Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wow that's awkward. How come the office is at someone's home?
Post-Covid, they decided to get rid of the company's former offices in the town ... and decided they no longer needed a reception area, meeting rooms, etc. Most client meetings are held off-site. They've been working like this for over a year though - so if it's going to continue then surely they'd be considering adding a workers' toilet and kitchen area? I took my own water bottles and coffee in on the second day because I felt awkward walking through their home, but I still had to do that to use the toilet.

Reactions: 2
Lol yeah that's a bit of a reach. But to be fair with the cost of childcare, it probably works out better for them not to work the extra hours and pay for childcare 😅
I would say this too! Most part time mothers have a very well choreographed childcare/work balance so that they can actually come out with some £££ at the end of the month after childcare has been paid for. For me, 9/10 times I’m asked to work overtime, the extra childcare would cost more than I’d get paid for working because you generally get offered a few extra hours at work, but you have to pay your childcare provider the cost of a full day/half day, most places won’t let you pay by the hour. So for an extra 3 hours in the morning I’d earn £33, but it would cost me £70 to put my 2 kids in nursery for an extra morning.

Haha, you can tell I’m used to explaining this to managers 🙄 if you don’t have kids in childcare you wouldn’t know though!

Also, you generally can’t get extra hours at such short notice!

I actually hate this idea that because part time parents won’t work overtime they’re being lazy. The reality is, we would love the extra money, but it’s not attainable for us!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I would say this too! Most part time mothers have a very well choreographed childcare/work balance so that they can actually come out with some £££ at the end of the month after childcare has been paid for. For me, 9/10 times I’m asked to work overtime, the extra childcare would cost more than I’d get paid for working because you generally get offered a few extra hours at work, but you have to pay your childcare provider the cost of a full day/half day, most places won’t let you pay by the hour. So for an extra 3 hours in the morning I’d earn £33, but it would cost me £70 to put my 2 kids in nursery for an extra morning.

Haha, you can tell I’m used to explaining this to managers 🙄 if you don’t have kids in childcare you wouldn’t know though!

Also, you generally can’t get extra hours at such short notice!

I actually hate this idea that because part time parents won’t work overtime they’re being lazy. The reality is, we would love the extra money, but it’s not attainable for us!
Yesssss!
And to add... I'm lucky my childcare costs are low now thanks to 30 free hours. But I enjoy my time off with my kids on my nwd and don't want to give that up to work extra hours.
The insinuation that parents are poor and desperate for overtime and should be grateful for a few crumbs gets on my nerves.

• Heart
The place I'm contracting at has implemented a new policy whereby if you're working at a client site, you have to report in to the company's office before and after work.

It's a silly policy - workers are bound to get pulled into doing other (non-related) things as a result, and they'll spend less time at the client site given the heavy traffic they'll have to wade through to get to and from the other site.

It definitely sends the message that they don't trust their staff.

Oh, and they also took away the biscuits because the control freak Office Manager is on a diet and finds them triggering.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
When you email someone a question and they call you straight after. I get it's easier/quicker to speak on the phone but just reply to my email please.

Reactions: 10
When you email someone a question and they call you straight after. I get it's easier/quicker to speak on the phone but just reply to my email please.
Plus, in some cases, you might need an audit trail.

As an aside, I worked with a bully boy, and after one to one meetings I used to document in an email, to him, what we had agreed. Otherwise he would announce something completely contradictory and undermine me to others in the process - one of his many bullying tactics.

Reactions: 16
When you ask someone a question and they reply and then say 'might be good to check with XYZ'

No, I'm asking you as you should know the answer :rolleyes:

I second keeping an audit trail for flaky colleagues, they’ll not think twice about throwing you under the bus especially in a he-said, she-said scenario. Keep a record if you think there’ll be trouble down the line. One of my colleagues was accused of being ‘critical’ of her assistant when in reality (plain as day to the rest of us in the team) the assistant is an airhead who doesn’t listen to instructions or retain training information, so any nudge from my colleage to remind her of procedures has been taken as bullying :rolleyes: The assistant went crying to HR once but there was no proof of any issue, so it was decided they both carry on. My colleague makes sure now that every time she gives the assistant tasks/instructions, she says it in a sugary sweet manner (in earshot of others) and sends a round up email that week with the agreed tasks/priorities etc.

