Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
One of my co-workers is seriously starting to get on my nerves.

They dislike the role (I don't blame them) have discussed this with me. They've advised they have been looking for a job internally. Now, it's turned into them pining me every day with the following:
  • See the link - what do you think of this opportunity? It sounds great but I think the other one I interviewed for was better.
  • Today at 9am: Hey, just wanted to let you know my interview went really well yesterday
  • Today at 1pm: I have found another role but the interview went really well for role A so fingers crossed
I told them I had applied for an internal role too but got rejected. Their response was: "I have an interview on Thursday" and didn't even acknowledge what I'd said.

This person has limited work ethic and super self-absorbed. My tolerance is getting really thin at this stage. I'm swamped with work when they have nothing going on at the moment - I don't have time for this.
Next time they message about themselves hark back to your point. Until they acknowledge it. X

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I have a colleague who before meetings calls and updates me on what's going to be discussed, then after meetings calls me to follow up the discussion. And each call takes 30 mins. Plus the hour long meeting. It makes me want to stick pins in my eyes!
[/QUOTE]

I'd definitely have a word about that and try to nip it in the bud. I work in an industry where people just love to talk and every meeting always goes over. It can be soul destroying if the meeting is already 2 hours long. There's one or two suspects that fill ms with dread when I see them on the participants list, as I know they'll take over and speak for an inordinate amount of time and generally just drone on and on and on 😴

Going back to the other posts about colleagues being late - years ago I worked in a company that would pull you up for being 3 mins late back from your break or 5 mins late in the morning but would conveniently forget the late evenings they expect you to do without overtime. When I moved into more corporate environment I couldn't believe how no one cared when people come and go, once they do their core hours, attend their meetings and close out their tasks. I found that so motivating.

If you say so...

Chatty Member
Definitely everyone (but we are in pairs and I'm paired with her so I can't get away from it).
When you say nit picking, do you mean that they are highlighting things you need to work on without explaining the bigger impacts?

If that's the case; then every time they highlight a mistake I'd show interest and say "OK, could you explain the knock on effects of this - just so I can get my head around it?" or something similar. It should help them re-evaluate what they bring to your attention - if they have no answer other than "we just always do it this way" then disregard it and take it higher if they don't explain why they're bringing it up with you.

Keep us posted!

GlennCoco

VIP Member
My annoying colleague can be really nice. But then on the other hand, when something upsets her, or stresses her out, she can literally be the most angry and horrible person ever!

I've just taken a message off someone for her, who was taking a message from someone else and she absolutely let rip about the first person taking the message!

I'm dreading the next couple of months as our office is going to be ridiculously busy and we are all going to be super stressed 😔

• Sad

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
WWYD in this situation 😅

I have handed my notice in, I have annual leave booked for the whole of next week. I have absolutely nothing to do at work which is my reason for leaving, I mentioned upthread.
My manager is on annual leave this afternoon and tomorrow. I work in an isolated office a 5 min drive from the main office. I am the only person in my office who has to go over to the main office occasionally. There's me, two women who have told me I should do what I am suggesting, and one lad who is a huge grass.

Should I announce to the grass later on that I will be going to the other office tomorrow to tie up any loose ends before I leave and then just have my work laptop on from home so I can iron and pack for holiday? 😅
Absolutely.

• Heart

JustmeKC

VIP Member
Oh imagine if he was a woman and an assistant rather than a project manager 🙄 guarantee you it would have had a very different outcome.
Totally. It was very obvious his boss didn’t have any time or respect for women and the PM being desperate for his approval mimicked his behaviour a lot. I’m sure you can imagine how pleasant an environment it was 🙈🙈🙈🙈 I made a small mistake once and heard about it for weeks 🤣

emmer_moans

VIP Member
Management all like her so cant say anything to them.
I just ignore her now.
Ah, in that case ignoring seems best. I've been in 3 jobs in my life, in each there has been an obsessed Slimming World person. Though they haven't bought us fruit 😮

If you say so...

