Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had a bit of a weird and scary experience when shaking someone's hand a few years back that's stayed with me, so now I just hold my hand to my heart and say how nice it is to meet/see the person. The only good thing to come out of Covid was that I could use that as an excuse for a while!

The scary thing was, I attended an interview with two men. The first man shook my hand; I reciprocated; fine. The second man held out his hand; I reciprocated and he bloody crushed my hand so hard I was trying not to flinch. He knew what he was doing. He continued to act like a prick throughout the interview as well. My hand was sore for days after.

I have no qualms in asking colleagues or management to stand back if they're in my personal space - it's just gross.
Good grief I do hope you called him out on his bullying behaviour. What an absolute bellend.

Reactions: 3
I had a bit of a weird and scary experience when shaking someone's hand a few years back that's stayed with me, so now I just hold my hand to my heart and say how nice it is to meet/see the person. The only good thing to come out of Covid was that I could use that as an excuse for a while!

The scary thing was, I attended an interview with two men. The first man shook my hand; I reciprocated; fine. The second man held out his hand; I reciprocated and he bloody crushed my hand so hard I was trying not to flinch. He knew what he was doing. He continued to act like a prick throughout the interview as well. My hand was sore for days after.

I have no qualms in asking colleagues or management to stand back if they're in my personal space - it's just gross.

bleeping prick. My ex was like that - some tit about it establishing who was dominant. Nah, you're just a covert abuser, getting off on hurting people, particularly women for daring to infiltrate your domain.

-----------------

Got a call this afternoon - yes, it's Sunday, but I can tolerate that in extremis. Of course, it has to be an incredibly delicate situation that my particular skillset makes me best placed to deal with tomorrow morning.

I'm not paid enough for this.

Reactions: 6
My department has 3 receptionists and instead of making them god forbid cover a reception they’ve been allowed to hybrid work and for 2 out of the 3 days I’m in this week I’m covering it for them. As a senior staff member (sadly not management or that would be the first thing stopping) me and my colleagues are getting really annoyed. Trying to sit in a teams meeting is challenging with constant interruptions 🙄 we keep bringing it up but they’re so soft

• Wow
Reactions: 5
My department has 3 receptionists and instead of making them god forbid cover a reception they’ve been allowed to hybrid work and for 2 out of the 3 days I’m in this week I’m covering it for them. As a senior staff member (sadly not management or that would be the first thing stopping) me and my colleagues are getting really annoyed. Trying to sit in a teams meeting is challenging with constant interruptions 🙄 we keep bringing it up but they’re so soft
That makes no sense - I’m all for hybrid and remote work but the definition of a receptionist is to be in the reception…

Reactions: 13
Well quite, nothing makes any sense in this place it seems to be flexible for some and maximum impact for the rest.

Managers who blatantly promote the ‘Golden Child’ practice and who find a reason to praise the same person at every meeting.

Reactions: 10
My office is pretty good really and it's dawned on me one of the big reasons why - no team meetings. They just wreck me.

Managers who blatantly promote the ‘Golden Child’ practice and who find a reason to praise the same person at every meeting.
Omg yes, this keeps happening in my team. There’s one lady who just gets praised all the time, or is always first in the list of names etc. Everyone keeps eyerolling about it, we are all fed up. Problem is the Golden Child is a massive Pick-Meeeeeeeee and absolutely laps up the praise :sick:

Edit to add: She’s one of those people who does a mock nervous laugh all the time too, so fake and loud. She goes all pink with “embarrassment” but you know she’s actually really pleased with herself.

Last edited:
Omg yes, this keeps happening in my team. There’s one lady who just gets praised all the time, or is always first in the list of names etc. Everyone keeps eyerolling about it, we are all fed up. Problem is the Golden Child is a massive Pick-Meeeeeeeee and absolutely laps up the praise :sick:
We have one of these too. She’s been there forever, everyone loves her and she loves being loved by everyone.
Always complaining she has loads to do and not enough time to do it but she’s always running off after someone or something and hardly ever sat at her desk!
---
I used to manage a team of receptionists, the job advert explicitly stated that hybrid was not an option but after the first couple of months they were requesting to wfh. And one of them didn’t like the title receptionist 🙄

• Haha
Favoritism drives me up the wall especially when we’re a very small team. People might think it creates ‘healthy competition’ but it does not when it’s the same person who gets praise all the time.

I don’t mind people getting praise, but there is room for everyone. When it’s always the same person no matter how great they are, it shows there’s an agenda at play.

The golden child in every team is almost always a pick me with no real personal opinions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
We have one of these too. She’s been there forever, everyone loves her and she loves being loved by everyone.
Always complaining she has loads to do and not enough time to do it but she’s always running off after someone or something and hardly ever sat at her desk!
---

That could be me...except I haven't been there for a long time, just a few years.

I'd love to be able to sit down for more than 15 seconds without about 10 new things cropping up that need urgent attention. And I prefer speaking to people to sending emails that can add to overwhelm and take longer to type, send then somebody has to answer, compared to a couple of minutes' conversation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I get frustrated when people don't respond to their emails and end up sending me tasks that were due six months ago, but then I see their calendars and they have back to back to back Teams meetings scheduled nearly all day every day. Seriously, when does upper management expect these people to do any actual work?

Reactions: 4
How were they not told that the essence of their job description is actually to be physically at reception!
That is one of the daftest things I have ever heard.

How were they not told that the essence of their job description is actually to be physically at reception!

Could be like a lot of places where they're given the title and pay of Receptionist, but then have so much admin and other tasks piled on them that they need time away to actually do them.

That could be me...except I haven't been there for a long time, just a few years.

I'd love to be able to sit down for more than 15 seconds without about 10 new things cropping up that need urgent attention. And I prefer speaking to people to sending emails that can add to overwhelm and take longer to type, send then somebody has to answer, compared to a couple of minutes' conversation.
No shade at you but this is my beef. People who insist on speaking on the phone or in person when an email would do.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Oh I needed this thread...

Our office manager is hell on wheels. She's incompetent, thinks her actual job is beneath her, shirks any job she can on to any other colleagues, and has nothing but hot air between her ears. Her job is to keep the office clean and tidy, smooth and functioning, and make sure all our software/tools work. Of course she doesn't, she wants to pretend to be HR (we have HR already) instead despite most of us being senior to her.

Front door is broken, printer is broken, half of our tools have expired and our meeting room is barely functioning - but god forbid she fixes it. She's too busy bullying younger colleagues into doing her jobs and sitting back with her feet up.

Reactions: 4
To be fair, it’s become a thing to put ‘fully remote’ on any job advert. I’ve spent some time today rage job-hunting professionally looking for a new opportunity and apparently Nando’s in Aberdeen is looking for ‘fully remote’ kitchen staff. I’m not quite sure how that one would work with me down in the South-West but I’m almost tempted …

• Haha
Reactions: 21
No shade at you but this is my beef. People who insist on speaking on the phone or in person when an email would do.
They had an initiative at a previous place of work to reduce emails and encouraged people to talk or phone rather than send an email. There was a crazy amount of emails being sent daily 😀

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.