Booktubers

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Booktube is really weird in that people want to act like they aren't trying to get paid for reading but everyone has a patreon and the most random sponsorships
I feel like a whole load of them need to admit that they don't like reading that much, they like the asthetics involved and collecting books. Some seem to have built their whole personality around it, managed to make money from it, have fallen out of love with reading, but realise they can still make the money.

Reactions: 2
I feel like a whole load of them need to admit that they don't like reading that much, they like the asthetics involved and collecting books. Some seem to have built their whole personality around it, managed to make money from it, have fallen out of love with reading, but realise they can still make the money.
Yes! I see many constantly acquiring new books but they barely read and they are falling out of love with YA but still trying to force themselves to love it. And then they try to force themselves to read Classics because of all the pretty covers editions lately and it being trendy to say you love the classics.

Reactions: 3
Yes! I see many constantly acquiring new books but they barely read and they are falling out of love with YA but still trying to force themselves to love it. And then they try to force themselves to read Classics because of all the pretty covers editions lately and it being trendy to say you love the classics.
Classics suck and I swear most booktubers pretend to like them.

Like those covers are beautiful, but I don't need them. I'm not trying to make my bookshelves aesthetic

Not actually a booktuber but she came across my feed today
I'd have to disagree with her here. Contemporary Romance is just as formulaic as other genres and that's why Romance readers love them, they always know what they're getting. I look at it as the same as watching a romcom movie. You know going in it's going to have a love story with a superficial conflict, a quirky female main character and a love interest that aren't immediately in love.

Reactions: 5
I'm tired of the quirky not like other women heroine in romance. I tend not to enjoy the popular illustrated cover contemporary romances. Romance has to have a happy ending but there's plenty of space to play around with other tropes.

It's awful when a pet is ill, but I don't really know how to feel about asking your followers to foot the bill.

Maybe because I have only 25 followers and they would all say no 🤣

It's awful when a pet is ill, but I don't really know how to feel about asking your followers to foot the bill.

Who’s done it this time?

Chloe did it a couple of years ago and I thought it was bad. Especially as she lived with her clearly wealthy parents and spent all her money on books and make up.

Reactions: 1
Who’s done it this time?

Chloe did it a couple of years ago and I thought it was bad. Especially as she lived with her clearly wealthy parents and spent all her money on books and make up.
Becca and Books

• Sad
Becca and Books
Thanks.
Just looked at her Twitter. I appreciate she’s just doing what she can to make sure her cat is okay, I have a dog who I love so much and would do anything for. But I also have pet insurance in place for situations like this. I wonder if becca did cause they would cover some of the costs for this surely? Most people can’t just ask people for money.

She also has a patreon and her candle business does well as she already had a following to boost the business. She relies an awful lot on her followers financially.

Out of principle I won't donate to people who make money by making content online. Becca has multiple sponsorships, a patreon and a business that she runs. She earns a LOT more than I do, and I would've expected that she would be being smart with the money and saving/paying pet insurance.

Reactions: 7
It's a situation where I feel sorry for the animal more so than the person. When situations occur I can only hope that they get the money to save their animal, obviously we're all human and we want them to be ok.

However is frustrating that people allow it to get to this point where they expect other to foot the bill for their emergencies. If you can't afford decent pet insurance you cannot afford a pet. Having a pet is a luxury, not a necessity.

As a general point with anything, if you couldn't afford and deal with anything happening, get it insured. Especially when the amount doesn't have a cap to it.
So here pets can cost A LOT of things go wrong, the amount is almost unlimited, so for the vast majority of people they can't afford to self insure. However say for a top of the range laptop breaking there is a cap to the cost, the price of a replacement, so if you think you can afford to take that risk, then don't get it insured. Just don't ask other people to pay if something happens.
(I changed my example to top of the range laptop, as a basic laptop is an essential these days and not all low income people can afford insurance or a replacement, but as I said before a pet is not a necessity)

Reactions: 8
I will never understand how booktubers will have a patreon and be getting adsense and sponsorships but then spend all that money on books. When the pubs are more than willing and do at times send them arcs of those same books. Then they wanna beg the timeline for change for necessities.

I really wish more booktubers promoted using libraries. Libraries needs support but also the amount of books that some of these people haul and then unhaul is mad. I am a librarian, I use my library but I also have a collection of books. I understand wanting to own books but personally, where possible, I read a book from the library first and then buy it if I loved it. If the library doesn’t have it, I’ll buy a copy as a treat or ask for it for my birthday. I think it’s easy to fall into wanting a huge collection but then so many sat unread while they keep hauling more and more. Financially it’s very wasteful.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Yes @Kitt ! I adore libraries. One of the highlights of moving to a new place for me is finding the local library and going in for my card, chatting to the librarians etc. Plus with apps like Libby you can get so many ebooks and audiobooks through the library too. Perhaps there might be a wait list for new releases, but I never struggle to find something I'm interested in.

Reactions: 5
I really wish more booktubers promoted using libraries. Libraries needs support but also the amount of books that some of these people haul and then unhaul is mad. I am a librarian, I use my library but I also have a collection of books. I understand wanting to own books but personally, where possible, I read a book from the library first and then buy it if I loved it. If the library doesn’t have it, I’ll buy a copy as a treat or ask for it for my birthday. I think it’s easy to fall into wanting a huge collection but then so many sat unread while they keep hauling more and more. Financially it’s very wasteful.
Books with Brittany is really good for this, she only really busy books she already read from the library. Emily Fox is another person that seems to make use of her library a lot. She mainly used it for audiobooks, but then she also buys books from their library sales.

Reactions: 3
And then when pointed out it's wasteful there's cries of "Let people spend their money their way!" Well then stop hopping online whenever you need money for something important to beg for spare change.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.