Body Image - Do you struggle or are you very accepting?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I feel OK about it. Not happy nor sad. I've been slowly putting on weight over the last few years (is this just getting older?) It doesn't seem to shift regardless but then perhaps I'm not putting the effort in as I'm not THAT fussed.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I feel good. I am no supermodel, but I grew up with parents who were very body confident. Not “ooooh look at me” confident, not gym goers, but just confident. I have no issue with my bod.

I have no memories of my mum complaining about her weight, or talking about “treats” or “naughty food”. Both were, and still are, happy to wander about upstairs naked. (Imagine that as a teenager) 🤮. No treat cupboards, no secret eating, no “oh don’t eat that or you’ll be fat” comments. Nothing. No “does my bum look big in this?” Questions.
For me, I am 100% confident that my attitude to my bod comes from my upbringing.

My husband’s family are polar opposite. So many comments about “should you be eating that?” “Ooooh so and so has stacked on the weight”, “look at your big belly”. They’ve all struggled with their weight and all have a poor relationship with food.
I love the body positive parenting, a friend of mine has parents like that and she has had rarely any major negative body image thoughts, the usual oh I’ve maybe gained a bit but no big deal type attitude whereas I have a panic and curse every bit of bread I’ve eaten!

Can definitely start at home, I’ve always said it’s something I’ll do when I have kids, I don’t want to talk about myself or my body negatively.

My ex’s family were the same, I was really slim and his mum who was an on off slimming worlder told me to try the diet. I was just over 10 stone and was 5ft 8! I didn’t need to lose a pound but she would project her feelings onto you. So damaging.

Reactions: 3
I love the body positive parenting, a friend of mine has parents like that and she has had rarely any major negative body image thoughts, the usual oh I’ve maybe gained a bit but no big deal type attitude whereas I have a panic and curse every bit of bread I’ve eaten!

Can definitely start at home, I’ve always said it’s something I’ll do when I have kids, I don’t want to talk about myself or my body negatively.

My ex’s family were the same, I was really slim and his mum who was an on off slimming worlder told me to try the diet. I was just over 10 stone and was 5ft 8! I didn’t need to lose a pound but she would project her feelings onto you. So damaging.
Hugely damaging. I haven’t felt the need to not talk about my body in a negative way in front of the kids, because its not really on my radar. BUT if my FIL does, I’m on him like a bleeping Rottweiler. He may have screwed his own kids up, but he’s not doing it to mine.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Not great. Been less active over lockdown and just feel so sluggish. I used to be the person who went to the gym five times a week and ate chicken salads. Started going to the gym again though and moving more so hopefully I will start to feel better in myself again soon.

Not great. Been less active over lockdown and just feel so sluggish. I used to be the person who went to the gym five times a week and ate chicken salads. Started going to the gym again though and moving more so hopefully I will start to feel better in myself again soon.
You’ve got this! Lockdown has been challenging it’s something we’ve never experienced before! Definitely hard to handle. ❤

You’ve got this! Lockdown has been challenging it’s something we’ve never experienced before! Definitely hard to handle. ❤
Thank you :). I feel like with lockdown and the gyms closing all my fitness goals went out of the window, and of course we were just outdoors a lot less. Starting to feel like myself now, and trying to eat better because I know it makes me feel better in the long run ❤

• Heart
I’m pretty confident despite being over weight (not massively) and covered in stretch marks from having 2 children.
The one KEY thing I did a couple of years ago was to unfollow ALL influencers and clothing companies on social media. Within weeks I noticed a massive difference in the opinion I had of my body and appearance.
Good for you, I think if more people followed your example it might help them with their issues.

I’ve always struggled with my weight but I’ve come to be a bit more accepting about my size for some reason. My issue is my face and I’m terrible for either putting myself completely under the microscope or being terrified to look in the mirror. Hate my thin lips, forehead, skin etc...I try to be kind to myself but where my face is concerned I find it really hard 😩

I’ve always struggled with my weight but I’ve come to be a bit more accepting about my size for some reason. My issue is my face and I’m terrible for either putting myself completely under the microscope or being terrified to look in the mirror. Hate my thin lips, forehead, skin etc...I try to be kind to myself but where my face is concerned I find it really hard 😩
Your face is what makes you, you! I feel I always compare too especially to overfilled lips you see everywhere so easy to start comparing but if you looked the same as everyone else life would be so boring!

