Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It was aimed at your post. Don’t worry about feeling like a witch. He clearly doesn’t care about your time, or having appropriate boundaries.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I used to feel bad when someone would say ‘so what did you do all weekend’ I am a person who sometimes doesn’t like to leave my house bar walking the dog, and I’d feel soooo judged if I said ‘nothing’ and why should I when it’s my free time to choose what I do with it! I used to make things up lol 😂 or they’d ask about my dating life.. which was pointless because I could have the most exciting date ever and not tell them as it’s none of their sodding business! Lol. I had a job a few years ago where it was so busy we only had time to greet our colleagues hi and bye, during the day we’d barely have time to breathe with the workload. I should’ve stayed there really!
Exactly!
The witch I posted about upthread used to also say, if I (or anyone else) was about to have a week off 'oooh I would love a week off'.

As though she got no annual leave or something, and she would usually be just back from some exotic holiday, ugh.
So glad I never have to lay eyes on her fake face ever again.

I think this was aimed at my post but I would feel like a proper witch if I did block him but I don't know how to tell him to keep it to a few messages without him feeling hurt.
I would be upfront with him.
Tell him you don't have the time to deal with all of those calls and messages.

Reactions: 6
I would HATE that. What’s wrong with them?
Small talk is so deeply engrained in the culture it is honestly bizarre. The Head Of will write "how is everyone?" in the team IM daily, followed by a question about the weekend, weather, or something equally inane, and the rest of the team will go back and forth all day long with the most pointless uninteresting chat you have ever seen. I don't reply, I barely read it, as I have work to do..?

Meetings are the worst though - everyone on the call gets an individual "hi how are you" and then it's a 10 minute chat (at least) about the weather. There will be many breaks in the utterly boring - and frankly awkward - conversation where the lead can take control and get on with things... but they never do! And tbh I think it's because they feel like they can't, as small talk is such a big part of how people work with eachother here. All very odd

Reactions: 4
Exactly!
The witch I posted about upthread used to also say, if I (or anyone else) was about to have a week off 'oooh I would love a week off'.

As though she got no annual leave or something, and she would usually be just back from some exotic holiday, ugh.
So glad I never have to lay eyes on her fake face ever again.

I would be upfront with him.
Tell him you don't have the time to deal with all of those calls and messages.
Omg did we work with the same woman?lol Everytime I had a day off it was ‘oooo I wish I was off tomorrow’ ‘oooo you lucky thing’ I couldn’t have any time away from the place without being made to feel terrible (baring in mind I worked part time as I have a young child, she worked full time her kids had grown up and left home) like you say it’s such a relief when you know you don’t have to see them ever again. And aswell, such fake people

Reactions: 5
Someone needs to tell these people they are legally entitled to annual leave also 👀🤨🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Omg did we work with the same woman?lol Everytime I had a day off it was ‘oooo I wish I was off tomorrow’ ‘oooo you lucky thing’ I couldn’t have any time away from the place without being made to feel terrible (baring in mind I worked part time as I have a young child, she worked full time her kids had grown up and left home) like you say it’s such a relief when you know you don’t have to see them ever again. And aswell, such fake people
Maybe 😁
Sadly though there's lots of that ilk around.

Reactions: 3
My manager wants robots not people. Every mistake is called out but moreso my team. It feels like other people that report into her have their mistakes brushed under the carpet. I've 4 people reporting into me and 2 are so nervous of making a mistake. I've told her that this culture of fear could lead to someone trying to hide or cover up a mistake but she doesnt care.

• Sad
My manager's manager.

I received an email regarding a non-urgent project and my manager's manager was cc'ed. With 1 hour of receiving this email, my manager's manager pinged me at almost 6pm to ask me if I responded to the email. I said "No, I have been busy with something else and it is past the end of the day here" (they're US based). I was stuck on an urgent deadline driven task.

Then they told me: "OK, just email them saying you will be sending this tomorrow". Not only am I swamped tomorrow, so I don't need to put this type of pressure on me for a non-urgent item, but also, I don't need to be monitored as to whether I responded to a stakeholder within an hour regarding a non-pressing issue. After 7 years in the business, I know how to handle stakeholders, thanks.

I hate this team from top to bottom.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
My manager's manager.

I received an email regarding a non-urgent project and my manager's manager was cc'ed. With 1 hour of receiving this email, my manager's manager pinged me at almost 6pm to ask me if I responded to the email. I said "No, I have been busy with something else and it is past the end of the day here" (they're US based). I was stuck on an urgent deadline driven task.

Then they told me: "OK, just email them saying you will be sending this tomorrow". Not only am I swamped tomorrow, so I don't need to put this type of pressure on me for a non-urgent item, but also, I don't need to be monitored as to whether I responded to a stakeholder within an hour regarding a non-pressing issue. After 7 years in the business, I know how to handle stakeholders, thanks.

I hate this team from top to bottom.
It sounds like you manager has passed this up, could it be that you have misunderstood the priority? Perhaps they have identified that there’s not enough communication? Either way, it certainly sounds like you have a weak manager!

