Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
2 little rants today:

I have just emailed someone to see if they they are free for a quick catch up call (we are supposed to be working on a project together but of course it's all me at the moment.) and I got a list of everything they're doing and why they are busy but they will call me anyway. No worries hun, I'm never busy and doing extra work :rolleyes:

For the past 2 weeks I've been doing my work, managing a group of 10 and covering for someone as they are off and not forgetting the person that constantly calls me for help. I made one minor mistake and then someone from senior management calls me. It just annoys me that 99% of the communication from him is only when people have done something wrong, never to give you any praise yet everyone else above me gets treated like they are bloody royalty :mad:

Reactions: 9
I prefer to communicate via email so there's a paper trail - just in case! It's horrible to feel like I have to do that, but better safe than sorry.

-----

This company I'm contracting to has been bought out by a larger company and announced today that all contract staff are to leave, effective as of this Friday. I queried with my manager if the rule applies to me, as I'm the only one who's hitting sales targets at the moment and a couple of clients I've brought on have stated that they'll only commit if I'm involved in managing their account - which my manager agreed to; I was told that unfortunately yes, it applies to everyone.

It's fine from my personal point of view because I have other things I want to do, but decisions are being made impulsively at the moment by people who don't understand how this business operates. It doesn't help that the owners are in another country - I get the feeling they've just bought it to get the clients, strip it back as much as they can, and run it on skeleton staff. I will feel bad for letting 'my' clients down, but there's nothing I can do (contacting them would get me into a whole heap of trouble).

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I agree @Black.bird re email trail. It can be extremely useful especially with people who like to pretend something wasn't their responsibility. Nobody told me etc.

Also, I had a bully boy boss once, I posted about him previously here. When I returned from one to one meetings [shudder] I used to type an email straightaway to him - as per our meeting, the following actions and so forth.
Otherwise he would completely change what we had agreed, and try to undermine me in the process.

Hope all works out well for you. It doesn't sound like a nice situation to be in.

Reactions: 11
Three things today:

1. That person in my team who says they can’t be at the office 3 days in a row because it’s ‘a lot’ when they live 30 minutes away. Do they realize doctors, construction workers, teachers, police, firemen etc… don’t have this luxury? How tone deaf is that?

2. Someone who decided to have their breakfast while on camera on Zoom and I’m not talking about a coffee. I’m talking a knife and fork type of situation. I’m sorry but this is not appropriate. If you’re gonna eat, turn off your camera. Some people have gotten far too comfortable with Zoom etiquette.

3. Some senior person wished me a ‘happy company anniversary’ in a group chat and the usual suck up responded ‘I’ve a milestone too coming up in a few days’… and didn’t even bother to wish me a happy anniversary first. Then it turned into all about her and her 6 months milestone. SMH.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
No shade at you but this is my beef. People who insist on speaking on the phone or in person when an email would do.

Reading it back, I did sound like a bit of a knob.

I'll try again - if I can't get away with a

'Where's my report?',
'Fred's in Thursday - here's the thing for him to sign', '
Can you update x field so it syncs overnight?',

I won't subject people to a fifteen paragraph essay with the first 4 going 'how are you? I hope you are doing well. In the beginning, there was the Word and the Word was.....finally getting to the point with ...so, if we do this, by adding this, and adjusting that, however, the permissions setting on this particular thing seems to be saying that the user hasn't mapped to the LDAP - I do the following;

Keyboard stops working
Checked all connections, tried different USB slot
No batteries or wifi involved
Restarted
Tried with the one from the next desk. That works.
Return working keyboard to colleague.
I know IT won't answer a call, I can't fill a ticket in without a working keyboard and even if I did it from somebody else's computer, the turnaround is around 3 weeks.

I walk upstairs to IT.

'You got a spare keyboard? Mine's buggered. Cheers'.

and if I'm asking for data for a report that's just been sprung on me at the last second, I take biscuits, listen to the ten minute ranting about somebody else, make a mental note of their complaint about their mouse, then swing by IT where I collect a new one, paid for in Garibaldis and drop it off when I'm back over that way for an outdoor meeting vape break with finance.

Speaking is also useful because of one aspect of my job - being seen to be relatively independent. Because I go to people and speak to them, there's the advantage of things not sitting on the company servers. If somebody turns up at my door, there's a good chance that they're going to ask me a question about grievances, complaints or other concerns - they know that unless it's a clear safeguarding/criminal matter, the act of asking about a procedure or policy is not shared.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I started handing over my client files to others on the team this morning (as I'm leaving tomorrow).

As predicted, the moaning started ... These guys are so darned lazy. One, hasn't brought in any new clients in the past few months and he sits there day after day, doing the bare minimum.

The only decent one on the team resigned today ... A good move, I feel!

Reactions: 5
Add me on Facebook. Especially without asking idk I just find it weird that work colleagues I'm not closer to or work with often add me out of nowhere.

Maybe it's just me idk but I don't send requests to work colleagues without asking/being asked.

Reactions: 6
When someone asks if you want anything from the kitchen e.g. water and they come back 2 mins later without the thing you asked for so you sit there quietly seething.

Reactions: 3
Oh my bleeping GOD. This girl who’s just joined us from a different team SLAMS the keyboard everytime she types. It’s as if she’s angry at the keyboard or something!!! There is no need to punch each key 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ goes right through me

Oh my bleeping GOD. This girl who’s just joined us from a different team SLAMS the keyboard everytime she types. It’s as if she’s angry at the keyboard or something!!! There is no need to punch each key 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ goes right through me
I sat opposite a guy for a couple of years who sounded like he was mashing the keyboard with both fists.
It's dreadful to listen to.

