Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Yel

Chatty Member
This video is saying it's all about getting a cut of the Disney + monthly membership (and she is getting a wedge of the $30 per rent view) because the movie drove subs. If F9 performed about the same at the cinema and wasn't available to stream it does seem difficult to say it underperformed in the cinema in the new covid world.

It is a very fascinating case with lots to consider beyond the headlines that simplify it. The most interesting legal case in entertainment.

Hopefully it does go to court and all the private Disney numbers get out there.

This comment kinda sums up my thoughts:

People seem to be mindlessly jumping on the 'evil Disney' bandwagon and backing Scarlett. Yes, Disney is a highly questionable corporation but Scarlett Johansson is also far from a beacon of moral virtue. The one thing Disney and Scarlett have in common is their cut-throat attitude aimed towards earning as much money as possible. Let's not forget Scarlett Johansson chose to support Israeli Apartheid over Oxfam, has said she deserves to play any race she wants to, stood up for Woody Allen (bizarrely whilst also supporting the Women's March). I'm not rooting for her, at all.

Reactions: 2

Tublet83

VIP Member
Currently in isolation so I've paid for it on Disney+ šŸ™ˆšŸ¤£ about half way through. Personally finding it a bit meh at the moment. I've always found her character the hardest to gel with though, I wasn't fussed when she died šŸ™ˆ
I think itā€™s definitely a film thatā€™s better to see at the cinema!

Florence Pugh šŸ™Œ

Reactions: 1

Apple In My Pie

VIP Member
I havenā€™t seen it yet, Iā€™m not sure if I will. Got really into marvel in 2016/2017 basically just as everyoneā€™s stories were wrapping upā€¦ I donā€™t know what it is, but Iā€˜ve lost all enthusiasm for BW. I feel like had they chosen to show BWā€™s story before her death where that hype was really high I would have enjoyed it more. But now, sheā€™s gone, and as a result it sort of feels likeā€¦ meh, knowing how her story ends and that they canā€™t do much more with her character maybe?

I also find Hawkeye soooooooo dullā€¦

Mark81

VIP Member
Thing is, if she was due some sort of box office share then I don't see how if it had been released in cinemas only she would have been better off. Many are closed worldwide and many people are still staying home. They made 60million streaming, which when you factor that's pure profit for disney with no cinema fees its actually worth more.

I've read conflicting reports and as mentioned no one knows ins and outs of the contract, but I'd say streaming saved the film financially. Should she be entitled to a share of the streaming money? Maybe, but not sure she's owed 50million of it.

BonBon27

VIP Member
Saw it yesterday at the cinema, I enjoyed it. I would say I like Marvel but I donā€™t take it too seriously so didnā€™t have the issues some die hard fans have! šŸ¤£ I love David Harbor in Stranger Things, his character carries the whole thing for me!, so I was pleased to see him in it. Florence Pugh was brilliant.

I did say to hubby during the credits that itā€™s a bit silly to bring this out now, surely BW would have told the other avengers about these adventures?!?And as far as we know sheā€™s gone, so pointless now. But I think itā€™s set up Florence and the Hawkeye film/series well. Like I say I enjoyed it.

daria32

My son is 10 and has loved all the Marvel films so far. Can I ask, would you say itā€™s suitable for a 10 year old? Thank you

Tublet83

VIP Member
Ah shame, it was probably always going to end like this. But a public cash battle would have been interesting.

The whole marvel universe I'm barely interested in these days, watching black widow was another reminder to not bother in the future.
Given the industry and other marvel stars sided with Scarlett Disney just werenā€™t going to let that happen šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

I did read that Disney are now rewriting contracts on the back of this!

Yel

Chatty Member
Ah shame, it was probably always going to end like this. But a public cash battle would have been interesting.

The whole marvel universe I'm barely interested in these days, watching black widow was another reminder to not bother in the future.

Yel

Chatty Member
If her contract stated that the movie was to be released in theatres before streaming, and it wasn't honoured, then she has a case. She apparently went back to Disney and offered to renegotiate and they blanked her, which is why she's had to go legal. WB has had to renegotiate all their deals with talent for the same reason, the difference being that they are voluntarily (albeit after some pushing!) paying out.

