Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I work in a school with someone who speaks to everyone like tit. Today she was talking loudly about me having pink sheets of paper. After her third passive aggressive comment I said that I had found them in the stock room. She shouted at me 'THE PINK PAPER IS FOR BEST!'. I said I didnt know that but I do now. She's unhinged and all of the children are scared of her.
She sounds concerningly illiterate for someone working in a classroom.
I would tell her to F off ( quietly away from the kids)
😄🤠

Did anyone ever come across a colleague who can't do enough for everyone, says all the right things, gets involved, smiles and is positive but you just don't trust them and their vibe seems off despite everyone else's seeming to rate them highly?
Yes, they turned out to be a massive backstabber.

• Angry
Reactions: 6
Some people are absolutely insane.

Point 1: Someone sent an email yesterday after business hours (around 5.30pm) and I did not respond because I had already shut down my Outlook. I log in this morning and they sent an email at 8am saying: "You did not respond to my email yesterday, please respond to my email, this is the first time in my life I am performing this action" and they cc'ed all managers including mine.

This is absolutely ridiculous. If you're going to send an email past 5pm and expect a response by 8am the following morning, then you're unreasonable (we're all on the same time-zone) and cc'ing the managers as a way to "tell" on you for not responding outside of business hours is even more unacceptable.

Point 2: People who make it a point to schedule 1 hour calls during lunch break when this calls are only meant for you to walk them through something you're already shown them on numerous occasions. It's a hard decline and reschedule for me because lunch time is the only time when I can get some personal things done and getting a useless meeting to benefit someone else scheduled in is not right.

• Wow
Reactions: 11

Point 1: Someone sent an email yesterday after business hours (around 5.30pm) and I did not respond because I had already shut down my Outlook. I log in this morning and they sent an email at 8am saying: "You did not respond to my email yesterday, please respond to my email, this is the first time in my life I am performing this action" and they cc'ed all managers including mine.

This is absolutely ridiculous. If you're going to send an email past 5pm and expect a response by 8am the following morning, then you're unreasonable (we're all on the same time-zone) and cc'ing the managers as a way to "tell" on you for not responding outside of business hours is even more unacceptable.

Point 2: People who make it a point to schedule 1 hour calls during lunch break when this calls are only meant for you to walk them through something you're already shown them on numerous occasions. It's a hard decline and reschedule for me because lunch time is the only time when I can get some personal things done and getting a useless meeting to benefit someone else scheduled in is not right.
[/QUOTE This country is is ruined by jobsworthys and petty stupid people. Nobody has any pride in their work anymore, there is too much paperwork, too many unnecessary rules and and everything is going to sh*t 🧐☹

This county is ruined by petty stupid rules and regulations, nobody has any pride in their work anymore and most are not trained properly. We are broken now, just look at the NHS. It is not fit for purpose anymore and money is being wasted on the upper layer of so called management. I can understand your frustration 🧐☹

Reactions: 2
My job involves answering over 2000 calls a day as a team. We're a very busy environment and we have a stats board on the wall which shows how many calls we've taken, how many calls each individual has taken etc, I work with a lady who will do absolutely anything to avoid answering phone calls, she doesn't stop talking about how much money she has (completely ignores the fact the majority of us that work there are single parents guiding our way through the cost of living crisis) she just talks absolute tit all day and goes on and on, what should be a 1 minute conversation turns in to a 10 minute conversation. She can easily sit there for an hour and not answer a phone call, yet within that hour, the majority of us have answered 15+ calls each. She's so lazy and it's really starting to grind my gears 😡 her husband is the one who really earns the money as he works away Monday-Friday which I would too if I had to be around her mouth all day. Here's the best bit, she preciously accused an ex colleague of bullying, yet this ex colleague did nothing wrong. Therefore, when we bring all of this up with management, nothing gets done about it, because she works overtime 😂 yeah she works overtime because she has zero priorities, no kids, no husband through the week. So her lazy behaviour is excused because she's an extra body in short staff periods!!

My new manager is already struggling. I reached out to him this morning about an urgent issue and he said: "I have my own workload too - I don't have time".

He was desperate to get the TL role and he now sees it's not just about "bossing people around". Never in my career have I met a manager who said this. Sure, they may say they're busy in that particular moment but may be free later. However, I never seen or dealt with a manager who said "I have my own workload too" when a report escalated something.

Another manager who went into management for all the wrong reasons.

Reactions: 7
I work with a narcissistic and manipulative engineer and I seem to be the only senior team member who can see right through him (the junior staff all hate him lol :LOL:)

Today, he really pissed me off. For context, we're a team of engineers and designers working on a well-known digital product.

We have a daily meeting where we report on what we've done yesterday, and what we'll do today. Our bosses are there and it's a chance to check in with your colleagues, someone might need help with a ticket, clarification on something etc (it's daily stand-up for those of you who work in an Agile environment lol). This head engineer waited until the end of all of our updates to drop a bomb that he was completely blocked on his task because a junior designer didn't upload an asset.

There is two problems with this statement;
1. You're an engineer, you don't need the asset to finish your job. We have placeholder images for 'emergencies' like this. I should know, I created them.
2. The junior designer DID upload the asset, this guy just didn't look in the right place for it.

