British teenager convicted of making up rape claims against 12 Israeli men in Cyprus

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone watching the programme about this tonight?
What channel please?

I absolutely believe she was raped. Those videos prove nothing and those sharing them around should be absolutely ashamed (and also worried as allegedly some of the men involved were under age themselves). Consenting to one, two, three or four men does not mean you then automatically consent to a further 8 of them. The situation sounds so horrific, I find it hard to believe any woman of sound mind would willingly put themselves into a situation like that. The thought of the power imbalance alone makes my heart hurt for her.

Reactions: 5
I wasn’t aware - did you catch it and if so was it a harrowing watch?
Yes it was difficult to watch and it quite upset me especially after reading here that people didn’t believe her.
She spoke about the videos and as you say @Bitofthebubbly whatever she consented to in the first instance and whether people agree with her choices or not does in no way justify what it ended up being which was gang rape. Horrific. I just feel so sorry for everything she went through.

It was on ITV

Reactions: 3
I only saw a 5 minute extract on the news at ten directly before and found that upsetting enough. What a horrific thing to go through. I absolutely believe her, it’s not a value judgement or moral position it’s because it seems so much more likely to be true.
Worth pointing out they had an interview with an expert in sexual assault and the law (or something oddly specific like that ). He has looked at all available information and says there’s no doubt the case was totally mishandled from the start. Also obvious but important to remember. She was manipulated into signing a retraction in what must have been terrifying circumstances- following a traumatic incident, in a foreign police station.

It didn’t take an expert to read that statement and know it was written by someone foreign I could have told them that much.

Reactions: 2
It didn’t take an expert to read that statement and know it was written by someone foreign I could have told them that much.
True, but it still passed for true in the Cypriot court meaning even in the UK the first many people heard of this case “a girl was found guilty of lieing about gang rape.” People hear ‘found guilty’ in a short bulletin with no time for context and confuse it for ‘true’.

Plus having an expert in the field attached to her cause is simply helpful . This whole story is so tragic partly because she seemed so alone out there..for.a 19 year old girl, being gang raped, bullied by the police and spending a month in a Cypriot prison... it’s unimaginable(plus wasn’t she stuck in the country for months?).
And the fact the expert is a man, I hate to say will provide more credibility to a certain type of person. The type that buy into the misogynistic fallacy that stupid little girls lie about rape for attention. Plenty of those in the Cypriot justice system I'm willing to bet.
And she will need all the support she can get if she is to find justice.

(These are all just thoughts on the situation rather than a direct reply to your post @Its_Me ... I’m sure we’re on similar pages )

True, but it still passed for true in the Cypriot court meaning even in the UK the first many people heard of this case “a girl was found guilty of lieing about gang rape.” People hear ‘found guilty’ in a short bulletin with no time for context and confuse it for ‘true’.

Plus having an expert in the field attached to her cause is simply helpful . This whole story is so tragic partly because she seemed so alone out there..for.a 19 year old girl, being gang raped, bullied by the police and spending a month in a Cypriot prison... it’s unimaginable(plus wasn’t she stuck in the country for months?).
And the fact the expert is a man, I hate to say will provide more credibility to a certain type of person. The type that buy into the misogynistic fallacy that stupid little girls lie about rape for attention. Plenty of those in the Cypriot justice system I'm willing to bet.
And she will need all the support she can get if she is to find justice.

(These are all just thoughts on the situation rather than a direct reply to your post @Its_Me ... I’m sure we’re on similar pages )
Yes 100%
And what makes it even worse is this will more likely than not happen again; Woman gets sexually assaulted in some way and is afraid to report it because they have heard about what happens to girls who come forward. Horrible.

Reactions: 1