Oh I may feel okay with clothes on, but I do get Botox and a little bit of lip filler. That doesn’t count 🤣

I’m terrible with my body confidence. I always feel fat and don’t get me started on my face. Whenever I look in the mirror I just find something wrong all of the time.
Iv had a lot of cosmetic surgery and up until lock down regular Botox and fillers. Iv been trying to stay off those but the urge is creeping back.
I think mine started when a guy I was in love with didn’t want me, he just strung me along and I felt like there was something wrong with me physically. After that period of time in my life I then met my now partner who made me feel a lot better about myself, to only have it kicked back down by his ex gf (who is South American and absolutely drop dead gorgeous- think of Miss Venezuela type) who stalked my social media and started to bully me and send nasty things about my appearance, literally picking apart all the hard work I’d done in trying to build my body confidence up.
Iv even had counselling for it. But I still pick out things I hate about myself. At the moment I’m fixated on cellulite and im trying everything I can to get rid of it, next month it will be something else and the cycle goes on......
Sometimes I just feel tortured by my mind and how I view myself.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I have diagnosed body dysmorphic disorder. Probably became worse when I lost weight as the image in my head didn't match the mirror. Lockdown I've gained weight and I'm struggling ALOT with that (even though I couldn't see I was slim when I was slim...photos I look back on and feel sad) it is quite exhausting to obsess at my body and hate it :(

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I’m 5’7” and a size 6 so deep down I know I look ok but I still struggle massively.

Got to my highest weight just before lockdown and lost over a stone during lockdown. Put 2lbs of it back on now and feel disgusting because of it but I don’t know why it really matters 🙄

I struggle with body confidence and the way I look but slowly becoming more accepting of it.

When I hit puberty in my teens I piled on the weight and was a size 14, then when I went to uni and met my boyfriend, I went on the pill and weirdly it all dropped off me over a couple of years. I still have huge issues with my legs - I did a lot of horse riding when I was younger and as a result have large thighs and chunky calves so I hate getting them out!

I’m now a healthy size 8/10, exercise regularly and try to take good care of my appearance (skincare etc). I’ve recently started training with a PT and lifting weights, I’ve learned so much and it’s really helping me feel better about myself, aside from being obsessed with the scales and beating myself up when I have a ‘fat day’ 😞 following body confidence people on Instagram helps too.

I think for the first time ever, I’m really accepting my body image. I suffered with anorexia for about 10 years but didn’t really realise it until I look back at photos. My brain has somehow blocked out the earlier years which were particularly bad, I have very little recollection of my teenage years which is weird.
I’m currently pregnant which I never dreamt would happen because I thought I had caused irreversible damage to my body and since becoming pregnant I’ve fallen in love with my body, as silly as it sounds! I compared a photo of me from 3 years ago in a bikini to a photo I took the other day of me with my bump and I honestly couldn’t believe it. I looked dead behind the eyes, I was so miserable but just wouldn’t admit it.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
God I hate my body so much it’s unreal. I was very overweight from 16-21 (around 17stone) and the damage that did to my body is just tit. I’m around 10 stone 8 and yes I look better in clothes etc but the physical effects of being big for a long time (loose skin, parts of my body that just won’t ever look “normal”) it gets me down so much.
Honestly I hate everything about my appearance and I always have. I’ll never accept myself.

Does anyone else feel like it’s controlled their life? There are so many things I missed out on because of hating my appearance. I always wonder what my life would have been like had I never been fat. Idk sorry this is depressing

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
God I hate my body so much it’s unreal. I was very overweight from 16-21 (around 17stone) and the damage that did to my body is just tit. I’m around 10 stone 8 and yes I look better in clothes etc but the physical effects of being big for a long time (loose skin, parts of my body that just won’t ever look “normal”) it gets me down so much.
Honestly I hate everything about my appearance and I always have. I’ll never accept myself.