Bear in mind, our manager is on this call and the head engineer was working on a time-sensitive & important task. So, it looked like a very senior engineer was completely blocked and it was all this junior guy's fault. Honestly, the 'let's throw him under a bus because I didn't do my job' is infuriating enough but doing it so publicly in front of the entire team & managers enraged me. As a senior designer, I had to intervene and point out that the head was not blocked due to the reasons I mentioned above.. I just couldn't have a junior member of staff getting in trouble over nothing with the head of department and team lead. I then had to have a separate call with the junior designer to reassure him that he didn't do anything wrong - he was devastated, took me ages to calm him down. I then had to speak to our team lead who assured me "It was just a miscommunication on [head engineer's] part, nothing more than that.".

Also duck head engineer for not asking me or the junior designer about his 'issue' privately first . If he truly couldn't find what he was looking for, we would have instructed him on where to find it. But nope, first any of us heard about this issue was on a team-wide call. What an absolute prick.

Reactions: 9
My manager is absolutely insane.

Our previous manager had created a team group chat in case of professional emergencies. He left but the group chat still existed. Given the previous manager is still on it so I didn't want to feed into it. One person in the group chat recently got promoted to manager, so through the group chat, I had their phone number. I had an emergency today and had to means no contact the new manager except via text. I didn't want to do this, but I pulled the new manager's phone number from the group chat (not ideal, but I actually apologized for doing this, I had no other option).

He read my text (where I simply said the cause for my delayed login). He blocked me right after without a response.

How do I know he blocked me? His picture and last available were visible before, then they disappeared after he read my text.

Was it ideal to pull his number via the the group chat? No, but I wasn't texting him to chit-chat. I wanted to advise him of an emergency and even apologized for pulling his number.

He could have just said: "Thanks for reaching out, this is no longer my number, please use XXX moving forward".

This is the same manager who was pushing for a WhatsApp group to text after business hours.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
My junior team mate is fine most of the time but can be a lazy git.
He also seems to have no thought for anyone else.
We work in a really old old building that is weird heat wise. It never really gets warm no matter the weather outside and he just strolls in and opens all the windows in here and I know it sounds daft but Im actually cold now. Its not very warm in Dublin today and its the fact he didnt say do you mind? Nope he wants the windows open so he does.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
We work in a really old old building that is weird heat wise. It never really gets warm no matter the weather outside and he just strolls in and opens all the windows in here and I know it sounds daft but Im actually cold now. Its not very warm in Dublin today and its the fact he didnt say do you mind? Nope he wants the windows open so he does.
Get assertive and tell him to ask others before he opens windows.

Reactions: 1
Get assertive and tell him to ask others before he opens windows.
He is in holiday mode as he finishes up today.
I try to be nice and explain how office life works but he just doesnt get it.
He is annoyed that he cant play music at his desk like they do in reception.
I told him reception are not suppsed to do that even if the bosses arent in as soneone can complain but he is still sulking away. Told him there is no issue with having his ear buds in as much as he wants if he wants music. He can be quiet childish in ways.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I worked with a woman like that. The first building we were in, she would open up the windows, one of which was right beside my desk. I would close it because I was the one sitting in a draught when it was open.

The second building had air con and she would set it to the lowest possible setting. The rest of us would just turn it back up. She still kept doing it anyway. Luckily she was a decent workmate otherwise!

My colleague takes personal calls at her desk. She’ll leave if other people are in the office but not if it’s just me and her.

I worked with a woman like that. The first building we were in, she would open up the windows, one of which was right beside my desk. I would close it because I was the one sitting in a draught when it was open.

The second building had air con and she would set it to the lowest possible setting. The rest of us would just turn it back up. She still kept doing it anyway. Luckily she was a decent workmate otherwise!
She was a control freak 😼😺

I have a fine coworker who will make besties with any new starter. Take them to the beach in and gets them to shout the first round… then realised when it’s his turn he’s ‘left his wallet on his desk’. Every time!

• Haha
Reactions: 4

Regarding point 1, I assume they sent you a new email, rather than forwarding their original one on? If I was copied into an email where someone was chasing a reply, the first thing I'd do would be to check the time and date the original email was sent.

And yeah, point 2 is annoying. I hate it when people put in a meeting over lunch and start the meeting invite with: "Sorry I know this time isn't ideal, but it's the only time we're all free". Yeah, cause it's our lunch break, head, you're not important enough for me to give that up.

My rant is lazy colleagues. I'm known as an expert in a particular area of the system, so people ask me questions about it a lot. I don't mind the odd query, but a lot of the time it slows me down. Rather than complain about it to my boss, I thought I'd turn it into a 'positive' (of sorts) by volunteering to write a detailed procedure note for it. That way I'm doing something extra and sharing my knowledge, but also it should help colleagues who are struggling.

However, so many of them still come to me. I even go back to them and say: "read page X of the procedure note I've explained it in there" (and helpfully attach another copy as they've probably lost or deleted the original) as a not-very-subtle hint, but they still ask me anyway.

If people send me useful guides or procedures, the first thing I do is save it somewhere safe and think it's great I won't have to bug someone about it next time. If only others behaved the same way!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.