Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love when one of the managers replies to an email I sent six weeks ago, scolding me because "we discussed this in our meeting yesterday!". Well, yeah, I sent that email six weeks ago! If she bothered to actually read her emails sooner than six weeks after they were sent she wouldn't be wasting time responding to outdated questions.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Have you ever had to read an email or document like 5 times because it is just so shockingly written and nonsensical that you genuinely question how that person managed to even write it.
Yep, daily. Long bulky texts with poor grammar and spelling.

Reactions: 2
Have a colleague who starts work a couple of hours before I do. Don’t see each other often, perhaps three times a week maximum. I turn up and she hands over to me anything done by the overnight team that she signs off on, then I crack on with my day on my own.

WITHOUT FAIL, as I’m walking through quietly saying hello to people on calls and doing the old “hi you fine, yeah I’m fine thanks” small talk, let’s call her R…. WITHOUT FAIL immediately starts moaning about something. No hello, no how are you, an instant moan about her journey to work / someone in accounts / her phone / dog / boyfriend / what was on tv last night.

R is bleeping EXHAUSTING and it puts a real dampener on my first 5 minutes in the office.

Rant over 🤣

Reactions: 5
Just finished work and all my colleagues fucked off without me! I was only 2 mins late and the reason for that was because I was in the kitchen cleaning everyone else's cups and cutlery that had been left in the sink :mad: fuming

• Angry
Just finished work and all my colleagues fucked off without me! I was only 2 mins late and the reason for that was because I was in the kitchen cleaning everyone else's cups and cutlery that had been left in the sink :mad: fuming
Oh that’s a rotten thing to do to a workmate. I’ve had that happen to me and I was raging. Lazy so and so’s.
---
I’m new to this thread and just having a read through. I started my first office job in 1975 and, although ways of working and technology etc have changed beyond recognition in my working life, some of the rotten things colleagues do to others sadly seem to be a theme. Two weeks ago I finally retired and I’m so glad I don’t have to put up with this sort of thing any longer (not boasting about being retired at all - just feel sad that people can still be so mean through the decades).

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
We have a manager that sends emails with poor grammar and spelling mistakes. Like awfully and these go out to customers. Not only that she’s sent it out at home so past working hours!
I also got out late today because same manager doesn’t understand time management and finishing off what we need to do get out on time half an hour early! When she isn’t in we always get out on time so I have no idea what she does but it’s so annoying! 😒

Reactions: 4
Some people's office hygiene is vile.

I worked at a client site for a bit a few years ago and sat next to a guy who never, ever washed his cup - he would just make hot drinks in it over and over again. He also used to store his gym gear under his desk and it smelt vile.

Other people would leave bowls in the sink filled with water and a lot of food scraps that were floating to the surface - I mean, who even does that?!

The ladies' toilets were always something else. Most of the women were impeccably groomed, yet the way they left the toilets - paper on the floor, water everywhere - on the counters, the mirror, the floor - was shocking. The company (very generously!) supplied hairdryers and hair straighteners which were hard-wired into the wall; within weeks they were broken.
---
Another pet hate from my office days - when you sit around all day waiting for something to come through from someone that absolutely has to be dealt with that day (this usually happened when I was working on proposals), and it comes through just minutes before you're due to finish.

For some people it's because work is their life and they're happy to drag things out and work all night; but for those of us with a life it simply isn't on. It was usually managers who did this, and it sometimes felt as if they were doing it to remind you who's boss.

• Sick
Reactions: 11
Not so much an annoyance to do with work colleagues, but one for anyone who uses an Authenticator app when logging into work remotely...

Whenever I get to the screen to enter the code and I open the Authenticator app, so often the code is about to change - so I either quickly try and enter the 6 digits before they vanish, or I sit and wait for them to change.

I know it's a minor thing but considering the code only changes every 30 seconds, it's annoying that it almost always wants to refresh right at the time I want to enter it. 🤣 It can't just be me can it?

Not so much an annoyance to do with work colleagues, but one for anyone who uses an Authenticator app when logging into work remotely...

Whenever I get to the screen to enter the code and I open the Authenticator app, so often the code is about to change - so I either quickly try and enter the 6 digits before they vanish, or I sit and wait for them to change.

