Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can I get advice on something here...I am interviewing for jobs at the moment mainly because of my manager!

Anyway a few months ago she suggested a short course which is a little expensive at approx 1500 euro. She occasionally tries to appear supportive and this was one of those times. I knew i was planning to leave so i said i would look into it and waited as long as I could but she mentioned it again earlier this week so I felt I had to sign up for it. But I have since gotten a fair few interviews set up and I feel so guilty...my notice is really long so even and if I hand in my notice in the next week or so it would be at the very end of my notice period.

If one of the jobs works out I was going to say I would pay for it myself just as a goodwill gesture. What do ye think?
Say nothing. You clearly don’t have an interest in the course, only problem is if there is some form of clawback arrangement in place they could then take the cost from your final salary. They can’t do that if there is no agreement though. Is the course of benefit to you elsewhere?

Reactions: 7
Can I get advice on something here...I am interviewing for jobs at the moment mainly because of my manager!

Anyway a few months ago she suggested a short course which is a little expensive at approx 1500 euro. She occasionally tries to appear supportive and this was one of those times. I knew i was planning to leave so i said i would look into it and waited as long as I could but she mentioned it again earlier this week so I felt I had to sign up for it. But I have since gotten a fair few interviews set up and I feel so guilty...my notice is really long so even and if I hand in my notice in the next week or so it would be at the very end of my notice period.

If one of the jobs works out I was going to say I would pay for it myself just as a goodwill gesture. What do ye think?
Technically, if a company sponsors a course or a degree, you have to remain in the company for a specific amount of time otherwise you have to refund a portion or the full fee to the company on your way out. It’s policy in most companies so whether you offer it as a gesture or not, the company is entitled to ask for their money back anyways

• Wow
Reactions: 4
My workplace seems to be full of older ladies who are mean girls that won't share knowledge! We have a new person on our team and just simple things like using the printers are complex because of the ridiculous way they're set up, and these people seem to delight in stepping back and watching newbies flounder. There's no proper induction that new people go through; they're expected to learn as they fly by the seat of their pants. I try and help out where I can (and I'm older), as do a few of the young people who are an absolute delight to work with, but the others will sit back and stop short of clapping their hands with delight. Maybe they feel threatened in some way? It's so strange. The printer is but one of many examples.

I don't know what's wrong with my boss, but I've decided to keep her at arm's length - I'll be pleasant to her and respect that she's my boss, but I'll no longer engage in small talk. She loves to shout and carry on when there's an audience, and berate people in front of everyone ... two seconds later, she'll turn around and be full of smiles - but continue to give evil stares to whomever was her target. Her behaviour had one of our young guys in tears today - it's just not on, and as she's one of the owners nobody will pull her up on it. Half an hour later, and she was sitting with everyone else having drinks, while the poor guy beavered away at his desk. I went and had a chat to him - assured him that she does it to everyone - which seemed to make it worse as he got a bit blubbery :cry:. Horrible dingbat that she is. It must give her thrills or something to treat people like that.

I would back out of the course - don't give a reason; just withdraw.

Don't let her talk or guilt you into staying there when you find another job! Because she sounds a bit like my boss who I've referenced above! (Does something horrible then with the flick of a switch will become a completely different person).

Reactions: 6
Technically, if a company sponsors a course or a degree, you have to remain in the company for a specific amount of time otherwise you have to refund a portion or the full fee to the company on your way out. It’s policy in most companies so whether you offer it as a gesture or not, the company is entitled to ask for their money back anyways
There is no such policy in my company as I had asked HR a few months ago as a team member is interested in doing a professional qualification. They said the policy is still being drafted and it hasnt been circulated Mine is a very short course - 2 days.

Say nothing. You clearly don’t have an interest in the course, only problem is if there is some form of clawback arrangement in place they could then take the cost from your final salary. They can’t do that if there is no agreement though. Is the course of benefit to you elsewhere?
Is a course on managing people. I currently have a team of 4 but in the roles I am applying for some have direct reports and others dont. It would be a good course to do but I dont mind if I do it or not.

Reactions: 3
Everything!
I’ve only been there a short while and I had such high hopes for this job, but it’s turned out to be the weirdest, most draining atmosphere I’ve ever worked in. Stifling.
Then there’s work allocation. Some get away with taking almost all day to do one job; others get more and more dumped on them. Every day it’s decided to do things a different way, and the more accommodating you are, the more is expected of you.
Add to this a team leader who is a complete control freak and it’s starting to push me over the edge!
I did have a mini meltdown last week - in a very controlled way - because I seem to get so much dumped on me, and I ended up making a silly mistake. Mistake was my fault, but the imbalance of work isn’t being noticed.
I felt really bad for trying to defend myself afterwards so now I’m just morphing into the rest of the stepford workers 😂
I was nodding in agreement whilst reading your post. I'm finding the exact same thing in my job (to which I'm fairly new also). I'm an avid note-taker (and pretty good at capturing detail verbatim as it's relayed), and it's becoming extremely obvious that they tell me something different every time! Don't get me started on idiots who say, "Yeah, well it's fairly fluid" in response - it's not; they're just sloppy and take shortcuts (well, some do and hope they won't get caught, and the ones who do it properly don't want to share the knowledge).

I went in early today, hoping to tackle a few things and leave earlier at the end of the day as there are massive storms here at the moment and I was worried I might not make it home; of course something was dumped on me at the 11th hour because someone else - who did leave early - had forgotten about it.

