Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

SoulDestroyer

VIP Member
Just finished Kate Summerscale's The Haunting of Alma Fielding. I can see why it got average reviews on Goodreads as it's more of an academic paper than a novel, but I didn't mind it, I like anything paranormal.

I'm slogging my way through Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath. About 20 years ago my favourite teacher told me I should read it and I've never got around to it and always felt intimidated by it. I'm loving the descriptive writing, but the dialogue is slowing me down.

I'm about half way through Joanna Nadin's The Talk of Pram Town and really enjoying it. I don't normally like books narrated (or partly, in this case) by children/teens but this one's very authentic.

lemonlime

VIP Member
Anyone read The Master & Margarita? I was loving it at the beginning but now I'm half way through, I feel like it's starting to lose me a little. Any tips on powering through?

qwikti

Chatty Member
I finished a series recently and I'm just in such a slump after it. Hate that post fantasy series slump but love fantasy!
Which series did you finish? I've started out my Brandon Sanderson journey, I'm in the middle of Elantris, and hope to pick up Mistborn next! Have you read any Sanderson, and did you enjoy it?

Geranium

VIP Member
My husband has recommended a book called Talk Oaks so I’m reading that next. Anyone here read it? He’s absolutely loving
it.

Has anyone read any Simon Mayo books? Something about him I don’t like and can’t put my finger on what it is. Still reading one of his books though 😂 Knife Edge. Not bad so far but only read a little bit.

It’s hard this year! I got there with the help of google and Twitter 😆
What sort of books does he write?

I’m about to start Good Cop Bad Cop by Simon Kernick.
Fingers crossed I’m not dissapointed. It seems like a very twisty plot

marjan

Chatty Member
I enjoyed verity but did feel like it dragged….I liked the ending though!
What other Colleen hoover books would you recommend?
Just checked on my goodreads haha because I read all of these a while ago
The ones I gave the highest rating and would 10/10 recommend: confess and november 9
The ones that were not outstanding but still enjoyable: hopeless and ugly love

Cady1954

VIP Member
Finished stolen last night, wow so many red herrings.
I really thought it was the sister all the way through, and didnt suspect the ex husband once. I thought maybe the family of the husband though. One thing I didnt get was the chapters that basically mirrored each other from the kidnappers and alex' perspective when she had Flora. The kidnapper talked about the woman seeing them in a cafe etc then Alex spoke of that too. It went way over my head. I dont know if it was supposed to be a clever bit of writing and Ive missed something as I am a quick reader
Who wrote it?

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Borrowed Nicolas Sparks The Wish after seeing so many good reviews about it,

and Lucy Clarke No Escape, I went for this one on audiobook, mostly to try and get back into them and also because I enjoyed the castaways but don’t want to commit to physically reading it 😂

Tit4Tattle

Chatty Member
I don’t read many thrillers but that’s so true! I found the same with the unwanted guest, if not more so. it feels like they have such potential and the plot is really interesting, but the author got bored towards the end and wrapped them up quickly without putting much thought into it. I did still like it though, although I hated all the characters.

Definitely! I feel like her endings are the equivalent of “then I woke up and it was all a dream” we all loved to use in primary school! This was the first
It was the first book I read by Sally Rooney and I didn't like it at all actually. I got very bored, especially with the email chapters
The email chapters are boring the life out of me too I find myself skimming over these pages as I can’t make sense about what they’re talking about anyway 😂

DietGossip

VIP Member
I'm reading Mexican Gothic- it's really dull. Has anyone else read it and does it pick up at all? Literally all the MC is doing is errands and walking around a creepy house.