Booktubers

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I also assumed it was Jen. I enjoy watching her videos, they are really cosy but I wouldn’t put it pass her to have been abrupt

Reactions: 2
Completely off topic sorry but does anyone else find April a bit... idk the word. Her house is always a mess, her (beautiful and adorable) daughter seems to only exist on beds, April herself constantly looks like she just got out of bed. Idk I’m not usually one to comment on how others live but there’s something about her lazy vibe that I find really offputting and uncomfortable to watch which is a shame because I quite rate her as a booktuber.

Reactions: 1
I don’t normally engage with booktubers on social media but I replied to someone on IG today ... won’t be making that mistake again. Some people are so wrapped up in their own very specific views and take things so personally that I can’t see how they get any engagement if they expect people to moderate their communication to such an extent that even an innocent throw away comment can turn into receiving a condescending lecture.
I was sympathising with the person in question, who shall remain nameless but deals with disability a lot, but you wouldn’t know it from the reply!

(I ramble when I’m annoyed...)

*edit*
actually had a bit of a cry, I’m ashamed to admit. Feeling low at the moment and I was just shocked that someone who seems quite kind on YouTube could be quite unnecessarily rude in a private message. It was v.obvious from my message that I was speaking generally but they turned it into a lecture about their disability with a sarky endnote.
Sometimes saying nothing is kinder.
I’m so sorry this happened. It’s really unfortunate when you go to the effort of messaging them and they ruin it by being unkind. Hope you’re ok! X

Reactions: 4
Hey guys, yes, I'm ok thanks for asking :) Just getting that message late at night probably didn't help, especially when I had no idea her reply would be rude (yes, you guessed correctly.) I feel a bit silly now thinking she was quite nice ... seems people know more. Having said that, though, I find she is coming across as a bit dictator-like in videos about how people should say things, but it was obvious from my message that I was speaking in general terms and wasn't referencing her own disability in any way. Why she thought I needed to be educated in a rude way, I have no idea.

I haven't replied (even though I like a snarky reply sometimes). I can't be bothered. I'll just get another lecture, probably.

Reactions: 4
I also assumed it was Jen. I enjoy watching her videos, they are really cosy but I wouldn’t put it pass her to have been abrupt
I know of Jen via one of her Youtube "friends" (seriously, these YouTubers don't realise how much their fellow Youtube friends witch about them being their backs, it's so toxic). Jen is such an arrogant snot. She even blocked one reviewer on Goodreads for giving her book a three-star rating. She isn't the kindest person irl.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
I know of Jen via one of her Youtube "friends" (seriously, these YouTubers don't realise how much their fellow Youtube friends witch about them being their backs, it's so toxic). Jen is such an arrogant snot. She even blocked one reviewer on Goodreads for giving her book a three-star rating. She isn't the kindest person irl.
Thanks for the heads-up.
It's unsettling as a viewer how she relates so much stuff back to her disability. I know disability is her USP on booktube, but she goes over the top a lot. I'm chronically ill with multiple disabilities, but I couldn't spend my life drawing attention to them all the time. She seems totally defined by it.

Reactions: 6
I've never clicked with Jen's videos and I think it's because she comes across as thinking she's much cleverer than anyone else and can't consider anything past her own perceptions. I also hated that she tried to make out the John Lewis advert a couple of years ago was plagiarising her Franklin book because it was about a dragon and a girl with red hair....things that nobody else could conceivably come up with otherwise :rolleyes: I'm sorry she was rude to you when your intentions were good, I think that says a lot about her and thank you for sharing that experience 💛

Reactions: 6
I've never clicked with Jen's videos and I think it's because she comes across as thinking she's much cleverer than anyone else and can't consider anything past her own perceptions. I also hated that she tried to make out the John Lewis advert a couple of years ago was plagiarising her Franklin book because it was about a dragon and a girl with red hair....things that nobody else could conceivably come up with otherwise :rolleyes: I'm sorry she was rude to you when your intentions were good, I think that says a lot about her and thank you for sharing that experience 💛
I like Jen and the exchange the OP talked about is very unfortunate, sad that we all knew exactly who she meant!

However had to jump on this to say I agree about Franklin and the John Lewis ad. Drove me mad because everyone else online seemed to be agreeing with her and I was just like it's a dragon, with a girl with red hair?!?! Hardly a niche that Jen owns. The whole thing was eyeroll worthy!

Reactions: 5
I like Jen and the exchange the OP talked about is very unfortunate, sad that we all knew exactly who she meant!

However had to jump on this to say I agree about Franklin and the John Lewis ad. Drove me mad because everyone else online seemed to be agreeing with her and I was just like it's a dragon, with a girl with red hair?!?! Hardly a niche that Jen owns. The whole thing was eyeroll worthy!
I think she knew how much Chris Riddell made bank on this controversy a few years prior with John Lewis and was hoping she could rake in more sales through controversy which... wasn't a controversy. It was a stretch ti say the least

Reactions: 3
Completely off topic sorry but does anyone else find April a bit... idk the word. Her house is always a mess, her (beautiful and adorable) daughter seems to only exist on beds, April herself constantly looks like she just got out of bed. Idk I’m not usually one to comment on how others live but there’s something about her lazy vibe that I find really offputting and uncomfortable to watch which is a shame because I quite rate her as a booktuber.
Who's April?

Yes yes yes completely agree. Thought this for a long time and it put me off watching her vlogs cause she never did anything but lie in bed and she always looked a mess. I think she might use her anxiety as an excuse to not do stuff and I think that’s really easy to do rather than challenging the anxiety and getting stuff done.

I used to live and breathe Booktube when Christine, Jesse and Kat and occasionally Natasha dominated the mainstream booktube, and so I was curious and went on their channels and instagrams and I find it so interesting how little traction they get now compared to how much they used to get. Fair play to Christine to publishing two books, but with Kat especially (I'm guessing she must have a 'normal' job cause she neevr posts anymore) she posts very little and they all seem to have fallen out of the forefront to make way for others like Noelle. I just think its interesting lol was wondering if anyone else had thought the same

I used to live and breathe Booktube when Christine, Jesse and Kat and occasionally Natasha dominated the mainstream booktube, and so I was curious and went on their channels and instagrams and I find it so interesting how little traction they get now compared to how much they used to get. Fair play to Christine to publishing two books, but with Kat especially (I'm guessing she must have a 'normal' job cause she neevr posts anymore) she posts very little and they all seem to have fallen out of the forefront to make way for others like Noelle. I just think its interesting lol was wondering if anyone else had thought the same
I never liked these guys styles of videos personally but I do remember when they were huuuge. I guess it’s the same with all of YouTube and all trends in general I suppose. Naturally some people fade after a while and then others grow in popularity. It’s just natural.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
This was interesting and they talked about sponsorships, those annoying coffee b-rolls, not liking reading sprints and more

Alot of booktubers seem to be at the point where they are too old for most MG and YA but are still latching on to it.

I do feel for Jen because her health is clearly deteriorating. I can see why she feels the need to talk about her disabilities a lot because she's having to deal with a lot of changes and come to terms with what they mean plus her disabilities are a bit more visible so she gets lots of messages or questions about them. I'm glad she does talk about the issues she faces publicly and brings awareness to what it's like to live with her disabilities.

It's hard to comment on the messages she sent above without knowing exactly what was said to her and how she replied, perhaps the messages you sent crossed a line and made her feel like she needed to defend herself, however this isn't the first time I've heard of her being rude to people. I've heard the stories of her blocking people for the reviews they left as well which is a shame and does make me nervous of reviewing her content on Goodreads as someone who's a fan of her channel.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.