BBC Radio

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Having all but given up on BBC Radio London, I've been listening to Iain Lee's new breakfast show on Jack FM, there's music and callers. I've listened to him over the years, when he's on form he's a fun listen. I don't live in Oxfordshire but I'm finding the travel reports and ads for local companies strangely comforting.

Reactions: 1
I still listen to Vanessa and Eddie or Robert when I'm working from home, but in the afternoons it's 6 Music, podcasts or audiobooks. I used to have BBC London on 0700-1800 on weekdays fairly regularly before the schedule change.

Edited to tidy up a bit of grammar

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I’ve had a feeling Scott mills would be a permanent on R2 for a while but I’m shocked he’s replacing Steve Wright. I thought Vernon kay might, I think he’s great when he covers shows
I can’t listen to Zoe Ball on a morning but I like it when Vernon covers for her! So much better.

Reactions: 5
I still listen to Vanessa and Eddie or Robert when I'm working from home, but in the afternoons it's 6 Music, podcasts or audiobooks. I used to have BBC London on 0700-1800 on weekdays fairly regularly before the schedule change.
One of my radios is still on BBC RL as a default when switched on so if I catch a topic that interests me on Vanessa's show I'll listen but I tend to turn off, especially if I hear one of the repeating annoying songs. I go in to the office more now so I'm not too fussed.

Lockdown and two years of full-time WFH had me paying much more attention to what/why I listened to the radio; in the past I'd listen to whatever/whenever without thinking too much about it, and had certainly never commented about it online. I liked Robert Elms on a rare weekday off at home pre-Covid. I *used to* enjoy Jo Good's show until I started listening regularly while WFH and came to realise how self-obessessed she was, exacerbated by her increasing commerical social media activity. I used to listen to Iain Lee but can't now even remember what station he was on, although I do remember I stopped listening when he sounded as if he was becoming very unhinged, it made me anxious.

Reactions: 3
Lockdown and two years of full-time WFH had me paying much more attention to what/why I listened to the radio; in the past I'd listen to whatever/whenever without thinking too much about it, and had certainly never commented about it online. I liked Robert Elms on a rare weekday off at home pre-Covid. I *used to* enjoy Jo Good's show until I started listening regularly while WFH and came to realise how self-obessessed she was, exacerbated by her increasing commerical social media activity.
Yes, pretty much the same for me. Radio has always been an important part of my life, but it became more so during lockdown. Then there was just an awful lot of extra time to examine what was being broadcast. Some of it was really very good, and important during that time, and some of it wasn't.

I’m pretty much radio 6 all the time these days, although the BBC are doing their best to ruin that station too.
I enjoy a smattering of radio 2 and 4 mixed in, depending on my mood / time of day.
I’m in the north east and Radio Newcastle is good for local information, but I rarely listen. I don’t rate any of the presenters.

Reactions: 2
Radio2-
Gary Davies' Sounds of The 80's is moving from a Friday night to a Saturday night.
Tony Blackburn's Golden Hour is moving from a Friday night to a Sunday night.
These 2 shows will be replaced by Michelle Visage on a Friday night :rolleyes:
Johnnie Walker's Rock Show moves from a Saturday night to a Friday night at 11pm.
All from next week

• Sad
  • Wow
BBC Radio 1.

What's the deal with Jordan North and Vick Hope? They don't seem to be able to present together anymore? It's always one of them with a stand in. There are only so many holidays you can have and other radio duos don't have as much time away from one another tas they do. Have they had a falling out?

I've always thought they have a weird dynamic, initially playing in the fact Jordan was secretly in love with her. I much prefer Jordan presenting by himself as Vick is better suited to TV I think.

Anyway, what's the goss?!

The bluetooth speaker being promoted to the main prize on PopMaster is a bit underwhelming, the bbc must have a job lot of them.
Think I'd rather win a digital radio.

• Haha
I realise people on here don't really listen to the BBC overnight, but I don't live in London so can't comment on the daytime... Anyway I want to another rant! I have never known anyone employ someone for a job that is never there.. Hayley Hassle is meant to be on at a weekend overnight but for the past few months has hardly ever been there! I appreciate it is not her only job, but surely they went in to the ins and outs of whether the schedule would fit her when they hired her. They took Jim Davis off for someone who is never there! Also Dotan could get on with listening to him if: He didn't say the telephone number every 2 seconds.. He didn't sing.. He didn't quote Shakespeare when the caller was on about a totally different subject just to show how clever he is. I have to keep turning him off nowadays which is a shame.

I realise people on here don't really listen to the BBC overnight, but I don't live in London so can't comment on the daytime... Anyway I want to another rant! I have never known anyone employ someone for a job that is never there.. Hayley Hassle is meant to be on at a weekend overnight but for the past few months has hardly ever been there! I appreciate it is not her only job, but surely they went in to the ins and outs of whether the schedule would fit her when they hired her. They took Jim Davis off for someone who is never there! Also Dotan could get on with listening to him if: He didn't say the telephone number every 2 seconds.. He didn't sing.. He didn't quote Shakespeare when the caller was on about a totally different subject just to show how clever he is. I have to keep turning him off nowadays which is a shame.
I stopped tuning into bbc 5live long ago, Dotun became unlistenable through the night.
He just mumbles and waffles on, there was no structure to the show at times.

Reactions: 6
I stopped tuning into bbc 5live long ago, Dotun became unlistenable through the night.
He just mumbles and waffles on, there was no structure to the show at times.
Definitely mumbles and waffles. He asks about 6 different topics all at once so just becomes a muddle like you say. Then recaps on the 6 topics about every half an hour which then takes about 10 minutes. It works better when it's the football phone in or the virtual juke box. I am really going for it today (must be the heat!) but another thing I hate is he will make a comment about what a person has said and then cut them off, not giving them a chance to reply! I know I know where the off button is and I am finding it more and more!

Last edited:
Definitely mumbles and waffles. He asks about 6 different topics all at once so just becomes a muddle like you say. Then recaps on the 6 topics about every half an hour which then takes about 10 minutes. It works better when it's the football phone in or the musical juke box. I am really going for it today (must be the heat!) but another thing I hate is he will make a comment about what a person has said and then cut them off, not giving them a chance to reply! I know I know where the off button is and I am finding it more and more!
It's good to have a rant 😁
1 hour per subject would work far better instead of the chaos, agree about the jukebox & football, that was ok at times when I tuned in.

I used to enjoy Dotun's overnight show if I couldn't sleep and particularly liked the virtual juke box, but his presenting style has definitely changed over the last couple of years and I rarely ever listen now.

Reactions: 4
Roxy Music guitarist Phil Mazanera was a great guest as Listed Londoner on Robert Elms BBC RL show today, so charming and unassuming. BBC Sounds from 2:11:10.

With Phil talking about his early life in Columbia, Venezuela and Cuba I was primed for Bob to let it be known that he speaks Spanish, and was not disappointed. Then, when Phil said he is not a fan of the exterior of the National Theatre, it was only a matter of time until Bob - yet again - mentioned that he lives in the Barbican. 😂

Paul O'Grady's show is good, him and Malcolm have a great rapport with the listeners.
There's not another radio programme like it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.