Reactions: 1
It sounds like you manager has passed this up, could it be that you have misunderstood the priority? Perhaps they have identified that there’s not enough communication? Either way, it certainly sounds like you have a weak manager!
There was no enough communication because every single time I set up a call in relation to this particular item, I was stood up. Every single week, I was stood up and asked to postpone the meeting to the week after, stood up rinse and repeat. This went on for months on end. To me, this type of behaviour on a project signifies a low priority / interest from these stakeholders on this project. They led the project, I executed. The problem is they didn't lead at all, so how could I execute anything in these circumstances?

There was no urgency specified in the original's stakeholder's email. It was a generic ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Honestly, most managers are the kind of people who should be nowhere near management 😂 demanding, overconfident in their skills, lazy, poor people skills, poor decision making, never take responsibility, blame others when things go wrong, etc... but they're there because they're power hungry

Reactions: 11
Honestly, most managers are the kind of people who should be nowhere near management 😂 demanding, overconfident in their skills, lazy, poor people skills, poor decision making, never take responsibility, blame others when things go wrong, etc... but they're there because they're power hungry
I'm a manager and I completely agree. My own manager has brought up in 1:1s that I need to be comfortable with not being liked. Just because I treat people the way I would like to be treated. She has repeatedly made jibes about me being too nice. I am no push over and will defend my team and pushback when needed but she doesnt like that either. She wants me to be a "yes woman" when it comes to her but treat everyone else like crap.

I worked my last shift on Sunday.
I didn’t get a signed card or anything 🤣
Not arsed about a gift, I know times are hard for people but abit of acknowledgement would have been nice. 6 years of hardwork and dedication in the NHS.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
Had one of those in my last place. She was so controlling that she let a new admin go for printing too much 🤪 She had to put her stamp on everything that came through her department and had to put her two cents in any everything that went on in the company. How utterly draining.
I used to work for a company that had a lot of culture issues that stemmed from the top. One of my jobs was to update risks and issues registers, which I printed in colour so you could see the red, amber and green status. I was reprimanded for printing six copies x 6 pages for a steering committee meeting. Um ... if they weren't in colour, nobody would be able to see what rating they were at! I identified a workaround by typing 'red,' 'amber,' and 'green,' but the complainer had an issue with that too. I'm not really sure what else she expected?

Ironically, she was often in on the weekends printing her son's university assignments in colour!

Someone needs to tell these people they are legally entitled to annual leave also 👀🤨🤣
They sound like martyrs who think the place can't survive without them there all the time.

Reactions: 3
Work WhatsApp groups.

I'm sorry, but a big NO. If you work an office-based job, you do not need a work WhatsApp group. If you are sick, then you should be able to contact your manager via text (or WhatsApp) but you do not need to have the whole team in a group. The manager sold it was "we need the group in case of urgent matters outside of business hours".

Well, "outside of business hours" is the key word here. My time outside of business hours does not belong to the company.

I've had someone repeatedly text me at 11pm on Saturday trying to "flirt" after he pulled my phone number from a work WhatsApp group. Absolutely not doing this again.

I told the manager I'm not comfortable with this - not to mention, WhatsApp groups go against company policy. I need to set boundaries, they already work me to the bone and want to be able to reach me outside of business hours. Where does it stop?

Nah, they can get you a work phone if they want you to have work WhatsApp on your phone, and you can just turn that off at 5pm every day.

Work WhatsApp groups.

I'm sorry, but a big NO. If you work an office-based job, you do not need a work WhatsApp group. If you are sick, then you should be able to contact your manager via text (or WhatsApp) but you do not need to have the whole team in a group. The manager sold it was "we need the group in case of urgent matters outside of business hours".

Well, "outside of business hours" is the key word here. My time outside of business hours does not belong to the company.

I've had someone repeatedly text me at 11pm on Saturday trying to "flirt" after he pulled my phone number from a work WhatsApp group. Absolutely not doing this again.

I told the manager I'm not comfortable with this - not to mention, WhatsApp groups go against company policy. I need to set boundaries, they already work me to the bone and want to be able to reach me outside of business hours. Where does it stop?
No no no and just no!
I will only answer my work phone for a very small number of key stakeholders outside of work hours, and only if I happen to have it on me (going to/from work as an example). As a result of work phone, no one needs my personal number and I would not be engaging in whatsapp groups with colleagues. I feel for you!

Reactions: 5
No no no and just no!
I will only answer my work phone for a very small number of key stakeholders outside of work hours, and only if I happen to have it on me (going to/from work as an example). As a result of work phone, no one needs my personal number and I would not be engaging in whatsapp groups with colleagues. I feel for you!
Wholeheartedly agree.

I told my manager I'm not comfortable with this and they said: "I'll make sure no one texts on weekends"...It's not just about weekends. No co-worker aside from my manager should have my phone number. It's still a "no" for me. This whole WhatsApp group is a can of worms waiting to be opened.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.