Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was talking to a colleague earlier about work stuff and the guy sitting at the desk across mine literally told us to shut up because he couldn't hear his music. We weren't even loud at all. Hella rude. We work on an open floor, so people are going to interact. Isn't that the point of working from the office? Neither of us uttered a word for the rest of the day.
I would have told him where he could shove his music the cheeky get

Reactions: 4
Depends whether she highlighted the fact herself, or just hid under the radar, and if she did highlight, was it Tuesday or Friday
She never told anyone, we couldnt take it anymore and worked out what was going on.
She should have realised there was an issue and reported it but she didnt want to answer the phones so said nothing.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 5
Colleagues who think it's OK to contact you with seemingly innocuous work questions when you're on leave 😡 I took 3 leave days in the past 6 months, and both times I was contacted with stupid questions from my peers. The first time I took a days leave for my Son's birthday, to take him to the city and I told my lunch buddies all about our plans. First thing that morning one texted me an "urgent" request under the guise of a quick 5 min response needed, except that it wasn't and it made me late for our cinema trip.

Last month I went on a 2 day city break with my partner (our first in 4 years) I set my out of office message with clear instructions on who to contact for what query. I switched my work phone off and low and behold, I'm about to board a plane when I pick up a frantic voicemail from another peer asking me to urgently provide details for a report due next day. It was not urgent and she could have asked someone more senior actually in work that day, but oh no panicky Annie thinks it's easier to disturb her ole buddy.

The lesson here is of course not to give my personal number out but I honestly thought professionals ought to have a basic EQ. Its not a culture from the top down. Senior management never contact people on leave. Unless you have a control freak manager who asks to be contacted with any questions then it's never OK to contact colleagues leave - whether they're sitting on their sofa scratching their arse or going skiing on a mountain top. Still fuming 🤯

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Colleagues who think it's OK to contact you with seemingly innocuous work questions when you're on leave 😡 I took 3 leave days in the past 6 months, and both times I was contacted with stupid questions from my peers. The first time I took a days leave for my Son's birthday, to take him to the city and I told my lunch buddies all about our plans. First thing that morning one texted me an "urgent" request under the guise of a quick 5 min response needed, except that it wasn't and it made me late for our cinema trip.

Last month I went on a 2 day city break with my partner (our first in 4 years) I set my out of office message with clear instructions on who to contact for what query. I switched my work phone off and low and behold, I'm about to board a plane when I pick up a frantic voicemail from another peer asking me to urgently provide details for a report due next day. It was not urgent and she could have asked someone more senior actually in work that day, but oh no panicky Annie thinks it's easier to disturb her ole buddy.

The lesson here is of course not to give my personal number out but I honestly thought professionals ought to have a basic EQ. Its not a culture from the top down. Senior management never contact people on leave. Unless you have a control freak manager who asks to be contacted with any questions then it's never OK to contact colleagues leave - whether they're sitting on their sofa scratching their arse or going skiing on a mountain top. Still fuming 🤯
I would be fuming too! How bloody inconsiderate. It tells you a lot about people who do that. I'd be mentioning it in my regular catch-up to my boss - naming names and telling him/her that it's NOT okay!

I would be fuming too! How bloody inconsiderate. It tells you a lot about people who do that. I'd be mentioning it in my regular catch-up to my boss - naming names and telling him/her that it's NOT okay!
I couldn't agree more, it's just inconsiderate. Even though the 2nd lady is a ray of positive energy and generally a great colleague, I find her to be very panicky and keen to impress. She would rather bother someone on leave at her level, than admit to a senior person that she needs help. I'll definitely be bringing this up in my next 1:1 with my manager.

I find a lot of people are much happier to inconvenience a woman than a man, especially in the workplace. The amount of people that start messages to me with “I didn’t want to bother [my male peer], so” is frankly offensive.

Careful not to fall into office martyrdom though, @BossyPearl. You’ve got to start ignoring those calls.

My colleague has a habit of moaning about their workload, refusing help when offered only to flap on the deadline day and drag the rest of the team into chaos dealing with it. They are unable to plan their own workload accordingly, you would think they would have cracked it after 5 years! It is crap when you pick up a large piece of work but you just have to work longer in the run up rather than the final 24 hours. Now I am mopping up their mess instead of doing my work!

• Sad
The way some male colleagues have no self awareness or awareness of others. I witnessed one standing up at his desk to have a good old stretch, he let out a loud groan and then twiddled and adjusted his private parts, he then stuck his thumb up his nose and then walked by my desk and said... "just going kitchen, do you want a cuppa"?
No thanks 😳

• Haha
  • Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
When colleagues duck off home 5-10 mins early while you're rushing to finish and you end up leaving late, but you could have all left together on time if they'd helped :cautious:

• Sad
Working my arse off sorting out flight cancellations.
Turn around to see my colleague looking at Boohoo/PLT etc....not once, not twice but everytime.

