Books #26 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was just enjoying everyone’s monthly wrap ups haha. Name a worse time to hit 1000 posts 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11
ED0323BF-5D4E-458D-BAE8-18A085582D84.jpeg

my january reads. had a really good month for the most part!

really hard to choose a favourite, I rated both the dead romantics and do no harm 3 stars and the rest were 4 or 5 stars. if I had to choose I’d probably say none of this is true or take it back was my favourite.

least favourite is easy, it starts with us. I only read it because I was out and it was the only audiobook I had downloaded and ready to listen to but it was just so predictable and honestly a waste of time. so clearly written as a cash grab imo.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I have an hour left of Preloved, was desperately trying to finish tonight but can't keep my eyes open.

6 books this month (2 were health books which aren't included below). My favourite was The Colour Purple, I also watched the original film which I actually preferred over the book.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I’ve read 2 books in January - I Am Pilgrim and Love and Fury by Paris Fury (I love her 😂).

I’m 90% through Haunting Adeline by H D Carlton and I’m so annoyed I didn’t finish before midnight. At least I’ll get my February read books off to a good start! It’s my first dark romance and I’m unsure how I feel.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I'm absolutely loving how everyone is posting their reading wrap ups!! I've read 6 in January:

A Court of Wings and Ruin - Sarah J. Maas ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Beach Read - Emily Henry (reread for my bookclub so no rating, but I gave it ⭐⭐ the first time I read it)
A Court of Frost and Starlight - Sarah J. Maas ⭐⭐⭐
Yellowface - R.F. Kuang ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Heart Bones - Colleen Hoover ⭐⭐⭐
Foster - Claire Keegan ⭐⭐⭐⭐

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I'm absolutely loving how everyone is posting their reading wrap ups!! I've read 6 in January:

A Court of Wings and Ruin - Sarah J. Maas ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Beach Read - Emily Henry (reread for my bookclub so no rating, but I gave it ⭐⭐ the first time I read it)
A Court of Frost and Starlight - Sarah J. Maas ⭐⭐⭐
Yellowface - R.F. Kuang ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Heart Bones - Colleen Hoover ⭐⭐⭐
Foster - Claire Keegan ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Hmmmmm, my book club had Beach Reas in January too 🤔

Just finished A Curse for True Love - Stephanie Garber. Gave it a 2⭐ but I feel like I’m being generous. I am a plot driven reader, I’m a “I want to know what’s going to happen stop talking and get on with it” reader. There was so so so many plot holes so it just ruined it for me. I got so confused at one point I ended up googling something because I was so confused and thought I had missed something. Nope a throw away line was apparently the explanation.

Reactions: 6
Just finished A Curse for True Love - Stephanie Garber. Gave it a 2⭐ but I feel like I’m being generous. I am a plot driven reader, I’m a “I want to know what’s going to happen stop talking and get on with it” reader. There was so so so many plot holes so it just ruined it for me. I got so confused at one point I ended up googling something because I was so confused and thought I had missed something. Nope a throw away line was apparently the explanation.
Ahh noo I hate when books are like this. I have this one high on my tbr list :unsure:

Reactions: 1
The Night She Disappeared - Lisa Jewell.

I absolutely devoured this book. I thought I could predict what had happened, but I was very wrong!
The audio book narration by Joanne Frogatt is great. It really helps to create a "them and us" feeling between the "normal" people and the posh set.

The thing that I really loved about this book is how all the "regular" people just want to get to truth: Kim, Sophie etc while all the posh set have the arrogance to think they can hide what happened, and when they finally feel like it, start breadcrumbing little clues here and there, like it was some game.

It really shows how selfish they all were- they only cared about what the impact the truth might have on them, rather than justice for (the admittedly disgusting) Zach and poor Tallulah.

Scarlett was a warped narcissist who truly thought the world revolved around her.
Mimi said nothing and only spoke up a year later because she couldn't live with the guilt, not out of any sense of right and wrong.
Lexie said she didn't say anything because she didn't want her upcoming trip to be ruined! Poor her , the inconvenience of it!
And Liam (who was probably the best of a bad lot), the only reason he didn't cover up the murder for Scarlett was because she ditched him, and he felt like payback.

Not one of those people acted out of a desire to do the right thing, and not one of them had a single thought for poor Kim living in hell for over a year because of their selfishness.

One thing I would have loved to have seen was Kim getting together with Dom. I do like that they hinted at something there, I guess it's nice not to have every little thing wrapped up in a neat little package.

