a really good balance after bills feature in their app which lets me see how much is left after all my direct debits and standing orders are out. It's the only useful feature they've ever implemented šŸ˜‚ it's helpful to know what's left over. Currently I'm recording all my other outgoings in a notebook to hold me accountable. I tried an excel but I have found I prefer physically writing it down, it makes it feel more real? Everything is done electronically these days so it can feel very transient. Physically writing it down gives the purchase a weight. At least, that is how it is for me.

Currently I'm recording all my other outgoings in a notebook to hold me accountable. I tried an excel but I have found I prefer physically writing it down, it makes it feel more real? Everything is done electronically these days so it can feel very transient. Physically writing it down gives the purchase a weight. At least, that is how it is for me.
I do exactly the same! I have a lot to pay off at the moment from purchasing and doing up a house, so I have done a list of concrete outgoings (mortgage, bills etc) then a list of time limited outgoings (paying off credit for kitchen/bathroom, phone handset etc) and put them in a separate list with their end dates. It is making me work harder earning money passively, because there is nothing better than drawing that big line through something when its all paid off. And I can't wait for the low outgoings once all the other bits are gone :)

Reactions: 4
Has anyone else noticed that when you Google promo codes a lot of times they donā€™t work? If you visit a new website, add things to your cart and give your e-mail info but donā€™t finish the checkout process, many times they will send you a coveted promo code within 24 hours to incentivize you finishing your purchase.

I did it intentionally yesterday and got a 15% promo code. It was one of the ones advertised on Retailmenot that originally didnā€™t work for me. Iā€™m trying to do it again today because while a 30 day free subscription is nice, a 90 day one would be even nicer.

Reactions: 11
Update: It has taken a couple of days but the free subscription that I am after has upped their offer to 60 days free. šŸ™‚

Not purposely but...... I found out on my birthday that some apps I have installed gave me freebies. Free cookie from lidl, free cake from Costa coffee, free doughnut from greggs. There are probably many other apps that do the same ;) (y)

i guess this thread seems like a good place to ask this, if you donā€™t mind?
so iā€™m 21, finishing university in May. i currently have a part time job working 13 hours every other weekend & getting shifts as and when i can during the weeks. I come from a wealthy family and have always been told I will never go without money and i can always ask for some if i need any & i appreciate that i am incredibly lucky for this, however i canā€™t help but constantly be worrying about how much money i have in my account. my incomings, my outgoings, what iā€™ll spend on x y and zā€¦ I always have enough of my own money but i canā€™t help but worry about it and i never ever ask my family for money even though they say itā€™s okay to, i feel bad in asking, even if i need it, iā€™ll find ways to make extra. Does anyone have any advice on settling these worries? Iā€™m literally having sleepless nights and i donā€™t even pay bills yet (i live at home) so god knows what iā€™ll be like thenā€¦

i guess this thread seems like a good place to ask this, if you donā€™t mind?
so iā€™m 21, finishing university in May. i currently have a part time job working 13 hours every other weekend & getting shifts as and when i can during the weeks. I come from a wealthy family and have always been told I will never go without money and i can always ask for some if i need any & i appreciate that i am incredibly lucky for this, however i canā€™t help but constantly be worrying about how much money i have in my account. my incomings, my outgoings, what iā€™ll spend on x y and zā€¦ I always have enough of my own money but i canā€™t help but worry about it and i never ever ask my family for money even though they say itā€™s okay to, i feel bad in asking, even if i need it, iā€™ll find ways to make extra. Does anyone have any advice on settling these worries? Iā€™m literally having sleepless nights and i donā€™t even pay bills yet (i live at home) so god knows what iā€™ll be like thenā€¦
I suppose the question is when you leave uni, are you going to find a full time job?

iā€™m looking at an apprenticeship/ intern due to a career path change but yes i will have a proper salary. I am constantly applying and looking for these too
If you always have enough of your own money then to ease your worries maybe start putting a small proportion of your wage away as an emergency fund either in savings or investments. That way you can build up a bit of money and you might feel better.

