Budgeting and money saving

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi, so I'm looking to buy a new phone and would like some advice. I probably shouldn't buy the newest model but don't want to buy something so old as to not have access to apps that everyone uses or are necessary. I'm not in the U.K, but as a general rule how do you pick out new phones?
You definitely don’t need the newest model to be able to use all the apps. I’m on the original iPhone se (the one from a few years ago not the one that came out last year) and I can still use all the apps that my partner can on his new SE with no issue. I’d say anything from the last 3-5 years will probably be fine for a while.

Reactions: 1
You definitely don’t need the newest model to be able to use all the apps. I’m on the original iPhone se (the one from a few years ago not the one that came out last year) and I can still use all the apps that my partner can on his new SE with no issue. I’d say anything from the last 3-5 years will probably be fine for a while.
Totally agree, I am on the 7 and it runs everything fine. There is little difference between them now because of the updates.

Reactions: 3
I always wait til September to buy a new phone and then always buy last years model as the price drops when they bring out a new one!
Also recommend Black Friday sales for buying a phone outright or giffgaff are pretty good for doing cheaper contracts

Reactions: 7
I've totally forgotten about switching your bank account and getting money for it! I need to switch 2 of my current accounts as I'm not getting any benefits from them.

I've got a savings plan through my work, just £20 a month for 5 years so it's not a lot but I'll be thankful for a small chunk of money when it's ended.

I don't buy jar sauces anymore, I make my own via passata, chopped tomatoes and spices etc which is much cheaper and nicer.

Me and my partner both have our car insurances with the same company and you get an overall discount.

I always check on blue light/discount websites for codes.

Don't know if it counts but I've recently put my washing on for an extra spin when it finishes and it dries in half the time which will save money from having my tumble dryer on for ages.

I used to buy new makeup and books regularly but stopped buying new makeup and get majority of my books from a charity shop but gonna join the library too.

I paid my phone off last year and went on a sim contract which was £26 a month, that's finished now and I wanted to switch to another company with a good deal but my current network gave me a better deal so now only £10 a month.

I've never sold on Vinted but might give it a go!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
That’s a great tip about putting an extra spin on the washing machine to save time tumble drying. Definitely going to do that from now on especially as my tumble dryer is tit.

• Haha
I don't have a tumble drier but in winter I put my washing on an extra spin so it can air dry quicker - not a money saving tip, a small flat issues tip

Reactions: 6
Its really handy, even if I've got stuff that can't be tumble dried I put the heating on for half an hour, clothes on the radiator and turn the clothes the opposite way and it dries in no time. It's also forced me into putting my washing away when it's done cos I normally just leave it bundled up on the dining table as it's the most tedious job 😬

Reactions: 2
I've got a savings plan through my work, just £20 a month for 5 years so it's not a lot but I'll be thankful for a small chunk of money when it's ended.
Could you tell us more about this please? How did you set it up? Does your employee contribute anything? Can you access it as and when needed?

Could you tell us more about this please? How did you set it up? Does your employee contribute anything? Can you access it as and when needed?
Yeah of course!! They had someone come in to talk to us about investments etc, could sign up for 5 or 10 years and you choose how much you wanted to contribute. I just decided £20 as I was due to start mat leave with my first and wouldn't miss the £20. My work doesn't contribute anything to it, it's solely just in an account and when it matures I'll get the money I paid in but in the lump sum form! I don't have instant access to it unfortunately but I only remember I have it when I see it coming out of my pay slip as it comes straight out my salary!

I don't have a tumble drier but in winter I put my washing on an extra spin so it can air dry quicker - not a money saving tip, a small flat issues tip
That’s a great tip about putting an extra spin on the washing machine to save time tumble drying. Definitely going to do that from now on especially as my tumble dryer is tit.
I often put my washing on a 1400 spin to make it dry quicker , but I got told it wasn't good for the machine.

My argument is that if you weren't meant to do it , they wouldn't make them ( which is an argument some people in my family have used against me for things)

Reactions: 5
I often put my washing on a 1400 spin to make it dry quicker , but I got told it wasn't good for the machine.

My argument is that if you weren't meant to do it , they wouldn't make them ( which is an argument some people in my family have used against me for things)
My washing machine automatically goes to 1400 spin for most settings! You can change it but it seems to be the default. I agree with your argument, if it’s so bad for the machine they shouldn’t have it as an option.

I’m now putting an extra spin & drain cycle on after it’s done it’s normal cycle, only takes an extra 15 mins and seems to be helping with drying a fair bit.

Reactions: 2
I create customer accounts and log in instead of using guest checkout. I get free shipping, loyalty coupons, sale codes, and dollar spends. One place has been sending 25% coupons which works on their sale items (Bloomingdale’s if any Americans are reading) and another place, Kohl’s, gives out good dollar rewards. I also keep a list of online stores that I go to check and compare prices on home wares before checking out. Things like coffee, I don’t buy at McDonald’s or Starbucks. I have a 1.87 lb of McCafé breakfast blend that I bought on Amazon for $8. Starbucks sells their syrups in store as well. I rarely buy takeaway which can get so expensive between delivery costs and tips. Instead, I keep things like a frozen pizza stashed away or a frozen mac & cheese.

I have started marking opening dates on longer lasting items like contact lens liquid, laundry powder, washing up liquid, soda stream etc so I can get an idea of how long things last me and budget for them in a more spread out fashion.

Last time I found that the big box of laundry powder lasted 10 months! Not bad for 7 quid.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I have started marking opening dates on longer lasting items like contact lens liquid, laundry powder, washing up liquid, soda stream etc so I can get an idea of how long things last me and budget for them in a more spread out fashion.

Last time I found that the big box of laundry powder lasted 10 months! Not bad for 7 quid.
Reminds me, I set up my toothbrush replacement heads on Amazon’s subscribe & save last time I ordered them. I set it up for every six months and I’m saving 5% on them. If I time things right, I can get 15% off the subscription box. I need to add four more items to unlock 15% off. I might reassess my entire oral hygiene purchasing routine 🤣 Floss, stim-u-dent, toothpaste, fluoride rinse… Nailed it 👊 I’m off to update my profile.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
I had things on Amazon subscribe but I found things were turning up and I wasn’t ready for them yet so be sure to keep an eye on how often they are set up for.

I had things on Amazon subscribe but I found things were turning up and I wasn’t ready for them yet so be sure to keep an eye on how often they are set up for.
Same. The only way I knew was either an email with ‘we’ve taken payment for…’.
But I dont want it yeeettttt

I wouldn’t have a problem putting some things in the cupboard. My concern now is the price could go up and I would not be alerted.

I just did my online grocery shopping and the prices had me shook.

I posted this and then checked my bank to see Amazon had took two payments for stuff I didn’t need 😂😂 cancelled them all now. I mustn’t have done it properly last time I tweaked them.