Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I popped in to a client's office before to pick up a box of something he wants me to start working on first thing tomorrow. It's night-time where I am, and I have a key and permission to go in at anytime.

I was confused and surprised to see someone sleeping in the reception area (in a sleeping bag - I went in very late and woke them up when I flicked all the lights on)!

My client has two offices on this floor; the rest of the floor is leased by another business altogether (including reception). Given that's where they were sleeping, I'm going to assume that they are somehow related to that business.

It's very odd and concerning ... nobody should be sleeping in offices! I've never seen this person before, although I only pop in occasionally so don't know everyone who works there, but now I can't stop thinking about it. I texted my client to let him know because I thought someone should be aware; in his usual style, he just texted back, "thanks."

They weren't the cleaners, as - weirdly - they've never had any ... people just clean up after themselves and occasionally once in a blue moon someone will get the vacuum cleaner out and give the floors a going-over.

So, so strange.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
We are a team of 4.
  • One of us got promoted to manager and is looking to handover his work to me (which entails the most complex projects in the portfolio)
  • Another one has been "sick" or on "holidays" since March. This person confessed to me that they're looking to leave the team as soon as they make it to 12 months (they've been in the team for 8/9 months) and they're just "buying some time now". They called in sick again yesterday (a week after their return from holiday when they were already sick before their holiday). Now, I have to replace them on their first project since they started.
  • Another one is looking to go part time in a few weeks and will need someone to cover for them.
When I found out about all this in the space of 2/3 days, I almost lost my mind. I have to absorb everyone's work on top of mine and no sign of any promotion soon. This is the worst team I've ever worked in. If there was no recession, I would have resigned without a plan B. I can't cope with this any longer. This new manager dumping all this work on me under the excuse of "professional development". Effing BS.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
We are a team of 4.
  • One of us got promoted to manager and is looking to handover his work to me (which entails the most complex projects in the portfolio)
  • Another one has been "sick" or on "holidays" since March. This person confessed to me that they're looking to leave the team as soon as they make it to 12 months (they've been in the team for 8/9 months) and they're just "buying some time now". They called in sick again yesterday (a week after their return from holiday when they were already sick before their holiday). Now, I have to replace them on their first project since they started.
  • Another one is looking to go part time in a few weeks and will need someone to cover for them.
When I found out about all this in the space of 2/3 days, I almost lost my mind. I have to absorb everyone's work on top of mine and no sign of any promotion soon. This is the worst team I've ever worked in. If there was no recession, I would have resigned without a plan B. I can't cope with this any longer. This new manager dumping all this work on me under the excuse of "professional development". Effing BS.
TheGlossy, you have to say no- it will ruin your mental health. Your workplace is a tit show and you deserve better.

Reactions: 9
TheGlossy, you have to say no- it will ruin your mental health. Your workplace is a tit show and you deserve better.
Absolutely agree - start looking for a way out.

I know it's easy to say get out, but I would have a concern for your health if you were to stay there longterm with more and more pressure piling on.

Reactions: 7
When you’re handing over work, go through it all and they’re like “yeah, yeah great. Can you make a guide?”. How old are you, 6? Take notes and create your own guide like I had to. What’s the point in booking time in with me for a demo if you’re just going to sit there glass-eyed then ask for a guide. Not happening.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Someone has heated fish in the microwave and the entire break area wreaks of it. 🤢
I worked with a woman who ate reheated fish at her desk every single day. Each day she'd feign a faux apology like "sorry guys I know you're probably disgusted" and yet she'd carry on no fucks given 🤢😂

• Sick
Reactions: 11
I worked with a woman who ate reheated fish at her desk every single day. Each day she'd feign a faux apology like "sorry guys I know you're probably disgusted" and yet she'd carry on no fucks given 🤢😂
Fish & eggs should be banned from communal environments 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 14
People are like that are asking for a smack (if you only could do that eh) it's like they don't know the unwritten rule where you don't heat up smelly fish at work. Eat it at home!
I've only known this woman for 3 days and she's getting on my nerves! She spreads her legs onto chairs and lifts her dress up whilst eating. Nobody needs to see that.

Fish & eggs should be banned from communal environments 🤣
I hate the smell of eggs. I always heave in front of people when they eat egg sandwiches. 🤣

• Sick
Reactions: 3
I was evidently sick (you could hear my hoarse voice) and worked from home, and I was told to go into the office more.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
This is a random question but on a weekly basis how many emails do you come back to in work if you had a weeks annual leave?

I recently had 3 sick days due to Covid and I told my manager how many emails I had when I came back (approx 250) as it took me a couple of days to get through them and her reaction is that she gets twice that many and that she didnt think it was excessive.

We have a big culture of ccing someone and then if you dont read it being given out to for missing something even though it wasnt addressed to you. I feel so much of my day is spent reading emailings rather than doing anything.

I have spoken to colleagues at similar levels and they have said they dont get nearly as much.

• Wow
I worked in a place where they forbid fish and eggs to be eaten in the office ... of course someone complained and its was overturned.

This is a random question but on a weekly basis how many emails do you come back to in work if you had a weeks annual leave?

I recently had 3 sick days due to Covid and I told my manager how many emails I had when I came back (approx 250) as it took me a couple of days to get through them and her reaction is that she gets twice that many and that she didnt think it was excessive.

