BBC Radio

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Roxy Music guitarist Phil Mazanera was a great guest as Listed Londoner on Robert Elms BBC RL show today, so charming and unassuming. BBC Sounds from 2:11:10.

With Phil talking about his early life in Columbia, Venezuela and Cuba I was primed for Bob to let it be known that he speaks Spanish, and was not disappointed. Then, when Phil said he is not a fan of the exterior of the National Theatre, it was only a matter of time until Bob - yet again - mentioned that he lives in the Barbican. 😂
He does mention those two things a lot! The PM interview sounds worth a listen though, thanks for the tip.

Reactions: 1
On her BBC Radio London show yesterday Jo Good featured 'contributor' Glenn Lyons from Philip Kingsley trichologists, as a guest taking calls. Quelle surprise that a man who sells expensive shampoos recommended, more than once, to wash your hair everyday. He also recommended one of his specific products to a caller.

How does this company (reps from PK have appeared on the show many times before) wangle a spruiking post on the BBC? The same company uses all the usual suspect influencers, including Jo's cheerleader Nadine Baggott, who has set up various partnership for Jo in the past. Is it resonable to wonder if the company has come to an arrangement with Jo Good? She promotes many products, beauty and otherwise, on her monetised Instagram and YouTube platforms (@middleagedminx). Will we be seeing her singing the praises of the hair treatments on a future vlog, giving a sad-face performance about the state of her hair, to then go on to gush about the products - all the while denying it's an ad but thanking them for the 'gifted' hair treatment hamper?

Does Carrie Grant want Jo Good's late night show slot?

Carrie Grant was in for Jo Good last night on BBC Radio London, Discussed a news story about the effects of working night shift. She mentioned that nurses usually start early evening, acknowledging that "it's a long old night", "...12 hours". Carrie said she takes a little nap at 6 o'clock before she does Jo's show, saying "I don't know what Jo does". Carrie later said when she first sat in for Jo it knocked her out the first night, but she quickly got used to it, saying "Mind you, one o'clock is hardly *nights*" and she felt "this is OK... I could get used to this".

Hmm, a bit of shade at Jo? Angling for the slot that Jo Good makes clear she hates? I don't blame Carrie, probably fed up with Jo always whining about exisiting on four hours sleep becuase of her hours. Carrie's a grafter, you won't hear her complaining despite being busy away from BBC RL, with a successful showbiz career, her charity commitments and family obligations.

Jo Good constantly moans about her 15 hour-per-week gig but manages to schedule her extra-curricular activities; the odd day's filming gig, continuously vlogging her huge head for monetised YouTube channel, pestering sales staff in Marlyebone boutiques, going to lunch, getting manicures, dragging her untrained dog up the street and attending any freebie event or show in the West End.

Radio2-
Gary Davies' Sounds of The 80's is moving from a Friday night to a Saturday night.
Tony Blackburn's Golden Hour is moving from a Friday night to a Sunday night.
These 2 shows will be replaced by Michelle Visage on a Friday night :rolleyes:
Johnnie Walker's Rock Show moves from a Saturday night to a Friday night at 11pm.
All from next week
Michelle Visage?! So she can repeat endlessly how 'British' she is 🤦‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I've recently started to listen to Allen Beswick and his late night phone in on BBC Radio Manchester, his bluntness is funny sometimes, and the people that call in, my god LOL. Anyone else listen to him?

I've recently started to listen to Allen Beswick and his late night phone in on BBC Radio Manchester, his bluntness is funny sometimes, and the people that call in, my god LOL. Anyone else listen to him?
Haven't heard him, but I'm not in Manchester area, I would maybe give him a try though.
Thanks
Another recommendation -
There is a brilliant smartphone app called "Radio Garden" which lets you tune into any station in the world, just by tapping somewhere on the earth screen.
(I should find Mr Beswick on there) 😁

I'm loving Vanessa Feltz sitting in for Jeremy Vine this week. Feel like she's wasted on the 4am slot.

I've just seen this on another thread...

First they came for Wright...now Feltz.
Friday nights have become unlistenable for me, Michelle Visage, followed by some guy Spoony :cautious:

First they came for Wright...now Feltz.
Friday nights have become unlistenable for me, Michelle Visage, followed by some guy Spoony :cautious:
I don't think she's been chucked, I think she resigned of her own accord, she's been doing lots on TalkTV.

ETA. I don't know why I think V leaving is her own choice. Hearing her sound so sad now on BBC RL when announcing her departure maybe she was pushed - although she would be sad either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
I had a bit of a rant about Hayley Hassle never being on when she is meant to be overnight on Five Live and now I have learnt that she is going to be replaced. I did feel that Hayley through no fault of her own was very out of her depth with some of the poor lost souls who rang in for the mental health phone ins. I hope these will be handled better with the new person ( if they remain a feature).

I just tried tuning into to my weekend nightly show of Allan on BBC Radio Manchester but now I can't since I live outside the UK, I can no longer use my bbc sounds app, gutted 😔

• Sad
I just tried tuning into to my weekend nightly show of Allan on BBC Radio Manchester but now I can't since I live outside the UK, I can no longer use my bbc sounds app, gutted 😔
Overseas listeners of BBC Radio London have been complaining recently that they can't tune in and were told it was due to the BBC currently broadcasting the Commomwealth Games; same happened during the Olympics. Perhaps message BBC RM and ask.

David Grant is sitting in on BBC Radio London for Robert Elms. Ex -regular caller Wayne from Buckhurst Hill has been allowed on, not heard him for ages. Banned presumably after he had a go at Jo Good in her Insta comments about her love of freebies and also at RE on Insta, can't remember what Wayne said but Bobby from the Barbican's reply was quite sharp.

BTW Robert's book - that he has been seeking crowdfunding for - has reached its target so will therefore now be published. It took a while to get there after the initial burst of £££ contributions while he was brazenly promoting it on his BBC RL shows.

Download an app called Radio Garden, you can tune into any radio station on the planet.

Download an app called Radio Garden, you can tune into any radio station on the planet.
I just downloaded this app hoping it'd work but sadly I get the same repeating message as, tunein, bbc sounds and the direct website which says something to the effect of, this channel cannot be broadcast right now, this could be due contractual reasons or a technical fault. Please try again later.

Seems its all bbc stations no other station has this issue. 3

What VeeJayBee says, seems fitting. I'll message then anyhow.

• Sad
Have they announced who is replacing Vanessa yet? Owain wyn evans is sitting in next week I’ve just checked on the sounds app. I hope it’s not him permanently.

• Wow
I just downloaded this app hoping it'd work but sadly I get the same repeating message as, tunein, bbc sounds and the direct website which says something to the effect of, this channel cannot be broadcast right now, this could be due contractual reasons or a technical fault. Please try again later.

Seems its all bbc stations no other station has this issue. 3

What VeeJayBee says, seems fitting. I'll message then anyhow.
BBC must block their output, for copyright purposes, you could try a VPN, set it to UK.
I know that people use VPN's to watch their football team's live streams which are not supposed to be watched live in the UK, so they use a VPN set to a foreign country.
Not sure if it would work with radio, don't see why not though.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.