Reactions: 8
Years ago I was subject to some sexual harassment. Nothing physical, just comments, winking at me. I complained and after a load of hassle which really upset me and depressed me, the perpetrator agreed to move jobs as long as it was not on his record. I was so relieved I agreed.
Then I found out it had happened before to three other women he had worked with and all had agreed to the same terms that I did.
Learn from my experience. Keep a record and do not give in for a quiet life. For your sake and others.

Reactions: 7
Haha one time someone didn't know I was on the Teams call (stupid on her part because clearly, my name and photo were prominently displayed) and said that I had not been following the proper process. Keep in mind I had been doing this location a favor by helping out AND one of her co-workers had told me to do the task that way. I let her go on, then I popped up and said "well, since S says I'm not following the proper process I probably shouldn't be doing this task". Listening to her try to backpedal and apologize over and over was hilarious. She obviously had no idea I was there. She spent the next several weeks apologizing. Hysterical.

Reactions: 5
My client is new to New Zealand and doesn't observe our public holidays. I'm not actually sure that's legal but anyway ....

I turned up to their site this morning and was asked why I didn't come in yesterday. "Because it was ANZAC Day," I responded, adding that I told them when I left the office on Monday that I would see them Wednesday.

I've now been stood down, pending their investigation. I'm honestly too old for this tit. I am a professional worker who will always go the extra mile so to call my 'conduct' into question is ridiculous. The client manager back at the office said they did the same thing on Good Friday and Easter Monday with a colleague, which is why they sent a new person (me) along to do the work this time. The client manager said not to worry, and just take today off.

*Most* companies take the entire day off on ANZAC Day, but retail is allowed to open from 1pm onwards. This is not a retail organisation; it's an office set up at someone's home. I'm just waiting for them to ask why I didn't come in at 1pm ...

I'm only doing this contract job as a favour to a friend - I cannot wait to go back to my coffee cart!

My client is new to New Zealand and doesn't observe our public holidays. I'm not actually sure that's legal but anyway ....

I turned up to their site this morning and was asked why I didn't come in yesterday. "Because it was ANZAC Day," I responded, adding that I told them when I left the office on Monday that I would see them Wednesday.

I've now been stood down, pending their investigation. I'm honestly too old for this tit. I am a professional worker who will always go the extra mile so to call my 'conduct' into question is ridiculous. The client manager back at the office said they did the same thing on Good Friday and Easter Monday with a colleague, which is why they sent a new person (me) along to do the work this time. The client manager said not to worry, and just take today off.

*Most* companies take the entire day off on ANZAC Day, but retail is allowed to open from 1pm onwards. This is not a retail organisation; it's an office set up at someone's home. I'm just waiting for them to ask why I didn't come in at 1pm ...

I'm only doing this contract job as a favour to a friend - I cannot wait to go back to my coffee cart!
I'm based in the UK so things might be different, but my company don't follow bank holidays, so I can't just take the day off because 'most of the country do'. Surely holiday allowances would be outlined in your contract? I would expect a discussion on conduct if I just didn't turn up to work 🤷‍♀️

• Wow
My new manager told us we would agree on days to come into the office ti make sure it suits everyone. However, it has now turned into them demanding we come into the office on the days they choose based on their own flexibility. Those days don’t necessarily suit me.

This is going to get old really fast because the days are not the same every week and they’re mainly dependent on what suits them personally which is not fair.

• Sad
My new manager told us we would agree on days to come into the office ti make sure it suits everyone. However, it has now turned into them demanding we come into the office on the days they choose based on their own flexibility. Those days don’t necessarily suit me.

This is going to get old really fast because the days are not the same every week and they’re mainly dependent on what suits them personally which is not fair.
This happened to me, I got a promotion and was told I only need to be in the office 2 days a week but every week the days change. I also seem to be down to cover reception a lot and I’m a senior staff member so it’s not a good use of my time when the receptionist is WFH (how does that work??). My manager swans in at 10am and seems to wfh on a Friday so all good fun

• Wow
My boss has recently developed a habit of leaving me ‘in charge’ of the office whenever he goes on holiday. I’m writing it as ‘in charge’ because that’s how it gets messaged to me.

My pay doesn’t increase, but my workload and responsibilities do? My colleagues then all try to pressure me into early finishes, but I’m the one who would get in the neck if he came back and I just said “yeah we all took the afternoon off”. He then has the nerve to complain when I request a holiday day, even though he’s on his 5th holiday of the year already, and has even suggested he gives me a calendar with days marked that I simply can’t take holiday on because of my workload that he’s already admitted is too much for one person.

