Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
“Did you have a nice lunch”? Ugh shut up I just shoved some itsu into my gob and read tattle
“Doing anything nice this evening”? I’d tell you if I was and it would interest you, most working people’s evenings are boring esp if hours are long

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Heck, that sounds awful!

I was hoping that I'd come into this thread today and see a range of handy tips for getting rid of our problematic customer visitor (she never buys anything)!
Don't make eye contact and give one word answers. Focus on talking to paying customers.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Not a colleague, but we have a visitor who comes and tells us her life story every morning. She doesn't read social cues very well - she'll stand front and centre at the cart ranting while queues form, and you can't interrupt her because she just talks over the top. A couple of our staff have had problems moving her on and her antics are costing our business (customers expect to be served quickly, and rightly so).

When she came along while I was on the other day, I did just talk over the top of her and asked the next person in line what they would like which prompted them to move forward; she still carried on talking but eventually got the message and wandered off. Another time I said to her - before she started talking (I got in first - ha!) that if she didn't want to buy anything (she never has) then I wouldn't have time to talk today because we're very busy ... at that, she grunted and wandered off.

The staff members who have complained about not being able to move her on have tried the same tactics as I have, but they haven't worked. I don't really know what else we can do to get rid of her though - you can't trespass someone for being annoying, and it's public property that we're on (Council-owned; we pay a monthly rental for the spot).
Put a sign up saying ‘customer area only’
Point to sign, and directly tell the person to move aside if they are not buying anything. If they won’t stop talking put your hand up (in ‘stop’ fashion). Maybe this person needs direct communication rather than pussyfooting around the problem 🙈 although, I totally understand how hard it is, it feels rude to be direct a lot of the time!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Coworker whose identity revolves around their job. They always start a convo related to a personal topic with: “because I’m (insert profession)”.

Reactions: 5
Passive aggressive email responses where they start to just use your name instead of “Hi no-no”. Who are you talking to 😤 So many people not doing their job, either it’s laziness or they’re out of their depth, but it’s getting ridiculous now. I need a brew.

Reactions: 8
I have a huge bandaid on my face and felt self-conscious during a (non work related) presentation my team gave in front of 50 people, so I had my camera off. I wasn’t a speaker as the presentation was given by one person only. Apparently they did not like it that I didn’t have my camera on.

I’m sorry but I felt uncomfortable with this thing on my face. I wasn’t even a speaker anyway but I was in the office. I honestly don’t see the big deal especially as people were looking at the screen being shared, not people’s faces.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I have a huge bandaid on my face and felt self-conscious during a (non work related) presentation my team gave in front of 50 people, so I had my camera off. I wasn’t a speaker as the presentation was given by one person only. Apparently they did not like it that I didn’t have my camera on.

I’m sorry but I felt uncomfortable with this thing on my face. I wasn’t even a speaker anyway but I was in the office. I honestly don’t see the big deal especially as people were looking at the screen being shared, not people’s faces.
So sorry glossy, I think this is not the company for you. Even after your move you still sound unhappy, have you considered a move to another company? Would that be possible?Life is waaay too short to go to work with crappy people for the majority of the week! Sending hugs xx

Reactions: 13
Passive aggressive email responses where they start to just use your name instead of “Hi no-no”. Who are you talking to 😤 So many people not doing their job, either it’s laziness or they’re out of their depth, but it’s getting ridiculous now. I need a brew.
My manager does this. He’s a useless sack of tit and so unbelievably immature. His wife hasn’t long had a baby and he sleeps in a separate room to her and the baby so his sleep doesn’t get interrupted. Absolute c***.

Hope he fucks off in the next year. He’s crap and doesn’t give the team any direction, then moans when we aren’t being creative and just churning work out. Lol, it’s your bleeping job to shape stuff, hole.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
My manager does this. He’s a useless sack of tit and so unbelievably immature. His wife hadn’t long had a baby and he sleeps in a separate room to he and the baby so his sleep doesn’t get interrupted. Absolute c***.

Hope he fucks off in the next year. He’s crap and doesn’t give the team any direction, then moans when we aren’t being creative and just churning work out. Lol, it’s your bleeping job to shape stuff, hole.
Wow, he sounds awful all-round! How crap for your team (and the wife). It must be in the “deflect from how tit I am” rule book. I had to really bite my tongue this morning, I don’t mind if it’s their usual writing style but when it comes mid-email chain I’m like…

1678311330708.gif

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Wow, he sounds awful all-round! How crap for your team (and the wife). It must be in the “deflect from how tit I am” rule book. I had to really bite my tongue this morning, I don’t mind if it’s their usual writing style but when it comes mid-email chain I’m like…

View attachment 2014476
I definitely think it’s a case of them being threatened. And if your situation is anything like mine, they add a ‘hi *insert name here* in the mix for everyone else. Idiot doesn’t realise I have folders and it’s all just ammo at the end of the day. I also tend not to reply to the emails anymore if I can and just archive them. He can swivel. If asked outlook “self-archived them”.

