Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sometimes i wish I had an entrepreneurial spirit because working for myself sounds like a better option, but i am no Sir Alan Sugar and I hate uncertainty ha ha
Same! I'm debating making lip gloss or candles for shopee. Neither are really big in TW though. It makes me not want to try. šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 2
It just hit me, managers are the equivalent of landlords at work. They don't want to do their *job*. They lie and make up tit. Similar to landlords blaming renters. They want praise for the bare minimum. They'll bother everyone on their day off because someone called in. The manager couldn't possibly fill in like they're suppose to so they'd rather bother others.

I honestly feel like I'm just not cut out for work. I can't stand their constant BS. I can't hold in my thoughts when they think it's okay to be snarky. Even my parents wouldn't act this way. Wtf makes them think they can??!

I'm hoping this is just a low IQ thing. I really hope once I switch to a job that requires at least a Masters, there will be less BS.... I know it's likely similar though
No, nothing to do with IQ, in my opinion.

I have been lucky enough to have encountered mostly decent managers. But have had some truly awful ones too.

It's not something everyone is cut out for - management - but unfortunately many organisations promote bullies and incompetent individuals into such roles.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Iā€™d say itā€™s more impacted by EQ than IQ

I have been lucky enough to have encountered mostly decent managers. But have had some truly awful ones too.

It's not something everyone is cut out for - management - but unfortunately many organisations promote bullies and incompetent individuals into such roles.

Reactions: 5

Certainly in my civil-servicey neck of the woods, you often have to take on line/people management responsibility in order to get promoted, and itā€™s definitely not everyoneā€™s strength. Thereā€™s often not a lot of training or support and itā€™s one thing to flounder when youā€™re just responsible for yourself, but itā€™s a very different thing to flounder when youā€™re responsible for others too.

I've learned just as much from terrible bosses as I have good ones. I can say that, roughly half way through my working life (I hope), that I've had two excellent bosses, about 5 horrendous ones with the rest utterly mediocre. Most people genuinely haven't got it in them. They can't communicate well and loads get some sort of weird power trip the minute you add some bollocks to their title such as the word 'senior'.

Absolutely sick to the back teeth of the management, who earn roughly 10 times more than us minions, and the petty, pedantic demands that they make.
Theyā€™ve literally made our jobs harder, more time consuming and miserable, just to save themselves dotting an I, or crossing a t more than they should.
Because heaven forbid that they should actually do any work for their pay when the rabble can do it for next to nothing šŸ˜”

Reactions: 4
Had an unscheduled meeting this evening just before I left legged it out of the building at half the speed of light.

Oh, tit.

They've only gone and promoted me.

I'm going to be a manager.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I work alongside managers who have high IQs, PhDs etc, they are just as bad at being awful landlord type managers, trust me.

Sometimes i wish I had an entrepreneurial spirit because working for myself sounds like a better option, but i am no Sir Alan Sugar and I hate uncertainty ha ha
Management and leadership are much more about emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills than IQ and degrees.

Reactions: 11
Certainly in my civil-servicey neck of the woods, you often have to take on line/people management responsibility in order to get promoted, and itā€™s definitely not everyoneā€™s strength. Thereā€™s often not a lot of training or support and itā€™s one thing to flounder when youā€™re just responsible for yourself, but itā€™s a very different thing to flounder when youā€™re responsible for others too.
I've never understood this. It's the case in many organisations that to get promotion or more responsibility you have to take on line management responsibilities. Yet logically if you're really good at your job and ready for more responsibility, why on earth would this mean you would make a good line manager? The two do not always go hand in hand.

Reactions: 8
This! This is why I haven't ever gone for a promotion because I'm civil service and I wouldn't make a good manager. Frustrating that I can't climb higher because of this!

Favoritism drives me up the wall especially when weā€™re a very small team. People might think it creates ā€˜healthy competitionā€™ but it does not when itā€™s the same person who gets praise all the time.

I donā€™t mind people getting praise, but there is room for everyone. When itā€™s always the same person no matter how great they are, it shows thereā€™s an agenda at play.

The golden child in every team is almost always a pick me with no real personal opinions.
I had the opposite of the Golden Child the last place I worked. The boss (bloke in his 50s) really had it in for a blonde girl who was 25. Picked up every mistake she made, wanted to check all her work etc. He had a daughter who he was always bad mouthing for being lazy etc, and we found out she was 25, blonde and had the same name as the girl at work.