I like the read herring that was laid about the smell in the cottage!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Thought this looked good
I love a bit of Irish angst

Edit to add I’ve just got The Woman who walked into Doors on Libby to relive higher English. God I loved that book

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 5
My reading challenge this year is to read the ~50 books on my Kindle and try not to buy any more for a while. I checked my amazon wishlist this morning and 3 of them were 99p. Couldn't resist buying them!

I did have a great reading month though:

'Salem's lot 👌
Alice's adventures in wonderland👍
Asking for it (audiobook)👍
I'm glad my mom died (audiobook)👍
The housemaids secret👌
Malibu Rising (audiobook) 🩷
The virgin suicides 👎
Maybe in another life (audiobook)👍
Wrong Place wrong time👍
Mad honey (audiobook) 👍
Last of the magpies👍
Maybe baby (audiobook)👌

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Libby finished with my library yesterday and it has now moved to Borrow Box. I set up a few reservations on Borrow Box because they all had months and months to wait, but they have all come through today! I didn't know that you get your Borrow Box reserves straight away, and I don't think I'll be able to finish them all before they expire! Is there any way I can "pause" them like on Libby, or do I just have to return then re-reserve?

Reactions: 1
I read more in January than I did in the last few months of last year so I was pleased with that.

1️⃣ Last One at the Party by Bethany Clift - easily my top book of the month (and favourite for some time), I still find myself thinking about it often.

2️⃣ The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides - the Tattle book club book, think I was alone with @Caffeine Fiend in liking it 🤣

3️⃣ The Passengers by John Marrs - I already posted about how I didn’t get on with this one, despite thinking I would from the premise, but I’ll give other Marrs books a go

4️⃣ Confessions of a Forty-something duck Up by Alexandra Potter - I’m sure I read about this book on here but I don’t know if the original poster had read it or had just mentioned it. Anyway I spent the first 20% or so really not sure about it and genuinely consider a DNF (something I don’t do) because I couldn’t be bothered with the whining about not having a husband or babies… and then, I don’t know what happened, but I got invested and enjoyed the rest of it. The whining calmed down, some of the writing was funny, it was predictable but an enjoyable read nonetheless.

5️⃣ The Due Date by Niki Mackay - a 99p kindle purchase. Utter nonsense, every twist and turn took it down an even more unbelievable route. Two dimensional unlikeable characters and just, weird. It’s also (potential spoiler?) yet another book that seems to have gone the same way as The Housemaid and tried to do a 180 turn in the final paragraphs. I know The Housemaid wasn’t novel (no pun intended) and didn’t create that method but I’ve noticed an uptick in the number of releases now using it. Anyone else?

➡ I’m now reading Bad Summer People by Emma Rosenblum. Trashy, with ten too many characters, but I’m drawn in nonetheless. Although, I do feel like it wants to be Big Little Lies a little too much

• Heart
Reactions: 14
@ToolaRoola sorry I don’t know if you can quote from the last thread 🙈 I hope you like If I can’t have you, I can see why it’s not for everyone but I really did enjoy it.

Ah, I’ve bought the hardback of Single Female Character but maybe I should listen on audio. I’ve been tempted by the audible offers but never actually listened to a book as a grown up 😂. One of my favourite things ever as a kid was getting the storybooks with the cassettes and listening to them, I’m showing my age here! I think I’m a little scarred after listening to Rumpelstiltskin whoever voiced him gave me chills I can still hear him saying ‘tomorrow the queens own child I’ll take’ it was so creepy 😅
I do love the idea of listening to her narrate so I’m very very tempted 😬

Reactions: 7
@ToolaRoola sorry I don’t know if you can quote from the last thread 🙈 I hope you like If I can’t have you, I can see why it’s not for everyone but I really did enjoy it.

Ah, I’ve bought the hardback of Single Female Character but maybe I should listen on audio. I’ve been tempted by the audible offers but never actually listened to a book as a grown up 😂. One of my favourite things ever as a kid was getting the storybooks with the cassettes and listening to them, I’m showing my age here! I think I’m a little scarred after listening to Rumpelstiltskin whoever voiced him gave me chills I can still hear him saying ‘tomorrow the queens own child I’ll take’ it was so creepy 😅
I do love the idea of listening to her narrate so I’m very very tempted 😬
Do you have Spotify premium? If you do, you can trial an audiobook on that, and see how you get on! The narrator does make such a difference (for better and worse 😅)

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.