Chatty Member
Some senior stakeholder who just started in the company visited our office last week and asked me to send her an email to provide a breakdown of who handles each task for a particular portfolio. I did and a week later (today), she scheduled an "organizational meeting" with the team where she asked: "So I want to know who handles what for this particular portfolio.

She basically disregarded the email she asked me to send her last week (and I copied the whole team) and asked the same question during the call only to get the exact same answer from the team.

Absolute time waster.
You aren't valued by your workplace at all! You seem like you have so much to give, would you be willing to look for somewhere that values your talent? or are you just venting? (we all need to vent!)

bcfc999

Chatty Member
Fuck, my stomach dropped thinking someone from my office was on here 😂

Can confirm my awful troll colleague is not yours - there's multiple of them out there!
You're luck yours has been out of the office, mine seems to live there, the little cretin.

"Fuds" is exactly the kind of stupid shit mine would come out with. Ugh.
Hahaha I had the same reaction but mine has recently taken to covering the arse crack thankfully 😂 oh mine LOVES leaving the office - multiple fuds runs a day 😂 maybe you should suggest it to yours?
He's been spoken to about the stench many times but it doesn't seem to have had a lasting effect sadly.

• Haha

Rxt156

VIP Member
I am currently working with a micro manager. Every day there is something I am nit picked about. This morning was too much as im not sleeping well and a bit hormonal and when she came in the 80th time with a fault she had found , I started crying the minute she left the room.

How do you politely tell someone to back off?
No need to be polite about it really if it’s bothering you this much

Ensay

VIP Member
I swear some people in my company are the epitome of insane.

I am working on a deliverable for which the deadline is Friday. I have been busy with a million other things and this deliverable is just a voluntary support to someone else in the team. I'm already doing my work, covering for someone who is off sick and on top of this supporting this person on this additional project. It's quite a lot, not to mention this deliverable is a) very complex b) in a language I do not master and I have to use Google translate for everything because they're refusing to hand it over to our US colleagues who speak the language and manage the project more closely.

The project lead reached out to me asking for an expected timeframe as to when the deliverable would be finalized. I said it would be finalized by tomorrow COB (meaning a day before the deadline). Then his response was: "Why tomorrow? You've been working on this since last week, it should be done by now".

Is he serious? I'm only supporting someone on their project voluntarily with a whole lot of obstacles. I have my work and also doing the work of someone who is off sick. He's lucky I'm even planning on delivering this on time. I'm absolutely swamped and this guy is complaining it is not delivered
That's bad. Why did he ask for a completion date, if he was only going to moan about it?

Mrs Moon

VIP Member
My junior team mate is fine most of the time but can be a lazy git.
He also seems to have no thought for anyone else.
We work in a really old old building that is weird heat wise. It never really gets warm no matter the weather outside and he just strolls in and opens all the windows in here and I know it sounds daft but Im actually cold now. Its not very warm in Dublin today and its the fact he didnt say do you mind? Nope he wants the windows open so he does.
Get assertive and tell him to ask others before he opens windows.

If you say so...

Chatty Member
My annoyance currently is someone in my team as soon as my teams status goes to away she’ll call me if she knows I am WFH. I have been there longer than her, I am more senior than her and actually becoming her manager in the very near future. It’s like she is trying to catch me out or see what I’m doing. I’ve began to say I can’t talk now and make her wait to try and discourage her from doing it but tbh not sure it makes any difference. It’s really grating on me though. Anyone have similar?
why would you be any less available when WFH? Why make someone you hope to manage wait and discourage them from contacting you?

emmer_moans

VIP Member
It's the same where I am, only it's a full-day thing. I've never known anyone be 'allowed' to work though - it's essentially mandatory to go to the Xmas day out and AL isn't allowed.

🎉FUN!! 🎉
AL isn't allowed? What if you legitimately needed it off for something personal? 😮 To be honest I'd rather work anyway, the day they choose is usually about 3 days before we break up for Christmas (i work in admin in the higher education sector, so we do get lucky in that respect). It's always at a time when i have mega deadlines before Christmas so it's inconvenient to go for lunch at that time anyway.