Books #27

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I finished A Court of Thorns and Roses today, it was ok. I was hoping for a bit more smut (haha) but the story was engaging enough. Not sure that genre is totally my bag though... but good to try new things! I listened to the audiobook and found the narrator's voice a bit jarring and annoying so perhaps that coloured my enjoyment slightly. She sounded like some kind of AI/digitally-generated audio, it felt stilted at times. And some pronunciation annoyed me - she said 'shone' like 'shown'. Perhaps I'm just frustrated there wasn't more Tamlin/Feyre action!
That's how I felt as well when I read it but it's on purpose and it might or might not get more smutty later 👀

• Haha
Reactions: 7
love love this book! it’s a big commitment but absolutely worth it imo 💙
It really is a big commitment 1553 pages! I've never read a book that long, think my longest was Gone with the Wind at about 1000 pages. Anyway I've bought it as its a book I've always wanted to read!

• Wow
  • Heart
It really is a big commitment 1553 pages! I've never read a book that long, think my longest was Gone with the Wind at about 1000 pages. Anyway I've bought it as its a book I've always wanted to read!
hope you enjoy it 💙 i love it, but then i do love a good 1000+ pager 🤣 make sure you have a lot of snacks and drinks of your choice to hand!

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I'm a quarter in This is going to hurt by Adam Kay (after recommendations here) and the story about the husband, a plasterer, knowing the exact frequency and duration of his wife's contractions and how she was dilated to 6 cm was oddly sweet 😭 On the other hand, the stories about the degloved 18yo or the woman being 'wear as Sooty' scared me for life :sick: (Edit: not my usual type of book, but it's very funny, laughed a few times out loud and quite informative at the same time. Will probably be a 5 stars!)

Reactions: 9
I'm a quarter in This is going to hurt by Adam Kay (after recommendations here) and the story about the husband, a plasterer, knowing the exact frequency and duration of his wife's contractions and how she was dilated to 6 cm was oddly sweet 😭 On the other hand, the stories about the degloved 18yo or the woman being 'wear as Sooty' scared me for life :sick: (Edit: not my usual type of book, but it's very funny, laughed a few times out loud and quite informative at the same time. Will probably be a 5 stars!)
I have no experience of the NHS nor had I ever heard of Adam Kay until listening to a podcast & ending up buying the book. I read it years ago. Definitely pre-Covid. However, I do think about it relatively frequently and I am someone who often forgets most of book once I'm done with it. There is one devastating story in it that has stuck with me since then. It is totally my kind of book though.

I'm reading Preloved at the moment and really, really like it. I know not everyone loved it, but I love the author's writing style. I am annoyed that I ordered it from the UK as I couldn't find it here and then found out a few days ago that it has a different title here.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Embarrassingly, I didn’t know Poor Things was a book! I watched the film last week and loved it (I love a weird film) so this has gone on my TBR.

I’m 60% through All The Light We Cannot See. I’m not really gelling with it even though it’s beautifully written. I’ve been on it since January so just need to finish the bloody thing so I can start something else 😂
I am really enjoying Poor Things. It’s so bleeping weird I am laughing with delight and shaking my head and reading random bits out to my partner. It is really strange (in a great way) - I am glad you put on the tbr pile! I recommend.

Reactions: 5
Hello all! 👋

Venturing in to ask a question about a book series; the Joanne Harris Chocolat books? Are they worth reading?

I picked them up in a charity shop months ago and they've been on my TBR shelf ever since. I'm just not drawn to them at all and just wondered if they were worth giving a try?

I used to read a bit of everything, my style was essentially "whatever is in good nick at the charity shop", but now I've really found I enjoy biographies, true stories / true crime and thrillers / crime books now.

I'm just wondering if I've strayed too far away and the Chocolat ones are going to be too "nice" for me now? 😂

Amy thoughts appreciated!

Reactions: 1
I finished The Great Alone. I think I have a new all time favourite book 😭 I read it on Kindle but think I need to look for a copy for my bookshelf to keep forever. Hardbacks are going for nearly £100 though!!!

Matthew 😭😭😭😭💔💔💔 tell me I’m not the only one who blubbed the entire way through the chapter where they reunite and he meets his son for the first time 😭😭 so much heartbreak in one book, I can’t cope. My only complaint is I would have liked more chapters of them rebuilding their new lives together rather than the brief mention in her final words. But that’s just a reflection of how much I loved the book and didn’t want it to end!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
I finished The Great Alone. I think I have a new all time favourite book 😭 I read it on Kindle but think I need to look for a copy for my bookshelf to keep forever. Hardbacks are going for nearly £100 though!!!