I know it's a minor thing but considering the code only changes every 30 seconds, it's annoying that it almost always wants to refresh right at the time I want to enter it. 🤣 It can't just be me can it?
We use that but it comes up on the work laptop (after entering password and username for the vpn) with a 2 digit number and that has to be entered on the authenticator and then have to approve with fingerprint. Yours sounds very annoying!

Reactions: 1
We use that but it comes up on the work laptop (after entering password and username for the vpn) with a 2 digit number and that has to be entered on the authenticator and then have to approve with fingerprint. Yours sounds very annoying!
Mine comes via a text so I think I get three minutes. I still find it annoying but I get why they do it as my company does government work.

Reactions: 2
We've got the Authenticator coming in over the next two weeks. I refuse to use my personal mobile for anything work related, think it's so cheeky to expect it of us all! If they want me to use a mobile phone for something, then they should provide me with one.

Reactions: 10
Work WhatsApp groups. No thanks. If I'm at work, I'm at work and available at my desk/phone/email.

If I'm not at work, then I'm not being paid to think about work. Go away :ROFLMAO:

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Our work WhatsApp has lots of people in who have left the firm but not the WhatsApp so we're all terrified to use it in case we reveal trade secrets but everyone is to polite to remove the leavers 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
We've got the Authenticator coming in over the next two weeks. I refuse to use my personal mobile for anything work related, think it's so cheeky to expect it of us all! If they want me to use a mobile phone for something, then they should provide me with one.
We have to use our personal phones to even submit an IT ticket. They recently changed the system to require authentication. Oh, and also to refer someone for a position opening.

Reactions: 1
I have someone at work that posts stuff about her sport in our workapp all the time. about the world championship, games interviews etc.
Today again, something stupid about an interview she gave. I really don’t care, and it is not about work so shut up!!!

Reactions: 3
Our work uses an authentication app, luckily you pair your phone with it and it sends a push notification, all I have to do is “approve” it, rather than have to put a code or password in. It’s the Duo one. We have to use our own phones though.

Oh, and I refuse to download Teams onto my phone. Other colleagues have it on their phone and start leaving chats after hours for us to pick up when we get in, I don’t want to be notified out of hours, so I don’t have it on my phone. I want to preserve that boundary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Our work WhatsApp has lots of people in who have left the firm but not the WhatsApp so we're all terrified to use it in case we reveal trade secrets but everyone is to polite to remove the leavers 😂
When I left my last job, the manager (who I had a feeling didn't like me at all) removed me from the WhatsApp group the second I finished my last day. I finished at 5pm and by 5.01pm I had been removed. He was one of the pettiest people I had ever met... 🤣
---

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
Work WhatsApp groups. No thanks. If I'm at work, I'm at work and available at my desk/phone/email.

If I'm not at work, then I'm not being paid to think about work. Go away :ROFLMAO:
At my last office job we had an absolute control freak whose sole intent seemed to be to make other peoples' lives miserable.

When a new staff member joined, she told them they were to have their phone on silent when in the office. As a result, she missed important messages sent via WhatsApp. That was annoying in itself, that people were using WhatsApp when they were all in the office! It's all well and good having all these various messaging systems, but surely common sense has to play a part ... if you're all in the office and you work in a small team, go and talk to each other!

----------

I'm annoyed with the lady who worked the late shift in this coffee cart last night. She's moved everything that was on the left, to the right; and everything that was on the right, to the left. She also called our telco to get the ordering text messages sent to her phone - meaning they didn't come through to the cart phone this morning. This is the second time she's called the telco to do this - not only is it unauthorised (we would never agree to this!), but it costs money. I told her off the first time, and thought we were on the same page but now she's done it again I'm going to have to issue a warning. I hate being the bad guy! The moving of everything around isn't such a big deal but there's no clear reason for it.

• Wow
I've said this one before, but it needs saying again. People who book meetings in when my diary clearly shows I've already got a meeting.

It's getting to the point where I think one colleague in particular is doing it deliberately. He's put in a 30 minute meeting on Thursday with me and one other person and it's over another meeting. I've checked and all three of us are free several times throughout the day, but no, he's picked one of the few times we're not.

So it's either deliberate, or he's too stupid to even check availability. Neither one is good.

It's taking me a lot of effort not to send him a snotty message. I'm not going to rise to it, though. 😂

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.