Couldn't help but say the usual 'aren't you busy?'

I'm seriously not bothered on most occasions but not on this occasion!

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Control freak bosses that won’t let you do anything of importance then moan that they’ve got too much to do
😆 suffer then you cow 😆

Reactions: 10
Colleagues with no self awareness who can't read body language. There's a big meeting in our office every second week and we all flap around like headless chickens preparing for it. This bint only works in the office one day a week and without fail 15 mins before this meeting she plonks down beside me and says "how are you, haven't seen you in aaagges" eh F off you know I'm up against it. Reappears at 5.20pm for another pointless chat when I'm frantically trying to finish up ahead of my commute home.

People who sneak into the office during the weekend or after hours to print in 'best quality' from the colour printer and use up all the ink (and paper)!

Thanks to print job reports (accessible by management) they get caught out, but they still shouldn't do it!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
My colleague has a habit of moaning about their workload, refusing help when offered only to flap on the deadline day and drag the rest of the team into chaos dealing with it. They are unable to plan their own workload accordingly, you would think they would have cracked it after 5 years! It is crap when you pick up a large piece of work but you just have to work longer in the run up rather than the final 24 hours. Now I am mopping up their mess instead of doing my work!
I feel like you are describing one of my colleagues regarding the flapping.

The same colleague also spent most of today talking out loud, providing verbal commentary to the room of 8 ppl. "Oh I think I'll log into this system now...oh I have another email come in...oh, Bob has an out of office on, it says he's away this week... oh look, we have a coupon to claim a free coffee at the onsite cafe... Oh, poo, I've just clicked the wrong thing" etc.

The line manager just sat in silence in the corner ignoring this. The chatty colleague has also recently engaged in a battle of wits against another colleague in the team, the two of them like to dominate team meetings to show how clever they are. It has been a long day 😩

• Sad
  • Haha
When I was in my 20's I worked in an office with older women. They constantly used to whack the thermostat up to hot. I was always hot and would turn it down, then one would turn it up again! Now I'm old and I get cold too!

• Haha
When I was in my 20's I worked in an office with older women. They constantly used to whack the thermostat up to hot. I was always hot and would turn it down, then one would turn it up again! Now I'm old and I get cold too!
The opposite for me, I was always cold but there were a lot of women going through menopause and wanting air con on all year round 😝

My manager called me when I was on holiday, halfway up a mountain, to ask me if I had taken annual leave on a particular day, two months earlier. I told her that I was pretty sure that I had, but that I couldn't confirm because I didn't have my diary with me, as I was on holiday. She apologised profusely but then said, "Why did you take your work phone on holiday?". I said, "This isn't my work phone". We laughed, it was fine, she's a great boss, but I'm the most junior member of our team (pay grade, not age) and much as I love my job, I'm not that dedicated to work! 🤣

• Haha
I feel like you are describing one of my colleagues regarding the flapping.

The same colleague also spent most of today talking out loud, providing verbal commentary to the room of 8 ppl. "Oh I think I'll log into this system now...oh I have another email come in...oh, Bob has an out of office on, it says he's away this week... oh look, we have a coupon to claim a free coffee at the onsite cafe... Oh, poo, I've just clicked the wrong thing" etc.

The line manager just sat in silence in the corner ignoring this. The chatty colleague has also recently engaged in a battle of wits against another colleague in the team, the two of them like to dominate team meetings to show how clever they are. It has been a long day 😩
I very much relate to this post. Two offenders on my floor do this and both sit relatively near to me. The first is an older man who barely does a thing. I feel like he does it to justify his existence 🤣 he'll randomly shout out "Printer, let's print these 6 invoices" or "emails, respond to Jenny" so annoying 😂😂 Then there's a panicky woman and every task stresses her out. She reads it out to the floor and in a shrill voice screams your name for help, expecting that whatever you're working on is not important and you should drop it immediately to show her how to do a vlookup😂 Her team work from a shared channel and she wants to discuss every new request in real-time, distracting the whole team to gather as many opinions as she can on something that should be straightforward.

Oh how I miss working from home 🤪

• Haha
This is a silly one but people putting wet spoons in the sugar bowl! I dont even take sugar but it sends me into an internal rage when I make a drink for someone and see big clumps of sugar mixed with coffee and tea.

• Sick
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.