Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

vanilla cupcakes

VIP Member
Its been quiet here this week! Are we all just reading lots or not reading at all so nothing to talk about?
I’ve barely been reading 😫 I’ve been listening to audiobooks but I’m only 10% through my second kindle read this month. I’m reading other peoples clothes on my kindle, and listening to seventeen on audible

• Heart
Reactions: 9

LaBlonde

VIP Member
Its been quiet here this week! Are we all just reading lots or not reading at all so nothing to talk about?
was reading sad girl novel, which essentially drained my ability to think about anything other than how much i wished i wasn’t reading it 🤣 haven’t thrown a book into my tesco donation bag so harshly in a while!

but now reading psyche and eros by luna mcnamara which is delightful so we’re back on track 🙌🏻

• Wow
  • Heart

slugella

VIP Member
even as a emhen enjoyer, i really didn’t like happy place. the main couple were just so badly matched imo. even at the end of the book, all of the issues still remained and they hadn’t really talked anything through. i hate reading a romance based book where you just feel like the central couple would be better off apart. the whole supporting cast were so annoying too.

i remember that when i read it the top goodreads review was something like “this book made me glad to be single” and i FELT that 🤣
Totally agree!! Also all of a sudden it was just like "oh I hate being a doctor I'll just quit and move to you". Which is fine but it felt a bit out of nowhere. I think she tried to hint about her not enjoying work but I think it could have been explored better. Also the friendships changing as you get older has SUCH interesting potential but wasn't done well here imo. Whewww end rant. The more I think of the book/characters the more wound up I get. 😅

---

I also read This Family recently by Kate Sawyer, I didn't read The Stranding as didn't sound like my kinda thing but love love loved This Family. It reminded me a lot of The Most Fun We Ever Had which I know a few people here also enjoyed. I think The Most Fun is slightly higher rated for me, but really did enjoy This Family too. It's a multi-POV, all set over one day when one of the characters is getting married, but alternate chapters show flashbacks into the history of the characters/family.

• Heart

LaBlonde

VIP Member
I just realised that the same topics come up regularly here; best Kindles, how to get into audio books, Kindle vs real books etc. On any other thread on here people would be like “we’ve already talked about this!”, “read the wiki”, “just search for what you want” etc. But us lot are always just so happy someone’s talking about books that we rehash the same conversations to welcome someone in and make them included. What a lovely bunch we are ❤
i always think this too - i love this thread 💙💙

• Heart

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
I went to pick up a couple of requested books from the library, and thought I'd stretch my legs a bit, doing a loop of the shelves on the way to the checking out machine.
Strangely I seemed to have 5 more books when I arrived at the machine. 😲
I can't think where they came from 🤷
Started reading one of them - The Secret Hours by Santa Montefiore. Turns out it's a sequel to the Deverill saga! A bit of a strain on the brain cells trying to remember the history of the saga though. 😁

• Haha

HoGi

VIP Member
Bit late to the party but I just read Strange Sally Diamond.

It was great until it wasn't...
just feel like the ending was a bit blah

Reactions: 8

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
Our local National Trust place has a delightful used book shop. It is all higgeldy piggeldy, steps up and down all over the place, alcoves to hide away in. It is really lovely. And so much cheaper than other used book shops.

cill2019

VIP Member
6.5hrs into Ruthless Vows and….. I love it 🤣 I must be an exception to the rule. I listened to 5.5hrs non stop yesterday doing the housework and couldn’t wait to put it on today.
on the other hand I have been trying to get through Never Lie for a WEEK, A WEEK and it is dull 🤦🏻‍♀️
Also my replacement Mad Honey arrived and the library books are dropped off 🤣🥳
---
We got you! Xx
I ❤ this thread

• Heart

Lola UK

VIP Member
As usual, I’ve completely ignored my TBR list and impulsively ordered Fourth Wing to read and bought Seventeen as an audiobook to listen to. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Trixxx

VIP Member
I'm reading The Women by Kristen Hannah and really enjoying it. It's my first Kristen Hannah despite owning The Nightingale.
I loved this book so much. I was hooked and finished it really fast, but then was horribly sad that it was done. The Nightingale is my favourite book.

• Heart

Love_hate_small_town

Chatty Member
Anyone else reading Piglet by Lottie hazel? I stumbled across it but really enjoying it. Probably one to avoid if you are recovering from an ED although so far it’s not explicitly about that it does involve a lot of food and talk of eating (some disordered).
I’m making it sound rubbish but I’m really enjoying the class element. Also what I loved about pineapple street. Class traitor/ class gosh out of water themes might be my new niche so if anyone has any recommendations in that area I’d be keen to hear them.

Not ignoring the recommendations from previous posts, just waiting for them to arrive at library.

tp1986

Yay!! So happy to hear a positive review from someone who didn’t like HP either. You’ve convinced me …. Trip to my local Waterstones today I think 😊
I was going to hold off on buying Funny Story but now you're all convincing me, this thread is bad for my bank balance 🙈

I got a nice haul on my Bath trip- A Fragile Enchantment by Alison Saft, The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown, Find me (call me by your name sequel) plus a bunch for the kids and husband. I'm still reading The Familiar by Leigh Bardugo at the moment, it's not like her other stuff but enjoying it for now!

• Heart

daisynoon

Chatty Member
Just finished Parable of the Talents. This is one of the top goodreads reviews, and says everything for me:
Screenshot_20240416_203948_Goodreads.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow

cill2019

VIP Member
Another 3 99p books today 🤦🏻‍♀️ right I am putting myself on a buying ban. No books in May also possibly June 🤣

I’m also feeling EmHen fomo 🤣 I haven’t read any of her books 😔
Note to self check your kindle before claiming you have fomo 🤦🏻‍♀️
Apparently I bought Happy Place at one point and just forgot 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart