Anti Conspiracy Theories #6 wakey, wakey!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I work in a very busy maternity unit. Over 70% of the women who have an elective c-section booked on Friday 13th January, have asked to change the date as they don't want to give birth on that day. We also regularly get women asking to be induced early, so that their baby "won't be a Scorpio" (for example. Other star signs may be regarded as equally awful for all I know) 🥴🙄
Pick and mix horoscopes wtf never heard this before 🤯🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 6
A pick n mix horoscope :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Horoscopes and stuff to that nature (like tarot etc.) interest me but I'm not a hardcore believer in anything. I love reading about the law of attraction stuff but I also grew up christian so I am either greedy, or undecisive I suppose.

Also it amuses me to no end that rumour is geminis are always late. Well I am a gemini. Smack in the middle of the month too so no excuses and anyone who knows me I am notoriously early. I am an early for being early kind of person :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 5
If I’d not gone into Labour naturally, I’d have been induced on the 30th of August, apparently the quietest day for inductions as no one wants an August 31 baby 🙈

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
@Prefrontalmedialcortex - good to see you back. Also, I hope you don't mind me sharing the article you posted in here as well, as I feel it's relevant to anti conspiracy theories:

It sums up a lot of what we'd been saying and it was good to see Christian Eriksen included as an example of a sportsman who collapsed on the pitch but hadn't even had the covid vaccine at the time. I know the anti-vaxxers will likely say "that's only one person", but it demonstrates how quick many of them are to jump to conclusions about a death/collapse without having the respect to at least wait and find out more information about the nature of the death/collapse and if the person was even vaccinated.

Also the suggestion that the vaccine is responsible for deaths caused by the Astroworld Festival crowd crush is preposterous and, again, disrespectful. It illustrates how much they reach.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
@Prefrontalmedialcortex - good to see you back. Also, I hope you don't mind me sharing the article you posted in here as well, as I feel it's relevant to anti conspiracy theories:

It sums up a lot of what we'd been saying and it was good to see Christian Eriksen included as an example of a sportsman who collapsed on the pitch but hadn't even had the covid vaccine at the time. I know the anti-vaxxers will likely say "that's only one person", but it demonstrates how quick many of them are to jump to conclusions about a death/collapse without having the respect to at least wait and find out more information about the nature of the death/collapse and if the person was even vaccinated.

Also the suggestion that the vaccine is responsible for deaths caused by the Astroworld Festival crowd crush is preposterous and, again, disrespectful. It illustrates how much they reach.
👋🏻 Ensay! Course I don’t mind you sharing it here. I agree, it is pretty accurate as to how people are jumping to conclusions.

Even when it is reported that there was no connection to the vaccine, you’ll still see people posting, adamant that it was the vaccine and they’re covering up or telling lies. 🙄

• Sad
Reactions: 8
👋🏻 Ensay! Course I don’t mind you sharing it here. I agree, it is pretty accurate as to how people are jumping to conclusions.

Even when it is reported that there was no connection to the vaccine, you’ll still see people posting, adamant that it was the vaccine and they’re covering up or telling lies. 🙄
Yes indeed! They get so blinkered. I said fairly recently that some people definitely get obsessed with the topic. If you look at anti vaccine Twitter posts, then view the timeline of that person, invariably most of their tweets will be about the same thing.

To me that shows that they basically immerse themselves in an online world about one thing, so it's easy to see how it becomes most of what they consume online and you'll see them parrot each other. All it'll take is for one person to say something is fake and then a lot will follow suit.

They will accuse us of blindly following MSM, while they blindly follow the same narrow and cherry picked sources online. Not surprising the article got backs up, though, as the truth invariably hurts.

Yes indeed! They get so blinkered. I said fairly recently that some people definitely get obsessed with the topic. If you look at anti vaccine Twitter posts, then view the timeline of that person, invariably most of their tweets will be about the same thing.

To me that shows that they basically immerse themselves in an online world about one thing, so it's easy to see how it becomes most of what they consume online and you'll see them parrot each other. All it'll take is for one person to say something is fake and then a lot will follow suit.

They will accuse us of blindly following MSM, while they blindly follow the same narrow and cherry picked sources online. Not surprising the article got backs up, though, as the truth invariably hurts.
I try and stay away from Twitter as there are so many accounts and posts which churn out the same rubbish with little to no context/truth.

You see the same tweets of people cherry picking something from an article and twisting what has been said. I can guarantee that a lot of the time people do not read the article/study for themselves and will just copy/paste.

Reactions: 3
The anti-vaxxers don’t seem to be going away, do they? I keep seeing dumb ones on my local FB groups talking about their superior immune systems and how everyone they know who’ve had the covid jab is sick all the time and have had Covid but they haven’t.. I thought we were all supposed to be dead by now? 😂 it’s luck. The anti vaxxer I know stopped saying the above now that he’s had it twice.

Another thing is idiot Brexiteers who seem to think that the government is trying to stop people from getting hold of certain food / products & they have no capacity to take responsibility for their own choices(!)

Reactions: 4
i had to laugh today reading tit implying that Brexit was responsible for a cold remedy shortage. Mmm, I don’t know about you, but everyone in my area has been brought down by this cold/flu/virus thing which would lead to an exponential increase in the need for such medicine. Whereas the local FB tin hatters are obviously blaming “other forces” - probably the WEF.

The anti-vaxxers don’t seem to be going away, do they? I keep seeing dumb ones on my local FB groups talking about their superior immune systems and how everyone they know who’ve had the covid jab is sick all the time and have had Covid but they haven’t.. I thought we were all supposed to be dead by now? 😂 it’s luck. The anti vaxxer I know stopped saying the above now that he’s had it twice.

Another thing is idiot Brexiteers who seem to think that the government is trying to stop people from getting hold of certain food / products & they have no capacity to take responsibility for their own choices(!)
Yeah I've seen similar comments. I know plenty of vaccinated people who haven't had covid, or been ill for a long time. In fact, out of my immediate work colleagues (all of whom are vaccinated because they've all spoken about it previously) only one has been off sick recently.

Do I go on about that? Nope, because it's all anecdotal and hence neither proves or disproves anything.

But I have to smile when "it's a gossip forum, don't like it don't read it" gets bandied about by the same people who weren't happy at that article I linked earlier being posted. :D

Reactions: 9
It's annoying though as I think it's important to talk about possible side effects etc so people can make informed decisions, but instead its just wilful ignorance and faux naievety about oh do people against the vaccine do that. Its pathetic really and the opposite of what they want to achieve.

I don’t think there’s evidence that the covid vaccine has more or less side effects than any other vaccine. Or drug. This isn’t new.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
It's annoying though as I think it's important to talk about possible side effects etc so people can make informed decisions, but instead its just wilful ignorance and faux naievety about oh do people against the vaccine do that. Its pathetic really and the opposite of what they want to achieve.
I agree. I used to be happy discussing it, but over time the situation has largely turned into a case of being 100% against the vaccines or nothing. There's no middle ground, so it's sadly a waste of time.

That earlier exchange on the other thread went along a depressingly familiar path... 🙁 I so wish there could be non-inflammatory discussions re: the vaccines where information ciited is mostly evidence-based not anecdotal or from Hopkins, Farage et al. It's scary how people who are caring/society-minded folk (whom I believe most of on these forums to genuinely be) hook into right-tending propaganda spun by media guru figures in the Mail, Sun, GB News, on mass media, twitter, etc. It's classic manipulation fodder, the kind to which many of its advocates are supposedly opposed. I wonder if there's a genuine blindness to recognising that there's a hell of a lot of manipulation going on to persuade people into believing in mass covid vaccine effects and sudden deaths as majorly vaccine-induced? That it's a construct by clever sm influencers, beyond the relatively small though still concerning cases of genuine vaccine injuries?

Anyway here's a lighter moment from the inimitable cartoonist Tom Gauld:

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 9
That earlier exchange on the other thread went along a depressingly familiar path... 🙁 I so wish there could be non-inflammatory discussions re: the vaccines where information ciited is mostly evidence-based not anecdotal or from Hopkins, Farage et al. It's scary how people who are caring/society-minded folk (whom I believe most of on these forums to genuinely be) hook into right-tending propaganda spun by media guru figures in the Mail, Sun, GB News, on mass media, twitter, etc. It's classic manipulation fodder, the kind to which many of its advocates are supposedly opposed. I wonder if there's a genuine blindness to recognising that there's a hell of a lot of manipulation going on to persuade people into believing in mass covid vaccine effects and sudden deaths as majorly vaccine-induced? That it's a construct by clever sm influencers, beyond the relatively small though still concerning cases of genuine vaccine injuries?

Anyway here's a lighter moment from the inimitable cartoonist Tom Gauld:
You raise a good point and I was thinking about this earlier. How lots of people fight about the vaccines and lots of other things on Twitter, Facebook etc. But then they’ll shut their computers down or put their phones in their pockets and go out into the real world where they’ll be nice to people they meet.

I’m nice to strangers, greet them with a smile etc. I’m sure those strangers are a mix of vaccinated and unvaccinated but I’m not going to ask and it’s irrelevant if we’re just having a bit of friendly small talk and passing the time of day. Makes you realise how divisive the internet can be and how, when we actually just speak to people and remove labels and groups, most people are kind to one another.

• Heart
That earlier exchange on the other thread went along a depressingly familiar path... 🙁
If people are willing to be honest the exchange began as a result of the way the poster placed that article by itself in that particular thread, the person who reposted here brought some points like cases of person not actually being vaccinated at the time that’s obviously a valid point to make

A pressing concern seems to be accuracy of information if people here have access to what they consider better reliable information why do they not post in that thread to benefit everybody instead of criticising, ridiculing and shaming? I know that goes both ways and it’s not helpful because it puts people off from contributing when it gets like that

A positive result of that exchange that should please people here is it’s been discussed try to only post deaths confirmed to be connected because apparently there is a specific sudden death thread now

Poster has said about being kind in real life well let’s just start with being civil online to get past this ill feeling so we can talk and have a little bit of a laugh together too sometimes why not ❤

I don’t think there’s evidence that the covid vaccine has more or less side effects than any other vaccine. Or drug. This isn’t new.
Indeed, I think the main point of difficulty when trying to compare with other product rollouts is the compressed timescale, and the resulting figures which get grabbed and summarised to create the attention grabbing dramatic 'statement' which is variously taken as headline, quoted as absolute fact on a tweet etc, with the all too familiar absence of the qualifying remarks, footnotes...

A smidgen of truth is the cornerstone of every Truth.
End result, influencers at opposite extremes making statements that oversimplify complex issues and intensify divisions that most people would actually be fine to work around without making a thing of it.

OTOH we should not forget that gobshites at any extremes do have another purpose, they act as a beacon of 'do not be like this'.

If people are willing to be honest the exchange began as a result of the way the poster placed that article by itself in that particular thread, the person who reposted here brought some points like cases of person not actually being vaccinated at the time that’s obviously a valid point to make

A pressing concern seems to be accuracy of information if people here have access to what they consider better reliable information why do they not post in that thread to benefit everybody instead of criticising, ridiculing and shaming? I know that goes both ways and it’s not helpful because it puts people off from contributing when it gets like that

A positive result of that exchange that should please people here is it’s been discussed try to only post deaths confirmed to be connected because apparently there is a specific sudden death thread now

Poster has said about being kind in real life well let’s just start with being civil online to get past this ill feeling so we can talk and have a little bit of a laugh together too sometimes why not ❤
I went back to refresh my memory and I have to respectfully disagree with your first point. As far as I can see, the article was just posted along with its title. Said article was relevant to the thread it was posted in and the person who linked it did so without adding a nasty or rude comment. So I can't see how it was antagonistic to be honest.