Reactions: 5
I am currently working on this large team project with 10+ people. As part of this large team, we have a couple of sub-teams but meet on a regular basis as a large group to discuss progress.

This girl at my level keeps initiating all these unilateral decisions without submitting them to the larger group. Therefore, it looks as though she’s taking on more initiative than the rest of us. However, it could be the rest of us had the same idea, but wanted to discuss in a group call first before going ahead (especially if they gonna impact the whole team).

I’m so annoyed because she’s acting like the de facto PMO when she was never appointed as such. She’s management’s golden child, so they will use this to promote her.

Today, we were on a call and I’m usually the quiet one but wanted to give my perspective on something. She cut me off mid sentence and said ‘sorry’ in the most condescensing way as if I was the one who cut her off and continued talking. I went quiet after this. How rude.

I’m so annoyed. She’s getting a lot of visibility as it is. She can give other people a bit of space too.

Reactions: 4
I am currently working on this large team project with 10+ people. As part of this large team, we have a couple of sub-teams but meet on a regular basis as a large group to discuss progress.

This girl at my level keeps initiating all these unilateral decisions without submitting them to the larger group. Therefore, it looks as though she’s taking on more initiative than the rest of us. However, it could be the rest of us had the same idea, but wanted to discuss in a group call first before going ahead (especially if they gonna impact the whole team).

I’m so annoyed because she’s acting like the de facto PMO when she was never appointed as such. She’s management’s golden child, so they will use this to promote her.

Today, we were on a call and I’m usually the quiet one but wanted to give my perspective on something. She cut me off mid sentence and said ‘sorry’ in the most condescensing way as if I was the one who cut her off and continued talking. I went quiet after this. How rude.

I’m so annoyed. She’s getting a lot of visibility as it is. She can give other people a bit of space too.
Is she the coffee / breakfast bringer ?

Is she the coffee / breakfast bringer ?
No, but she works under the coffee bringer. The coffee bringer is the one who endorses this because even today someone came up with an idea and coffee bringer suggested this girl to take it on.

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree lol.

Reactions: 4
Work thing, I am not in right frame of mind for it and just quietly left. I doubt anyone will even notice Im not there. Makes me feel quite crap.

• Heart
  • Sad
Are you working with my ex colleague? 😂

• Haha
When someone slams me on an email and copies multiple people, but when I provide evidence I did it correctly and complete a task for that person she only sends the "thank you" email to me. So, insult me in front of everyone but thank me privately. 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 18
It just hit me, managers are the equivalent of landlords at work. They don't want to do their *job*. They lie and make up tit. Similar to landlords blaming renters. They want praise for the bare minimum. They'll bother everyone on their day off because someone called in. The manager couldn't possibly fill in like they're suppose to so they'd rather bother others.

I honestly feel like I'm just not cut out for work. I can't stand their constant BS. I can't hold in my thoughts when they think it's okay to be snarky. Even my parents wouldn't act this way. Wtf makes them think they can??!

I'm hoping this is just a low IQ thing. I really hope once I switch to a job that requires at least a Masters, there will be less BS.... I know it's likely similar though

Reactions: 2

Although, I always smile when my colleague those this as I know she is responding to a particular team who are renowned for being a shower of incompetent clowns. She never hammers the keyboard at any other time.

In fact, I dread it when she is away as I must cover for her and end up hammering my keyboard as I deal with the dumb questions from people who have been there for years yet still ask "What letter comes after C in the alphabet?" type questions.

It just hit me, managers are the equivalent of landlords at work. They don't want to do their *job*. They lie and make up tit. Similar to landlords blaming renters. They want praise for the bare minimum. They'll bother everyone on their day off because someone called in. The manager couldn't possibly fill in like they're suppose to so they'd rather bother others.

I honestly feel like I'm just not cut out for work. I can't stand their constant BS. I can't hold in my thoughts when they think it's okay to be snarky. Even my parents wouldn't act this way. Wtf makes them think they can??!

I'm hoping this is just a low IQ thing. I really hope once I switch to a job that requires at least a Masters, there will be less BS.... I know it's likely similar though
I work alongside managers who have high IQs, PhDs etc, they are just as bad at being awful landlord type managers, trust me.

Sometimes i wish I had an entrepreneurial spirit because working for myself sounds like a better option, but i am no Sir Alan Sugar and I hate uncertainty ha ha

Reactions: 6
My office is pretty good really and it's dawned on me one of the big reasons why - no team meetings. They just wreck me.
I do empathise but our place feels like it’s falling apart without team meetings to keep us together 🤦🏽‍♀️ There are two big teams in the dept. One is busy, happy and thriving. The other is threadbare, dank and can hear the clock ticking from 9-5. Guess which one I’m in? 🫣 The nice team talk to each other and are all up to date on things. In ours we only find out what’s happening in general IRL chat with whoever is in that day. The fact that people are leaving or on long term sick is indicative of the atmosphere, but worst of all we only find out after the fact!! I don’t need details, god forbid, but we need to know to E.g. pick up work if a colleague is literally signed off by their GP rather that has taken a long tea break. It has been ongoing for years, but so much worse since a decent senior left for an internal promotion and none of the others give a tit, and the most experienced one is unapproachable*. The nice team make awkward poor-you faces at us. And they are smart/evil - they sent an annoying team member to us as they couldn’t bear their behaviour. Left it to our leaders to demote them, which led to them getting signed off 🙄

* and has been complained about several times but has been there since the 90s and untouchable

** lovely and generous soul, diagnosed ND and can’t stop talking really loudly

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.