I’m not the only one who has noticed in my team. It’s crap tbh. I’ve had members of the team who come up to me and are like “you know more than him etc” and “how is he the manager, we don’t even know him/you're more impactful/you give better advice”.

The only thing I did with all this information was took it to the head of the team to secure myself a pay rise so that the gap between my pay and his isn’t anywhere near as much as it was. Still doesn’t resolve anything though.

Hope your situation gets better. Sod ‘em, don’t let the bastards grind you down and all that 💖

• Heart
Reactions: 3
So sorry glossy, I think this is not the company for you. Even after your move you still sound unhappy, have you considered a move to another company? Would that be possible?Life is waaay too short to go to work with crappy people for the majority of the week! Sending hugs xx
Thank you❤

I’m not going to lie, I feel I can’t really be myself in this team.

The work is a bit more interesting than in my previous team, the work-life balance has improved, but I’m only operating at 40% of who I truly am. I feel I’m walking on eggshells all the time.

I’ve been thinking it’s because it’s a new team and I need to adjust, but I’m not so sure now. Part of me feels like I’m the problem, but another part of me thinks the company culture as a whole is not for me.
With my skill-set, there are a lot of companies where I could earn a bit more, certainly.

• Heart

I don’t put my camera on most of the time. There’s always some hole that pipes up and asks me to put it on and I just say no thank you, I’m keeping it off.
I cba putting my camera on and shouldn’t feel pressured into it. They can see my face when I’m in the office. I just feel that after having it on for the past 3 years, I’m bleeping over it. It’s my house, my home and I’m fed up letting strangers on a work call have a glimpse into my home.
I want to keep it separate as much as possible

• Heart
Reactions: 15
My manager always writes in code, never straight forward and you always have to email again to work out what they want! Pretty sure it's a power move.

Cameras at company events, especially when they’re all about food, activities etc :) My work had cupcakes for International Women’s Day yesterday and HR wandered around getting pics of people eating/with bits of cupcakes shoved in their mouth and posted them on the Slack channel. Just get a pic of the table and everyone smiling!

• Haha
Speaking of emails, and words or phrases used - I worked with a bully a couple of years ago. He was the head of our team, unfortunately.

He used to end emails with 'Tks' and to this day I shudder if I see it on an email or a text, because of him. 😡

One of my frequent customers (coffee cart) started a new job this week and she received a telling off for leaving the office to buy a coffee mid-
I once had this in a previous job when one of the petty directors complained in an email that we came back from lunch 10 minutes late. I replied that I'd consider his words whilst I worked my 3-4 hours unpaid overtime I was doing at the weekend. Nothing was ever said again... :)

Reactions: 8
Once again today, WFH this time, and I was told “You have your camera off again lol”. Again, a non-work related meeting where we were preparing a festive thing. I had to say in a joking but non joking way “I have a bandaid on my face, unless y’all want to see it?!”.

Enough with people crossing boundaries.

I always put my camera on normally. This is a rare I occurrence. Deal with it.

I once had this in a previous job when one of the petty directors complained in an email that we came back from lunch 10 minutes late. I replied that I'd consider his words whilst I worked my 3-4 hours unpaid overtime I was doing at the weekend. Nothing was ever said again... :)
It's extraordinary how some gobshites cannot see the harm they do with a comment like that. People will give more, imo, when they are treated like adults, not children with their every move watched.

One company I worked in, a senior manager whose office overlooked the carpark used to comment regularly on the times people left and arrived. We were mostly on the road and there was a bit of give and take as regards starting and finishing times.

Nobody gave him any heed but I used to vaguely wonder how he had so little to do that he could monitor the carpark. Idiot.

Oh yes, I've definitely had that same experience!

In my client's case, she left and returned to the office within her allotted break, so what is the issue? Her new employers must think they own her as that time comes out of their pocket. It's not an issue during lunch, when she's supposedly off the clock but ends up working through most days because she's so busy.

Have you ever had to read an email or document like 5 times because it is just so shockingly written and nonsensical that you genuinely question how that person managed to even write it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.