Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Calling team meetings a "huddle" - it's stupid, pointless, gives me the weird mental image of us all trying to crowd into a small space together, and screams "we wanted a buzzword"

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
I manage a team of 4. One person recently joined us to replace someone else. The woman is max 2 years older than me and today she referred to me as "love". One of my team members is an intern and she does it to her too. I am currently working my notice and have around 8 weeks left so I wont be saying anything but it is so annoying and unprofessional.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
My colleagues can’t use full words - ‘perf’ has replaced ‘perfect’ and there’s loads more. Everyone is a superstar or a hero because they do what is expected of them… what they are paid to do.

• Sick
Reactions: 8
Being called "Dear" by a colleague pisses me off immensely. I asked her to please call me by my name and I think I offended her! To my ear, it sounds patronising. Plus, in a work environment it's unprofessional. The lady who does it is helping us with some things on a temporary basis, and also calls some of our younger team members "Lassie" which they don't appreciate. I don't think she means anything by doing it; she's just one of these lovely, airy-fairy type ladies who wants to be friends with everyone (she is so, so lovely).

We had a client visit this morning unexpectedly so I quickly printed off what we wanted to present to her, and decided to bind it to make it look the best it could at short notice ... only to find that someone "helpfully" punched holes in all the binding clear covers, but none of the holes were straight, and some were punched through to the edge ... making them unusable. So bloody annoying! I created a workaround by affixing a length of washi tape (an amazing find in itself) down the side (front and back), and repunching it ... our client loves frilly and sparkly things and loved it - yay!

I was feeling quite proud of myself until I asked the (one and only) grumpy woman in our office to please order some more ... of course she went to the stationery room to see how many we had left as she "only bought some just the other month" ... and suggested we could just make do with the botched-up ones. Yeah, nah ... not in my world lady.

Reactions: 3
I think when emergency WFH started (at the height of the pandemic), a lot of people had their kids at home and it created this idea for them that it was acceptable for them to WFH and look after their kids at the same time, when really it was an emergency pandemic response. Now the lines are blurred they're content to keep doing it thinking it's totally fine, and most employers are terrified to push back because they're not sure what's reasonable or legal. I've heard of people bragging about how much they're saving on childcare by taking their kids out of childminding and having them at home while they're WFH while their colleagues continue to come to work. I'm not saying working parents don't work as hard as anyone else in principle but there's a more pronounced air of p*ss taking now that WFH has become more common place.
It’s when people post on teams about kids climbing over laptops and watching movies all day like if they were back at work said kids would be at nursery surely ? Doesn’t help our boss is one of biggest culprits ever

Reactions: 1
Ok so i work in the bookmakers industry i have one colleague that stinks of B.O another who moans about not having all the opens its a 7 day aweek job theres 5 of us your lucky to get 2 opens a week let alone all of them another who wastes the simplest of bets and i mean a single win another who claims they know it all but if you leave them for 2 mins it like leaving a toddler with a mixing bowl for a second

Then theres me am so close to quitting its unbelievable

Being called "Dear" by a colleague pisses me off immensely. I asked her to please call me by my name and I think I offended her! To my ear, it sounds patronising. Plus, in a work environment it's unprofessional. The lady who does it is helping us with some things on a temporary basis, and also calls some of our younger team members "Lassie" which they don't appreciate. I don't think she means anything by doing it; she's just one of these lovely, airy-fairy type ladies who wants to be friends with everyone (she is so, so lovely).

We had a client visit this morning unexpectedly so I quickly printed off what we wanted to present to her, and decided to bind it to make it look the best it could at short notice ... only to find that someone "helpfully" punched holes in all the binding clear covers, but none of the holes were straight, and some were punched through to the edge ... making them unusable. So bloody annoying! I created a workaround by affixing a length of washi tape (an amazing find in itself) down the side (front and back), and repunching it ... our client loves frilly and sparkly things and loved it - yay!

I was feeling quite proud of myself until I asked the (one and only) grumpy woman in our office to please order some more ... of course she went to the stationery room to see how many we had left as she "only bought some just the other month" ... and suggested we could just make do with the botched-up ones. Yeah, nah ... not in my world lady.
Why do so many stationery ordering staff seem to be utter jobsworths? We had a guy who was responsible for ordering stationery and trying to get him to order anything was a nightmare. You'd think it was his money. We once needed card for some recruitment wall displays and, predictably, the stationery head said we could use what was in the cupboard. I explained we couldn't because it was neither the right size or strength and we wanted to attract new staff, so it needed to look professional.

He steadfastly refused, so I took it to my senior manager. Not to complain about him in particular, but just to explain that the card in the stationery cupboard wasn't the best but apparently due to the stationery budget it was that or nothing. Of course my senior manager soon told the stationery guy to order it without complaint. He hated me from then on. 😂

My work rant for the day (and one which I think might have been raised before) are people who refuse to start emails with the recipient's name. One of my colleagues - who's a nice enough guy - only ever starts emails with "Hi" then launches into whatever he wants to say. Unless it's a group email, I always start with "Hi..."and then the person's name because it just seems polite to me.

