Budgeting and money saving

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Tesco sim only. I pay £9 a month for unlimited calls and texts and 10gb data.. My daughter has the same, I bought the iPhones outright to have minimal monthly payments.

Reactions: 4
I'm with Three - £10 a month for unlimited calls, texts and 30gb of data. My previous sim contract was with Three and £26 a month for unlimited calls, texts and data. I shopped about and seen a good deal with o2 with BLC discount and when I mentioned to Three I was leaving they offered me £10 a month - always worth mentioning you've seen a good deal and see if they can match/beat it! I couldn't see this deal anywhere on their site so definitely worth saying to them in case they can offer you a better deal

Reactions: 1
If any of you have a Topcashback account. They're offering instore cashback at Tesco until the 15th when you link your card.

Always check out kindle daily deals on Amazon… sometimes books I’ve had my eye on for ages that are £10+ are on offer for 99p and you can read them on the kindle app on your phone if you don’t have a kindle
Also a Waterstones plus membership card is always good value

Reactions: 3
Yes! I also do that with envelopes and its made such a different to me. I used to be one of those people who would pop into home bargains for 1 thing and end up spending £100! So now i have a set amount and it really makes me stop and think about the things i buy.
I also do similar to you at Christmas. I refuse to get into debt for it and im pretty organised and good at buying throughout the year so by December i can really enjoy the festivities and im not skint. I also have a separate savings pot for christmas, birthdays and holidays.
Meal planning is one thing i recommend everyone doing. I used to be so bad at impulse spending and just buying things for the sake of it, but im much better now. Even something as simple as a shopping list has really helped me.

Reactions: 3
Ohh nice, I used to do a similar thing with jars. I got the inspiration from a Canadian TV show "Till Debt Do Us Part" - the full show is on YouTube btw and it's pretty great. I wrote down all my expenses and kept every bill and I saved so much money! I also found that my expenses go up and down in a two month cycle, so one month I need nothing from one of the categories like "Entertainment" or "Clothes & Gifts" and the next month I need all of it.

I subscribe to weekly circulars from all of my local grocery stores. I just received an e-mail that my local Whole Foods has 50% off all frozen pizzas this week. Yay

It’s supposedly cheaper to buy produce in season. I spent frankly too much on a poster that I hung inside my kitchen cabinet to tell me what’s in season month by month. The produce prices are consistently high where I live. As a matter of fact, things like apples seem to be more costly than what I remember I’ve written those off as luxury items. Aside from bananas and alliums, I have made the switch to frozen produce.

I love bananas by the way. Twenty cents a pop - yes please!

Reactions: 1
As others have said, a budget spreadsheet has done wonders for my finances.
In 2020, I had hardly and savings. I have been working since 18 years old (now in my 30's), so it was so embarrassing that I hadn't saved much over all those years! But started a new job in 2020 and saved LIKE CRAZY and have a good amount of savings now. I have turned my finances around and in a good place now. SPREADHSEETS are the best.

Another tip: put money aside as soon as you get paid, BEFORE you spend on other things (obviously get the bills out of the way first). But before I used to (stupidly) spend first, then save the rest. Never do that, you must save first then spend the rest. I got it the right way round now

Third tip: don't go out much. Lmao, literally. Stay home and save the money (boring, I know). Or if you go out, do free things/ cheap activities.

Remember women, we must be financially stable! It's especially important for women. So that we can support ourselves if anything happens to us.

Reactions: 19
Branching off tip 3 slightly: Always keep food you can chuck in the oven in the freezer. Just nuggets and chips/pizza/microwave curry or something like that. Whatever it is that you like to have for takeaways. I find it much easier to avoid ordering food/drive thru when I know I've got that kind of food in the freezer

Reactions: 12
Another advice that I have mentioned before, don’t drink if you go out. People usually get 2-3 glasses of drink and that really add up.

Reactions: 5
That's true, if you want to buy something, check online deals first. Or online discount codes. I love discounts and sales, I hardly buy anything full price

Recently, I went window shopping for perfumes and was smelling which ones I like. Then as soon as I found the one I liked, I left the store without buying. I checked online and saw the perfume I wanted at a discounted price and bought it
As much as I wanted the perfume right away, I knew it would be worth the wait. I only saved £10 lol but every little helps.

Reactions: 6
1.I joined three apps today where you have to upload receipts. I read from another instragrammer that you can also upload the same one to all three and get points with each.

Shoppix
Huyu
Snapmyeats
Just an update about receipt uploading apps. I downloaded them at the same time Shoppix has been the best so far and I'm 95 points away from a £5 payout on paypal. They take receipts from everywhere and there are no limits.

Huyu limits you to 10 receipts a week + M&S shopping is not included. Amazon giftcard mainly.

Snapmyeats also limits you to £5 a month earnings. Amazon giftcard .

I have monzo and I withdraw instantly from my pots. Normally when I’m standing at the till, it’s super quick

I have monzo and I withdraw instantly from my pots. Normally when I’m standing at the till, it’s super quick
Just created one now, they used to be 24hrs when I last had them! Was so annoying. Think I’ll start using them a little more

Just created one now, they used to be 24hrs when I last had them! Was so annoying. Think I’ll start using them a little more
The savings pots with paragon are 24 hours withdrawal with monzo but normal pots are instant