Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Iā€™m on a training and the instructor is like ā€œI will give you FOUR minutes beak only because weā€™re lateā€.

Like not 5, but FOUR. I canā€™t stop laughing because it is ridiculous. Weā€™re late - whose fault is that lol. Yours buddy.

I just canā€™t right now.
He said we had to take a four minute break because we were ā€œlateā€ but we ended up finishing the training one hour early. How were we late then?! Absolute nonsense.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
When I get an email notifiction pop up, and it starts with just my name rather than a greeting, eg:

Jane,
Please could you...

Rather than

Hi Jane,
Please could you...

It just feels condescending to me. It has a very slight passiveā€aggressive touch to it. Makes me anxious and not want to read it.
I actually quite like this.

Reactions: 2
Breakout rooms are definitely annoying! Most trainers operate on the idea that group activities are always beneficial. Sometimes they are, but they can also be pointless, especially if they're used too frequently. I find most trainers underestimate how long some of the tasks will take, and can sometimes get irritable if trainees don't finish on time.

My annoyance for the day: a lazy colleague who clearly isn't right for the role. I'm hoping he realises it himself before too long and resigns (like the last useless one we had) but I fear this one might not. Whenever I've been in the office with him, he doesn't even try to look busy and when WFH his Teams status is idle a lot more than it isn't. He also constantly uses "IT issues" as an excuse for being late, as though we're all thick. Dead wood really annoys me and just drags everyone down.

Reactions: 9
On the subject of training I hate the dreaded ice breaker. I don't want to tell the person next to me three interesting facts thanks. I've started making them up, much more interesting.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
On the subject of training I hate the dreaded ice breaker. I don't want to tell the person next to me three interesting facts thanks. I've started making them up, much more interesting.
At a workshop I was at this week we had to say one thing from our bucket list. What was clear was everyone needs a holiday šŸ¤£

It was so boring I have worked with 80% of the people in the room for years and I don't care what's on their bucket list.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
At a workshop I was at this week we had to say one thing from our bucket list. What was clear was everyone needs a holiday šŸ¤£

It was so boring I have worked with 80% of the people in the room for years and I don't care what's on their bucket list.
Would "an orgy" be an acceptable answer or is that not on

• Haha
Reactions: 15
The ubiquitous "pizza party" as a reward for hours and hours of hard work. At my previous company we worked five 11 hour shifts per week for two straight months to keep up with customer demand during the holiday season. And after it was over we got "hey, thanks for us being able to make hundreds of millions of dollars off of your extreme hard work and long hours! Here's a few $7 Domino's pizzas! Isn't it nice of us to do this for you??!!" Yeah, take your crappy cardboard pizza and shove it. How about a bonus on our paychecks, something that would actually do us some good? Oh, and as a reward for working 12 hours on Black Friday they gave us each a pumpkin pie. AFTER Thanksgiving. Thanks, jerks. šŸ™„

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
The ubiquitous "pizza party" as a reward for hours and hours of hard work. At my previous company we worked five 11 hour shifts per week for two straight months to keep up with customer demand during the holiday season. And after it was over we got "hey, thanks for us being able to make hundreds of millions of dollars off of your extreme hard work and long hours! Here's a few $7 Domino's pizzas! Isn't it nice of us to do this for you??!!" Yeah, take your crappy cardboard pizza and shove it. How about a bonus on our paychecks, something that would actually do us some good? Oh, and as a reward for working 12 hours on Black Friday they gave us each a pumpkin pie. AFTER Thanksgiving. Thanks, jerks. šŸ™„
We had a new computer system installed last year and we had to manually input all of our clients and all the stuff we do. So we worked early, late, weekends and Bank Holidays to get it done on time. We helped other departments out and I'm still the office "go to" for it all. Yet we didn't get any thanks. Not one word. No bonus or anything. I mean yes we got paid overtime got the extra hours but a bit of thanks or something wouldn't have gone amiss.

When we were short staffed a few years ago, those that helped out got a meal and overnight stay in a hotel paid for.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
Some of my colleagues are lazy work dodging gits. Theyā€™ll cherry pick the easy bits of work and leave the harder shittier work for others to pick up. Or theyā€™ll make a meal out of something and spend double the amount of time that it should take them to do a task. I literally have no idea how they can take so long to do things! Luckily my manager is well aware of this and is trying to put productivity type targets in place. Hopefully theyā€™ll have to start working harder otherwise theyā€™ll be disappointed when it comes to end of year reviews, bonuses and pay rises.
I just dropped one of my colleagues in it for cherry picking all the easiest pieces of work, after quietly fuming and worrying about it for ages. My boss is putting measures in place, so all good.

Dinners and frequent meet ups.

I honestly do like them but I've skipped the last three invites as they've been at restaurants late at night. I went along to something in Jan on a Friday. I did a shopping trip with two last Thursday. Someone said they were doing a lunch tomorrow at 3pm. I don't have an excuse except that I just don't want to go.

