Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Im stuck at front desk for a few hours. So far one boss has made me organise a meeting for him as he didnt come in.
He does this all the time, just takes over meeting rooms without checking the calendar. Am surprised he didnt ask me to do tea and coffee for them.
The slight issue is that we are meant to be having IT work in the room today so he has thrown the entire works schedule off because he cant work a calendar.

Reactions: 2
Im stuck at front desk for a few hours. So far one boss has made me organise a meeting for him as he didnt come in.
He does this all the time, just takes over meeting rooms without checking the calendar. Am surprised he didnt ask me to do tea and coffee for them.
The slight issue is that we are meant to be having IT work in the room today so he has thrown the entire works schedule off because he cant work a calendar.
Yep there's a couple of those at my office too. One in particular gets over excited about a project launch and has one of the admins send out a company wide meeting invite without checking the big wigs diaries or without considering whether all the prep can be carried out in time. Invites an external guest speaker into a meeting and waits until the last minute to tell anyone which puts undue pressure on admin, facilties and IT. Shows up to meetings with no clue what it's about and derails it, with his excitement to talk about something random his team are working on. Doesn't check his inbox for days and then fires out a load of requests to people with urgent deadlines because he didn't react quick enough 😡😡😡

The same person who annoys everyone in the team pinged me this morning at 9.15 to tell me they needed to have a call with me "urgently" regarding something "complex" and we're better off discussing over a call. I'm not taking impromptu calls at 9.15am when I'm working from home unless absolutely critical (which knowing this person I knew it wasn't). I politely said: "I'm in the middle of something, please send me an email, I'll look into it".
Of course, as I anticipated it was a complete non-issue. They wanted to know why some name hadn't been amended in some SharePoint. They know full well it's not within my remit on top of this.

Do we really need a call at 9.15am to discuss this? What is so complex about amending a name on SharePoint?

Smh.

Reactions: 3
The same person who annoys everyone in the team pinged me this morning at 9.15 to tell me they needed to have a call with me "urgently" regarding something "complex" and we're better off discussing over a call. I'm not taking impromptu calls at 9.15am when I'm working from home unless absolutely critical (which knowing this person I knew it wasn't). I politely said: "I'm in the middle of something, please send me an email, I'll look into it".
Of course, as I anticipated it was a complete non-issue. They wanted to know why some name hadn't been amended in some SharePoint. They know full well it's not within my remit on top of this.

Do we really need a call at 9.15am to discuss this? What is so complex about amending a name on SharePoint?

Smh.
The main irritation for me in this situation is someone "pinging" to schedule a call. Just bleeping call if you need to chat about it ffs! I get it all the time and just pick up my phone to find out what they want when this happens to me :LOL:

The main irritation for me in this situation is someone "pinging" to schedule a call. Just bleeping call if you need to chat about it ffs! I get it all the time and just pick up my phone to find out what they want when this happens to me :LOL:
Haha. We're very different. No, I don't like people calling me randomly, especially not at early hours of the work day. Unless it is absolutely necessary, random calls really irritate me. It's a severe lack of boundaries. I worked a job where people used to call randomly and did not like it at all.

I think my issue is not about pinging to schedule a call. My issue is saying the issue is "urgent" and pinging me right away at 9am when it's not even an issue to begin with and certainly does not require a call. People need to assess the importance they give to certain issues and whether it really requires a call or for it to be given a sense of "urgency". The issue this person mentioned does not require a call at all let alone call it an "urgency".

Reactions: 4
Haha. We're very different. No, I don't like people calling me randomly, especially not at early hours of the work day. Unless it is absolutely necessary, random calls really irritate me. It's a severe lack of boundaries. I worked a job where people used to call randomly and did not like it at all.

I think my issue is not about pinging to schedule a call. My issue is saying the issue is "urgent" and pinging me right away at 9am when it's not even an issue to begin with and certainly does not require a call. People need to assess the importance they give to certain issues and whether it really requires a call or for it to be given a sense of "urgency". The issue this person mentioned does not require a call at all let alone call it an "urgency".
One of my work besties is similar to you! I get it, we all work differently ;) I suppose what's top on their priority list is completely at odd with your list of priorities - frustrating! Did you have a interview today btw? or am I getting you mixed up with someone else? Hope it went well if it was you!

