Booktubers

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The thing for me is that booktube is so darn condescending all of the time. So it reeks of hypocrisy to accuse others of it.

Plus as you said, there are bigger issues (petulant authors who throw tantrums when they get bad reviews for example).

Reactions: 4
If they wanna talk about privilege they need to mention that the reading sprints for the pandemic originally started with Quarantine Pages yet none of those people get acknowledged for starting it. White creators brought it to Youtube to capitalize on it and gain subs and get things bought off their wishlist.
www.forbes.com/sites/rachelkramerbussel/2020/04/06/booktubers-quarantined-pages-zoom-silent-group-reading-covid-19-pandemic/amp/

Mel, Jaleesa, Christine, and Kristin probably have the largest reading sprint group but only white Latina Mel has grown at a significant rate. Check her sub count compared to the others.

Reactions: 1
Who’s everyone’s least favourite bookstagrammer?

I just noticed my username is the same as someone on booksta but I am not that person, just saying.

Reactions: 2
Anyone watch Emma Angeline / sarcastic fish ? - no thread on her as I can tell. She seems intelligent but comes across like she thinks she’s way smarter than she is, also mega priviliged. That said I find her vlogs oddly compelling lol

Reactions: 3
Anyone watch Emma Angeline / sarcastic fish ? - no thread on her as I can tell. She seems intelligent but comes across like she thinks she’s way smarter than she is, also mega priviliged. That said I find her vlogs oddly compelling lol
I watch her! I think I like her? But also, she has a smug air I dislike. But her videos are a good watch and I like the sorts of book she reads (lots of classics etc).

Oh I like Monte! Hadn't come across his channel before. Level headed and intelligent. Thank you!

Last edited:
I really would like to watch more videos discussing the women's prize for fiction - I watched Leena's already.

The only other one I've seen in my subscriptions is a 40+ minute livestream of Lauren and the books reacting to the shortlist and the thumbnail looks like it's her screaming 🙄 the announcement video for the shortlist was only 6 minutes, how do you need a 40 minute livestream to react to that! I can't bring myself to listen to her scream about it for that long.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I don't watch a whole lot of booktube content, but I would like too if anyone has reccomendations of their favourites?

Daniel Greene is the only one I'm subscribed to at the minute, but I want to broaden my reading!

I really would like to watch more videos discussing the women's prize for fiction - I watched Leena's already.

The only other one I've seen in my subscriptions is a 40+ minute livestream of Lauren and the books reacting to the shortlist and the thumbnail looks like it's her screaming 🙄 the announcement video for the shortlist was only 6 minutes, how do you need a 40 minute livestream to react to that! I can't bring myself to listen to her scream about it for that long.
I think the shortlist videos will start coming out in the next few days, like Mercedes maybe? I watched Simon's shortlist prediction video with his mom, because I like his mom so I can put up with those videos

Eric Carle always does great videos with Anna James discussing the longlist and shortlist and predicting winner. I enjoy their discussions every year.

I don't watch a whole lot of booktube content, but I would like too if anyone has reccomendations of their favourites?

Daniel Greene is the only one I'm subscribed to at the minute, but I want to broaden my reading!
If you like Daniel (I do too) you’ll like Merphy Napier. They’ve done videos together actually. She reads mostly fantasy too, but also some general fiction. I really like her content even though I’m not a big fantasy reader!

Eric Carle always does great videos with Anna James discussing the longlist and shortlist and predicting winner. I enjoy their discussions every year.
im silly. Eric Karl Anderson is who I meant. I think Eric Carle wrote the very hungry caterpillar haha

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I watch her too and have mixed feelings. She’s clearly very intelligent and I like her taste in books, but she really is 23 and acting like she’s carrying a world of experience on her shoulders and it can get grating. Same when she’s discussing sex and relationships, I just want to slap her from across the screen and remind her how old she is 😂 but yeah, generally enjoy her book content.

I watch her too and have mixed feelings. She’s clearly very intelligent and I like her taste in books, but she really is 23 and acting like she’s carrying a world of experience on her shoulders and it can get grating. Same when she’s discussing sex and relationships, I just want to slap her from across the screen and remind her how old she is 😂 but yeah, generally enjoy her book content.
Totally get what you mean. I wonder if it comes from growing up with YouTube. She seems to enjoy Lucy moon , Hannah witton, creators who will (or used to, not watched them in ages) do like a 40 minute monologue on their own lives, what they think about being single, etc. Pretty self-orientated videos which I guess can rub off as a way to make content.

To be honest I prefer her book content to her ‘film’ work, although her review of Norwegian Wood was pretty grating lol.

Totally get what you mean. I wonder if it comes from growing up with YouTube. She seems to enjoy Lucy moon , Hannah witton, creators who will (or used to, not watched them in ages) do like a 40 minute monologue on their own lives, what they think about being single, etc. Pretty self-orientated videos which I guess can rub off as a way to make content.

To be honest I prefer her book content to her ‘film’ work, although her review of Norwegian Wood was pretty grating lol.
Which review are you referring to? The bit in her "everything I read in 2020" video? I'm not a big Murakami fan so I have mild distrust for anyone who really likes him (no offence to anyone here lol).

As to her general attitude, I think it comes from a place of insane privilege and from living a pretty sheltered life. She said it herself that most of her recent "revelations" regarding her gender and sexuality, for example, were directly influenced by tik tok. I'm only slightly older than her, and queer, and encountered most of these ideas in real life, through other queer women and just by living in a generally diverse environment. Not her fault for having a specific upbringing and coming into herself now, but it just rubs me the wrong way how she speaks like the definitive source on everything, from books to sex and relationships and queerness and gender etc etc. I'll stop before this turns into an essay, but I would love a thread on her 😂

Don’t want this to come across mean but I don’t really know how else to say this.. really like Noelle but sometimes she comes across as a bit stupid in her videos. I don’t maybe it’s more like clueless or ignorant..? I don’t know how to put it. She’s doing a masters so she must be intelligent but yeah.

just been watching a recent book haul of hers and she’s talking about Maybe You Should Talk to Someone and she says she’s wanted to read it for ages but she couldn’t find it before and now finally has it. Then she says she can’t work out whether it’s memoir or fiction so let her know in the comments. Less than 10 seconds of research would answer that question. If you wanted to read a book so much surely you’d know the answer? If you don’t know just google it why are you asking for answers in the comments? She seems to be in that stage of booktube where you just blindly buy books and don’t know what they’re about.

Just one example of a time where I’ve been like.. are you just a bit dim or just talking tit. Yeah like I said I like her videos but it’s clear sometimes she’s talking about a book and almost just making tit up lol

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.