If it's antagonistic to post links, articles, tweets etc without any commentary then I can easily find many more examples in the topic that haven't been described as antagonistic by you or anyone else. So, to be frank, the measure of what's appropriate or inappropriate doesn't seem to be consistent.

With that out the way, it's probably worth pointing out that there's a lot of history here. As you can tell, that thread is the 22nd, and each topic has 1,000 posts, so we're up to 22K now. It used to be more balanced, with people on both sides of the discussion contributing their opinions. Yes, there'd be the odd disagreement that could turn a bit personal, but by and large it was mostly civil.

Then we hit a point where people who weren't against the vaccines started to post less (probably because they saw the topic as less relevant to them) which meant the proportion of those against the vaccines increased. At that point - in my opinion - it started to become less civil. I suspect partly because fatigue was setting in, which naturally meant people became a bit more irritable and also I feel some were more emboldened to be a little more... forthright (shall we say) with their views in the confidence that they were in the majority and hence would be backed up by more people.

That went on for a bit and I, along with others withdrew, as arguments became repetitive, often rude/personal and it became clear we were unlikely to ever agree. This thread then became a bit more popular because those who wanted to discuss why conspiracy theories (and general anti vaccine sentiment) were/are detrimental were able to do so without things getting nasty.

I admire the fact you're trying to act as a peacekeeper. Believe it or not, I'm often a mediator myself in other places as I welcome discussion about pretty much any topic regardless of whether I agree or disagree; but I like that discussion to be civil and in good faith. While I have that type of discussion elsewhere, it's become pretty clear that it's now a non-starter here for all the numerous reasons I've outlined above. It's a shame, but that's just how things are.

Apologies for the very lengthy post, but I felt you deserved an explanation of the background. As I said a few days ago, you're very welcome here and I'm more than happy to discuss things with you, as I can tell you're respectful regardless of the topic. :)

Indeed, I think the main point of difficulty when trying to compare with other product rollouts is the compressed timescale, and the resulting figures which get grabbed and summarised to create the attention grabbing dramatic 'statement' which is variously taken as headline, quoted as absolute fact on a tweet etc, with the all too familiar absence of the qualifying remarks, footnotes...

A smidgen of truth is the cornerstone of every Truth.
End result, influencers at opposite extremes making statements that oversimplify complex issues and intensify divisions that most people would actually be fine to work around without making a thing of it.

OTOH we should not forget that gobshites at any extremes do have another purpose, they act as a beacon of 'do not be like this'.
Well said! It dismays me when I see mistruths being tweeted and then being spread far and wide. All too often, many people don't stop and investigate a bit further. It's so important to read beyond the headline to see if the punchy title is a fair summary. In this clickbait world, it rarely is.

And, as you say, that applies to both sides of pretty much any discussion.

• Heart
I appreciate the detailed post @Ensay it helped for me to understand

Without going into other examples just focusing on that incident to me it didn’t feel helpful, including some commentary would have made it less like a thrown grenade that’s just my opinion

@Prefrontalmedialcortex There are things that we probably agree with just because of that one exchange I hope you don’t press ignore on me and we get to talk in the future here or there btw still waiting to know how you feel on choice 🙌

I appreciate the detailed post @Ensay it helped for me to understand

Without going into other examples just focusing on that incident to me it didn’t feel helpful, including some commentary would have made it less like a thrown grenade that’s just my opinion

@Prefrontalmedialcortex There are things that we probably agree with just because of that one exchange I hope you don’t press ignore on me and we get to talk in the future here or there btw still waiting to know how you feel on choice 🙌
It wasn’t a thrown grenade, I simply shared an article, as have many others posters without commentary.

No I have not put you on ignore and welcome future discussions. People are entitled to have their opinions, choice, views etc. Not sure what you mean, have I missed a post perhaps?

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.