Booktubers

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The last bit - commitment to a concept is nice, but if you’re that miserable... just stop and read other things? You’re a grown adult. (from Lauren’s stories if not obvious)
Booktubers really do the most for views. Reading is supposed to be fun! If you're not enjoying yourself then stop!

kinda off-topic, but noelle's video made me wonder, is it all that much easier to read 50 books and sit an oral exam (and a few others) than do a dissertation? im an undergraduate who isn't yet at that stage, but that sounds really intense and difficult
I'd rather write the dissertation. I could easily cite 50 books in my writing but not have to fully read them all and I express myself better on paper.

Reactions: 3

did anybody else give this a watch?

i'm a POC and i found it super cringe-y. all the white guilt ridden commenters made me cringe hard too.

Reactions: 1
Watching Noelle's latest TBR and every time she mispronounces something or calls a play a novel I feel like taking a shot 😂 I'm sorry, it might be snobbish and nitpicky, but the English major in me cried a little when she pronounced Don DeLillo as "Do DeLeo".
To be fair, LL is usually pronounced like Y in Spanish, so if she's not familiar with the author, maybe that's what she was going for. Sometimes names are tricky, but of course she could always double check it before making a video...

did anybody else give this a watch?

i'm a POC and i found it super cringe-y. all the white guilt ridden commenters made me cringe hard too.
There's a lot of performative activism from white booktubers/booktokers, so that doesn't surprise me

Reactions: 2
A lot of booktubers have a really unhealthy attachment to holding on to books they didn't like or have no interest in

Isn't this the girl who admitted she only reads dialogue? She also said she listened to all these as audiobooks at work, but her summaries are making me think she didn't actually take any of the books in...

Reactions: 4

Isn't this the girl who admitted she only reads dialogue? She also said she listened to all these as audiobooks at work, but her summaries are making me think she didn't actually take any of the books in...
Yeah there’s no way she has any clue what she read. She’s definitely admitted to skim reading before and if it’s audiobooks then there’s no way she’s been able to listen properly. Someone prefers to brag about numbers than actually enjoying reading.

Myonna is a numbers person. Even books she claims to love she can never tell you anything beyond the inside flap. And she works in retail so how is she even finding time to listen to these books outside of break?

Myonna is a numbers person. Even books she claims to love she can never tell you anything beyond the inside flap. And she works in retail so how is she even finding time to listen to these books outside of break?
Through the nights maybe or before the store opens. Anytime the customers weren't in the store we could have music or whatever we wanted to on. I got through 3 in one night because they were short and i listen at 2.5 speed and i had 10 hours where i didn't have to deal with the customers

Have we all seen the latest- that we need to cancel T J Klune for saying that he came across information about residential schools when researching for House in the Cerulean Sea?

• Wow
Have we all seen the latest- that we need to cancel T J Klune for saying that he came across information about residential schools when researching for House in the Cerulean Sea?
omg what? i really enjoyed that book, but i don't keep up with the mentally unstable world of book-twitter so i've not heard of this

omg what? i really enjoyed that book, but i don't keep up with the mentally unstable world of book-twitter so i've not heard of this
I think it was on Monday. I can't find the thread now but I'll have a hunt. It's definitely one of those ones where I rolled my eyes slightly.

Apparently him saying he was never taught about it in school = exploiting residential schools

I think it was on Monday. I can't find the thread now but I'll have a hunt. It's definitely one of those ones where I rolled my eyes slightly.
I'm having to "not interested" so many tiktoks of people "calling him out"

Didn't find the original tweet, but more importantly I found the article which they are using to call him out. Much better for making your own judgement as it's the full thing.

Didn't find the original tweet, but more importantly I found the article which they are using to call him out. Much better for making your own judgement as it's the full thing.
Tbh if we're cancelling him for saying he was inspired by real life events, we have to cancel everyone who has ever used an event from history 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 4
Apparently him saying he was never taught about it in school = exploiting residential schools

I'm having to "not interested" so many tiktoks of people "calling him out"
I just looked into this some more, and I'm shocked... I guess anyone who writes about a situation they themselves haven't been through should be cancelled? if the whole 'i don't like that he made a serious historical topic into a fantasy book' criticism was meaningful, i think about 90% of the genre would have to disappear

I literally wonder if these people have read the book, because I didn't get the sense that he was romanticising the schools.... because in the book he literally has moments that show how horrible and destructive these kinds of schools/orphanages can be.

It must be hard being an author right now lmao. just spending all day batting off nutty 15 year olds on twitter who just learned what marxism means and consider themselves the epitome of woke

Reactions: 8
Personally don’t see a problem with what he’s said? I’m not going to look into what book Twitter are saying because I find it all very toxic on there.

Also, I don’t really see the difference between that and writing fiction based in Auschwitz or something?

Reactions: 3
Dude like 80% of historical fiction is heartwarming exploitation of the Holocaust so when are we cancelling that whole genre?

I bet some of those people literally found out about residential schools last week when it was all over the news.

Reactions: 8
god help me.... if i had a shot every time Chloe said stunning in her videos my liver will stop functioning. why does she use the word for bleeping everything?

• Haha
Booktube is really weird in that people want to act like they aren't trying to get paid for reading but everyone has a patreon and the most random sponsorships

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.