Matthew 😭😭😭😭💔💔💔 tell me I’m not the only one who blubbed the entire way through the chapter where they reunite and he meets his son for the first time 😭😭 so much heartbreak in one book, I can’t cope. My only complaint is I would have liked more chapters of them rebuilding their new lives together rather than the brief mention in her final words. But that’s just a reflection of how much I loved the book and didn’t want it to end!
I struggled to hold it together too. I read it on holiday and was just so immersed in the characters and the story and it was just so captivating. Her descriptions of the landscape and everything about it felt so visceral and real. It was like I was there. Just wonderful ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I struggled to hold it together too. I read it on holiday and was just so immersed in the characters and the story and it was just so captivating. Her descriptions of the landscape and everything about it felt so visceral and real. It was like I was there. Just wonderful ❤
Agree! Her writing is so immersive. I finished The Women last week and would have happily read anything 200 pages!
---
Talking of Kristin Hannah, I saw a comment in instagram referring to the assumption she’s an ‘airport author’.. I thought of her as historical fiction and can’t remember seeing her books prominently in any airport.
It did make me think though, what is an airport author?! All I could think of was the type of crime books eg. Jeffery Archer or authors that seem to release a new book every year but I can’t think of any examples.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
It did make me think though, what is an airport author?!
In French we say mostly 'train station books' (livres de gare or romans de gare) which I guess is the same thing? It means easy, quick read, entertaining but not very deep or the best literature-wise. They will entertain you while travelling or during holidays and are mostly targeting women/mothers. It's often crime books, historical fiction or romance/sentimental.

Reactions: 10
I do think Kristin Hannah could be an airport author. Not a diss, but she does write very readable fiction. Not quite literary but not fully commercial, and her books have been part of Celebrity Bookclubs so they do often get carried by airport bookstores like Hudson in the US.
---
ETA: I think the term is meant as a diss because society often undervalues what women like, but it's hard work to write something that's compulsively readable.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I would think an airport read would be like a book you pick up on the move without thinking about it. Like you wouldn't choose it at a proper bookstore but it's a good enough book to grab for the plane if you forgot to bring one? If that what it means then I wouldn't say Kirstin Hannah is one

Reactions: 5
I think the term is meant as a diss
It's a bit condescending (though I think it's probably more of about social class snobism than misogyny) but at the end of the day it brings a lot of money to authors/the publishing industry. Given that less and less people read, any popular book should be counted as a win, no matter what their genre! (while still encouraging people to read 'meatier' books too - - edit: not a diss at K. Hannah, as I haven't read her books, can't judge how substantial they are).

On a complete differente note: I 'read' The boy, the mole, the fox, the horse today to a friend's kid. Worse. Children. Book. Ever. It felt like an ersatz of The Little Prince if it was written by Paolo Coelho... Am I missing something? I read so many people fawn over this book but I don't get the hype.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8

One of her best ones imo ❤ I think I've said here before she's a bit hit and miss for me but I adored that one.

---

I'm so tempted by This Family by Kate Sawyer and thought it sounded good for us The Most Fun We Ever Had Fans. Anyone read it? I didn't read The Stranding by her as didn't sound like my kinda read but have heard good things about her writing.

In French we say mostly 'train station books' (livres de gare or romans de gare) which I guess is the same thing? It means easy, quick read, entertaining but not very deep or the best literature-wise. They will entertain you while travelling or during holidays and are mostly targeting women/mothers. It's often crime books, historical fiction or romance/sentimental.
Ah that makes sense! I thought about it a bit after I posted and realised that what’s an airport book is probably what I’ve seen/thought of a ‘beach read’.
---
I do think Kristin Hannah could be an airport author. Not a diss, but she does write very readable fiction. Not quite literary but not fully commercial, and her books have been part of Celebrity Bookclubs so they do often get carried by airport bookstores like Hudson in the US.
---
ETA: I think the term is meant as a diss because society often undervalues what women like, but it's hard work to write something that's compulsively readable.
Ah yeah agree on the diss interpretation, I think that’s how I interpreted it and felt a bit offended on KH’s behalf. I can forgive a book more/give it an extra star if it’s been a compulsive read!

On a complete differente note: I 'read' The boy, the mole, the fox, the horse today to a friend's kid. Worse. Children. Book. Ever. It felt like an ersatz of The Little Prince if it was written by Paolo Coelho... Am I missing something? I read so many people fawn over this book but I don't get the hype.
This is the first time I've heard anyone talking about this book negatively and I'm here for it. Seriously disappointed with myself for believing the hype 😕

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.