Binge eating disorder

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone else suffer from binge eating disorder? It’s taking over my life, I’m really struggling. I don’t want to talk to my husband about it incase he starts to realise how big I actually am, and will leave me. (He is the least judgemental person, but I have major insecurities).

does anyone have any tips of how to get over it? It’s definitely become harder in lockdown, there’s nothing else to do but eat 😪 even when I don’t have ‘bad’ food at home, I just go to the shop and buy it. Help please!!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
I am pretty bad , try to think as you are about to eat it how it makes you feel after , I find if I can go 2 days without binging it becomes easier. I make a sugar free jelly’s with fruit in. What do you binge on x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I am pretty bad , try to think as you are about to eat it how it makes you feel after , I find if I can go 2 days without binging it becomes easier. I make a sugar free jelly’s with fruit in. What do you binge on x
Literally anything and everything. For example, I made spaghetti Bolognese tonight, half for me half for my husband. He left for work and I was straight back in the kitchen making another portion that could’ve fed a family of 4. If we have any chocolate, I’ll have it all in one sitting, any chips- I’ll have the whole bag... there’s nothing I can’t binge on at this point

Reactions: 4
I am the same , it’s almost like a control thing to try and stop. No one really takes it seriously as being too thin etc. It’s like a battle with your mind !! Drives me mad. But it makes you feel utter crap 💩. So sit down and think how it makes you feel , I find it helps. Then you can get back some control over your eating .

Reactions: 1
Do you find yourself restricting your food earlier in the day, and then overeating in the evening?

Do you find yourself restricting your food earlier in the day, and then overeating in the evening?
Sometimes. I’d say it’s 50/50, either one extreme or the other but I always end up binging at night. Sometimes I’ll binge all day though 😥

I also suffer with this and have done for years.
It can be very mentally draining just thinking about food constantly. It's also not well publicised, almost unheard of I would imagine to others. Its an eating disorder and there is help out there. I found myself feeling utterly awful after binging, not so much ashamed but I would feel so lethargic. I ended up doing a lot of research about calorie deficits etc and I actually haven't binged in 6 weeks now. I feel like I just got to a point where I decided to choose myself rather than choose food. I feel so much better with so much more energy. For me it was a case of, I could either let it consume me and possibly end up killing me one day or I could fight the battle against it.
As for your comment 'he will realise how big I actually am', he is your husband, he sees you every day, he sees what you look like & I'm sure he loves you just the way you are. Reach out to him, you'll feel better.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
To be honest, I think most women binge from time to time. When I want to binge - I ask myself why and then I talk myself off the ledge..

Reactions: 3
I’ve been doing it since I was a preteen. I have major issues with my weight due to demeaning comments from family members and poor mental health. I’ve been up and down like a yo-yo weight wise all of my teenage and adult life. I know I’m an emotional eater, I really have to be in a positive mind frame to stop bingeing but as you say, lockdown has made it so difficult when there is little else to do and so much stress. I’m worse on days where my mood is in the pits, I just gorge on junk and then regret it and feel sickened later and if there’s none I always get some more. I can really sympathise with you as it’s something I wish I could get control over. Just wanted to let you know, you’re not alone. ❤

• Heart
Please talk to your doctor. You don't have to keep doing this alone.

I am under the care of an eating disorder team and therapy is helping a lot. It took a few years to get here as it's harder with BED, but beforehand I saw a private ED therapist who took me as far as she could at the time, and I also gave up dieting and restriction. This resulted in weight gain initially (which is scary) but that evened out pretty quickly, and what it really helped me to do was relax more around food. It's really important to separate ED recovery from weight loss as they don't always go hand in hand.

BED is a multi-faceted disorder and there's (sadly) no easy fix. It's a long road but I'm a few years down the line and so much better than I was. I've spent a long time analysing my relationship with food, including eating habits in childhood and the way my family approached food/eating when I was younger. In ED therapy we learn to do something called "urge surfing" which is where you analyse your urge to eat and try to separate the components, understanding without acting. I am working on this at present. After years of dieting and analysing everything that goes into my mouth, focusing on food in any way is hard for me. But disconnection is not the answer, as we all need food to survive.

My partner knows and is really supportive. I didn't expect him to be--I thought he'd be disgusted--and I'm still getting used to being able to talk about it.

Please don't feel like this is your fault. Somewhere along the line, you picked up food as a coping mechanism for managing emotions, because it is what was available to you at the time. It will take time to dismantle this but it can be done.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I tend to bing when I get in from work because I’m so hungry. I’ll have soup for my lunch and snack on fruit and low cal things like popcorn. But If I go to the supermarket on the way home, I’ll buy chocolate biscuits or cookies and stuff myself. I’m probably not eating enough at work, but I’m sat at a desk all day, I try and watch what I eat, but then ruin it with bingeing.

I can relate so much... I’ve always used food as a comfort and lockdown has been particularly bad in terms of binge eating as it’s a mixture of stress and boredom. I used to always do our weekly food shop and would buy extra sweets/chocolate etc and stuff them into my handbag/pockets etc once I’d paid so that my husband wouldn’t see them. I’d pay for them separately so they wouldn’t be on the receipt. Then I’d binge eat while my husband was in another room... I’m so ashamed of myself as I’ve never told anyone this and it seems so ridiculous when I read this back!

