Books #28

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My only thing putting me off kindle is not being able to read library books on them šŸ˜­ my library has a good selection but it would mean reading them on my phone which is a no for me. I follow a booktuber from America and they can read lib books on kindle so hopefully they'll do it soon.

Reactions: 3
My only thing putting me off kindle is not being able to read library books on them šŸ˜­ my library has a good selection but it would mean reading them on my phone which is a no for me. I follow a booktuber from America and they can read lib books on kindle so hopefully they'll do it soon.
That annoys me so much that Libby doesnā€™t work on the kindle

Hello! Iā€™m new to the book threads but am avid book work and have a TBR list as long as my arm (400 books on Goodreads šŸ˜‚) and a pile of
Books so high to read but keep getting others out from the library.
Iā€™ve read 10 books so far this year and on #11.
Currently reading The Rachel Papers by Martin Amis.
Welcome to Book Addicts Anonymous, where your addiction will be enabled and encouraged šŸ¤“

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I'm the opposite to everyone else.

I never thought I'd prefer Kindle over physical books but I've not read a physical book since 2022.

The 99p deals may be responsible for that decision though.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Has anyone read Once Upon a Broken Heart. Iā€™m 1/4 of the way through and I just donā€™t know what I think of it. It feels at time like itā€™s written by a 16 year old girl ā€œhis handsomenessā€ šŸ¤®
Yes I read it last year at some point and similar to you didn't know what to think about it but looking at my Goodreads I gave it 2 stars šŸ˜… I can't remember exactly why i didn't like it. I never read the rest of the series either so maybe it was good in the end, who knows, let me know if you end up reading them! Sorry that's probably entirely unhelpful šŸ˜…

• Haha
Guys, I'm so sad. I bought the Waterstones' signed edition of Funny Story, and had it delivered but customs decided to open the box with a cutting knife and it's completely slashed. Like the dust jacket is just an accordion.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 32
I really love physical books so Iā€™ve put off buying a kindle, but i am starting to run out of space ā˜¹ so might have to get one.

I am looking at the green coloured paper white, anyone else got this one?

Also, any other physical book lovers found the transition difficult, and is not as satisfied without the physical book?
I used to be a real book lover and swore Iā€™d never switch to a Kindleā€¦and then I borrowed my mums to take on holiday one year and Iā€™ve never looked back! Iā€™d say I now do about 90% of my reading on Kindle and I really do think itā€™s no different to reading a paper book. It does have to be a Kindle though, as others have said reading on phones and tablets is not the same. I now actually find it a bit weird to hold real books, they seem so bulky and heavy!

Reactions: 11
Has anyone read Once Upon a Broken Heart. Iā€™m 1/4 of the way through and I just donā€™t know what I think of it. It feels at time like itā€™s written by a 16 year old girl ā€œhis handsomenessā€ šŸ¤®
Yes this was how I felt!! Didnā€™t love the first one but then I saw the 2nd one in a library, decided to give it an go and actually enjoyed it more!

the cover art/ front covers just sold them to me, so pretty!

Reactions: 2
Yes this was how I felt!! Didnā€™t love the first one but then I saw the 2nd one in a library, decided to give it an go and actually enjoyed it more!

the cover art/ front covers just sold them to me, so pretty!
The covers are very pretty! Which is totally what sold them to me. Iā€™ve got the second one on my kindle too, I think I paid 99p for them šŸ¤£ I mean itā€™s ok but Iā€™m not understanding the gushing 5ā­ reviews šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

Reactions: 4
The covers are very pretty! Which is totally what sold them to me. Iā€™ve got the second one on my kindle too, I think I paid 99p for them šŸ¤£ I mean itā€™s ok but Iā€™m not understanding the gushing 5ā­ reviews šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø
I thought it read quite YA too. I enjoyed it but haven't had the urge to continue the series. I also read the first in the Caraval series but again, have not continued. Perhaps, her writing isn't for me...

I like my kindle but not as much as real books, I swap between the two but the reading experience is different. I find it doesn't sink in as well from the kindle as it does a real book.
I read on both too and have just realised I generally only read ā€˜easierā€™/quicker reads on Kindle.. and 99p deals of course.

Although saying that, when I was commuting Iā€™d read most books on Kindle. I feel like Kindle books were always a lot cheaper then though!

Reactions: 6
I'm the opposite to everyone else.

I never thought I'd prefer Kindle over physical books but I've not read a physical book since 2022.

The 99p deals may be responsible for that decision though.
I too prefer my kindle. Donā€™t get me wrong I love books but only in a library and seen as I donā€™t live in a mansion nor an I rich enough to buy all the hard copies Iā€™d like.
My kindle is my library and itā€™s stuffed so full Iā€™d probably need a huge library to house them were they were physical books.

Reactions: 9
I prefer my kindle too! I feel like itā€™s more convenient, more affordable and I have no storage space so itā€™s a lot easier that way too. Iā€™ve not read a physical book in over a year šŸ«£

Reactions: 10
It doesnt have to be all or nothing. In 2021 95% of my reading was kindle or audio and not much better in 2022 but in 2023 I set myself a challenge to read more physical books and I must say I did enjoy it. I have continued it in to 2024.

I think as a book lover its nice to have both. Where my kindle comes in to its own is if Im ever caught somewhere unexpectedly. Its always in my hand bag. I wouldnt carry my books about the same as I feel they get damaged.

Also good for books that you may not wish to have the physical copy of. You can often get them cheaper too. Just avoid the 99p deals or youl end up like us šŸ¤£ however my physical TBR is out of control too and Ive started going to the library again. Why?!?
---
Guys, I'm so sad. I bought the Waterstones' signed edition of Funny Story, and had it delivered but customs decided to open the box with a cutting knife and it's completely slashed. Like the dust jacket is just an accordion.
This is awful šŸ˜­ I wonder if Waterstones have any spares in situations like this?

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I'm about 33% audiobooks, 33% Kindle and 32% paperbacks and 1% hardbacks. The Hardbacks are when something comes out and I want it in my hands straight away, e.g. the Robert Galbraith Strike series. I love the feel and smell of a paperback but also like the portability of the Kindle for trains, waiting rooms etc. And the audiobooks for when I need to multitask.

Reactions: 5
I mostly read on the computer (Project Gutenberg ā¤ ) but I'd take a paper back over reading online. That said I'd read online over a hardback any day... But beggars can't be choosers and most of my books come from the library so šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø (also for work, a lots of academia books are only in hardback)

One thing I'd love is for my library to have audio books! When I read you guys talk about it, it feels like you live in the future šŸ˜†

Reactions: 4
I really love physical books so Iā€™ve put off buying a kindle, but i am starting to run out of space ā˜¹ so might have to get one.

Also, any other physical book lovers found the transition difficult, and is not as satisfied without the physical book?
Do you have a local library? I love physical books and also have a Kindle which my OH bought me a few years ago due to the space issue (it is handy for holidays). But I joined my local library a few years ago and found I can get most of the books I want to read there. You can even request them to order books they donā€™t have you want to read and often they do. If I really love a book or an author I still buy a copy for myself. But saves so much space and money!

Reactions: 5

I have the navy blue paper white and oh my gosh I love it. I only got it at Christmas and like you was totally against the concept, for me I now just use a mix of the two. It hasnā€™t replaced buying and reading physical books at all, if anything itā€™s just made me more considered. I think more carefully when buying a book, is this one I want in my physical collection? Or would I be happy to have it on my kindle as chances are Iā€™ll never look at it again? The 99p deals are also great, especially for books that you arenā€™t 100% sure on it wouldnā€™t want to pay full price for.

Reactions: 6