I've got my period and I'm always so much more tired. I really need my weekends to recover from the week. I want to stay at mine. Clean, sleep, watch Netflix and drink my coffee without the pressure of having to get ready and out the door.

I was feeling dread because I felt forced into going, before I realized that I always do have a choice. I can say no if it doesn't work for me despite how it might look.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
@rainbowlemon you can absolutely say no! šŸ¤ my work are pushing this ā€˜employee well-beingā€™ this year by organising activities and dinners outside of work hours. I havenā€™t gone to any and Iā€™ve openly said itā€™s because they wonā€™t let me work from home. Iā€™m not gonna commute in and out every day, sit in the office for 8 hours and then head to an activity and dinner with colleagues and not land home until 10pm. Thatā€™s not good for my well-being šŸ˜‚

• Heart
Reactions: 13
@rainbowlemon you can absolutely say no! šŸ¤ my work are pushing this ā€˜employee well-beingā€™ this year by organising activities and dinners outside of work hours. I havenā€™t gone to any and Iā€™ve openly said itā€™s because they wonā€™t let me work from home. Iā€™m not gonna commute in and out every day, sit in the office for 8 hours and then head to an activity and dinner with colleagues and not land home until 10pm. Thatā€™s not good for my well-being šŸ˜‚
I hate these compulsory enjoyment events.
You will join in! You will enjoy yourself!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
When you know how to do certain aspects of the job and save everyone time and effort to get an early finish but your know it all trying to impress each other colleagues want to do everything in a very over involved time consuming way to achieve the same result . We recently have a new batch of 20 somethings in my work place who know everything and yet seem to spend all day phoning their parents about any and every little problem whether at work or personal life . I just donā€™t get it I know people in their 20s who are married with kids yet the ones I work with seem to need micro managed and babied all day itā€™s so draining . They also canā€™t do anything alone everythingā€™s got to be arranged like they are at school and only booking training or meetings if they can go together .
this isnā€™t a dig at all 20 somethings itā€™s just these ones I work with seem so bloody immature to have the responsibility of making decisions about other peoples lives .

• Heart
Reactions: 12
My work are doing these ā€˜well being morningsā€™ every quater. You see other stores doing them and having a great time. You see us and all of us donā€™t even like our boss and we all hate being there šŸ˜‚šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø. Probably would be more enjoyable if we actually got a long as a full team.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I hate the following:

- Them: Do you need any help?
- Me: No, Iā€™m fine. Iā€™ll let you know if I need anything.
- Them: Are you sure?

Fir Godā€™s sake, Iā€™m a grown adult with close to a decade of work experience. Yes, Iā€™m sure.

Hate when people belittle you like this. I cannot believe they pinged me at 9am on a Friday to have an impromptu call just to tell me this (literally).

• Heart
Reactions: 6
The latest 'break the ice' fad is to tell two truths and a lie (with the audience guessing which is what) ... at the last one I went to, one person's lie was, "I'm really excited to be here" :LOL: šŸ¤­

The "team" dinners and get-togethers are awful if you don't want to be there or if you value your personal time, and sure you can say no, but it almost always reflects poorly on you if you don't go. I've gone along for just the first half hour of some which has been more than fine.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
The latest 'break the ice' fad is to tell two truths and a lie (with the audience guessing which is what) ... at the last one I went to, one person's lie was, "I'm really excited to be here" :LOL: šŸ¤­

The "team" dinners and get-togethers are awful if you don't want to be there or if you value your personal time, and sure you can say no, but it almost always reflects poorly on you if you don't go. I've gone along for just the first half hour of some which has been more than fine.
My sister did this!!

Her on the spot lies were that she was pregnant and doesnā€™t have a cat.

I honestly do feel like Iā€™ve come a long way since I first started saying ā€œnoā€ to doing things I donā€™t want to do. The last straw was going to the birthday party of someone I wasnā€™t even close to but my then best friends were.

The book the subtle art of not giving a fu*k was a good read. Thereā€™s only so many f**ks you can give and itā€™s tiring.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
The latest 'break the ice' fad is to tell two truths and a lie (with the audience guessing which is what) ... at the last one I went to, one person's lie was, "I'm really excited to be here" :LOL:
The best '2 truths and a lie' I heard was "I like you, John. I like you, Pauline. I like you, Steve"

šŸ’€

• Haha
Reactions: 21

I remember an induction i did for an office job we had to tell 1 really interesting fact about ourselves i am not good at speaking in front of 15 people i dont know as i was 12th out of 15 and all these really interesting things my mouth decided to say "I once went Goat herding in the nmountains of Peru" I think my brain disowned my mouth and went home, it impressed 1 or 2 but for some reason a few didnt believe it

• Haha
  • Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.