A few weeks ago, my husband and I talked about eating healthier as we’d love to start a family so I’m using this as motivation to stick to a healthy diet and stop snacking. I feel like going cold turkey is the only way I can overcome this. I had a chat with my husband and although I didn’t tell him about binge/secret eating, I have asked him to do the weekly food shop so I don’t give into temptation. we started this 2 weeks ago and I haven't binged at all in that time. Hoping this continues!

I would definitely reach out to your husband... he loves you and will be super supportive xx

• Heart
I can relate so much... I’ve always used food as a comfort and lockdown has been particularly bad in terms of binge eating as it’s a mixture of stress and boredom. I used to always do our weekly food shop and would buy extra sweets/chocolate etc and stuff them into my handbag/pockets etc once I’d paid so that my husband wouldn’t see them. I’d pay for them separately so they wouldn’t be on the receipt. Then I’d binge eat while my husband was in another room... I’m so ashamed of myself as I’ve never told anyone this and it seems so ridiculous when I read this back!

A few weeks ago, my husband and I talked about eating healthier as we’d love to start a family so I’m using this as motivation to stick to a healthy diet and stop snacking. I feel like going cold turkey is the only way I can overcome this. I had a chat with my husband and although I didn’t tell him about binge/secret eating, I have asked him to do the weekly food shop so I don’t give into temptation. we started this 2 weeks ago and I haven't binged at all in that time. Hoping this continues!

I would definitely reach out to your husband... he loves you and will be super supportive xx
Please don’t ever feel ashamed of yourself, you’re not a bad person because you’ve wanted to comfort yourself. I hope you enjoy making more healthy choices, take each day as it comes and be kind to yourself x

• Heart
I can relate to this thread so much. I've always used food as a comfort.

I found for myself my binges are worse when I am super restrictive and don't allow myself to have what it is I am wanting or craving. I know this method doesn't work for everyone, but for me it's easier to just have a small portion of something rather then nothing and then later on eating until I am physically sick.

• Heart
I can relate to this thread so much. I've always used food as a comfort.

I found for myself my binges are worse when I am super restrictive and don't allow myself to have what it is I am wanting or craving. I know this method doesn't work for everyone, but for me it's easier to just have a small portion of something rather then nothing and then later on eating until I am physically sick.
This is the hardest thing to try and be able to do. To allow yourself something like chocolate and enjoy it and then not let this lead to bingeing because you feel like you’ve failed. I think we make the mistake of splitting foods into good and bad. We need to have a relationship with food that allows us to enjoy all types of food and then not lead us to binging because we feel stressed because we’ve eaten something ‘bad’ like chocolates etc....hope this makes sense!

This is the hardest thing to try and be able to do. To allow yourself something like chocolate and enjoy it and then not let this lead to bingeing because you feel like you’ve failed. I think we make the mistake of splitting foods into good and bad. We need to have a relationship with food that allows us to enjoy all types of food and then not lead us to binging because we feel stressed because we’ve eaten something ‘bad’ like chocolates etc....hope this makes sense!
Yes I totally agree about the relationship with food, it's something I have been working on myself for the past 2 years. And this is what I find works for me and I know it doesn't work for everyone. I don't think there is a cookie cutter thing that works for everyone, just like weight loss. And what you said totally makes sense 😊

You are not alone, I'm struggling too after having my baby before lockdown and trying to go back to Slimming World, and coming to the realisation that SW actually fuels my ED.I quit SW and have read this book and am slowly trying to implement it.Perhaps give it a read (I listened on Audible- good option if you don't want to be seen reading it).She also has a new book out more workbook style.Could be worth a look.Sending love.xx

Attachments

I have always had an unhealthy relationship with food, I tend to comfort eat when I am trying to deal with problems. One of my worst habits is to snack in the early hours of the morning. I can barely stand to look at myself in the mirror these days, my reflection does not please me at all - I am being tactful of course.
I just wish I could find a more constructive way to deal with stress and anxiety.

• Heart
I have this and for me the only way I can conquer it is going cold turkey. I’ve been shocking with it since lockdown as there’s nothing to do so I just eat. I’ll order a takeaway I don’t want just for something to do. Then I’ll eat it all and hate myself afterwards. I’ve decided to go cold turkey again with lent starting, hoping it works as it has done in the past.

I wouldn’t worry too much as I think lockdown is getting to us all in one way or another. As others have said, your husband loves you and will be supportive 💕

I have this and for me the only way I can conquer it is going cold turkey. I’ve been shocking with it since lockdown as there’s nothing to do so I just eat. I’ll order a takeaway I don’t want just for something to do. Then I’ll eat it all and hate myself afterwards. I’ve decided to go cold turkey again with lent starting, hoping it works as it has done in the past.

I wouldn’t worry too much as I think lockdown is getting to us all in one way or another. As others have said, your husband loves you and will be supportive 💕
I know what you mean about cold turkey ! It does help but I find after a few weeks I slip back slowly without even realising it . Then will try and pull myself out of it again!