One of my work besties is similar to you! I get it, we all work differently ;) I suppose what's top on their priority list is completely at odd with your list of priorities - frustrating! Did you have a interview today btw? or am I getting you mixed up with someone else? Hope it went well if it was you!
Agree. Haha, yeah, well changing two characters on a SharePoint we use to store documents is hardly a priority for anyone but this person lol.

Nope it wasn't me but I have one this week though so thanks for that anyways :)

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Agree. Haha, yeah, well changing two characters on a SharePoint we use to store documents is hardly a priority for anyone but this person lol.

Nope it wasn't me but I have one this week though so thanks for that anyways :)
FFS. Agree. that is a frustrating menial task! Eeekk! good luck with the interview later and keep us updated :cool:

• Heart
Reactions: 1
There's a promotion coming up at work, a backfill for a colleague who's moving into a more senior role. There's a couple of people internally who have expressed an interest in going for it and one of them is making me feel frankly nauseous 😂 while he's been hiding at home since the pandemic, he's now showing up in person at every meeting senior leaders attend. He sat there in a meeting today in this arrogant tone reminding his superiors that he's at their disposal for this project coming up 🙄 He is renowned for ignoring emails and fobbing people off with weak responses, but lately he couldn't be more motivated. It's a HR role and he's taken it upon himself to offer 2 new hires some mentoring. All great for the company but hes so smarmy and he's doing my head in.

• Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 6
It's not an "all the time" thing, but it has become these days.

Our former manager left the company and there is an open team lead role. There are 4 people in my team (myself and 3 other men). I'm the only woman, All of them applied for the team lead role and each confided in me that they did asking me not to tell the other team members. I obviously won't say anything, but they've all been telling me why the other people in the team won't get the role, yet not one of them has asked whether or not I applied. We're all at the same level. I've a solid background, good interpersonal skills, good knowledge of the role and procedures and ability to conduct presentations - I could have easily applied. I have not applied because I'm not interested in people management, but I find it shocking not one of these men even thought to ask me whether I've applied based on their assumptions they're more qualified than me and more vocal than I am. They all ask me if other team members have applied, but not asked me if I was interested. They see me as the "woman" in the team who is beneath. Bunch of MOFOS.

Reactions: 11
There's a promotion coming up at work, a backfill for a colleague who's moving into a more senior role. There's a couple of people internally who have expressed an interest in going for it and one of them is making me feel frankly nauseous 😂 while he's been hiding at home since the pandemic, he's now showing up in person at every meeting senior leaders attend. He sat there in a meeting today in this arrogant tone reminding his superiors that he's at their disposal for this project coming up 🙄 He is renowned for ignoring emails and fobbing people off with weak responses, but lately he couldn't be more motivated. It's a HR role and he's taken it upon himself to offer 2 new hires some mentoring. All great for the company but hes so smarmy and he's doing my head in.
I know the type! They are so nauseating. Senior leaders will see right through him if they are any good.

Reactions: 5
When you ping someone for something urgent and a they either don't respond or respond 4 hours later. Smh. The purpose of pinging someone is to get a quick answer, otherwise I might as well send a letter.

Colleagues who have different personas depending on who they're dealing with. The ones who are sugary sweet and cant do enough for people with influence and then are invisible when it comes to helping out their own level or below. I'm honestly the same person whether I'm dealing with the CEO or the receptionist. If I have knowledge you need I'll share it and if you respect me I'll respect you.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Frustrating and makes you want to heave, I have one of those at my job. He’s an absolute wet wipe.

I’m done with the manager of my team (there’s one beneath him). If I was a hairdresser, he’s basically decided I don’t need scissors to do my job and hasn’t even had the decency to speak to me about it. He just agreed to it in a meeting before. It was meant to be signed off but now they’ve u-turned. I didn’t react, I’m going to get serious about job hunting instead. His need for petty politics will hurt them more than me 🙃

Hi all

I have just stumbled across this thread…it’s great and reading them really resonates a lot with me.

