Booktubers

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is also weird as I know when I was about 14 I started reading adult books, and I'm not special for doing that! Most people my age were transitioning to adult books. Admittedly that was about 15 years ago and young adult wasn't the way it is today.
However to me it makes the clinging on to young adult seen weird to me. Coming of age stories are a hallmark of young adult books, but I sometimes think things are shelved as young adult as an excuse for their poor writing. People don't expect the same complexities in young adult books as in adult.
There's also adult books that are written simply. I've been reading the discworld books and they are completely accessible to people at a younger age, but are classified as adult.

I wrote this very piecemeal so sorry if it's all over the place, sun it up by
- YA is important for coming of age and relatable stories for teenagers.
- YA is often used as an excuse for poor writing though
- teenagers can (and do) read more complex stuff (if that's what they want to read). So simple writing shouldn't be a deciding factor as to whether something is YA
- there are simply written adult books too (humour books like discworld and hitchhiker's)

Reactions: 5
love Hitchikers! The original radio play is my comfort audiobook listen. I think I first listened to it on cassette tapes my dad gave me? (Showing my age here 😅)

Lol does anybody else find it awkward Jean and Jen are so close, and with all the advocating Jen does for accessibility ... and Jean doesn’t ever caption her stories?

Reactions: 2
Then you go on Goodreads and it's been shelved as both YA and Adult and you get confused as to what category it actually is!!
People still don't understand the main character can be a teen and it's still and adult book. It's shelved as both on Goodreads because users tag it as YA.

Is also weird as I know when I was about 14 I started reading adult books, and I'm not special for doing that! Most people my age were transitioning to adult books. Admittedly that was about 15 years ago and young adult wasn't the way it is today.
However to me it makes the clinging on to young adult seen weird to me. Coming of age stories are a hallmark of young adult books, but I sometimes think things are shelved as young adult as an excuse for their poor writing. People don't expect the same complexities in young adult books as in adult.
There's also adult books that are written simply. I've been reading the discworld books and they are completely accessible to people at a younger age, but are classified as adult.

I wrote this very piecemeal so sorry if it's all over the place, sun it up by
- YA is important for coming of age and relatable stories for teenagers.
- YA is often used as an excuse for poor writing though
- teenagers can (and do) read more complex stuff (if that's what they want to read). So simple writing shouldn't be a deciding factor as to whether something is YA
- there are simply written adult books too (humour books like discworld and hitchhiker's)
Yes, please stop using YA because the writing is more simple and not a dense tome. Or labelling it New adult. New adult doesn't exist in traditional publishing. It exists on the Amazon search tags. Adult fantasy imprints are purposely acquiring books that appeal to YA fantasy readers like The Shadow in the Glass, A Spindle Splintered, and Wendy, Darling . It's a trend right now to publish books with YA crossover appeal to get readers to buy books from the adult imprints. Booktubers will work with the publishers to get the arcs but not actually read what is the letter that comes with the arm or the marketing info printed on it. And don't pay attention to the trends in books. But they're always whining about how publishers should pay them.

Sad to see Noelle’s most recent reading vlog. She’s struggling with her mental health and she is very not herself in this video. I’ve noticed a slow decline in her energy in recent videos. I hope she’s doing okay. I can foresee her disappearing for a while off booktube.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
yeah :( she seemed like she was lowkey fighting tears almost the entire time

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Yeah currently watching the vlog and she looks like she's going through it. Hope it's not a break up. I know we haven't really seen her bf but they sounded like a really sweet couple.

While I don't love her book reviews I do really like her. I hope she's okay. Hopefully once finals are done she'll feel better?

Yeah currently watching the vlog and she looks like she's going through it. Hope it's not a break up. I know we haven't really seen her bf but they sounded like a really sweet couple.
She put on the screen at the start it’s nothing to do with family friends or boyfriend. I think it’s more personal mental health stuff for her. Maybe burnout cause some low mood, she is working full time plus doing her masters plus her YouTube channel got big fast and she was doing loads for that.

Reactions: 1
She put on the screen at the start it’s nothing to do with family friends or boyfriend. I think it’s more personal mental health stuff for her. Maybe burnout cause some low mood, she is working full time plus doing her masters plus her YouTube channel got big fast and she was doing loads for that.
I burnt out when I did my MA, so I wouldn't be shocked if it was to do with that.

Oof yeah counting down to reading other things is not a good sign, just give up and read something else. I don’t know why you’d want to read the same type of thing for a solid month. Maybe a weekend reading vlog but not a month lol. Retellings over and over again must be so samey?

Reactions: 4
I love Little Women but can't imagine reading anything other than Alcott's books and maybe a biography of her. Why does she put herself through these weird challenges? I guess just desperation for content?

found this pretty interesting, agreed with him on some of the points

i do genuinely wonder, when it comes to some adult booktubers, is it just a matter of content? do they near-exclusively read YA because they make a lot of money from doing so? i suspect that because YA readers are younger and they are more likely to engage with youtube content, and so it's just a business move...

Watching Noelle's latest TBR and every time she mispronounces something or calls a play a novel I feel like taking a shot 😂 I'm sorry, it might be snobbish and nitpicky, but the English major in me cried a little when she pronounced Don DeLillo as "Do DeLeo".

I hope she does well in her exam, and it also seems like a good opportunity for her to expand her reading and go beyond her comfort zone. I was actually surprised by the selection because apart from Native Son which I had to do as a Masters student, the rest I did as an undergrad. Maybe it's how the degrees are structured in the US I guess.

kinda off-topic, but noelle's video made me wonder, is it all that much easier to read 50 books and sit an oral exam (and a few others) than do a dissertation? im an undergraduate who isn't yet at that stage, but that sounds really intense and difficult

I actually think I’d prefer to do the test over the dissertation personally. A lot of reading but I do better in tests than extended projects.

Seems to me she hasn’t done much research about the books she’s picked for this though. She’s like repeatedly surprised there’s a poem or a play. If I was doing this I’d have spent more time considering with books to study from the list. It’s an awful lot of reading and time spent with these books to know them for that exam, seems like she’s picked randomly or picked short things or authors she’s vaguely heard of and is then surprised by their contents or format when looking them up for 10 seconds in the video.

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.