Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We had someone who would go off sick in about April/May and then return about October time for 2-3 years running. Nice if you can be paid to sunbathe in your garden while the rest pick up your work! Only stopped when we had a new boss who has a HR background and oddly the summers off ended! Funny that
Worked with someone, not directly with her, thankfully, who managed a whole summer off like that.
Had asked for unpaid leave but it wasn't granted because of team workload. Took off sick for the time instead and returned tanned. A known skiver with a great sense of self-importance.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
I don’t know how people skive off for months at a time like you’re all describing. I wouldn’t have the neck for it. Was only talking to someone recently about pretty much feeling like I can’t leave the house if I’ve a sick day - I’m obviously built wrong 🤣

Reactions: 6
I don’t know how people skive off for months at a time like you’re all describing. I wouldn’t have the neck for it. Was only talking to someone recently about pretty much feeling like I can’t leave the house if I’ve a sick day - I’m obviously built wrong 🤣
Agreed!! I think it’s cause it was drilled into me as a kid “if you’re too ill for school, then you’re too ill do anything besides watch tv on the sofa”. some people clearly were not raised that way 😂

Reactions: 9
My colleague is utterly shameless about it. She even had the audacity to complain to me about another colleague who is on reduced hours due to an injury saying how dreadful it is that other people have to do his work for him.

Reactions: 6
The one I mentioned was an absolute dose.
Her colleagues were probably glad of the peace but they had to pick up the slack.

She is the only one I ever knew who did anything like that.
Most people wouldn't dream of doing it.

Reactions: 2
Deleted for fear of outing.

But I wish there was a way to bat off "well meaning" advice from colleagues 😖

Reactions: 4
Deleted for fear of outing.

But I wish there was a way to bat off "well meaning" advice from colleagues 😖
'Thank you' and then ignoring anything they've said tends to be the most useful thing in y experience - they get to wander off feeling all pleased with themselves, you get some peace.

Latest advice to colleagues - don't lie in front of the big boss. People communicate, you know. And some of us are clearly more honest than you.

• Heart
We had someone who would go off sick in about April/May and then return about October time for 2-3 years running. Nice if you can be paid to sunbathe in your garden while the rest pick up your work! Only stopped when we had a new boss who has a HR background and oddly the summers off ended! Funny that
I know someone that did this every time their yearly review was due 😬😬👀👀 missed it every year for absolutely ages! Wtf!

I know someone who went off sick. Had 2 holidays whilst off sick and then came back and took their annual leave as if they hadn’t had enough time off 🙃 and yet we had to work even harder and got nothing for it 🙃

• Wow
I know someone who went off sick. Had 2 holidays whilst off sick and then came back and took their annual leave as if they hadn’t had enough time off 🙃 and yet we had to work even harder and got nothing for it 🙃
How long were they off sick for cause I mean, being off sick is not really the same as being on annual leave 😅 I'd definitely be taking my holidays even if I was sick before that

I worked with someone whose schedule was supposed to be 6:00 am to 2:30 pm. Every day she had some kind of "appointment" so she would wander in around 10:30 am. Then promptly at 2:30 she'd say "quittin' time!" in a singsong voice and leave. I did payroll and noticed she put her full 40 hours on her time card. I asked the manager what I should to. He paused, then said "just give her the full 40 hours". He said he didn't want to deal with any hassle.
So why again was I bothering to work my full week when I could have been getting paid for 40 hours while only working 20??

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
It certainly is astonishing what some people get away with.

I feel guilty after posting about Mr Slob (who I'm now going to call Mr Next-Desk-Over) the other day. Yesterday, while the usual suspects were wasting time, he was head down, bum up (so to speak), focusing on what he was doing. I didn't see him stop all morning, soI asked him if I could grab him a coffee while I was out getting one and he looked shocked, before telling me it's the first time anyone has ever offered him anything or spoken to him about anything other than work. That made me sad. After work when we all headed off to drinks I noticed he stayed behind so I grabbed one of the nice guys from my office and suggested that we go back and get him, which he thought was a good idea. Mr Next-Desk-Over was clearly happy at the gesture, albeit very nervous about coming. After a couple of drinks he was fine though, and when I left he was having great banter with a couple of the guys.

This workplace is very cliquey as it is, so anyone who's a bit different must find it a nightmare to work in. I hope MNDO feels a bit happier about coming to work in future.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
It certainly is astonishing what some people get away with.