I work from home a lot in my job, I work in social care so I have a lot of professional meetings via teams which I organise.

I hate how some senior members of staff treat you like their witch, look down on you and don’t pick up anything that’s “beneath them” in particular in my job if someone cannot attend a meeting I have organised I would pass this decline on to my senior / chair of the meeting to make them aware. One senior member of staff in particular would always send me a big long email telling me why this person needs to attend, then ask me to email them and tell them why they need to attend and to send someone else, when they could have just gone directly to that person and asked them themselves and just copied me in?!?

I found myself just amending their email (which they suggested!!) to make it sound like it was coming from me, it was wasting my time and there is only me that does what I do, so can you imagine if I had to do that all the time if someone declined along with everything else I do …. so now when someone says they cannot attend I reply to them to say thanks for letting me know, copy this particular senior in and say can you please advise if this meeting can go a head with an update or does this need to be rearranged. And you know what they’ve started to respond back to them directly and copy me in.

I know I may come across as a little petty, I do work really hard and I hope people don’t think I am being lazy however this particular senior member of staff is still doing exactly the same in sending their big long email it’s just not going to me to amend and send.

Reactions: 3
When you log into a teams call and not everyone has dialled-in yet so people start making small talk…. I was on with 7 of the 12 people in our team a few weeks ago. The manager on the call asked every person how they were managing WFH with childcare/school runs etc, in alphabetical order. She came to my turn in the alphabet and completely skipped passed me because I’m the only one without children in the team. She didn’t even acknowledge me, let alone ask me how I was/ how my day was going. It was humiliating and completely discriminatory.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
When you log into a teams call and not everyone has dialled-in yet so people start making small talk…. I was on with 7 of the 12 people in our team a few weeks ago. The manager on the call asked every person how they were managing WFH with childcare/school runs etc, in alphabetical order. She came to my turn in the alphabet and completely skipped passed me because I’m the only one without children in the team. She didn’t even acknowledge me, let alone ask me how I was/ how my day was going. It was humiliating and completely discriminatory.
So rude. I guess they don't teach them basic social skills on all those fancy management courses they go on. I hate all the small talk on calls too. My boss asks me the same questions every week and clearly glazes over when I tell him the same answers. He just ohs and ahs in the right places.

My manager does this weird thing where she constantly has to one up anything you have wrong with you, and basically diminish your issues and say how bad hers are.

Once, I blacked out and smacked my head on the outside wall when taking the rubbish out to the bins, really random but id had a stressful day, and i put it down to that. Mentioned it in work the next day because I was a bit grazed on my hands and legs. That evening, we get a message on the work chat saying she was taking the bins out and had this big dramatic fall and was all grazed.

A few months ago I was really not feeling good in work, I stayed in all day, but asked if I could work from home the next day. She then started telling me how bad she was feeling and how much worse she was etc etc. She rang me a total of 15 times whilst I was working from home with absolutely nothing to say, which was really annoying. Then she took a week off work saying she was ill and came back and mentioned it constantly.

I came back from abroad with bad d&v and had to work from home 2 days. The day I come back in to work, she announces has the worst d&v ever but couldn't go off and mentioned how bad she was for weeks

I had a cold, did a covid test just to be sure and she was like 'you surely can't have covid again!!!' I have had covid once, in October last year. Then she started going on about how she felt when she had covid, and told us all the story which she has told us constantly since she came back from having it.

Also notably when someone from our office was testing positive on a lateral flow test after being off with covid, she wouldnt let any of us go (she was working from home so wasn't at risk of infection) but when she was off with covid, she took 3 weeks off saying her test was still showing positive

You can't do/say anything about yourself without her having to have it 10000000 times worse, and she always picks a roughly similar illness or issue that you have it is bizarre. Apart from that she is a nice enough lady but it is so weird. I am not the only one in the office who has picked up on it either

• Wow
Honestly everything that the majority of my colleagues do pisses me off at the moment.

Recruiting for top level positions when the team is already incredibly top heavy.

Treating some members of the team better than others because they have connections to department leaders.

Doing nothing all day then lying about how busy they've been.

Ugh!

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.