Book Readathon! August bank holiday weekend.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
MOD EDIT.
The book thread is doing a readathon, thank you for the idea and structure biscuits!!!
setting up a new thread to inform others incase they also want to join in.
as stated no pressure, it’s more for fun than anything else.

Details below;

Ok drumroll please!

I've gotten my thinking cap on and come up with a rough structure for Tattle's Inaugural Readathon. It's taking place over the August Bank Holiday weekend and you can take part in as much or as little as you like. I've mixed in prompts and some games too. Happy to do a quiz if enough people are interested - I bloody love a book quiz!

Day 1

Introduce yourself!

Hello my name is....

I plan to read...... during the readathon

The last book I read was...

My favourite book as a child was....

My favourite book as a teenager was.....

My favourite book now is.....

2 x reading sprints with specific times (these can run each day - more on these below.).

End of day check in - pages read, coffee drunk, change of goals tomorrow? (can do this at the end of each day - no pressure!)

Day 2

Three books that sum up me....

Turn to page 42 in your current read. Share the first line with us. Can anyone guess where it's from?

Which book would you like to live in and why?

Day 3

Show us a photo of your bookmark/ebook reader cover/associated reading paraphernalia

Tell us about the book(s) this thread has inspired you to read.

READING SPRINTS

These are designed to get you reading within a set time frame. Everyone closes Tattle 😉, picks up their reading material and just reads for 15 minutes, half an hour or whatever time frame we agree upon. You can report back with how much you've read, beverages/snacks consumed etc. They seem to be quite keen on stats in the readathon community and I quite like that myself 🤣

Happy to take feedback, suggestions and comments re the plans.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Ok drumroll please!

I've gotten my thinking cap on and come up with a rough structure for Tattle's Inaugural Readathon. It's taking place over the August Bank Holiday weekend and you can take part in as much or as little as you like. I've mixed in prompts and some games too. Happy to do a quiz if enough people are interested - I bloody love a book quiz!

Day 1

Introduce yourself!

Hello my name is....

2 x reading sprints with specific times (these can run each day - more on these below.).

End of day check in - pages read, coffee drunk, change of goals tomorrow? (can do this at the end of each day - no pressure!)

Day 2

Turn to page 42 in your current read. Share the first line with us. Can anyone guess where it's from?

Day 3

Show us a photo of your bookmark/ebook reader cover/associated reading paraphernalia

READING SPRINTS

These are designed to get you reading within a set time frame. Everyone closes Tattle 😉, picks up their reading material and just reads for 15 minutes, half an hour or whatever time frame we agree upon. You can report back with how much you've read, beverages/snacks consumed etc. They seem to be quite keen on stats in the readathon community and I quite like that myself 🤣

Ooh love it! I’m not sure how much time I’ll get over the weekend as we’ve got a few plans but I’m sure I can find some pockets of time to get involved.

Reactions: 2
Ooh love it! I’m not sure how much time I’ll get over the weekend as we’ve got a few plans but I’m sure I can find some pockets of time to get involved.
Fab! I was trying to plan activities that weren't time sensitive (except the reading sprints). Hope to see you there 😊

Reactions: 1
Ok drumroll please!

Day 1

Introduce yourself!

Hello my name is....

Day 2

Day 3

READING SPRINTS

I can't wait! Already thinking of which books to read :giggle:

Ok drumroll please!

Day 1

Introduce yourself!

Hello my name is....

Day 2

Day 3

READING SPRINTS

Yay, how exciting! Like stated above, i'm already thinking about what I'll read! Thanks so much for planning all of this out ❤

Book thread;

Reactions: 2
Happy banksy to anyone who gets to celebrate 😂

even if you don’t want to take part in a full readathon due to time commitment and the fact it’s to be a beautiful weekend

why not take a while to read and relax and come have a chat amongst the dumpster fire that is our world right now 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Hello! Happy Bank Holiday to the Brits, I hope there's some sunshine for you all and a chance to read outside. I'm in lockdown at the moment (no fun!) but it's a sunny weekend and I have plenty to read.

Hello my name is: Mindlessness

I plan to read...... during the readathon:
The Guest List by Lucy Foley
Just the one - I'm aiming low :LOL:

The last book I read was:
Beach Read by Emily Henry (loved it!)

My favourite books as a child was:
Milly-Molly-Mandy by Joyce Lankester Brisley

My favourite book as a teenager was:
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

My favourite book now is:
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Hello my name is: HoGi

The Hollows by Mark Edwards and career if Evil by Robet Galbraith

56 days by Cathryn Ryan Howard (set in Dublin in lockdown absolutely bloody brilliant)

My favourite books as a child was:
The phantom tollbooth by Norton Juster

Harry Potter or the Angus Thongs and Full frontal snogging series

I can't narrow down to one soooo

I am pilgrim by Terry Hayes
The nothing man by Cathryn Ryan Howard
The Martian by Andy Weir
Before the coffee gets cold by Toshikazu Kawaguchi

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Hello my name is Katykatykaty

I plan to read Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel during the readathon.

The last book I read was The End of Men by Christina Sweeney-Baird

My favourite book as a child was Dogger by Shirley Hughes.

My favourite book as a teenager was Harry Potter.

My favourite book now is Three Hours by Rosamund Lupton or The Last One at the Party by Bethany Clift. Or maybe The End of Men!

• Heart
Hello, hello and welcome to the Bank Holiday Readathon! It's a surprisingly sunny day here at Biscuit Towers so hoping to get some reading time in the garden.

@mindlessness Sorry to hear you're in lockdown. Hope the books and this thread can keep you company over the weekend.

@HoGi 56 Days sounds interesting. Dublin is one of my favourite cities so might pop this on my TBR list.