I feel guilty after posting about Mr Slob (who I'm now going to call Mr Next-Desk-Over) the other day. Yesterday, while the usual suspects were wasting time, he was head down, bum up (so to speak), focusing on what he was doing. I didn't see him stop all morning, soI asked him if I could grab him a coffee while I was out getting one and he looked shocked, before telling me it's the first time anyone has ever offered him anything or spoken to him about anything other than work. That made me sad. After work when we all headed off to drinks I noticed he stayed behind so I grabbed one of the nice guys from my office and suggested that we go back and get him, which he thought was a good idea. Mr Next-Desk-Over was clearly happy at the gesture, albeit very nervous about coming. After a couple of drinks he was fine though, and when I left he was having great banter with a couple of the guys.

This workplace is very cliquey as it is, so anyone who's a bit different must find it a nightmare to work in. I hope MNDO feels a bit happier about coming to work in future.
Aww, @Black.bird, that was so nice of you! If this were a film he would get together with the quiet girl in Accounts.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
We’ve got a useless one on a project I’m on and nothing is being done because it’s less hassle. I can see from other comments that this is depressingly common. I’ve stopped informing his manager now as I’m worried I’ll be seen as being “negative”.

I worked with someone whose schedule was supposed to be 6:00 am to 2:30 pm. Every day she had some kind of "appointment" so she would wander in around 10:30 am. Then promptly at 2:30 she'd say "quittin' time!" in a singsong voice and leave. I did payroll and noticed she put her full 40 hours on her time card. I asked the manager what I should to. He paused, then said "just give her the full 40 hours". He said he didn't want to deal with any hassle.
So why again was I bothering to work my full week when I could have been getting paid for 40 hours while only working 20??

I spent 2 years working in a local government office. In my time there, our supposed manager rarely did a full week of work. She would never be in on a Monday or Tuesday, might do a Wednesday afternoon, would turn up mid-morning on Thursday as we got paid in the afternoon, and then either skip Friday or else come in mid-morning and spend the day out and about doing her shopping before taking it all home mid-afternoon in a taxi on the work account.

She could never understand why people got upset when she docked their pay for being half an hour late because "rules are rules." yet her own pay was never docked nor was she ever sanctioned over her non-attendance.

Reactions: 3
I worked in a company where if you had been there for x amount of time you could pretty much do what you wanted.
There were 3 on my team, they were supposed to take a 30 minute lunch so they could leave 30 minutes early. They took longer breaks than the rest of us. They would also log off and sit at their desk with coats on from 4 o'clock and leave at 420 not 430. So again taking more time off from rest of us.
One of them was in a very minor car crash on way to work. So obviously was off for few days.
She claimed her back was really bad and no way she could sit in a car for an hour to get to work.
She was able to handle a plane journey for 6 hours though as she had to go away to get better.
She was out for 6 months and admitted there was nothing wrong with her she was just trying to get a bigger insurance claim.
She came back on the dot of 6 months off and her first task was to put in for 4 weeks holiday.
She was very unhappy to find out she was actually only entitled to half a day paid leave as she had gone sick first week of the year and hadnt worked up any time.
She tried to get the rest of us to back her up and go to management on her behalf. Nope we had been doing your work for 6 months as well as our own.
She ended up taking unpaid leave as they had already booked the holiday.

Being lazy seems more commonplace than just doing the job.

I used to work at one office that still had a clocking in machine. There were several who’d turn up at 8am sharp, clock in, and then go to the loos to do their make up, get coffee and breakfast from the coffee bar etc then come back to their desk to start work at 9am when the boss arrived.

Reactions: 9
We're launching a new ERP system at work in October and currently in User Acceptance testing stage. I've just checked my emails and I've been scheduled to take part in meetings related to the testing of the system Mon-Fri, week commencing 19th June.
I work part time, 3 days a week. :sneaky:

Being lazy seems more commonplace than just doing the job.

I used to work at one office that still had a clocking in machine. There were several who’d turn up at 8am sharp, clock in, and then go to the loos to do their make up, get coffee and breakfast from the coffee bar etc then come back to their desk to start work at 9am when the boss arrived.
That really annoys me.
It’s like school kids who wander in at 9.00. In my day, if school started at 9.00 that meant at your desk,book open, pen in hand.
I was the same at work. Started at 8.00 got there early, made coffee, logged on to start at 8.00, got annoyed at those who came in at 8.00 , made coffee and porridge and ate that before logging on, then phoned their Mum, friends….

Reactions: 7
Same here - I’m always 15 minutes to half an hour early.
Time to login, make a coffee, sort out my stuff, look through what I’m doing work wise, and have a quick hello with whoever is in.
By the time I’ve done all that I’m starting work at roughly the time I should be.
Others that do this claim the overtime for it!! I wouldn’t have the front to, but that’s probably more fool me!

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.