We have a big culture of ccing someone and then if you dont read it being given out to for missing something even though it wasnt addressed to you. I feel so much of my day is spent reading emailings rather than doing anything.

I have spoken to colleagues at similar levels and they have said they dont get nearly as much.
I get around 100 a day most days - lots of them being meeting requests so that’s fun 🤣

• Wow
Reactions: 2

It depends on what sort of work you do, I guess.

When I worked in project management, I was admitted to hospital and had no web access; after about five days away I returned to 100 emails which I thought was excessive. But 250 in the space of three days is far worse!

Could you create rules to handle the emails - so anything you're just copied into goes to a 'read later' folder?

I had 8 days off and came back to 150 emails. Over half could just be deleted or marked as read.

My husband was off for the same period of time and had over 800 emails.

So it definitely depends what work you do.

I would definitely recommend rules like another poster suggested. As it will make it easier to see the woods for the trees.

Reactions: 1
I get around 100 a day most days - lots of them being meeting requests so that’s fun 🤣
I work across three inboxes and can easily get over 100 emails a day. One particularly horrific afternoon I had over 250 just in one inbox - it literally made me ill. The organisation I work for has been in existence for many, many years and I often dream of what it must have been like in the days when everything was done by letter and there was a typing pool to respond to stuff. It must have been wonderful.

I work across three inboxes and can easily get over 100 emails a day. One particularly horrific afternoon I had over 250 just in one inbox - it literally made me ill. The organisation I work for has been in existence for many, many years and I often dream of what it must have been like in the days when everything was done by letter and there was a typing pool to respond to stuff. It must have been wonderful.
The typing pool days sound dreamy! We are trying to seriously reduce our email traffic across the organisation which means I get lots of information to filter through and condense into what’s actually needed for the rest of the team. We have quite a lot of email approvals for work pieces too, and some of them need 3 approvals so there could be 15 emails about the same thing looking for more info etc - fun stuff!

It can be hard to manage sometimes.

Reactions: 2
Thanks. I work as an accountant in industry. One day I had one day of annual leave and came back to 200 so it can vary.

I need to manage my time better but I just feel swamped.

I worked in a place where they forbid fish and eggs to be eaten in the office ... of course someone complained and its was overturned.
I would throw up if someone was eating really smelly food near me.
I sat opposite a muncher for some time in one job. The day began with her cracking open yoghurts and 'mmmm mmmmm ing' her way through them. Next up apples, bite crunch crunch.
And on it went all day or at least it felt like it. The guy who sat next to her was going quietly mad.

There was a suggestion box where staff could drop in suggestions anonymously and someone suggested that food should be eaten in the room that was provided for the purpose, not at desks.

The room was right there on the same floor, very convenient, no excuse for not using it. Muncher couldn't believe it. I left shortly afterwards so I have no idea if it stopped her or not.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Multiple instances this week. Smh.

Ignoring someone at work is never OK
One of my co-workers is suddenly ignoring me out of the blue. We were fine, nothing more than just professional chit-chat on occasion (we never talked about anything personal, just work).

I was leaving the office yesterday and crossed paths with them. I wished them a "nice evening", they looked at me, completely ignored me and kept walking. They clearly heard me and looked at me. Very rude.

It's really unprofessional to ignore someone in the workplace. Unless this person has insulted you, been highly inappropriate or maliciously sabotaged your work (which I obviously didn't do), there is no excuse for ignoring someone in the workplace especially when they're just trying to be polite by wishing you a pleasant evening. It's downright bullying and I won't let anyone make me feel uncomfortable where I work.

Talking about your work crush and eyeing every man that walks past is a big NO
I've had worked crushed in the past, but no one ever knew about it. It's downright inappropriate to discuss this with anyone at work. Yet, my manager makes a point to talk about his work "crushes" all day long to me and ping me whenever they see a man walking by. I don't care about any of these men as I've not interest in mingling with anyone in this awful workplace. I couldn't care less who likes who and more particularly having this written record on Skype or Teams. Inappropriate.

Derailing calls and wasting my time
There was something urgent that someone needed help with (despite the numerous trainings I already provided). I was swamped but I scheduled a 30 minutes call to go through the spreadsheet, explain the logic and show them what needs to be done. One of the attendees derailed the call for a good 20 minutes and every single time I tried to return to the actual urgency at end, they cut me off to throw yet another irrelevant point to derail the call. It was only 2 minutes before the end of the meeting that they started asking questions about what the call was actually about and I was so annoyed that I said: "Well, this is the point I have been trying to get to this entire call" then they suggested I organize another call in the afternoon. I refused saying I had no capacity (which was true). I schedule a meeting to help you on something that is not my job, you derail it entirely despite my efforts to redirect it and you have the audacity to ask for another call because you didn't address what needed to be addressed during this call? Absolutely not. My time is not at anyone's disposal.

I ended up sending an email with bullet point guidance on what to do and specifically stating that 1, 2,3 did not require any action from our part (which was one of the crucial points I desperately tried to address during the call). The following day, this person who derailed the call comes back telling me they've done 1,2,3 and it wasn't normal they needed to do it as it wasn't within their remit (SMH - I wrote it black on white no action was required). Some people are time wasters.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.