ASD Toddlers

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
He is only ever into gaming. Mario usually, but he goes through intense obsessions with other games, then switched to something else in the blink of an eye.

He was into space for quite a while, so much so he complained that all of his space books had all the same facts… for obvious reasons 🤣 He’s never been into flags or logos. Some get obsessed with maps or foreign alphabets… not him though.
I hope we skip foreign alphabets too. Cba with that. Thankfully, the alphabet doesn't hold his interest anymore, other than to practice writing. Maps is good. I draw him random maps and he just loves them. Funny little things. It's fascinating though, like how do you know all this stuff you little brainbox

Reactions: 1
Looks like I have all this to come. My boy loves the French speaking parts of his books we have that speak in both English and French. Heard him singing along to the French tune the other day 🙈

Things mine currently obsesses about:

-fruit and vegetables
-Disney Princess anything
-counting in other languages
-locks and keys
-trains

Can I please ask how is/was your toddlers understanding at 2.5 years old? My daughter is understanding so much now I.e where is the ball or balloon or toy etc, stand up, sit down, pick it up, put it back, go give nanny/grandad a cuddle etc. This has all come on mainly in the past 3 months, she seems to be surprising me all the time with things I’m asking her to do, I’m so so proud. I guess I just hope more words will follow soon as I feel like that is maybe the next step although I know everyone is different.

Can I please ask how is/was your toddlers understanding at 2.5 years old? My daughter is understanding so much now I.e where is the ball or balloon or toy etc, stand up, sit down, pick it up, put it back, go give nanny/grandad a cuddle etc. This has all come on mainly in the past 3 months, she seems to be surprising me all the time with things I’m asking her to do, I’m so so proud. I guess I just hope more words will follow soon as I feel like that is maybe the next step although I know everyone is different.
I'm absolutely no expert but the fact that she is understanding you is a really good sign. It was one of the things my HV asked me when I was concerned about speech.

• Heart
Hi,
When we raised the concerns with our HV my son had no understanding at all. He was around 27 months. Now he’s 33 months and he’s understanding a bit more. So I think he’ll get there soon enough xx

anyone had an positive stories for a non verbal toddler? my little girl is 2 in a few weeks and for a child who can't talk she doesn't shut up😂 but it's like gibberish no real meaning at all, she can say mama and dada but I'm not sure if she knows what is means! makes me sad seeing toddlers her age talking when she can't

• Heart
anyone had an positive stories for a non verbal toddler? my little girl is 2 in a few weeks and for a child who can't talk she doesn't shut up😂 but it's like gibberish no real meaning at all, she can say mama and dada but I'm not sure if she knows what is means! makes me sad seeing toddlers her age talking when she can't
I think the fact that she is trying to talk/making sounds is a very positive thing. Two is still very young. My son was the same at that age, lots of babbling but no discernible words/language and with time, and support from a good speech and language therapist, he came on leaps and bounds. He’ll be 8 this month and is very chatty now (unless he’s engrossed in a video game 🙄 😂). I’m sure your wee girl will be chatting your ear off soon enough. ❤

I think the fact that she is trying to talk/making sounds is a very positive thing. Two is still very young. My son was the same at that age, lots of babbling but no discernible words/language and with time, and support from a good speech and language therapist, he came on leaps and bounds. He’ll be 8 this month and is very chatty now (unless he’s engrossed in a video game 🙄 😂). I’m sure your wee girl will be chatting your ear off soon enough. ❤
How old was your little one when the words came? My little one is 3 and a half and at the minute all he says is Dad, Birthday (random one 🤣) and Peppa. He doesn’t shut up though his mouth is non stop but just not proper words yet 🥺

• Heart
Reactions: 3
How old was your little one when the words came? My little one is 3 and a half and at the minute all he says is Dad, Birthday (random one 🤣) and Peppa. He doesn’t shut up though his mouth is non stop but just not proper words yet 🥺
He was about 2 and a half/3 when he first said “daddy” “car” etc but it took him a while longer to say “mummy.” He could say “chocolate” before he could say mummy (priorities 😂). I found the words began to come more when he started nursery, it really helped bring him on to be around other children and adults. Before then he would just scream for things and we had to guess what was wrong with him/what he wanted.