• Angry
Reactions: 5
I was nodding in agreement whilst reading your post. I'm finding the exact same thing in my job (to which I'm fairly new also). I'm an avid note-taker (and pretty good at capturing detail verbatim as it's relayed), and it's becoming extremely obvious that they tell me something different every time! Don't get me started on idiots who say, "Yeah, well it's fairly fluid" in response - it's not; they're just sloppy and take shortcuts (well, some do and hope they won't get caught, and the ones who do it properly don't want to share the knowledge).

I went in early today, hoping to tackle a few things and leave earlier at the end of the day as there are massive storms here at the moment and I was worried I might not make it home; of course something was dumped on me at the 11th hour because someone else - who did leave early - had forgotten about it.
Honestly, I feel your pain! I could have actually screamed the other day when someone told me how to do something - the exact opposite way from what they’d previously told me!
And when I questioned that, they looked at me as though I was speaking an alien language 🤦‍♀️
I’m off today thankfully but am really not looking forward to going in on Monday.
Am actually considering reaching out to my old workplace, but they do say you should never go back. I really don’t want to go through the newbie phase again just now, so I’m going to have to learn to do lots of deep breathing and counting to ten!

• Sad
This is not the case in the UK.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Today's rant...

People who only seem to read their emails a couple of times a week, so start forwarding multiple emails in one go with "for your info" or "please can you deal with this?"

If you'd sent them on the day you received them, I'd be able to space the work out, but as you seem to choose to forward shed loads of emails every Friday, some with "please can this be provided by the end of the week" it doesn't leave me much time to deal with it. Though last time I "missed" a deadline I just said to the originator that it had only been forwarded to me on the Friday and named the person. I'm caring less about dropping people in it these days. 😂

• Wow
Reactions: 19
Today's rant...

People who only seem to read their emails a couple of times a week, so start forwarding multiple emails in one go with "for your info" or "please can you deal with this?"

If you'd sent them on the day you received them, I'd be able to space the work out, but as you seem to choose to forward shed loads of emails every Friday, some with "please can this be provided by the end of the week" it doesn't leave me much time to deal with it. Though last time I "missed" a deadline I just said to the originator that it had only been forwarded to me on the Friday and named the person. I'm caring less about dropping people in it these days. 😂

Kind of similarly to this. When there's about 8 people in copy on a query/dispute email, you fix the issue, email to say it is sorted and then someone who's not up to date on their emails sends one asking you to look in to it :mad::mad: Tbh people doing that is annoying enough in itself

Reactions: 6
Kind of similarly to this. When there's about 8 people in copy on a query/dispute email, you fix the issue, email to say it is sorted and then someone who's not up to date on their emails sends one asking you to look in to it :mad::mad: Tbh people doing that is annoying enough in itself
Yeah it's a schoolboy error not to order emails by subject and just read the latest one when there's a big chain!

Reactions: 1
I’ve been at my company for 4 and a half years and changed roles at the start of this year. My new boss is too much. He schedules weekly 1-2-1s which feel like a complete waste of time. He expects us in the office on a Tuesday for a pointless team meeting. This week he’s said from September he expects us in the office 3 times a week which feels ridiculous to me. I do my job perfectly fine if not better at home and I hate many of the people I work with. They’re old ignorant males who I just can’t not face being around.
When chatting to another colleague about not wanting to go in he said just make sure you go in on a ‘popular day’ so that management have seen you. A popular day is Thursday because that’s the day everybody goes in to go out and get off their faces. It’s really not my scene at all.
Don’t know how I’m going to get out of this 3 day a week thing but I am now looking for another job.

Reactions: 5
I find it tough to concentrate in a noisy office so often have my headphones in. Why don’t people twig that this means don’t talk to me? I don’t mind it if it’s work related, but when it’s chitchat and I’m clearly trying to focus it bugs me a lot.

Once a colleague just kept talking to me until I just kept answering “I have my headphones in”. I know it was rude of me but I was really in a flow and was getting pissed off at taking my music out to hear unimportant things.

• Wow
I’m currently working with a set of ‘mean girls’ who are lazy witches too. I’m constantly having to pick up their work load to keep things on track while they won’t even acknowledge I’m there. Today I had to leave bang on my finish time and the look I got when they realised I wouldn’t stay late to help them finish their job 🤬
Rotten environment, but let them look all they like!

I worked with a lazy gal years ago. Someone came in to look at systems, make improvements re workload distribution and so forth. Guess who got work taken away from her, yup, lazy gal. 🙄

One example of what she used to do was spin out a task that while it could be tricky, was very doable. But inevitably one of the rest of us would end up having to take it over.
We never could figure if she had a hold on someone in management or what!

• Wow
Ours do claw back for courses from £1500 onwards, it’s quite usual in large UK companies with high turnover…
There has to be a policy that stipulates this, though. There's no law that says that they can just do it.

There has to be a policy that stipulates this, though. There's no law that says that they can just do it.
My office takes people on as trainees and puts them through college or uni depending on the job, and it’s in the contract that you have to stay for at least 2 years after you qualify or you have to pay the fees back.

It’s likely in the employer’s contract, and HR policy. However, if not had a training agreement for the course then perhaps harder to enforce, and usually the cost of repayment tails off after 1-2 years following completion.

I had someone on my uni course leave her job after completing her diploma because her employer wanted her to pay back €10k so she had no option but to leave, but at least she got a better job elsewhere. They didn’t do a training agreement. She was from Germany border but working in Switzerland so had the option of working in two countries but the employment law is different in each country…

My office takes people on as trainees and puts them through college or uni depending on the job, and it’s in the contract that you have to stay for at least 2 years after you qualify or you have to pay the fees back.
Yes, it's in the contract. If the OP doesn't have it in her contract, she has no obligation to anybody. My employer doesn't require this.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.