Reactions: 9
We've had a new manager start with us in the last month or so and it is becoming more and more apparent that she is beyond out of her depth.

I've been tasked with training her on our day to day activities and there are so many times where I'm having to repeat myself about how we do something or about how we word something. They aren't complicated things either and I'm running out of nice ways to say "don't forget this" or "remember we need to do..." 🙈

Her last job role came with the title manager (at a different company) but she's never been a manager at the level she is expected to be at our company. I'm not sure if she has fudged her way through the interview, or our director has just been desperate to get someone in this position 🤷🏻‍♀️

It's very frustrating because a couple of us heard that the director had said none of us were ready....yet I'm the one training the manager??

Reactions: 10
When they want to ask a work question on slack so just send a message saying ‘hey, how are you’ before getting to the actual question :)
When they don’t reply

I've a colleague who is super socially unaware and professionally problematic in a number of ways, but management are too weak and afraid to address any of it.

I try to rise above most of it since it won't change, and ultimately it's his manager who will get in tit when he inevitably fucks up.

HOWEVER! He's so annoying and gross. He's intermittently smelly (that damp single guy smell 🤮) and frequently stretches or moves in such a way as to expose his hairy and overhanging belly from beneath his shirt. His hairy arsecrack is visible 85% of the time. Its just not what I need on top of everything else.

His vocal mannerisms and verbal tics are the absolute worst though, and since he can't keep any thought, opinion, or noise to himself, I find myself having to step outside, wear earphones, or just internally screaming whenever he's in the office and vocalising.

HE'S NOT EVEN GOOD AT HIS JOB!!!!!
Back on my bullshit, slagging off this incompetent bag'o'shite!

He insists on loudly and in a sort of childlike voice greeting everyone who comes into the large, open plan, multi-team office space. Every time they enter. Most of us are in & out every 20 minutes or so and every bleeping time he's craning his hairy neck to see who's coming in and yelling out "Hi Sarah!!", even though he greeted Sarah with a cheerful good morning 10 minutes ago when she arrived, and then again 7 minutes later when she's returned with her coffee, and will again when she returns from taking a piss in another couple of minutes. There are about 25 people working from that space plus constant visitors. It's so grating. No one else does this.

• Sick
Reactions: 6
Managers whispering/darting glances at people ughhhh, it’s so rude :)

• Heart
lol also, employees whispering/darting glances at managers and then trying to get the whole office to witch about said managers when they leave the room. It’s just boring. I’m not at work for drama 😴

This! My team has two managers who job share and overlap on a wednesday. Instead of booking a meeting room to do a handover/update between them, they update each other in the corner of the office, whispering and casting a glance every so often. It's really offputting 😂

This! My team has two managers who job share and overlap on a wednesday. Instead of booking a meeting room to do a handover/update between them, they update each other in the corner of the office, whispering and casting a glance every so often. It's really offputting 😂
My manager does this all the time. He’s very unprofessional. He watches everyone that walks by and judges them or alternatively gossips about their own reports / colleagues in a corner. One time he said “I’m just looking at the picture of these people to see who I’d like to sleep with”. Nasty.

• Wow
One of my colleagues keeps throwing out suggestions on the group chat about having a work get together's 😫 ffs 😒

Don't get me wrong, I dont mind a night out and work colleagues aren't that bad, but I want to spend my weekend relaxing and spending time with family, not with people I spend 8 hours a day with already!! Sick of bloody seeing them to be honest.

At least Wordle’s died a death, I was in a group where people posted their scores on Slack every morning

OMG how could I forget this
I was in a team with about thirty people and we all logged on at the same time. It was customary to write good morning when you logged on so there were thirty messages in the teams channel saying
Good morning
Good morning
Good morning… It used to make it impossible to find pinned posts and previous days’ updates :)

Reactions: 5
Ok .. hear me out . I took time off after my mum died and I can finally talk about her death without crying. Some colleagues won't just stop at Hi ,how are you . They keep going on and on to the point where I burst into tears and it seems they enjoy that element of making me sad so they can feel special by comforting me .

They aren't even close colleagues . A friend observed this recently & after the other person had left said they were on the verge of telling them to duck off because it was blatant goading.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice for people to ask how you are but that's where it should stop .
I lost someone close to me and the way people go on is like a sick sport. I just typed some of the things said and I’ve deleted as it’s actually triggering and I wouldn’t want to do that to you.
I have found saying thing “I don’t want to talked about it now…I’m not being rude…but it’s not a topic for conversation.” Shuts people down quick. Yeah it might look a bit rude but duck it so is them asking you.

Sending you lots of strength to her through your loss and condolences on losing your mum. X

• Heart
Reactions: 8
My manager have zero idea of how to lead the team which is then effecting the direction I have with my own direct reports in how I lead them. He’s got zero drive either. Pisses me off.

• Heart
  • Wow
My manager is so inappropriate I’m sick of him. This morning, I logged in to an email of his saying “So and so will eat all the treats that were brought in and you know what they say about men with big appetite”.

I actually don’t and it’s nasty. I’m now collecting evidence because this is inappropriate like most of his behavior.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.