Is your little one receiving speech and language therapy? x

Hi everyone!
Just wondering how everyone is getting on? My son has just turned 3 and slowly improving day by day. He’s still classed as non verbal, says lots of singular words and sings all the songs from miss Rachel 😂 but no real communication.
Going to try and get an EHCP sorted for when he starts school next year x

He was about 2 and a half/3 when he first said “daddy” “car” etc but it took him a while longer to say “mummy.” He could say “chocolate” before he could say mummy (priorities 😂). I found the words began to come more when he started nursery, it really helped bring him on to be around other children and adults. Before then he would just scream for things and we had to guess what was wrong with him/what he wanted.

Is your little one receiving speech and language therapy? x
We finally had our initial meeting with speech and language it’s now just a wait to see if it gets going 🤞🏼 I’ve tried a lot of the tactics she informed me about so I’m hoping he gets somewhere at least before he starts reception next year x
---
Hi everyone!
Just wondering how everyone is getting on? My son has just turned 3 and slowly improving day by day. He’s still classed as non verbal, says lots of singular words and sings all the songs from miss Rachel 😂 but no real communication.
Going to try and get an EHCP sorted for when he starts school next year x
My son got giving his EHCP just before they finished for summer, he will be doing his second year at school nursery (he’s in mainstream) next week and they’ve finally been able to get him a 1-1 🙌🏼 hoping it helps him with his development x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
We finally had our initial meeting with speech and language it’s now just a wait to see if it gets going 🤞🏼 I’ve tried a lot of the tactics she informed me about so I’m hoping he gets somewhere at least before he starts reception next year x
---

My son got giving his EHCP just before they finished for summer, he will be doing his second year at school nursery (he’s in mainstream) next week and they’ve finally been able to get him a 1-1 🙌🏼 hoping it helps him with his development x
Ooh brilliant that’s great news. We have a meeting with portage soon to try and get the ball rolling. My boy is summer born so worried about him as it is x

• Heart
Ooh brilliant that’s great news. We have a meeting with portage soon to try and get the ball rolling. My boy is summer born so worried about him as it is x
Hoping it all goes well and is a quick process for you! The louder you are the more you’re heard that’s what I thought x

took my 2 year old (she turned 2 on friday) to the doctors yesterday for help diagnosing her with autism or to at least get some help with communication/speech and the doctor just completely fobbed us off and said that she was too young to even starting thinking about autism and that i should just wait to see how she gets on. she made no effort to even look at my daughter. now i have no idea what to do

took my 2 year old (she turned 2 on friday) to the doctors yesterday for help diagnosing her with autism or to at least get some help with communication/speech and the doctor just completely fobbed us off and said that she was too young to even starting thinking about autism and that i should just wait to see how she gets on. she made no effort to even look at my daughter. now i have no idea what to do
The doctors are never interested! It was my health visitor that mainly gave me the support, is little one in nursery? Nursery were also a big help and got the ball rolling along with HV. The doctors are shocking when it comes to stuff like this and people wonder why us mums are so frustrated 😢 Hope you and little one get the help!

The doctors are never interested! It was my health visitor that mainly gave me the support, is little one in nursery? Nursery were also a big help and got the ball rolling along with HV. The doctors are shocking when it comes to stuff like this and people wonder why us mums are so frustrated 😢 Hope you and little one get the help!
thank you I'll do that! no she's not in nursery yet unfortunately! we're going to try get her in there for January when her free hours start. can't believe how useless the doctors are 😭

When you get a letter for the 2 year health check, make sure that it’s a face to face one and bring up the concerns with them, that’s how we started the ball rolling as my child wouldn’t stop spinning in the corner and did none of the test

Hi everyone, has anyone got an EHCP for their little ones that are also non verbal/speech delay? Do they have SLT at school?
We’ve just had our draft EHCP so just wondered about SLT facilities at school. X

Has anyone with an EHCP deferred their child a year for school? I’ve been told this morning that our LA have said 100% mainstream is suitable for my son. He’s non verbal, still in nappies, not independent etc etc you know the drill. He’s 4 in august.
We chose a mainstream school with a resourced provision attached, and the sendco from the school has said he would be more suited there than the mainstream. So it is going back to panel in the next few weeks.
If we defer, will the EHCP cover his nursery fees considering there isn’t a suitable setting for him?
I’ve emailed back today to say I would only be happy with full time mainstream if he was allocated a 1:1 100%. In his EHCP it states he needs 1:1 and small group intervention so I’m really shocked the LA has done this.
Thanks 🥹 xx