Does anyone else feel like it’s controlled their life? There are so many things I missed out on because of hating my appearance. I always wonder what my life would have been like had I never been fat. Idk sorry this is depressing
Yes! I refuse to wear no tights or even a bikini! totally controlled my life!

• Sad
I got bullied at school for being very tall and skinny, and pale (though kudos to the kid who came up with my little bony as a name for me, impressive). So when I left school I always covered myself up in the summer. Never showed my legs at all. When I've been on holiday I would as I wouldn't see people I know but I wouldn't go on holidays with other couples we know to places where I'd be expected to wear a swimming costume, or shorts etc. I'd hate the summer and dread it as I'd either be really hot and uncomfortable or feel uncomfortable.

However when lockdown happened, I had nowhere else I could go other then my back garden. I wore shorts constantly as we weren't seeing anyone and I got a tan (a tan for me, probably not by anyone else's standards). I got confident enough to wear shorts out when we could go out more and actually had photos of me with shorts and dresses on. It was so liberating but also so sad knowing how much time I wasted worrying about what others thought. I'm looking forward to next summer 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Overall, I'm okay for body confidence. I like to think I'm really fair and open regarding most situations I put myself in so I try not to be too hard on myself. I'm naturally skinny and try as I may, I cannot put on weight. All my life I have gone through the usual "youre so thin" "how do you stay so skinny" "come to mine and my mum will put some meat on your bones" - At one point, I'm sure one of my bigger friends started calling me bones at school. I didnt call her any names based on her weight so not sure why her name was okay but its always stuck with me even almost 7 years later.

Everyone always said to me, when I pass 22 y/o, thats when I'll start gaining weight just from breathing bc my metabolism will catch up on me but I'm 24 now and still struggle so much. At one point, I was eating 2700 calories a day but feeling so lethargic and sick because of it and did see some weight gain but it made me so groggy and feel terrible mentally that it wasn't worth it. I do have small insecurities like I hate how bony/skinny my arms are and never wear anything thats sleeveless, even cap sleeves are a no-go. I don't mind my legs as I'm quite tall but I would prefer bigger thighs and an actual ass would be nice! But I don't usually dwell on these things as I cant change them much without changing my entire lifestyle and its just too much atm especially as I'm terrible in the kitchen too 🤣 I like to think the way I dress compliments my body.

This time 5 years ago I was a size 8-10 I had abs, not really much of an arse. I went the gym about 3 times a week and was on my feet all day for the majority of my job, so could afford to have the odd takeaway.

Year later I changed to a desk job and my mental health was at an all time low with anxiety & depression. Could never get out of bed, getting taxies everywhere and eating awful I’ve been a size 10 ever since but my waistline is starting to flirt with size 12 (I have an arse but I’ve lost my abs now 😂) I’ve forced myself back into the gym a couple of times but I’ve not been able to stick at it.

During that time of the month healthy eating goes out the window and then I end up back at square one. I purposely don’t have treats in the house during the week because I know I’ll just eat the lot 😂

Had Covid in March and went down to 9 stone 7 but obviously put that stone back on during lockdown.

Size 10 is still healthy but I’m only 5ft and it’s not toned anymore and I’m now the heaviest I’ve ever been and I feel like I resemble a barrel because I’m so short. My BMI shows me as overweight 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’ve always hated the way my legs look but my boyfriend absolutely loves them.

Past two years been eating really healthy but still can’t seem to cut out the takeaways!
Been WFH during the pandemic so I’ve been dressing really comfy because I’ve not had to leave the house much, went back to the gym in July (England) and now they’ve all closed again when I was starting to get back into the swing of things. (Liverpool - Very High Tier)

I’ve decided to buy some equipment to have at home and download couch to 5k (stamina has always been my weakest link when it comes to fitness) maybe do a workout every morning to get the blood flowing and then get my steps in once I finish work for the day.