@Katykatykaty I read Three Hours thanks to Tattle and have been recommending it to everyone. Really hope it's made into a television series.

--------------

Hello my name is: Biscuits. Smells of biscuits

I like having a wee list to flick between. Hoping to finish Firefly Lane as I only have a couple of chapters to go. I also have My Year of Rest and Relaxation on my Kindle app which I've been reading when the kids are having a car nap.

My planned paper book reading list is as follows:

Blue Ticket by Sophie Mackintosh
The Summer Book by Tove Jansson
Rizzio by Denise Mina
Luster by Raven Leilani
The Pull of the Stars by Emma Donoghue

Summerwater by Sarah Moss. Fabulous dark summer read set over 24 hours in a rainy Scottish holiday camp.

My favourite book as a child was:

Again cheating here but the first three books of the Chronicles of Narnia were on constant rotation in my house. So The Magician's Nephew, The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe and The Horse and his boy.

A coin toss between Junk by Melvin Burgess or In A Land of Plenty by Tim Pears.

This was really hard to answer! I have been revisiting books I read in my 20s and one that stands the test of time is The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.

Happy reading everyone ☺

• Heart
Hello! I'm DietGossip

I plan to read (or at least make a good dent in!)

Madam by Phoebe Wynne
Ariadne by Jennifer Saint
The Bromance Book Club by Lyssa Kay Adams
Vicious by V E Schwab
Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Potentially a few novellas that I still have on my Kindle? I'm travelling and from somewhere today so I might be able to read some of these in the car. Will obviously report back if I do!

The last book I read was Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid and oh my god she is a genius at writing. I love her, I love her books. She's an auto-buy author for me.

My favourite book as a child was the Harry Potter series.

My favourite book as a teenager was the Percy Jackson series. I love mythology and fantasy!

My favourite book now is anything by Taylor Jenkins Reid, my top book of 2021 so far is Honey Girl by Morgan Rogers

• Heart
Reactions: 6
@DietGossip Welcome! I bought The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo last week as it has been following me on BookTok 🤣

--------------------------

Managed a wee reading sprint there and finished off Firefly Lane. It was so much better than the Netflix series. But oh boy, needed my tissues for the end. And I've just ordered a copy of the sequel 🤣

Would anyone be up for a reading sprint this afternoon?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Hello my name is - Qwikti :m

I plan to finish reading the following during the readathon (ambitious, i know!!)-
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov​
A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas​
The Secrets of Us by Lucinda Berry​

The last book I read was The Last Mrs Parrish by Liv Constantine

My favourite book as a child was The Butterfly Lion by Michael Morpurgo, ANYTHING by Jacqueline Wilson, Chocolate Box Girls by Cathy Cassidy

My favourite book as a teenager was Harry Potter series, The Hunger Games series, Divergent series, The Maze Runner series (mainly book 1)

My favourite book now is Villette by Charlotte Bronte, The Idiot by Elif Batuman, 1984 by George Orwell

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feeling very pumped up to get some books finally finished! I have a goal to read at least one classic (modern or otherwise) a month, and I've got quite a lot of M&M to get through. @smellsofbiscuits I'd love to do a reading sprint!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Hello my name is: nbt

Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter. We have plans this weekend but I’ll be reading as much as possible and hope to get through as much as this book as I can!

Every Mother’s Son by Alex Smith. I was a little disappointed after reading the six previous books in this series. My favourite parts were the interactions between the main characters and I wasn’t as bothered by this storyline.

My favourite books as a child were:
Jacqueline Wilson books. I’ve recently bought a box set of hers second hand so I can read them again!

My favourite books as a teenager were:
Anything by Jane Green. I’d just started reading older books and every time I went to visit my Dad and stepmum, I used to read one of her books whilst I was there.

Last One at the Party by Bethany Clift. Read it this year and really loved it.

Happy reading everyone! Will catch up some more here tonight 📚🐛

• Heart
Hello my name is francaisespagnol!🇫🇷 🇪🇸

I plan to read...... during the readathon: I'm aiming to finish Girl, Woman, Other (it's a slog!), and this cool architecture book that I've been reading for ages.

The last book I read was The Seven Day Switch (nice concept, if predictable).

My favourite book as a child was... BURGLAR BILL.

My favourite book as a teenager was..... Anna and the French Kiss (yes, I loved it because it was a girl with my name literally living my romantic sad-girl dreams).

My favourite book now is... Tough one! Possibly Sunshine Warm Sober

Looking forward to doing more reading!!! (I also graduate today though so no pressure on me lol)

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Hello my name is.... Laurenia 👋🏼

I plan to read...... during the readathon I have a few chapters of You Again by Nick Spalding to finish then I will be moving onto Billy Summers by Stephen King

The last book I read was... The House in the Cerulean Sea by T J Klune

My favourite book as a child was.... When I was teeny I loved Hairy McClairy from Donaldsons Dairy, and a bit older would have to be the Harry Potter series

My favourite book as a teenager was..... To Kill a Mockingbird

My favourite book now is..... Where The Crawdads Sing

• Heart
Hello!

My name is GoofyPrincess 👋

I plan to read during the marathon…… Black Heart by Anna-Lou Weatherely.

The last book I read was…….The Secret by K.L Slater.

My favourite book as a child was…….The Mallory Towers series.

Mr favourite book as a teenager was…… early teenage (or maybe late child) years I loved When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr. Later teenage years I then got into detective/crime type books reading James Patterson, Michael Connelly, can’t remember favourite specific books.

Mr favourite book now (well this year) is……. The Guest List.

I might struggle to keep up to date as for a few things on this weekend and am working Monday but will try. Happy Reading 😃