I’ve also got another work colleague who keeps barking about Andrew Tate and constantly trying to show me videos of him ‘making good points’… 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 9
I'm based in the UK so things might be different, but my company don't follow bank holidays, so I can't just take the day off because 'most of the country do'. Surely holiday allowances would be outlined in your contract? I would expect a discussion on conduct if I just didn't turn up to work 🤷‍♀️
My contract clearly states what days are considered public holidays (ANZAC Day was one). The issue isn't with my conduct; it's that my clients refuse to acknowledge NZ customs and public holidays, as well as Christian holidays (which they've been quite outspoken about). This is not an industry such as hospitality, retail or service centre where one might be expected to work even though it's a public holiday.

Anyway, it's not going to be an issue anymore as when this all happened yesterday (and before yesterday, at Easter), it raised a few red flags. The CSM looked into a few things and discovered the client is in breach of the service contract for a couple of other reasons - so, all work for them is being paused. Interestingly, the service contract also clearly states what days resources will not be made available to do the work, with ANZAC Day clearly stated. ANZAC Day is a huge deal for NZers and Australians and it's extremely important and close to the hearts of many to stop and think of those who sacrificed their lives for us. I, like many Kiwis, spend the day at a dawn memorial service, then volunteer at the RSA for the remainder of the day (usually serving up meals to the soldiers who are still with us, and listening to their stories).

Today has brought about a complete 180 ... the sun is shining, everyone seems in a good mood, and I've been tasked with spending my final week in this contract in the office, working on something I really enjoy. They've asked me to stay on indefinitely which is flattering - and they've become a lot more friendly than they were when I first started - but I still want to go back to just relieving in my businesses when needed, and working on strategy stuff that benefits me (and my business partner).

• Heart
I’m always slightly wary of someone I know reading here and working out who I am, so I’m being careful about what I say here.
But my team leader is honestly the most pedantic, control freakish, absolutely inept manager of time and process that I have ever, ever come across 😡
As a result of this, I achieved next to nothing yesterday through being sent on useless, fools errands whilst piles of work were growing ever higher.
This then led to a mad panic later in the day about how it was all going to get done.
I’ve tried to gently point out that we’re not working effectively but they closed me down.
I’ll be doing exactly what I’m asked to do from now on; no extra hours, and forgetting about the place completely once I’m home.
I’m not getting paid anywhere near enough for crappy days like yesterday 😡

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
I’m always slightly wary of someone I know reading here and working out who I am, so I’m being careful about what I say here.
But my team leader is honestly the most pedantic, control freakish, absolutely inept manager of time and process that I have ever, ever come across 😡
As a result of this, I achieved next to nothing yesterday through being sent on useless, fools errands whilst piles of work were growing ever higher.
This then led to a mad panic later in the day about how it was all going to get done.
I’ve tried to gently point out that we’re not working effectively but they closed me down.
I’ll be doing exactly what I’m asked to do from now on; no extra hours, and forgetting about the place completely once I’m home.
I’m not getting paid anywhere near enough for crappy days like yesterday 😡
Sadly I've experienced too many managers fiddling while Rome burns so this is definitely not going to out you.

Have you spoken to your manager about this? If so, how did it go?

I caught up with a friend today who is experiencing the same thing ... she pushed back and said she would commit only to the days that they originally agreed on as she lives rurally where there is no public transport and they only have one car. Her boss just waffled on about the 'landscape' being 'fluid' so the need to be flexible, and then suggested he could put her in touch with someone who sells affordable cars. How rude of him to turn it back on her.

Have you spoken to your manager about this? If so, how did it go?

I caught up with a friend today who is experiencing the same thing ... she pushed back and said she would commit only to the days that they originally agreed on as she lives rurally where there is no public transport and they only have one car. Her boss just waffled on about the 'landscape' being 'fluid' so the need to be flexible, and then suggested he could put her in touch with someone who sells affordable cars. How rude of him to turn it back on her.
I haven’t yet but I will because today was the cherry on top. Last week, they asked us to come in tomorrow and Thursday. Today, they pinged the team asking us to come in on Friday instead because they won’t be able to come in on Thursday because their cleaning lady asked them to drop by to clean their place on Thursday.

I said I’m not available to come in on Friday (that’s when I get my groceries and dry cleaning delivered personally).

No offense to them but I find it particularly unfair and self-involved to impose days on their team based on their own personal schedule. We all have lives.

I’m fine with all of us being in the office together one day a week, but the other two days should be up to you especially as we don’t work together.

How is this flexible working when there’s no consensus and the manager just imposes days based on their own personal schedule outside of work?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.