Binge eating disorder

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know what you mean about cold turkey ! It does help but I find after a few weeks I slip back slowly without even realising it . Then will try and pull myself out of it again!
Yes, I know what you mean, I’ve done that a few times. I just have to give myself a word to and say, if you eat that it’ll make you feel worse so what’s the point.

Reactions: 2
I'm following this thread as I have struggled with binge eating throughout my early twenties, especially as a student, using takeaway and junk food to deal with my feelings.
I am conscious that this is a bad habit, however during lockdown, I have simply lost the motivation to even try and control my binges. I have moved back with family at the moment, and when I do a food shop I will pick up specific binge foods to snack on later, I will then put all evidence wrappers etc in a bag and take it out to a public bin so all very secretive, not sure if anyone else here does the same?
I'm very overweight at the minute and this is due to my binge eating tendancies, I will have 'good days' of eating and then if I have a sweet thing I will see this as ruined and will binge later on.
I will keep following this thread as I'm interested to hear coping mechanisms, definitely the longer I go without a binge the more likely I am to carry on.
I think during lockdown it has been especially easy to over eat.

I also suffer with this and have done for years.
It can be very mentally draining just thinking about food constantly. It's also not well publicised, almost unheard of I would imagine to others. Its an eating disorder and there is help out there. I found myself feeling utterly awful after binging, not so much ashamed but I would feel so lethargic. I ended up doing a lot of research about calorie deficits etc and I actually haven't binged in 6 weeks now. I feel like I just got to a point where I decided to choose myself rather than choose food. I feel so much better with so much more energy. For me it was a case of, I could either let it consume me and possibly end up killing me one day or I could fight the battle against it.
As for your comment 'he will realise how big I actually am', he is your husband, he sees you every day, he sees what you look like & I'm sure he loves you just the way you are. Reach out to him, you'll feel better.
What you've said about deciding to choose yourself over food, is such a powerful statement and one which has actually really made me feel inspired, thank you ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
Sooo decided today will be the day I actually try and control my bingeing which has been especially bad during lockdown!

I've also realised that it just does not improve my mood, and it leaves me feeling drained and insecure as I've piled on the weight recently

• Heart
Reactions: 6
From a dentist’s perspective it’s better to gorge rather than little and often. The more you feel guilty the more you’ll probably return to that behaviour. Apparently people who are good at avoiding temptation do it by not putting themselves in that situation in the first place. So maybe your way of changing it is to not buy the foods you want to avoid in the first place, rather than having it in the house and creating a situation where you are relying on yourself to moderate the rate you eat it.

Sooo decided today will be the day I actually try and control my bingeing which has been especially bad during lockdown!

I've also realised that it just does not improve my mood, and it leaves me feeling drained and insecure as I've piled on the weight recently
So proud of you!!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Thank you to everyone so far for sharing. I suffered from this from my late teens - early twenties. I’m 27 now and would say my relationship with food is as healthy as it has ever been, but it’s taken a lot of unlearning. My binging started due to restriction, I would restrict calories for the week and then wait until the weekend and I would be completely out of control. I would eat until I felt sick and hide it from everybody. Eventually I actually started binging more than restricting and it started showing on my body. Food became this magical stuff that I wasn’t allowed and it made it all the more enticing, I would literally dream of food and think of it ALL DAY.
I started working on it when my sister went into an ED unit with anorexia and I realised how destructive it all was. I didn’t want my life to be consumed by food and food thoughts and shame! I did it on my own mostly by allowing myself to eat what I wanted whenever I wanted, I would eat a chocolate bar and then say to myself ‘that was nice, you can have another one or have one tomorrow or whenever you want’. I found that just allowing myself to eat what I wanted led to all the magic being removed and eventually I started listening to hunger/fullness signals and began focusing on a gentle nutrition. I did gain weight but it evens out and I learnt to live with it, it’s so so worth it.
I guess I just wanted to say to you all that it’s possible to recover from this and I wish everybody so much luck with it. I know ED support is patchy but it is a recognised disorder and GPs should be able to help. Laura Thomas has some great resources and her podcast ‘don’t salt my game’ really helped me to unlearn the damaging diet bullshit that led to the binging.

• Heart
Reactions: 4