I think he was projecting all his negative thoughts about his daughter onto the one at work!

• Wow
I had the opposite of the Golden Child the last place I worked. The boss (bloke in his 50s) really had it in for a blonde girl who was 25. Picked up every mistake she made, wanted to check all her work etc. He had a daughter who he was always bad mouthing for being lazy etc, and we found out she was 25, blonde and had the same name as the girl at work.

I think he was projecting all his negative thoughts about his daughter onto the one at work!
Poor girl. I hope she escaped that toxic environment.

Poor girl. Unfortunately, in a lot of places, there is a ā€˜black sheepā€™ and a ā€˜golden childā€™.

This reminds me of a former colleague in his 50s who said his then 8 year old daughter has no ā€˜ambitionā€™. Sheā€™s 8 - let the kid be a kid.

• Wow
Interesting about the black sheep / golden child thing. I'll admit I'm a chatterbox but I'm also very efficient and dedicated. I get tit done. I know my role, I reach out for supervision when required and I problem solve. My old boss, I was defo his black sheep. He hated me. The feeling was mutual TBF. But he had no reason to hate me other than I talk loads. But I'm self aware I know it's a trait and I can also read when people are busy and don't want me chatting tit at them šŸ˜‚ my old boss has moved to a different team now and I'm firmly golden child with my new one. Deservedly. Still get told to shut up though. šŸ¤­
Sometimes your face doesn't fit and thats that.

I feel like the black sheep of my company. Itā€™s a small business and everyone is expected to drink the kool aid and I think part of that is being enthusiastic and saying yes to everything, doing as your told and taking on as much as possible.

I come from places where time = money and I value quality and being more consultative. I donā€™t want to say yes all the time because I know from experience what is profitable and what isnā€™t. And Iā€™m strict on my boundaries when it comes to over working. I know full well as a business Iā€™m there for my knowledge and the work and the ā€œfamilyā€ and ā€œflexible fun workplaceā€ is usually a ruse to get you to work more. Someone recently got promoted to lead our team- definitely the golden child and Iā€™m happy for them because they are lovely and I get on well with them but I know they will be unlikely to push back or disagree with things. I donā€™t feel heard, Iā€™m getting increasingly exasperated by a lack of standards that I feel like I canā€™t call out and even when i do, nothing changes.

Iā€™ve been clear that I want to progress and where I want to progress in but Iā€™ve been given 0 opportunity to do so. As a result I get really resistant to anything optional (like innovation work and training people) to the point where I just opt out and refuse to do anything other than my job and donā€™t volunteer myself for things. I guess then I make things worse for myself and become even more of a black sheep but Iā€™d rather protect my peace

• Heart
I'm honestly going to reject extras from now on too. Saturday? Nope sorry it's sabbath. Any ideas? Nope I'm just a dumbass :). Instead of asking for time for appointment I'm just going to call in.

I'm sick of them giving credit to men.
I'm sick of older women ALWAYS being snobby gossips.
I'm bleeping exhausted and done.

This girl sitting right behind me has a huge box of large crackers at her desk & has been chewing loudly non-stop for the past 1.5h. Iā€™m about to lose my mind.

• Haha
  • Sick
I had a couple of days off last week and returned to even more emails than usual and most of them were dross, could have gone to the colleagues I listed in my OOO message, or could have just waited till I got back. I often wonder why I bother with an out of office message when every idiot going just emails anyway.

It was different back when you didn't get an out of office message till after you'd sent the email, but these days our version of Outlook shows you the person's OOO before you send the email so there's no excuse.

Seriously tempted to make my next OOO say something along the lines of:

"I'm currently out the office, so don't bleeping send me any emails. I'm back on Xday - if it's still an issue by then, let me know. Remember: no bleeping emails!"

Just to check if anyone actually reads them.

---

Also, I've got a colleague who constantly promises to do things and never does. They're not massive things, so it's not a major issue, but don't promise even small things if you can't be arsed or are just going to keep forgetting.

My old boss had a message on her OOO which said she was away and if you send her anything whilst she wasnā€™t there it would be deleted on return. She did have alternative people on it to cover her work but sadly I am not high enough up to get away with a mass delete šŸ˜‚

• Haha
My old boss had a message on her OOO which said she was away and if you send her anything whilst she wasnā€™t there it would be deleted on return. She did have alternative people on it to cover her work but sadly I am not high enough up to get away with a mass delete šŸ˜‚
My boss does this too!

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.