Disney look far worse here. It's a business deal. Turning it into a personal attack and attaching morals to it is bizarre and unprofessional.
We just don't know the intricacies of it all and the clauses in the contracr, we sadly probably won't as they'll settle.

I find it hard to root for either side to be honest and I don't think it's purely one side is bad.

Disney trying to get out of paying a bonus and an overpaid rich actor and her team looking to get what they expected pre-covid. You do a deal with Disney and you know the devil you're dealing with.

Have to admit I'm not a huge fan of SJ after things like the Woody Allen defending and sodastream ads. It would be very difficult to ascertain how many people viewed it on Disney+ that would have otherwise gone to the cinema.

DiorsDreamer

Canā€™t lie Florence Pugh stole the movie for me, maybe it was intentional cause she will now be in future MCU things but she was incredible.

• Heart

Guitarwarrior

VIP Member
Should Disney honour the contract ? Yes legally it absolutely should be. Disney shouldnā€™t get away with not ensuring sheā€™s had her fair share.

However Iā€™ve little sympathy for a multimillionaire whoā€™s already netted an alleged $75million from marvel movies alone and a net worth of $165mil complaining about lost earnings.When thereā€™s thousands globally whoā€™ve lost their entire livelihood because of the pandemic

I just find it in very very poor taste when thereā€™s likely crew members sheā€™s worked with who went months without work not knowing when theyā€™d work in the industry again.This is why i think it should never have been made public until it had been resolved.

I can see this potentially backfiring against her with members of the public. The last 18 months have changed a lot of peoples outlook and put things in perspective.Non marvel/Disney fans might not see her in a good light anymore and opt out of seeing her in other movies.

Yel

Chatty Member
Disney has come out swinging, calling her 'callous' and playing the covid card. Callous for wanting her contract to be honoured? Reeks of sexism to me. They'd never openly insult the likes of RDJ or Hemsworth if they went legal.
But the problem is not that her contract wasn't honnored. But that in the post covid world it didn't anticipate that it would be released to streaming meaning her contract isnt as lucrative as anticipated.

I think they'd insult anyone who was unlikely to ever have another film with them again.

The base deal was 15million apparently before any of the bonuses and if no one streamed or watched it would still get that.

All depends on how the contract is worded. But she'll need to donate the winnings to feeding America or something to come out of this looking good.

Yel

Chatty Member
Given the industry and other marvel stars sided with Scarlett
Did they? I only followed this story for a few weeks and it was notable that very few came out in support of her, I think Elizabeth Moss said a few words of support in an interview.

End of the day I'll never know the full details of what happened so can't really support either side based on facts.

Tublet83

VIP Member
I would imagine she held back from doing anything because she didnā€™t want the film to be released negatively, and affect its performance etc.

She did very little press though and didnā€™t turn up to the premieres. Iā€™ve read sheā€™s pregnant though?

Tbh if it wasnā€™t her it would be someone else who would make this claim, and studios surely must have been expecting it.

Yel

Chatty Member
If Disney mislead or if there wasn't a clause that covers covid changes she might win this. But either way she won't win over the public with the $50 million figure unless there's some very good pr! It's kinda unbelievable how someone can earn so much for playing dress up šŸ˜†

Hilopicklelo

VIP Member
Based on the post credit scene, is there a chance Yelena is going to either appear in Hawkeye or will become "black Widow"?!

Lollypad

VIP Member
I was looking forward to BW and was massively disappointed. It was funny in parts, but I think it was trying too hard to be funny. I also don't understand the timing:
It's set in between Civil War and Infinity War right? So there was no peril whatsoever because you know Nat is in the rest of the films. I didn't really understand why we couldn't have had this filmed and released ACTUALLY between the two films? It being set in the past added nothing either - with Captain Marvel you had loads of fun easter eggs, like how Fury lost his eye etc, but I really didn't think it added anything. Would have been more interested in seeing the actual Budapest mission with her and Clint.