• Heart
If you always have enough of your own money then to ease your worries maybe start putting a small proportion of your wage away as an emergency fund either in savings or investments. That way you can build up a bit of money and you might feel better.
thank you, i like that idea !

thank you, i like that idea !
Also write out a budget so youā€™re not at risk of overspending. Track your incomings and outgoings completely too. There are free apps to help. The worst thing financially is overextending yourself simply by not keeping track. I used to say ā€˜as long as thereā€™s money left at the end of the month, Iā€™m within my meansā€™ but you can save so much more if youā€™re mindful. Look at subscriptions and contracts. See if they are all worthwhile.
I also take at least 24 hours over bigger purchases. If I still want it after a few days or a week, and itā€™s affordable, then Iā€™ll get it. Impulse/boredom shopping is the enemy.

Some things to remember on your budget that are easily overlooked
- attending weddings/christenings, family dos.
- charity donations/sponsoring mates
- birthday, Xmas, life event cards and gifts
- parking & vehicle repair
- dentist & prescriptions/over counter meds for illness

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
This may be a silly question, but when it comes to repaying credit cards is it best to make the payment on the day you get the statement or the day the payment is due? Or does it make no difference? I make my payments on the day they are due as theyā€™re made by direct debit so I donā€™t accidentally forget, but Iā€™ve been wondering lately if Iā€™d be saving myself any money by making the payments earlier. For example I get my statement around the 25th and the payment is due the following month around the 21st.

This may be a silly question, but when it comes to repaying credit cards is it best to make the payment on the day you get the statement or the day the payment is due? Or does it make no difference? I make my payments on the day they are due as theyā€™re made by direct debit so I donā€™t accidentally forget, but Iā€™ve been wondering lately if Iā€™d be saving myself any money by making the payments earlier. For example I get my statement around the 25th and the payment is due the following month around the 21st.
I am no expert, but when I racked up debt I always paid minimum on the date it was due. Now if I have the money I tend to pay off straight away. I donā€™t think it really makes a difference as long as you pay it before you incur charges on it.
Thatā€™s my understanding, am no expert. So happy to be corrected if wrong.

I am no expert, but when I racked up debt I always paid minimum on the date it was due. Now if I have the money I tend to pay off straight away. I donā€™t think it really makes a difference as long as you pay it before you incur charges on it.
Thatā€™s my understanding, am no expert. So happy to be corrected if wrong.
I shouldā€™ve mentioned that I also pay the minimum amount currently. Iā€™m hoping to start paying more in the next few months as Iā€™m due a pay rise from work due to my banding incremental date and possibly another pay rise depending on what happens with this 5% raise (Iā€™m NHS Scotland). However if I manage to save a few pounds here and there it all adds up in the end, especially in the current climate.

Reactions: 2
Ooh I had fun reading this! I used to do matched betting about 5 years ago, I made Ā£1000 in about a year but it used to fry my brain! The first lot of money is fairly easy to make but then the offers slow down and it becomes more hard. Used to make a little bit of money too doing surveys, I used swagbucks a lot and vypr but not sure if theyā€™re a thing anymore. Oh and I loved topcashback so thank you for reminding me of that! Just about to return to work from mat leave but have had to reduce my hours drastically due to child care/working unsocialable hours so trying to make a few extra pennies! šŸ˜Š

I joined vinted 2 weeks ago and have made Ā£130 and it's really helped! I've got a few more things to sell hoping to save the money and use it towards something nice!

Reactions: 14
I shouldā€™ve mentioned that I also pay the minimum amount currently. Iā€™m hoping to start paying more in the next few months as Iā€™m due a pay rise from work due to my banding incremental date and possibly another pay rise depending on what happens with this 5% raise (Iā€™m NHS Scotland). However if I manage to save a few pounds here and there it all adds up in the end, especially in the current climate.
wouldnt bank on the pay rise we are getting lol its technically a pay cut